What is the last Television series you watched?

Jay

It's watchable. But like many of these high production value US series, once the dust has settled you see the same nucleus  - family in trouble, distrust starts seeping in, outside forces circling in  on them - and it's just not enough these days with so much stuff coming every week. I halfway enjoyed things like the new 'Get Shorty' just because the protagonists are more interesting personalities than all those squares.

Another recent disappointment: 'The Crossing'. Starts out with a great sci-fi premise, settles for mediocre chase thriller after two episodes.

The lasting first impression I had of Ozark was the pallidly solemn lighting. It's like the DP was an ISF certified calibrator and made Cinema Accurate: The TV Show.

I saw it last year, don't remeber much beyond the lake vistas. I'm kind of wary on 'The Medicis'. I highly value Nicholas Meyer but i'm not sure if his literary acumen will figure...or the usual 'Dynasty' dramatics.

16 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

I heard that Wallace Shawn has a good guest turn on Young Sheldon.  He makes even the stinkiest turd of a show or movie bearable.

He’s the reason I love Melinda And Melinda so much, an otherwise much maligned Woody Allen flick. 

9 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

He’s the reason I love Melinda And Melinda so much, an otherwise much maligned Woody Allen flick. 

The movie's okay. Not my favourite WA flick, but it's alright.

Safe.jpg

The pilot of Netflix's Safe. Easy to watch (just like Big Little Lies is easy to watch) and Michael C. Hall 's British accent is funny because no one looks more American than 'Dexter'. 

I've to watch the final episode of the first season of Lost in Space and second (and unfortunately, final :crymore:) season of Designated Survivor, then I'm moving on to Westworld and to Safe like Alex above.

We watched the first episode of Cobra Kai tonight.... and enjoyed it!  It’s cliched as hell but in a kind of comforting way.  Surprisingly enjoyable.

Cobra Kai

Simply fantastic. One of the most flat out enjoyable, watchable series I've seen in a long time. Binged over two night and left wanting more.  A fun, earnest show with an amazing amount of heart and full of unexpected twists. Lots of callbacks to the Karate Kid films, but new enough that it's way more than a nostalgia show. You find your loyalties and sympathies switching back and forth as you watch, and it does a nice job of subverting your expectations.

Highly recommended.

I've heard nothing but good things about that one!

La-La Land Records is even releasing the original score to it next week

24 minutes ago, Nick1066 said:

Cobra Kai

Simply fantastic. One of the most flat out enjoyable, watchable series I've seen in a long time. Binged over two night and left wanting more.  A fun, earnest show with an amazing amount of heart and full of unexpected twists. Lots of callbacks to the Karate Kid films, but new enough that it's way more than a nostalgia show. You find your loyalties and sympathies switching back and forth as you watch, and it does a nice job of subverting your expectations.

Highly recommended.

Interesting. But did you feel the same kind of besottedment about Stranger Things?

2 minutes ago, Quintus said:

Interesting. But did you feel the same kind of besottedment about Stranger Things?

No. Stranger Things never really hit the right buttons for me. In fact here's what I said about it here the other day...

On 5/9/2018 at 6:11 PM, Nick1066 said:

Right. Last night I got halfway through binge watching Stranger Things 2 and I think I'm ditching it.

I enjoyed season 1 well enough, but never thought the show lived up to its hype. It's certainly not as good as the press it gets, and I'm just starting to find it increasingly unoriginal and fatiguing to watch. I don't find any of the characters particularly compelling, and whatever the big mysteries are, I remain wholly uninterested in them. Even the nostalgia factor, manufactured as it was, isn't that strong for me. And on top of all that, I find Winona Ryder's character to be among the most annoying on television. The type of person I normally can't abide.

There's just way too many high quality shows that I don't have time to watch as it is, so yeah I'm out.

12 hours ago, Nick1066 said:

Cobra Kai

Highly recommended.

It's that a pure comedy show? 

I'm rewatching Arrested Development. Absolutely genius farce writing with an edit that, when at full throttle, is just exhilarating. Anyone who avoided this show needs to take a good look in the mirror... to make sure they have a reflection.

Psst, don't tell Alex it's a pure comedy. This totally isn't TV for miserys.

It's really good if, though rather sad depiction of the lives of young black americans. The humorous aspects are subtle, character-based, mostly.

I thought Westworld episode 4 was probably the best episode of the entire series so far.  Last night's (episode 5) was just pretty good.  Not a classic, but some good character fleshing out as the plot inched forward a bit.

Prisoners of War

I try to watch the episodes in order whenever they pop up on Link TV, but it's quite well done. (And it doesn't help that the episodes are untitled.) It explores territory one doesn't see often on television, and it provides a unique look into Israeli culture and everyday life. Yoram Toledano and Ishai Golan really delve into their characters' past traumas and how it affects them upon returning to their families. Gideon Raff weaves a steady yet engaging story, and it's just good television. 

It's no wonder Showtime adapted it into "Homeland", it's dramatically potent and the themes resonate strongly. It's a shame Prisoners didn't get a third season to give the characters a proper sendoff. 

I just saw ads for a new Amazon series version of Picnic at Hanging Rock, starring Natalie Dormer from Game of Thrones.  Could be good.

The original movie is, like, one of THE iconic movies of Australian cinema, right?  I never saw it.

Well sure, but especially for Australia is what my impression was, since their homegrown film industry was still quite fledgling in the early 70s.  I feel like it comes up in articles as "Australian cinema starts here."

Ethereally captivating film, I love it. The vanishing sequence itself is weirdly unsettling; it basically instructed David Lynch in how to film eerie uncanniness in his more spooky Twin Peaks: The Return sequences. But there's all the dreamy burgeoning womanhood content in there too, which nails the feel of the period. It's also one of those films where the imagery and music feel intrinsically linked and woven into the fabric of the picture. I may check out this show, but I can't see how it can possibly better the film, or accurately capture any of those qualities quite as effectively.

Well yeah Weir was first on my list.  I asked if there was a fourth iconic Australian director to include.

Mel Gibson wouldn't count IMO because none of his movies as a director are especially Australian in their story and he's only directed one movie in Australia and it was standing in for America (Hacksaw).

I was disappointed when none of my JWFan comrades seemed to bother with Campion's Top of the Lake. Again, a reminder that Liz Moss is smashing it this decade.