What is the last Television series you watched?

Jay

3 minutes ago, Pellaeon said:

Right now we’re binge rewatching Arrested Development.

Same here actually. I can't get over how it's fifteen years old but it looks and feels like it literally just came out.

1 hour ago, Pellaeon said:

We love New Girl. We’re only two episodes into the new season. Nick and Schmidt are hilarious, as always. It took Winston a while to find his shtick, but he eventually started stealing the show in the last few seasons.

Oh sure, the middle seasons are the best in New Girl, once it drifted from it's original premise of "look how adorkable Zoey is with all these crazy male roommates!" and settled into it's "Friends hanging out" style show, but the final season felt like they weren't really trying and ignored most all of the supporting cast or used them in weird ways.  The final episode especially was pretty meh.

1 hour ago, Pellaeon said:

Right now we’re binge rewatching Arrested Development.

1 hour ago, Quintus said:

Same here actually. I can't get over how it's fifteen years old but it looks and feels like it literally just came out.

I'm planning on starting AD from episode 1 again too before starting Season 5.  I've seen Seasons 1-3 twice and love the shit out of them, and watched Season 4 when it came out and thought it was mostly meh.  But I'm excited to see the remixed version of 4 and of course 5

The remix honestly didn't seem too much different from the original airing for me.  With the actors not together for significant amounts of time, there's not really a way to edit it into something resembling seasons 1-3.  The episodes are shorter and include multiple storylines - sometimes just two characters' storylines.  One thing that I didn't remember from the original airing, and which is crystal clear in the mostly chronological remix, is that season 4 takes place over YEARS.  The main takeaway for me in the season 4 remix is:  1)  a lot of the jokes are really funny, and 2) they probably just edited these down to TV-airing length for syndication deals (every episode includes significant "previously on" stuff, which makes it pretty redundant if you're binging them).

We only watched the first episode of S5 so far (we were more interested in watching Kimmy Schmidt, which came out either the day before or the day after).  It felt A LOT like season 4, or the remixed season 4, because it included a good lump of "previously on" recap, and because none of the characters' storylines really involved any others.  It was all also direct story follow-up to season 4.  All of the characters at least appeared in the episode, so I guess it was a step up.  There was some REALLY funny stuff, specifically a Michael and Buster scene and some George Michael/Maeby business.  My understanding is that at some point during this season, the prior season storylines wrap up a bit, the cast comes together, and it feels more like "the old way."

The new season of Kimmy Schmidt was really good, btw.

Season 4 (the original edit) of Arrested Development started to pay off halfway through the season starting with the Lucille episode, as I recall. Yeah the magic and momentum of the original series is gone, but there’s some great stuff there. Glad to hear Season 5 reunites the whole cast.

It was clear in the original version of season 4 that it takes place over YEARS as well.  It shows stuff as early as George Michael and Michael on the boat directly after the season 3 finale, goes all the way through the whole financial crisis of '08, and the big Cinco De Quatro finale is supposed to be in 2012

I thought Kimmy Schmidt season 4A was mostly meh.  Some funny moments of  course, but a step backward after how great season 3 was after the subpar season 2.  Of course, it's only half a season, so a lot of this was setup for stuff that will presumably pay off in season 4B in January.

Jon Hamm was great of course

1 hour ago, Jay said:

It was clear in the original version of season 4 that it takes place over YEARS as well.  It shows stuff as early as George Michael and Michael on the boat directly after the season 3 finale, goes all the way through the whole financial crisis of '08, and the big Cinco De Quatro finale is supposed to be in 2012

I don't tend to rewatch shows (or movies for that matter), so it's probably something I understood in 2012 and then didn't think about again until watching the remix in 2018.

I feel like an IT genius for getting the BBC iPlayer app to work on my American Apple TV!  So much easier than connecting my laptop to the TV.

It does suck though they don't offer subtitles on the Apple TV.  Dumb!

I agree with Ridley Scott that the highlight of AMC's The Terror is the underwater scene (to check the propeller).

Anyway, has anyone already watched his other new production Killing Eve?

MV5BYTVhMmUwZTktMGJlZC00NDUyLWExYjktNDBk

Heard good things about Killing Eve, might be our next show after Westworld S2 and Handmaid's tale S2

Black Sails, season one

Nice (might actually be the good one of this homogeneous trend of gritty pseudo-historicals with blood and sex), but I would probably cut it down considerably. Good lead. Awesome cliffhanger. Nice music. It's a shame they butcher McCreary's cool adapted cue in the climatic moment of episode seven.

On 13/06/2018 at 7:09 PM, Brónach said:

Black Sails, season one

Nice (might actually be the good one of this homogeneous trend of gritty pseudo-historicals with blood and sex), but I would probably cut it down considerably. Good lead. Awesome cliffhanger. Nice music. It's a shame they butcher McCreary's cool adapted cue in the climatic moment of episode seven.

S1 is very slow (and has bad CGI), but it really starts to soar in S2.

I just discovered that every season of the Dukes of Hazzard is streaming on Prime!  I know what I’m doing with my free and clear evenings from now on.  Already watched one episode.  Man I have such a soft spot for this stupid old show.

46 minutes ago, Jay said:

The OA's second season drops soon too

Really? Great! I hope it's a good as the first season.

I hope so too!

I maybe shouldn't have said "soon"; They recently (a month ago) finished filming it, though.  I'd guess it'll be out before the end of the year?

On 08/06/2018 at 5:05 PM, Stefancos said:

Ironic, considering the title...

Good one, actually.

Another thing about Arrested Development and its curious cult following is the sheer number of famous faces it attracts in either cameo or properly fleshed out parts. Off the top of of my head I can list:

Henry Winkler

Liza Minnelli

Charlize Theron

Ben Stiller

Julia Louis-Dreyfus

Carl Weathers 

Seth Rogan 

Martin Short

Tom Jane

Judge Reinhold

There are doubtless quite a few more. 

On 08/06/2018 at 5:56 PM, Jay said:

I'm planning on starting AD from episode 1 again too before starting Season 5.  I've seen Seasons 1-3 twice and love the shit out of them, and watched Season 4 when it came out and thought it was mostly meh.  But I'm excited to see the remixed version of 4 and of course 5

We're about 8 episodes into the remix and it's an abomination. For me, I would consider the first 22 episodes (S1) to be the very strongest crème de la crème of the entire series. It's just on fire from beginning to end. Is this something of a phenomenon for a comedy series' first run? Most I can think of start out fair to middling before finding their feet (and audience) later on. Curb started out strong too, and got better. But I think AD enjoyed its most electric ensemble farce in that first batch. 

On 08/06/2018 at 6:07 PM, mstrox said:

The remix honestly didn't seem too much different from the original airing for me.  With the actors not together for significant amounts of time, there's not really a way to edit it into something resembling seasons 1-3.  The episodes are shorter and include multiple storylines - sometimes just two characters' storylines.  One thing that I didn't remember from the original airing, and which is crystal clear in the mostly chronological remix, is that season 4 takes place over YEARS.  The main takeaway for me in the season 4 remix is:  1)  a lot of the jokes are really funny, and 2) they probably just edited these down to TV-airing length for syndication deals (every episode includes significant "previously on" stuff, which makes it pretty redundant if you're binging them).

I'm praying the second half is significantly improved over the near unwatchable episodes I've seen so far. It's an absolute car crash, just as I remember it as being when I gave up with the original cut a few years back. Ron Howard's narration is drastically increased on this occasion to basically do all the heavy lifting, but it gets to the point where instead of him being used sparingly as a handy storyteller or delivering the punchline to a long setup joke, you just want him to shut the fuck up. Please Ron, just stop fucking talking for five minutes. Sometimes he even speaks over the characters! 

In the earlier seasons, Howard was an essential part of the formula, but this is too much. 

So yeah, season 4 is absolutely horrible for me, but I'm willing to at least try and make it through to the second half, and see if any of these claims of "it gets good" I've seen online are right. And because I want to feel "complete" as I go into the brand new fifth season. 

But either way, Arrested Dev is still one of the best TV comedies I've seen. Because of its first three seasons. 

It is pretty damn impressive how spectacularly good Arrested Development was RIGHT from the get-go. I often find with comedies it can take a handful of episodes, or even a season or two, to really find its footing and find the formula that "works".  AD figured it out right away!

Tonight is the premiere of show called Yellowstone.  It’s created by the writer of Sicario, Hell or High Water, and Wind River.  It stars Kevin Costner.  I don’t have the Paramount Network so I’ll have to torrent it tomorrow.  Sounds interesting!

When I just saw this news on Reddit I initially thought, wtf? But an anthology series is fair enough. Set in a Japanese POW camp, this could be decent. 

p05zxj67.jpg

I watch the entire thing and it's really not as bad as everyone says it is.  Sure, it's not I, Claudius, but what is?!

Watched The Wine Show sporadically over the past few months. If you want to watch British actors drink wine in villas across Europe this is the show for you!

Started Comedians In Cars Getting Coffee now that Netflix has it. Great show with a brisk run time that makes it easy to watch in casual bursts.

Chose The Sopranos as my next dramatic show to watch. Just watched the first episode so far.