What is the last Television series you watched?

Jay

It's funny just over the past year our Netflix use has plummeted.  We mostly use it for the kids shows (my daughter is in love with the Magic School bus reboot).  We just don't have much interest in the originals they've been coming out with.

The newer originals aren't as good as their initial crop, and also the later seasons of their older better originals are nowhere near as good as they were when they started

The big picture, though, really, is that there's SO many content creators/providers out there today making SO much content, there's just tons of good AND bad content at every provider

6 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

It's funny just over the past year our Netflix use has plummeted.  We mostly use it for the kids shows (my daughter is in love with the Magic School bus reboot).  We just don't have much interest in the originals they've been coming out with.

Stick to NBC, wojo!

Our netflix viewing usually starts and ends in 10 to 15 minutes as most shows are not that good and there is a high percentage of bad films on there

There are a lot of highly touted comedies that are dreadful

Our TV watching in general has gone down a lot.  We pretty much do one show at a time.  We're gonna try the Amy Adams miniseries now that Westworld is done.  Great British Bake Off, aka the greatest show on television, should be back just in time for our baby's birth, the perfect salve for weary parents of a newborn.

Just now, Stefancos said:

Normal TV is dead!

For me normal tv consists of all outlets available to me. Its like Sirius XM radio. Lots of channels all playimg mostly crap. Every now and then something good and great

11 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Our TV watching in general has gone down a lot.  We pretty much do one show at a time.  We're gonna try the Amy Adams miniseries now that Westworld is done.  Great British Bake Off, aka the greatest show on television, should be back just in time for our baby's birth, the perfect salve for weary parents of a newborn.

We jumped to Handmaid's Tale season 2 once we finished Westworld season 2.  It's depressing AF

Amy Adams miniseries?  Sharp Objects?  Is it any good?

22 minutes ago, Jay said:

We jumped to Handmaid's Tale season 2 once we finished Westworld season 2.  It's depressing AF

Amy Adams miniseries?  Sharp Objects?  Is it any good?

Havent started it yet!  And yeah I quit on Handmaid’s Tale S2 after 2 episodes.  It just felt like wallowing.

i wanted to give up after 2; We've seen 4 now and I might tell my wife she can watch the rest without me

The show is so cyclical.  Every episode is : Things are bad for June -> there's a ray of hope, things are looking up June! -> things didn't go as planned, now things are EVEN WORSE for June.  Repeat next week!

3 minutes ago, Jay said:

i wanted to give up after 2; We've seen 4 now and I might tell my wife she can watch the rest without me

The show is so cyclical.  Every episode is : Things are bad for June -> there's a ray of hope, things are looking up June! -> things didn't go as planned, now things are EVEN WORSE for June.  Repeat next week!

Made me think of that part in Tomorrowland where Hugh Laurie bemoans that humanity turned dystopia into its primary form of entertainment.

One thing I miss is how networks used to allow for shows that felt more like hanging out or "slice of life."  Shows like Northern Exposure and Gilmore Girls.  Streaming shows require a certain degree of narrative drive to encourage binging.  I like shows where it's more like "here's what these interesting characters are up to this week".  In terms of narrative they were closer to less melodramatic primetime soaps than anything.

I will say that I can't effing wait for season 2 of Marvelous Mrs. Maisel.

7 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

I'm tired of dark and gloomy TV. There's already too much of that stuff going on in real life.

I want to be entertained, not depressed.

Yea, pretty much how I feel lately too!

3 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

One thing I miss is how networks used to allow for shows that felt more like hanging out or "slice of life."  Shows like Northern Exposure and Gilmore Girls.  Streaming shows require a certain degree of narrative drive to encourage binging.  I like shows where it's more like "here's what these interesting characters are up to this week".  In terms of narrative they were closer to less melodramatic primetime soaps than anything.

I like both types of shows, and try to mix up our watching between them, but you're right they don't make a lot of non-serialized shows these days

13 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

One of the reasons Discovery was a letdown, imo.

Yeah, it felt the need to be super cinematic to compete with modern shows.  But I don't want Star Trek TV to be cinematic.  Like, the Trek semi-serialized shows were always better than the movies.  That used to be the conventional wisdom at least.  TV first, movies are a nice bonus.

23 hours ago, Stefancos said:

I'd like it to be a bit lighter and optimistic.

That's why I watch The Price id Right. I rejoice when people lose and avoid crushing tax debt.

The new Stephen King series could be pulpy fun.  I like the idea of just adapting his fictional Maine as a general setting where they can pull from any and all King stories over a given season.

Premiering July 25th.

9 minutes ago, Jay said:

Hopefully it's better than 11.22.63

I have high hopes, but let's face it, the vast majority of King adaptations are crap, so the odds are not in its favor.  I quit Under the Dome after 3 episodes and I kind of can't believe I made it that far.

3 minutes ago, Glóin the Dark said:

Is that the one about the time-traveller who tries to prevent the death of Aldous Huxley?

lol.

Almost as funny as Elvis and Groucho dying on the same day.  Thanks to Rob Zombie for informing me of that coincidence.

33 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

I never tried 11.22.63, was it really that bad?  I feel like I remember basically favorable reactions at the time.  Not over the moon or anything.

Started out pretty good, got pretty interesting for awhile, then started to sag....... almost redeemed itself with a cool ending, but then didn't go deep enough into that idea so it all just ended up being largely forgettable.  

There are worth things you can spend 8 hours watching, but it's probably not going to change your life having seen it

25 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

lol.

Almost as funny as Elvis and Groucho dying on the same day.  Thanks to Rob Zombie for informing me of that coincidence.

Wikipedia says Elvis died on Aug 16 and Groucho on Aug 19

1 minute ago, Jay said:

Wikipedia says Elvis died on Aug 16 and Groucho on Aug 19

Are you calling Rob Zombie a liar? :P

I'm just misremembering the scene from The Devil's Rejects I guess.  There was a great scene about Elvis' death overshadowing Groucho's.

2 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Are you calling Rob Zombie a liar? :P

I'm just misremembering the scene from The Devil's Rejects I guess.  There was a great scene about Elvis' death overshadowing Groucho's.

Rob Zombie....if you cant say anything nice you shouldn't  say anything at all

46 minutes ago, JoeinAR said:

if you cant say anything nice you shouldn't  say anything at all

But you don't really believe that, hey, JoeinAR? 

On 7/12/2018 at 2:53 PM, Jay said:

Under The Dome was so so so so bad!

I stuck it out for around ten. It was sort of a self flagellation exercise for me, spurred on by the annoyingly intriguing macguffin set up in epi 1.

Oh yea, the premise was so great!  Shame they had no idea what to do with it.

Did they not just adapt the novel?  I assumed the novel was that annoying and stupid.  I certainly wasn't going to read it and find out; it was a real door-stopper.

Correct, they did not just adapt the novel.  The adapted the opening chapters, then went off in their own direction.

It was intended to be an on going open ended series (it ended up running for 2-3 years before being canceled), it wasn't like a miniseries or anything

Just now, Disco Stu said:

Did they not just adapt the novel?  I assumed the novel was that annoying and stupid.  I certainly wasn't going to read it and find out; it was a real door-stopper.

No. One of the shows 1st seasons main characters was killed in the first few pages of the novel.  The novel and the mini-series had as much in common as the book the shining and kubrick's  film which is to say not much at all.

1 minute ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Like how Prokofiev died on the same day as Stalin?

The first one mentioned that seems like an actual tragedy.  Allow me to be bold, controversial, and uncompromising in my stance: Prokofiev rules, Stalin drools!

Of course the ultimate coincidence in this category is Adams and Jefferson not only passing on the same day, but on the exact 50th anniversary of the signing of the Declaration of Independence.

57 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Of course the ultimate coincidence in this category is Adams and Jefferson not only passing on the same day, but on the exact 50th anniversary of the signing of the Declaration of Independence.

That's overshadowed by Lou Gehrig. I mean seriously, what are the odds of dying from a disease that has the same name as you? 

1 hour ago, Wojism said:

That's overshadowed by Lou Gehrig. I mean seriously, what are the odds of dying from a disease that has the same name as you? 

His name is als?