What is the last Television series you watched?

Jay

The Handmaid's Tale, Season 2

What a shitty piece of television this turned out to be. Moss and Strahovski's performances make it somewhat watchable, but most of it is cheap sensationalist drivel. There may have been one or two episodes I liked, but whatever promise the first season had clearly seems to have been lost.

3 hours ago, KK said:

The Handmaid's Tale, Season 2

What a shitty piece of television this turned out to be. Moss and Strahovski's performances make it somewhat watchable, but most of it is cheap sensationalist drivel. There may have been one or two episodes I liked, but whatever promise the first season had clearly seems to have been lost.

Watch The Terror!

19 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

Watch The Terror!

I like the book but we couldn't get into the mini-series.  Perhaps i may binge it some weekend. Dan Simmons is a decent writer.

1 hour ago, JoeinAR said:

I like the book but we couldn't get into the mini-series.  

But I think KK will get into it.

The re-edited/remixed cut of Arrested Development season 4 ("Fateful Consequences"). It was truly and definitively terrible. A harrowing experience which felt like settee based hard labour, I'm actually pretty impressed with myself for getting through all 22 agonising episodes of it. 1 out of 5 stars. 

But I did it out of loyalty and to give the new season the best chance of being worthwhile. 

I still haven't had a chance to start that.

I hope Season 5 is good. Their ploy to release the finished episodes now for Emmy consideration backfired as they got 0 noms. Surely the season would be viewed better if we could have watched it all at once instead of seeing a bunch if setups with no payoff yet. Well, maybe by the time I start, I can see it all!

Maybe I'm wrong about it, but I don't feel like I've picked up on any buzz or goodwill about the show online since its return. It makes me think S5 will surely be the last. Tambor's involvement seems to be too problematic for people, that I have noticed. Personally, I will view his character at face value, of course I will. Otherwise, the first three seasons would be ruined too, which would be an absurd way to look at it as far as I'm concerned. 

On top of Tambor, Di Rossi retired from acting and only appears in 4 eps in the new season.

I suppose this the best place for me to mention that I watched every episode of the TV series Monk a few months back.

Love that show.  Suppose I relate somewhat to the protagonist, but I think that it was a fun, rather well-written show at any rate.

Characters are rather strong, especially Monk, of course.   Still, mistakes were made.  Seasons 1, 2 and 3 were the best, with Shaloub (Monk) and Bitty Schram (Sharona) giving their best performances in season 1.  But then the show went into a comfort zone, lost a bit of dramatic edge, became too reliant on humor and formula.  The introduction of Natalie to replace Sharona was  well done, I think, but the writers never realized the full potential of the Natalie character.  Still, some pretty good episodes right up to the end, though, even if the show went on for maybe a couple of seasons too long.  

Hey @Cherry Pie That'll Kill Ya, did you ever watch the show Rake?  I just discovered that it's a thing on Netflix here and I'm thinking about trying it.  Looks they get almost every notable "Australian in Hollywood" character actor to guest star at some point.  Hugo Weaving, Sam Neill, Noah Taylor, John Noble, Toni Collette.

HAVEN'T SEEN IT, STU. BUT I WILL INFORM YOU OF MY EXPEDITION INTO EXPLORING THIS NEW TELEVISION SERIES FOLLOWING MY ODYSSEY INTO A LITTLE SHOW CALLED ARRESTED DEVELOPMENT, AT THE REQUEST OF AGENT QUINTUS. WISH ME LUCK, STU.

MV5BNjI4OGI5NDMtOWEyMy00MmQ2LWJjMzAtNjdkZWNhMTkyNmNlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjc2NTc3NDA@._V1_.jpg

Just now, Cherry Pie That'll Kill Ya said:

HAVEN'T SEEN IT, STU. BUT I WILL INFORM YOU OF MY EXPEDITION INTO EXPLORING THIS NEW TELEVISION SERIES FOLLOWING MY ODYSSEY INTO A LITTLE SHOW CALLED ARRESTED DEVELOPMENT, AT THE REQUEST OF AGENT QUINTUS. WISH ME LUCK, STU.

o...kaaaaay.  I was just curious since it's apparently a big hit in Australia.

Perfect examples because I knew both twists before I saw them.  They’re not dependent on shock for their effectiveness.  I knew Vader was Luke’s dad before I saw Empire as a kid.  I didn’t love it less.

I’m not saying it’s wrong to care about being unspoiled btw.  Just that in all cases of a movie/show being actually good, you don’t enjoy it less if you are spoiled.

7 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Perfect examples because I knew both twists before I saw them.  They’re not dependent on shock for their effectiveness.  I knew Vader was Luke’s dad before I saw Empire as a kid.  I didn’t love it less.

I’m not saying it’s wrong to care about being unspoiled btw.  Just that in all cases of a movie/show being actually good, you don’t enjoy it less if you are spoiled.

Which is why Williams reads the screenplays before watching a cut of the film.  ;)

15 hours ago, Quintus said:

Disagree.

Your experience was different not knowing those things, but not necessarily better.  To me at least.  I respect your disagreement, it’s an individual choice.

Also, regarding the article you posted.  I don’t go specifically looking for spoilers.  I just don’t usually mind being spoiled by accident or if something’s just well-known in the culture

14 hours ago, Nick Parker said:

Which is why Williams reads the screenplays before watching a cut of the film.  ;)

Thanks for replying out from under me! It’s a pain in the ass to retroactively add a quote in mobile

I just don’t usually mind being spoiled by accident or if something’s just well-known in the culture

I generally don't mind, either, but I really enjoy the visceral turn of a plot as I transpire its unknown layout for the first time, those moment-to-moment hits.

Thanks for replying out from under me.  It’s a pain in the ass to retroactively add a quote in mobile

Ohhh yeah it is. Is your first sentence sarcastic? I haven't seen the phrase used in too many contexts.

Just now, Nick Parker said:

Ohhh yeah it is. Is your first sentence sarcastic? I haven't seen the phrase ised in too many contexts.

Yes it was sarcastic!

3 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Yes it was sarcastic!

Ahhh, we posted as you were typing, and you facetiously expressed your annoyance by thanking us, I get it now. I reply to your phrase with one of my own: sometimes that's just how the meatball bounces.

1 minute ago, Nick Parker said:

Ahhh, we posted as you were typing, and you facetiously expressed ypur annoyance by thanking us

Wait, are you actually two different people?  One named Nick and one named Parker?

Or, GASP!, siamese twins?!?!?!?!?

Just now, Disco Stu said:

Wait, are you actually two different people?  One named Nick and one named Parker?

Or, GASP!, siamese twins?!?!?!?!?

You thanked both Quintus and I, remember, genius?...this is why you should only watch _good_ Godzilla movies.

...namelyShinGodzilla.

6 minutes ago, Nick Parker said:

It's a movie that feels like everything's in place, everything should work...but doesn't. :(

I loved so much about the ideas.  Humanity escaping Godzilla in spaceships, tensions with aliens who also lost their home planets, the relativity stuff about how 10,000 years had pass on earth under Godzilla’s reign.  All so cool.  If only anything actually worked!

Dan Harmon: Community and Rick and Morty creator sorry for rape skit - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-44936332

Hang him out to dry! Sever all ties! Round up Harmon's family and send them off to the hard labour camps! End Dan Harmon now!

(I hope they don't, because I'm sitting here eagerly awaiting Rick and Morty S2). 

I LOVE both of Harmon's notable TV shows, but I had to stop listening to his podcast after a while.  I can only listen to a self-hating, self-aggrandizing, alcoholic narcissist for so long.  Sometimes the podcast was gut-bustingly funny, but mostly it was kind of depressing.

On 7/23/2018 at 6:12 PM, Disco Stu said:

Your experience was different not knowing those things, but not necessarily better.  To me at least.  I respect your disagreement, it’s an individual choice.

Also, regarding the article you posted.  I don’t go specifically looking for spoilers.  I just don’t usually mind being spoiled by accident or if something’s just well-known in the culture

I have to side with Quint on this one. Being surprised and delighted is infinitely more enjoyable than knowing what happens next. It’s like saying a kid will enjoy his Christmas presents just as much if he knows what they are. 

Progress on The Sopranos has been trickle, so I’m watching The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel on my own time. Halfway through, it’s thoroughly impressive television. Love the camerawork, the long takes, the dialogue and acting. And at eight episodes I know it’ll tell a perfectly paced and complete narrative.  How did we survive before the Golden Age?

Breaking Bad Saul: Season 2

Haven't really been getting into this as much as the first season. Seems a lot slower, and with far less engaging plotlines and Saul character development.  I'm only halfway through though.  

Forgot to mention that I watched the first 8 available episodes of new Arrested Development on Netflix. It's an improvement over the heinous previous season of five years ago, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's good. There's been one good episode in eight. The first mistake they made was to continue directly on from the diabolically bad storyline of five years ago - including pretending like the five years in between since then never happened. They should have wrote off S4 entirely and presented S5 as more of a reboot opportunity. Ah well.

Also almost reached the end of Seinfeld season 2. The characters and their personalities are definitely starting to gel and settle in, I am seeing the appeal and I'm enjoying it, even if it isn't always all that that funny at this early stage. So I'm looking forward to probably really getting into it once the golden era seasons arrive.