What is the last Television series you watched?

Jay

21 hours ago, Quintus said:

The Haunting of Hill House's one family character storyline per episode structure has grown rather boring, and after getting through the four children I'm assuming there's still the parents left to cover. But for what is foremost advertised as a spooky ghost story, actual creepy scares are very thin on the ground at four episodes in and only the first episode has really delivered on that front, but even that was still rather tame and seemed more suggestive and scene setting than anything else (there's definite value in that approach so early on). Right now though it's little more than another broken family drama and as such I'm only really mildly invested in the individual stories on the per episode basis they chose to go with. I'm more looking forward to the last few episodes, where presumably it'll all come together and the undoubtedly intriguing mysteries laid out thus far all begin to come to a head in what is bound to be a barnstorming ghost house climax; some mundane reveals notwithstanding (I'm still not entirely convinced the supernatural aspect isn't a narrative trick).

I just watched episode 5, so prepare for at least one more character episode. I hear 6 is where things really kick into gear. I dig the atmosphere and tone. I’m not one for cheap thrills so I’ve been enjoying it so far. The dumb waiter scene was nicely creepy, though. Moreover, I think the child actors all do an excellent job. 

Some people love torture.

And talking about torture, that's exactly what The Haunting Of Hillhouse has become. Episode 8 contains one of the worst over-the-top drama scenes I've seen in a long time. The first episode was promising but it all went downhill from there.

The actors are, the characters are mostly out of Scorsese's world of compromised men...as i said, it's an interesting look back in time into the decadent, coke-snorting 70's pop culture but hardly anything new in terms of approach.

40 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

Some people love torture.

And talking about torture, that's exactly what The Haunting Of Hillhouse has become. Episode 8 contains one of the worst over-the-top drama scenes I've seen in a long time. The first episode was promising but it all went downhill from there.

So don't bother then...?

Pity. I'm in need of a new show to start on.

No, don't bother, KK. The Hillhouse scenes are not bad (what can I say, it's a creepy house) but the dialog and acting of the present-day scenes are quite mediocre.

I need something new too so I was hoping Vinyl might be it. It's doesn't have to life-changing, it just has to be good.

The only one i did watch right through was 'The Bodyguard'. Strictly after protocol but at least a good nailbiter. 'Maniac' i finished after 5 episodes - it wasn't bad but lacked direction which i sorely need on season-long tv series. Ironically there now are some pretty good german tv series while there's a drought of US ones - the last thing i expected.

For fans of hard-edged 80's detectives i recommend Amazon's Bosch season 1-3. 

Just started watching Black Mirror on Netflix. Also regularly watching The Handmaid's Tale (just finished S1), The 100 (mid-S2) and Salvation (also mid-S2).

And BTW, THT is one of the best and definitively the creepiest TV show I've watched so far (and believe me, I've seen A LOT of 'em). Wonderfully shot and genuinely scary with great potential to make the viewer repeatedly feel very uncomfortable. May it never come true! On the other hand, Margaret Atwood, the author of the book the show is based on, stated: "We're not living in Gilead yet, but there are Gilead-like symptoms going on." :shakehead: Blessed be the fruit.

Saw both seasons. Even though I can watch the show, I'm a bit apathetic towards it, and that's probably because I have a hard time buying what it's trying to sell. I actually believe that the shear opposite of the show's premise would be much more believable.

2 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

Saw both seasons. Even though I can watch the show, I'm a bit apathetic towards it, and that's probably because I have a hard time buying what it's trying to sell. I actually believe that the shear opposite of the show's premise would be much more believable.

Feminists ritualistically raping far-right evangelicals?

4 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

I like the first season of Handmaid.  I quit on season 2.  Might have been a me thing though.

Season 1 was a mixed bag, with some special moments that made it worth watching.

Season 2 was insufferable. Only made it to the end because I liked Elisabeth Moss. But most of it was exploitative dreck that hinged on beating the audience with "shock value".

I recently started Donald Glover's Atlanta. It's kinda neat. Has some subtle Twin Peaks-esque vibes to it.

I watched the first episode of the new BBC adaptation of John le Carré's The Little Drummer Girl.  Directed by South Korean film luminary Park Chan-Wook!

I liked it,  will keep watching.

1 hour ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I just watched an episode of MasterChef Australia, and I'm convinced Drax was one of the contestants. He had even dyed his hair blonde to avoid recognition.

I can imagine it!

On 11/5/2018 at 5:43 AM, Jurassic Shark said:

I just watched an episode of MasterChef Australia, and I'm convinced Drax was one of the contestants. He had even dyed his hair blonde to avoid recognition.

That was me indeed. It was the DisasterChef episode.

On 11/4/2018 at 9:55 PM, Disco Stu said:

I watched the first episode of the new BBC adaptation of John le Carré's The Little Drummer Girl.  Directed by South Korean film luminary!

I liked it,  will keep watching.

I loved it!

5 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

Deadwood movie starts shooting with 12 returning cast members & one new:

https://deadline.com/2018/11/deadwood-movie-begins-production-hbo-david-milch-1202496154/

Can't wait!  I should rewatch the original run, it's been forever, and there might be subtle callbacks in the film to things I don't remember.

Does anybody here watch Killing Eve?

While in London, we stumbled upon them filming a scene for season 2 in Clapham / South Lambeth area with two of the main actors, it was pretty neat to watch!

I've never seen the show, though.

Finished Hill House.

I found the ending to be a bit anticlimactic, what with 8 episodes of great slow burn thrills preceding it. Ultimately, the atmosphere is was stuck for me. The aesthetics and technical aspects of the show are superb. Episode 6’s four long takes were awesome to see unfold.