What is the last Television series you watched?

Jay

18 minutes ago, dougie said:

I prefer Harrison Blackwood from the TV show.

It was sort of decent the 1st season then it got really bad

7 minutes ago, JoeinAR said:

It was sort of decent the 1st season then it got really bad

I loved the first season. It's like an A-Team of scientists. The second season has some outstanding individual episodes but overall it's a disaster.

1 hour ago, Stefancos said:

Is Clayton Forrester one of Ridge's children?

You don't  know who Clayton Forrester is?

On 1/30/2019 at 7:29 AM, Docteur Qui said:

Keep watching, if you still don’t like it by the middle of the first season then it’s probably not for you.

The whole second season is magnificent, hopefully you make it that far.

On 1/30/2019 at 10:05 AM, KK said:

Stick with it. It stands on its own legs. Especially the second season.

Just finished up episode 6. Not a fan honestly. Perhaps I’m too attached to the film; it’s one of my favorites. This just seems like a clueless bastardization of what made that film great. 

I’ll finished up the season but most likely won’t continue with Season 2 and 3. 

3 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

Just finished up episode 6. Not a fan honestly. Perhaps I’m too attached to the film; it’s one of my favorites. This just seems like a clueless bastardization of what made that film great. 

The film is... special. Its why I never bothered with the TV show.

7 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

A better move would be to skip the rest of the season and watch all of Season 2 instead. It's in a different league altogether.

7 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

This just seems like a clueless bastardization of what made that film great. 

I remember feeling the same when I first saw it, though my impression grew somewhat more positive towards the end (of the season).

4 minutes ago, Glóin the Dark said:

A better move would be to skip the rest of the season and watch all of Season 2 instead. It's in a different league altogether.

What's wrong with the first season? And why is the second season so much better? And what's you stance on S3 and why? 

12 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

What's wrong with the first season?

It aims to emulate Coen characteristics (in terms of quirky plot developments, humour, and mood, for example) but these efforts can feel forced, self-conscious and second-rate. (The main theme of the score provides a distilled example of this.) As I said, the first season improved in my opinion towards the end, so perhaps the problem (or, at least, part of it) was one of adjusting to the show's own idiom, rather than viewing it and judging it by the standards of the film. Incidentally, the first season's story isn't a direct adaptation of that of the film. It's like a kaleidoscopic permutation of the Coen brothers' output, with Fargo being the dominant ingredient but with aspects of many of their other films appearing too. The other two seasons are also steeped in general Coen references.

46 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

And why is the second season so much better?

I can't answer the "why" question, but I can say that Season 2 is one of those rare shows which is pervaded by a sense of mastery from conception to execution. If it's not quite at the level of DeadwoodWolf Hall and Season 5 of Breaking Bad, it's not too far off.

52 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

And what's you stance on S3 and why?

I liked it. It didn't reach the same heights as Season 2. It had some great aspects but also some that I found a bit patchier. I think I'd rate it higher than Season 1 (with the caveat that I haven't rewatched that season since seeing the subsequent two, and might have a different perspective on it now). Certainly the third season didn't have the imitative feeling that the first did; as with the second, it seemed to be a show with more confidence in its own independent identity.

The second season is the more confident one. It takes the spirit of the Coens and goes into its own direction with it. I'd be curious to see what Koray thinks of it.

3 hours ago, Glóin the Dark said:

It aims to emulate Coen characteristics (in terms of quirky plot developments, humour, and mood, for example) but these efforts can feel forced, self-conscious and second-rate. (The main theme of the score provides a distilled example of this.) As I said, the first season improved in my opinion towards the end, so perhaps the problem (or, at least, part of it) was one of adjusting to the show's own idiom, rather than viewing it and judging it by the standards of the film. Incidentally, the first season's story isn't a direct adaptation of that of the film. It's like a kaleidoscopic permutation of the Coen brothers' output, with Fargo being the dominant ingredient but with aspects of many of their other films appearing too. The other two seasons are also steeped in general Coen references.

I can't answer the "why" question, but I can say that Season 2 is one of those rare shows which is pervaded by a sense of mastery from conception to execution. If it's not quite at the level of DeadwoodWolf Hall and Season 5 of Breaking Bad, it's not too far off.

I liked it. It didn't reach the same heights as Season 2. It had some great aspects but also some that I found a bit patchier. I think I'd rate it higher than Season 1 (with the caveat that I haven't rewatched that season since seeing the subsequent two, and might have a different perspective on it now). Certainly the third season didn't have the imitative feeling that the first did; as with the second, it seemed to be a show with more confidence in its own independent identity.

Thanks! I had a different experience with Season 1. I liked it from the very start and never experienced it as being forced or second-rate. I loved the writing, the clarity, its dark humor and embraced every single character. I even called it the new Twin Peaks, if I remember correctly.  I also liked Season 2. I didn't think it was better, but more about the same. Maybe it had more highlights, but there were also some iffy ideas, like the unnecessary UFO moments. Season 3 is where I started to have doubts. I still liked it but to me everything was just a notch under the level of S1 and S2. It's definitely me least favorite season, so maybe Koray should skip S1 and S2 and start with S3, ASAP? 

The UFO was great!

S3 was easily the weakest of the three. I liked it too, but you started to see seams in its pattern. Also, I didn't like the ugly look they were playing with.

In amidst a smattering of films, revisiting Deep Space Nine. I only have Seasons 4-7 (at the time I believed the series to really kick on from Way of the Warrior but I'm aiming to revisit 1-3 soon). Smashed my way into Season 5, aside from the likes of The Muse, it's a heck of a ride. I still find myself wishing there was some sort of eighth season as post-war stories would have been interesting (had DS9 been done by a different network and other factors?). Worf was my favourite on TNG and it's still great to see him here, if only Jadzia had lasted to the end of the series. My appreciation for Avery Brooks has increased but also the characters in the show. How the likes of Dukat changed over seven seasons or Garak or Martok (can never get enough of JG Hertzler). I still marvel at how O'Brien grew. From that unnamed conn officer in Encounter at Farpoint all the way to What You Leave Behind. 

While we have watched the three 90s series in recent years, I have never watched The Original Series in its entirety. I've seen most of the episodes, but last night, we started with The Man Trap. Air order is how Prime presents it. I've seen The Cage enough to not include it this time, so it seems fresh in The Menagerie. 

14 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

What's wrong with the first season?

For me, it feels forced. The quirkiness, the humor, the violence... none of it feels authentic. And I really disliked how they connected it to the film and made it exist in the same world. It made all the characters even less believable because they’re all just copies of characters from the film. The slimy salesman, the bumbling hitmen, the by-the-book cop, etc. And the episode I just watched had fish falling out of the sky. That was the breaking point for me, when Fargo of all things, turned supernatural. 

On 1/24/2019 at 8:42 AM, Alexcremers said:

My Brilliant Friend. A HBO - RAI co-production. These 8 episodes were absolutely absorbing! The best TV series I've seen in years. 9/10

Thanks for this recommendation! Just finished it and I agree, though I don't do TV that much. From the performances of these first-time actors to the production design, cinematography, writing, pacing that refeshingly did not encourage me to binge it in one sitting, the score which I listened to 5 times already, the beauty of the language, I adored it all.

4b6aea950bded82cbc5d5f34cc4820d33756568b

My Brilliant Friend

I think the first thing that strikes you about the show is how extraordinarily unremarkable its ambitions appear to be. With its muted visuals and lack of dramatic or stylized narrative, you wouldn't think it'd fit in with its peers in the "Golden Age of Television". I can imagine most of the Netflix kids giving up halfway through the first episode from boredom. And yet when you see Lenu pass a stone to Lila in a fight with the boys, or she sees the ocean for the first time, there's a remarkable weight to watching those moments unfold. That's exactly how My Brilliant Friend draws you in, in its earnestness. Suddenly what you took for granted, the dusty streets of Italian "suburbia", the neighbourhood family politics and the beautiful language lure you into a sort of trance. One that centers around two girls who cannot help but love and despise each other, constantly facing conflicts, however banal at first, that draw them into complicated emotional territory that feels at once both strange and familiar. You can't turn away.

Richter's score does a lot to really sell the emotional beats, as he did with The Leftovers, though here, the music itself is really just variations of La Folia anyway (something he had already explored in his Woolf ballet).

It's wonderful stuff. Like TV that belongs to a different time. I look forward to seeing how the second season turns out.

33 minutes ago, KK said:

Suddenly what you took for granted, the dusty streets of Italian "suburbia", the small town family politics and the beautiful language lure you into a sort of trance.

A sombre, yet almost addictive setting. Each night I was happy to be back there.

tumblr_piybp52MNF1qii2oy_1280.png

I also loved the long straight road behind the bridge. 

31 minutes ago, KK said:

I can imagine most of the Netflix kids giving up halfway through the first episode from boredom

Provided they make it more than a minute in after finding out it's all in Neapolitan (and the occasional Italian) with subtitles!

I hear it's a pretty faithful adaptation and I'm glad they went this route instead of making a dumbed-down film or two; there's not much traditional plot to speak of, but this format really lets the two girls breathe in the atmosphere, absorb and react to The Neighborhood before eventually trying to manipulate it to their advantage (even if it always bites back) - and we have ample time to follow along.

5 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

A sombre, yet almost addictive setting. Each night I was happy to be back there.

tumblr_piybp52MNF1qii2oy_1280.png

I also loved the long straight road behind the bridge. 

Yes. Great world-building.

I loved the summer episode at Ischia. So much longing.

I know I wanna go there for a holiday someday! :) Though at a certain part at the end of that episode I just had to turn away.

11 minutes ago, KK said:

I loved the summer episode at Ischia. So much longing.

Great episode. In a way this is not TV but an 8-hour-long movie. It does something I only have felt with the movie adaptations of the books of Marcel Pagnol.

9780865472563-uk.jpg

FINALLY finished

Haunting of Hill House

Image result for haunting of hill house

SPOILERS

I was sold right from the moment it started. I thought it did a great job with the flashbacks, and the scares were great. Mike Flanigan is quickly going up the ladder of one of my favorite horror directors. He gets the scares just right. I have actually watch the series twice, the first time I didn't pay much attention to what was going on in the dead space of the foreground/background besides the actors and and the action taking place but it is his brilliance to put some of the ghosts in absolute plain site, but purposefully difficult to see.

Hidden-Ghosts-Haunting-Hill-House.png

1_Screen-Shot-2018-10-22-at-154206.jpg

sub-buzz-10785-1540271652-1.jpg?downsize

This was the first one I saw and it made my blood run cold....

12.-Ep-3-Basement-Ghost-00.29.13-copy.jp

And how this show got the mood just right. For a horror show, it hit the emotional buttons of mine. I found my self openly weeping at moments in it. Especially the episode "The Break Neck Lady". And I can't put enough praise on the episode "Two Storms" that pulled a "Lumet" and including very very little cuts, long takes. Love those.

Also been going back and re-watching:

p12986402_b_v8_aa.jpg

I just love this series so much. So deliciously dark and twisted! I am in the small group of people that loved Bandersnatch. Although I didn't really care for it at first, when it got to the meta moment of you letting Stefan know that you were watching from Netflix and that he was not in control... was brilliant in my opinon.

I adore Black Mirror so much. Although not every episode is great. My standouts are

The Entire History of You

Be Right Back

White Bear

White Christmas (prob my fav one)

Nosedive

San Junipero

USS Callister (what a sociopath he was)

Hang the DJ (a beauitful episode)

and

Black Museum

However what I have been watching/binging a lot lately of 

Inside No. 9

p13809454_b_v8_aa.jpg

This is another anthology TV show much like Black Mirror, Twilight Zone, etc....

The gimmick is that each episode takes place in the confines of 'something' that includes the number 9 in it. So, an address 9 blahblah St, Apt 9, Train car #9, etc....

Each episode stars the same two people (shown above) in different roles. They touch on every genre. Some episodes are really funny, some are incredibly sad, some are super spooky, and some are scary.

Every episode comes with two twists. One that can kinda be guessed, but then there is one that comes out of nowhere. 

While not every episode is golden, there are some that are so wonderfully done that I have seen them several times.

Stand out episodes with this are:

Sardines

A Quiet Night In

Tom and Gerri

La Couchette

12 Days of Christine

Cold Comfort

Devil of Christmas

The Bill

Riddle of the Sphinx

Diddle DIddle Dumpling

Tempting Fate

To Have and to Hold

and the ABSOLUTE INGENIUS Halloween special which had the UK up in arms and the twitterverse exploding.

Dead Line

All are avail on Netflix, except in the US where Inside No. 9 is not avail (It is avail on Amazon Prime with a Britbox Subscription) or those who use Netflix on the computer and have a VPN, it is avail if you are in a UK server.

Finished The Deuce season 2. It was as good as season 1. Can't wait for the conclusion this year (or next year on Blu-ray).

Karol - who now wants to finish Treme

The Alienist.

alienist-tvreview-banner913.jpg

It's okay. It's better than The Mentalist.

the-alienist-cast.jpg

But what I really want to say, the actor on the right ... He gave me an idea! What about a new TV series about Zorro?