What is the last Television series you watched?

Jay

9 hours ago, Stefancos said:

He was in The Hobbit films, Alex.

So? Does that make him unsuitable for Zorro? 

Nevermind. I don't think you people can see it. 

5 minutes ago, Richard said:

I hate to admit this, but...I'm getting into CALL THE MIDWIFE. 

My wife watches that show.  She likes it

Recently finished the Beeb's brilliant Killing Eve ... everything you'd want from a drama about British Intelligence chasing a female assassin across the globe, with a deliciously playful and subversive streak of humour into the bargain. Terrific performances by Jodie Comer and Sandra Oh.

Thor:

EVENT HORIZON is one of the best 20-30 films of the 90s, and Anderson is a brilliant action auteur. I even prefer him over the other Paul Anderson. Here's an article I wrote just last year (for its 20th anniversary), exploring its visual layering: http://montages.no/2017/08/event-horizon-1997/ (in Norwegian, though).

I'm deeply and personally attached to that film. Always have been. A definite masterpiece.

And only a fan can come up with a quote like that:

31 minutes ago, W0$ said:

Where he's going, he won't need eyes to... 

MMM_104_14699.1.FNL_-770x470.jpg

Marvelous Mrs. Maisel - Season 1

An absolute riot. Witty, charming, and beautifully carried by Rachel Broshnahan. The whole cast is great though (Tony Shalhoub is especially funny). And the show boasts some handsome production values. I thought the whole thing would be too vanilla for my taste, but I was sold pretty early into the season. Looking forward to the next one!

7 minutes ago, KK said:

An absolute riot. Witty, charming, and beautifully carried by Rachel Broshnahan. The whole cast is great though (Tony Shalhoub is especially funny). And the show boasts some handsome production values. I thought the whole thing would be too vanilla for my taste, but I was sold pretty early into the season. Looking forward to the next one!

Hmmm. I thought that I recognized the title from Netflix but they don't have it. 

12 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

I watched the first two episodes of Nightflyers. It's horror sci-fi like Event Horizon so fans of the latter should check it out.

But is it better than Event Horizon, which could have been good but wasn't?

15 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Is anyone really a fan of Event Horizon though?

I enjoyed it more than Alien, which it blatantly ripped off. It's by no means a great film but it is an effective sci-fi horror/thriller flick.

Anyway, Star Trek: Deep Space Nine. 

13 hours ago, KK said:

Season 2 is excellent!

There were at least two moments in that show that made me feel ill to watch. I was that invested in the characters to be that stressed out over fictitious event unraveling. 

It's that good. 

11 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

But is it better than Event Horizon ... ?

What isn't? The direction (storytelling) of Event Horizon is so poor, it's the movie's Achilles heel. It's a shame because the sets and special effects (except for the early CGI) are beautiful. 

1 hour ago, Stefancos said:

Effective performances too. Sam Neil was never so creepy!

But the performances too were sabotaged by the poor direction, IMO. Imagine if a young Ridley Scott made Event Horizon instead of Alien in 1979!

I've been watching the Trek on H&I, which airs a marathon almost every night with one episode from each series. Last night they just so happened to show two of the best of late 90s Trek.

Deep Space Nine: "The Ship"

A classic DS9 nail-biter. The crew, armed with big ass rifles on an alien world that looks exactly like California, happen upon a crashed Dominion ship. Of course, the baddies show up to retrieve their vessel (actually, just its contents) and a sexy Vorta with nice boobies attempts to negotiate. In an emotional moment near the end of this gripping hour of Trekivision, Sisko reflects on all the senseless death which has occurred, noting that none of it would have happened if they'd just trusted each other. Well, that's the essence of Trek, isn't it.

Voyager: "Someone to Watch Over Me"

I would probably rank this as my favorite episode of Voyager. The Doctor gives Seven of Nine dating lessons and the old holo-smoothie realizes he's developed feelings for her. It has no repercussions as they never go anywhere with this intimate relationship (Seven is later ridiculously paired with Chakotay, who should have gotten with Janeway), but it remains one of the sweetest hours of the Trek.

Now binge watching The Passage. Vampires who don't sparkle. Still isn't exactly a classic romance era set of vampires. 

I've just watched THIS TIME WITH ALAN PARTRIDGE.

One has to watch it twice, just to take in all the subtle (and not-so-sublte) glances, and "throwaway" lines.

Any show that parodys THE ONE SHOW gets my vote (personally, I can't stand the vacuous, fawning bucket of diarrhoea), so, my congratulations to Mr. Coogan and crew, for such an accurate job, even down to the shitferbrains, doll-like, rabbit-in-headlights female presenter, whom I hated with a passion that exceeds hyperbole.

"Clunt".

"Fluck".

"Fuck".

"Fluck".

Priceless. I look forward to the rest of the series.

Partridge rarely disappoints ... such an acutely observed comic version of a certain type of middle-of-the-road, middle-England presenter labouring under delusions of adequacy. 

Image result for true detective season 3

True Detective Season 3

An absolutely fantastic 8 hours of television, every bit as good as Season 1.  For most of it it's a great blend of clues, character development, red herrings, investigation, grunt work, twists, turns, and great and ever-the-more-creative segues between the three time periods this season covers.  But then it all coalesces into a quite poignant finale I wasn't really expecting (but in retrospect, makes the most sense for sure).

Not only is the writing and acting completely top notch this season, but the directing and cinematography are too.  The backdrop for the season is sort of halfway between season 1's bayou centric locales and Ozark's woodsy locales, and the various locations are introduced and explored with all kinds of wonderful cinematic tricks.  Memory plays a huge role this season and as such when the older characters remember the prior timelines we get a new way of transferring the viewer there every time and it was always cool.

Great stuff from front to back here, highly recommended to anyone who liked the first season.

Does it have more of the mystical/paranormal intrigue of the first season?

As someone who still somewhat liked the second season, I'm curious to check it out. I'm just not sure I'm up to drive into crime series again.

Also, Mahershala Ali seems to be in a really good place. In the last 5 years, his career just sky-rocketed (2 Academy awards, feature films, leading prestige series). I still remember him as the guy from House of Cards. Good for him.

I still remember him as the guy from The 4400!

There much more of a mysterious / mythical element to this season than season 2, but nothing close to any kind of supernatural or anything like that.  That was always just a misdirect in season 1 anyway

Finished Season 2 of Fargo.

Overall much better than Season 1, but I still had some issues with it. The show seems to be random for the sake of being random with no real meaning or direction. Acting was superb, particularly from Bokeem Woodbine.