What is the last Television series you watched?

Jay

Any It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia fans on here? I kept hearing really great things about this on the web, a very long running cult comedy series about a bunch of young bar owners and Danny DeVito, their "Dad". Well we got hooked on it from the first episode and we blitzed through the first two seasons, before noticing something was off. It suddenly goes from being rather conventional sitcom fair, to just incessantly juvenile and nonsensical fantasy from about S3 onwards, which was terribly disappointing after the great start. So then I read on Reddit that S4 was held in very high regard (among its 13ish seasons, right up to 2018 so far) and that it is considered one of the best seasons of the lot. Well then, okay, we'll give it one more go then, perhaps it was only that S3 was dreadfully one-off. Nope! This shit is unwatchable! Such a shame.

A stark reminder that, sometimes, American audiences, for all our across the pond brethrenship, have entirely different humour sensibilities to calm and dry folk like me and the missus in the UK. Parks & Recreation is another: just unbearable Americomedy to Brit Northerners.

So why is Always Sunny still going strong then? What is the appeal? I'm baffled.

Nothing like it. 

Also, remember how loud The Goonies was with shouting? Well imagine that instead with adults, but more of it. Actually noiser than The Goonies.

16 minutes ago, Quintus said:

Nothing like it. 

Also, remember how loud The Goonies was with shouting? Well imagine that instead with adults, but more of it. Actually noiser than The Goonies.

No honestly, Always Sunny has been likened to Seinfeld ever since it began. 

Just now, Quintus said:

I liked all of the characters in Seinfeld though, especially Dennis Neary. And Always Sunny only really has two irritations in the ensemble.

I'm sure, but the comparisons are real and now ancient though.

I was very much enjoying it till midway through S3, when we both began to find it suddenly more irritating than funny. And those first few seasons had some hilarious parts. It's always gutting when this happens to a comedy series!

Dee (the blonde) is too skinny for me though. I remember her in Curb actually.

Incidentally, we tentatively tried out the most recent Trailer Park Boys again, after many seasons of tragic fall from grace that once marvelous show went through. Surprise surprise, it's the best it has been in years. It even feels like the TPB of yore. Did not expect that to happen in a million years. I didn't think it was possible to turn these legacy series around like that, not when they already long since ploughed nose first into the ground. I am impressed!

I recently saw an okay-ish Netflix/british funny thing called 'Sex Education'. It's from the 'Skins'/'Mifits' mould and often irritatingly superficial US concoctions of late, i. e. many of the above cited.

7 hours ago, publicist said:

I recently saw an okay-ish Netflix/british funny thing called 'Sex Education'. It's from the 'Skins'/'Mifits' mould and often irritatingly superficial US concoctions of late, i. e. many of the above cited.

It's cute and sometimes kind of funny, but nothing special. It's probably the most American school I've ever seen outside of the States though.

Also had a good cast. Emma Mackay is basically just a younger Margot Robbie.

12 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

It’s Always Sunny is consistently great throughout its run, in my opinion. 

Did you at least get to the Dayman episode?

It's Always Sunny has a dry spell somewhere in the middle of its run and in the later seasons where the formula really wears thin. Its early seasons were its best.

The last season finale was something else though!

The Promised Neverland (not to be confused with the HBO documentary)

Really great science fiction anime, best if you go in "cold".  Between this and several other high-quality series, I believe that anime has become a far better vehicle for broad strokes emotional storytelling than modern day film (or TV).  

Really effective use of music too (both with the score and the opening and end title songs).  The titular "lullaby" is quite is memorable and emotional.

• 2 weeks later...

Started the second season of The OA . The first episode relies more on the mystery than the mystique of its predecessor, but still handsomely produced and keeps you on your toes. Will see how the season pans out...

1 hour ago, KK said:

Started the second season of The OA . The first episode relies more on the mystery than the mystique of its predecessor, but still handsomely produced and keeps you on your toes. Will see how the season pans out...

I'm curious to hear what you say when you're finished. I watched all of it the weekend after it came out, and I'm still not sure what I think of it.

I was quite disappointed with S2. KK's observation (mystique vs mystery) hits the nail on the head. That being said, standout episode was 'SYZYGY' (Episode 4).

It's out then. After the definitely original and worthwhile arc and style of last year's story, I must admit I struggled to find justification for a follow up in the aftermath of it. I'm probably going to leave The OA there, after the hilarious performance art school shooting finale. It couldn't possibly get any more memorable than that anyway. 

Jason Isaacs was the best thing about S1 btw. Is he in this much? 

I finally got around to watching Game of Thrones (just in time for the final season, perfect planning). I can see why it gets so much hype but it’s I can’t say it’s the best series I’ve seen. Certainly enjoyable though.

I don't think a huge portion of its viewbase thinks its the best series ever or anything, it's just mostly really enjoyable.

Also, it hasn't historically been a show that a lot of people binged through, in fact it's the opposite; One of the last remaining shows on TV that everyone watches together on Sunday nights when a new episode is on, then is the hot topic around the water cooler at the office every Monday.   Like LOST and Breaking Bad were before it.

I definitely binged the show in two to three nights back when I could only watch it by buying the Blu-ray box sets in spring, and then go on hiatus for a year. Now that I have a plan where I can buy HBO only for the two months needed, I'll be like the rest. 

If he can get through every season before the finale begins next week I'm impressed. What a slog! 

Psst, there's some stinkers in there, whole seasons worth. 

That's not what I asked.  He said "If he can get through every season before the finale begins next week I'm impressed. ".  Who is the "he" he is talking?

20 hours ago, Jay said:

Also, it hasn't historically been a show that a lot of people binged through, in fact it's the opposite; One of the last remaining shows on TV that everyone watches together on Sunday nights when a new episode is on, then is the hot topic around the water cooler at the office every Monday.   Like LOST and Breaking Bad were before it.

More people I know have binged GOT, often repeatedly, than any other show I'm aware of. I have several friends who have binged it more than once (and more than twice) before the release of a new season.

8 minutes ago, Koray Savas said:

I gave up on Game Of Thrones after the first season. I don’t get the appeal.

You didn't? Shit. Now I guess I can’t like it either. Looks like I won't be buying HBO this weekend after all. 

We watched True Detective season 3.  I thought it was goddamn brilliant if I’m honest.  The first actually great season of the show so far.  It finally had an emotionally satisfying end!

28 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

We watched True Detective season 3.  I thought it was goddamn brilliant if I’m honest.  The first actually great season of the show so far.  It finally had an emotionally satisfying end!

Bold words!

Stu, I loved season 3 of True Detective as well. Check out my posts about it in the True Detective thread. I was basically talking to a void, no one else on JWFan seemed to watch it! 

Not a series as such, but Katie Derham did something about Bridge on the River Kwai's score on BBC4

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m00041td

I still wish, probably only one, that parts of the Dunkirk score cropped up on some CD. Closest I've gotten is Heroes of Telemark.

I recently watched season one of Barry. I liked it, wasn't as amazing as the critics made it out to be, but solid. I really like Bill Hader, he's a talented comic and a pretty good dramatic actor. Most of my love goes to Henry Winkler's tragi-comedy acting coach, who has really become a comic force since Arrested Development. There's a bit of dissonance between the humour and the gritty drama and it's not always successful, but I'll keep watching to see how things go. Anyone else seen it? (Apologies if it's already been discussed, this thread is massive and hard to trawl through)

I loved the first season of Barry. Henry Wrinkler indeed steals the show, but I’m also fond of the overly polite Chechen assassin. Great characters all around. It’s already renewed for Season 3. 

3 minutes ago, Koray Savas said:

I loved the first season of Barry. Henry Wrinkler indeed steals the show, but I’m also fond of the overly polite Chechen assassin. Great characters all around. It’s already renewed for Season 3. 

Ooh yes, the Chechen assassin is hilarious! Very charismatic and a great portrayal by Anthony Carrigan. It must be difficult landing roles with alopecia (outside of scary villain), so I'm glad he has the opportunity to flourish in the role.

Spoilers for Barry season 1:

Spoiler

I found the very ending a real bummer. I know the show is all about Barry's darkness and the fact he's not a good person but kinda wants to be. I was already gut-punched when he executed his poor friend who just got caught up in the stupid bum-rush plot, but then (haven't seen season 2 so I'm going from face value here so don't spoil if I'm wrong) he offs one of the only sympathetic characters in Detective Moss. I'd really grown to like her and was seeing her role to be set up as a bit of a Hank-from-Breaking-Bad character. I suppose that's already been done (in Breaking Bad no less), but it really hit hard. I also feel this is where the dissonance comes in; I don't know if I can watch the wacky hijinks of the acting troupe with the same goofy smile when this is the level of darkness that I should be expecting at every turn. I'm not saying it doesn't work or that it isn't earned, it totally is and it's crucial to the core of the show. But I don't know if it's for me.

I know what you are saying 100%.  That ending was such a huge, huge gut punch for all the reasons you said and does completely make you evaluate if you want to continue watching his character or if he is now irredeemable.  I too am curious to see what impact has on season 2, because some impact should be made clear immediately I think.