What is the last Television series you watched?

Jay

The Golden Girls is great. Even Quintin Tarantino one had a role on the show.

homecoming-julia-roberts-2.jpg

Homecoming

Now that's some good TV! Delivered in succinctly packaged 30 min doses, this 10 episode thriller drama flirts with your expectations with a coquette-ish style and flair. Director Esmail sets aside the exhaustively anarchist angst of Mr. Robot, and handles this teleplay with far more patience, focus and maturity, all without compromising on his stylistic virtuosity. Some might be underwhelmed by the underlying premise of the conspiracy, but I personally love its relative simplicity. It's like a really good play, with the drama amped up to proper Hitchockian levels of personality. The nuanced performances of Roberts, Cannavale and Stephen James sells this world beautifully, but alongside Sam Esmail's scintillating direction, the music is probably the real star. So many fantastic selections of Herrmann, Carpenter, Ligeti, Vangelis, Donaggio, Young, Shire, etc carefully curated to perfection to help sell the many many psychological shades to this. It's just so nice to hear how powerful a good "score" can be.

Great stuff! It's scratched just the spot that hasn't been scratched for some time by recent TV!

Sweet, we've been meaning to check that out, just haven't had a chance.  Looking forward to it, and the final Mr Robot season too

I gave up on Mr. Robot halfway through season 2 for reasons I can't really remember. But I'm thinking about getting back to it again.

Also, I realized I posted in the wrong thread! Woops. Do you mind moving the post Jay?

Mr Robot season 2 was un-good for a while, the subplot of Elliot being in the mental institution or whatever took way too long to resolve, but then holy shit, season 3 was fantastic, and the fact that they knew going into season 4 it would be the final season / end of the story gives me high hopes he will pull of a very satisfying show in the end.

Family Guy is fun because its gross.

Last night they had a mini walking dead reunion on The Kids are Alright. Eugune played Abraham's boss 

Picked up the box set of The Invaders from 1967 from Quinn Martin starring Roy Thinnes.

Gonna binge watch this and the Wandering Earth 流浪地球

Better than Sherlock, Black Mirror, Downton Abbey, Broadchurch, Luther, and Doctor Who?

Actually, Shameless did start out really strong and held out well for many seasons. It was an honest to god council estate drama with a brilliantly funny naughty streak and a big tender heart. Unfortunately it went all out daft in later seasons and basically morphed into a parody of itself, which is where I left it.

First episode of The Crown

source.gif

King George isn't dead yet but already I know I'm going to miss him. What an actor Jared Harris is!

6 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Did you watch season 1 first? (the gif you posted is season 2 i assume)

Is it? :blink:

No, it isn't!

Yes! Very impressive! I checked ages ago when it was just released, saw the high quality, but wasn't in the mood for a costume drama and kind of forgot about it. Yesterday, I stumbled upon a top 10 must see Netflix shows, and was reminded again of The Crown

Isn't Claire Foy the young Liz in The Crown? She wasn't a Who companion. 

Are you possibly thinking of Jenna Colman playing young Queen Victoria in that ITV drama, Steef? 

Retaking GOT from the Bottom.

At Season 1 Episode 5, I'm already all mixed up. Who was this Crazy King?

Robert Baratheon is the King of Westeros in season 1 of the show.  

Unless you are referring to "The Mad King", that is a nickname given to Aerys Targaryen, who was King of Westeros just before Robert was; Robert long with some others (Ned Stark, Tywin Lannister, Jaime Lannister) overthrew him 17 years before the first episode and Robert's been king ever since.

Aerys Targaryen was the father of Daenerys & Viserys Targaryen, the blonde brother and sister over on a completely different continent (Essos) hanging out with The Dothraki.

Jon Aryn.

Ah ok it's the father of this crazy queen that give the breast to his idiot kid.

And this queen she's the sister of Catelyn.

13 minutes ago, Bespin said:

Jon Aryn.

Jon Aryn was The Hand of the The King to Robert Baratheon, but he is poisoned just before the first episode begins.  You find out later in the show who poisoned him.

Ah ok it's the father of this crazy queen that give the breast to his idiot kid.

"give the breast"?  What does that mean?

And this queen she's the sister of Catelyn.

The current Queen of Westeros is Cersei (Lannister) Baratheon, who is married to Robert but secretly fucking her twin brother Jaime Lannister, which is why Jaime pushed Bran Stark out the window at the end of the first episode.

Catelyn Stark's sister is Lissa (Tully) Arryn, who was married to Jon Arryn before he was poisoned.  Now she is the head of The Vale because he is dead, but she's not a queen.  Westeros only has one Queen/King, who rule the entire continent - the "7 Kingdoms".  Each of the other kingdoms have their own "warden", ie Ned Stark is Warden of The North, Jon Arryn was Warden of The Vale, etc.

Anyway, Lissa Arryn is the one still breast feeding her son, if that's what you were talking about up above.

I really can't watch this series without this "Spoiler" family three:

Spoiler

image.png

"to give breast" it exists in english, it's the same as in french.

I think if you go back up and read my edited posts (because you kept adding to yours), you'll find the answers you were looking for.

If you research the show online, you will severely spoil yourself.

12 minutes ago, Jay said:

Agents of SHIELD is renewed?   Why was I under the impression that it was building up to a planned series finale?  I don't actually watch, I just thought that it was wrapping up on its own terms for some reason.

I've never seen it either, but the 6th season just premiered 3 days ago, and it was already renewed for a season 7 before that even started.

Kind of surprising, given how Marvel seemed to work hard to distance it from the movie universe and now that Disney+ series are premiering that are much more closely tied to the movies.  I guess Agents of SHIELD will just exist over in its own space for a while yet.

I guess, theoretically seasons 6 and 7 will deal with the snap, I suppose.  No idea if they'll factor in the 5 year time jump the movies are doing now