What is the last Television series you watched?

Jay

The show is well-made, and often good. But also tends to get pretty soapy at times. Claire Foy is fantastic though.

Finished Season 1 of The Crown yesterday. I really enjoyed the hell out of it, even though I don't give a damn about the British royal family. The characters, the acting (not just Claire Foy but all of them), the intelligent writing, the expressive direction and the looks (4K) ... Everything is top notch. I especially love that each episode is build around a main theme (or two). The episode with the painter and Churchill ... their conversations ... The harsh realization the painting gave Churchill ... I ate it up! 

royal-tv-shows.jpg

Watching on ABC tonight, Live in Front of a Studio Audience, where classic episodes of All in the Family and The Jeffersons are performed by a modern cast live (as in LIVE live, like SNL live) in front of an audience.

It's fun!  All in the Family is so fantastic.  They don't write sitcoms like that anymore.  Marissa Tomei was especially impressive as Edith Bunker.

While we still have HBO, we started Chernobyl last night. Gripping, terrifying, and thrilling. I might want to rewatch ep 1 before moving to 2.

Iptv = internet protocol tv

Instead of paying a cable or satellite bill, you pay for the ability to stream TV channels and content to the device of your choice.

IPTV services may be classified into three main groups:

• Live television and live media, with or without related interactivity;
  • Time-shifted media: e.g. catch-up TV(replays a TV show that was broadcast hours or days ago), start-over TV (replays the current TV show from its beginning);
  • Video on demand (VOD): browse and view items in a stored media catalogue.

3 minutes ago, Jay said:

I am thinking about checking that out.  How do you like it so far?

We like it!  Although the recent price increase definitely had me doing the math to make sure it was still cheaper for us than getting regular cable.

The biggest benefit IMO is the unlimited cloud DVR space.  I assume that's because they don't actually store a recording specific to you but rather just have recordings of all channels that you access specific chunks of based on what's added to your library.

The only channel I've come across that pre-empts your recording and forces you to watch on demand with ads is CBS.

We have a Hulu subscription that lets us watch any shows that air on NBC/ABC/CBS/Fox with no ads.  The new episodes don't show up until the day after they air, but that doesn't matter at all to us.

I was more interested in youtubeTV for the cable channels.  I just don't know how much we'd end up making use of it which is why I hesitate.  Most things we watch these days are streaming originals not cable originals

1 minute ago, Jay said:

We have a Hulu subscription that lets us watch any shows that air on NBC/ABC/CBS/Fox with no ads.  The new episodes don't show up until the day after they air, but that doesn't matter at all to us.

I was more interested in youtubeTV for the cable channels.  I just don't know how much we'd end up making use of it which is why I hesitate.  Most things we watch these days are streaming originals not cable originals

I just wish PBS was on YoutubeTV.  Most of their stuff streams free but it would be nice to have it all in one place.

Plus I have this weird thing I found I really enjoyed going back to watching channels as they broadcast.  I end up watching things I might not other wise see.  Like last night we ended up watching and loving ABC's Live in Front of a Studio Audience, which I knew ZERO about beforehand, just because we didn't change the channel when Jeopardy ended.

Just now, Jay said:

PBS comes in perfect quality through our antennae

I might not even have Youtube TV if an antenna picked up the local channels, I'd probably be fine with over-the-air + streaming.  But our town is too far away to reliably pick up the signal, plus we sort of live on the side of a hill facing the opposite direction of the city.  Topography!

Isn't Cobra Kai a YouTube Original? I think it's become its flagship show or something.

1 hour ago, The Original said:

Game of Thrones.

Will this make sexy hot chicks think I'm cool?

Yes, just like what happened when you watched Twin Peaks (after its zeitgeist had also passed).

15 minutes ago, Quintus said:

Isn't Cobra Kai a YouTube Original? I think it's become it's flagship show or something.

Yep, it's a Youtube show.  We watched and liked the first season, haven't made time for season 2 yet.

I can watch that cause we have Youtube Red / Google Music, but we haven't gotten around to it yet

I saw some of the first season.  Decent enough.  It is character based, really, and done in a kind of down to earth way.  More enjoyable than I expected.

15 hours ago, xWxzek said:

While we still have HBO, we started Chernobyl last night. Gripping, terrifying, and thrilling. I might want to rewatch ep 1 before moving to 2.

I wish we still got HBO over here.  Nuclear disaster dramas are right up my alley.

Karate Kid wasn't really a childhood favourite of mine. I mean, it was alright, from a kid's POV, but I wasn't really into it like I was The Goonies, or War Games.

When I heard a few weeks ago it had now spawned a TV show, I suppose I sniggered to myself internally, like, WTF why was this ever made? I bet it's terrible!

Then last week a TV guy I know unexpectedly recommend it to me, said believe it or not Lee it's actually really good light entertainment, well written and made. So that suddenly piqued my interest, and I'm going to give it a try, even though the content seems to be almost the exact opposite of what I normally look for. But sometimes that's what makes something worthwhile, init.

It's received universal acclaim since it was released, Lee.  

Season 1 was 100% on rotten tomatoes for a while

Great shows are made that spring off some old movie or other property all the time.  I don't see the problem

chernobyl_1161x653.jpg

Caught the two first episodes of 'Chernobyl' and it's spooky, gripping stuff. While it gets more procedural once the military takes action (the first episode is incredibly tense because you know what's happening but the russians/ukrainians don't when they all run out to watch the beautiful fire in the sky) there's also a grim logic to the martyr deaths here: there's just literally no other choice. For all those who remember that spring in 1986 it probably will be mandatory viewing.

5rCr8qk.png

Fleabag

Anyone else catch this quirky BBC comedy(dramedy?)? Found it on Amazon Prime and it's an absolute riot! It's witty, sharp and the lead is brilliantly charismatic. But best of all, it's just 2 short seasons. Highly recommended!

2 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

Friends, season 2. Anyone else dislike Phoebe and mildly dislike Monica?

No

I remember her always having the best punch-lines though. Monica just got increasingly annoying in the later seasons.

On 5/9/2019 at 9:23 PM, Jay said:

Better than Sherlock, Black Mirror, Downton Abbey, Broadchurch, Luther, and Doctor Who?

SHERLOCK: inane psychobabble, dressed up in smart photography. Do you really want to root for a high functioning sociopath?

BLACK MIRROR: NEWSWIPE is better.

DOWNTOWN ABBEY: upper class twits of this, and the previous five years. Out of touch, privileged rubbish.

BROADCHURCH: making money out of murder and misery. Avoid.

LUTHER: see BROADCHURCH.

DOCTOR WHO: my favourite programme ever...but SHAMELESS just takes it, for this century.

On 5/9/2019 at 9:32 PM, Quintus said:

Actually, Shameless did start out really strong and held out well for many seasons. It was an honest to god council estate drama with a brilliantly funny naughty streak and a big tender heart. Unfortunately it went all out daft in later seasons and basically morphed into a parody of itself, which is where I left it.

True, but very few shows don't end up as parody.

At its best, it was a wonderful examination of love, loyalty, and friends. In Frank Gallagher, David Threlfall found the role he was born to play. 

Heh, heh, heh! Scatter!

Shameless was glib rubbish. Typical British comfort food tv that made it appear living on a council estate in soul crushing deprevation wasn't all that bad!

Not enough OD's, spousal abuse, and underage rape to be even remotely plausible.

As much of a fantasy as Downtown Abbey.