What is the last Television series you watched?

Jay

26 minutes ago, SteveMc said:

Question: Is the whole Chernobyl series now available on demand in HBO?

Yes.

24 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

Better yet, has the whole series been 'aired' yet? 

Yes.

12 minutes ago, Quintus said:

It's finished already? 

Yes.

On 6/4/2019 at 3:14 PM, Jay said:

@Disco Stu what did you think?

It was appointment television for us every night.

His strategy was always based on taking BIG risks so it was basically foregone that he’d never reach Ken’s total games won record, but I did think he might pass the money record.  It’s almost poetic how James lost right on the cusp of breaking that.  Ken’s two main records remain intact.  Maybe forever, depending on if they keep the show going if Trebek’s health doesn’t improve.

If Trebek's health doesn't improve, Ken Jennings will take over as the new host!

Just now, Jay said:

If Trebek's health doesn't improve, Ken Jennings will take over as the new host!

This has been what I’ve been saying for years.  But who knows if Sony would see him as a viable candidate.

Deadwood: The Movie. I enjoyed it, it definitely feels like the show. My only gripe is that it is so short. I could have watched another season. Still, it does manage to cram in a lot of stuff. As far as 2-hour decade late resolution go, this wasn't a bad one at all.

Karol

35 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Trebek’s health doesn’t improve.

Well, I've read that Trebek is doing a bit better.  So that's good news.

Watched 2 out of the 3 episodes of 63 Up, currently airing on ITV.  I first caught up with the series with 49 Up in the mid-2000s, so this is now 14 years I've been watching them in real time.  It's quite an experience following these people, very poignant and soulful.  For the first time a subject has died since 56 Up.  Such a special project, going since 1964.  I wonder who will keep it going after Michael Apted dies.

54 minutes ago, Jay said:

They do those as TV episodes now? They used to be films....

Actually it's often been a split.  A multi-episode series airs on British TV and is then edited into a single film for the USA.

This has been the case for:

28 Up (1984)

42 Up (1998)

49 Up (2005)

56 Up (2012)

63 Up (2019)

Yea, we watched it.  It wasn't great, but the acting and cinematography was nice.

It's annoyingly getting a second season, when the initial episodes was advertised as a miniseries, told a complete story, and wrapped up nicely.  Oh well

Out of comedy desperation we've returned to It's Always Sunny. What we do is we just skip any episodes which have really unwatchably stupid setups at the beginning. There's generally good episodes dotted throughout, so it's probably worth it, and so long as you're vigilant about the sporadic bad ones there's some solid light entertainment to be had.

4 hours ago, The Original said:

Anyone else see Big Little Lies? I'm up to the fifth episode. It's like a more dark and disturbing version of Desperate Housewives.

It's fun! (but don't really remember most of it)

Since he doesn't torrent or pay for HBO, he probably had no way to see it until recently

10 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

I thought Drax already had seen this show. It's soapy but superior. 

When it first aired, I only got to see the finale. So now I finally got to see it all.

6 minutes ago, Jay said:

Since he doesn't torrent or pay for HBO, he probably had no way to see it until recently

HBO shows play regularly here on Foxtel.

7 minutes ago, Jay said:

I saw it on TV (Canvas).

Good Omens. Being a big Terry Pratchett fan (I finished my almost two decades long read-through of the Discworld series earlier this year), and having finally read several Neil Gaiman stories in the past few years, I have to admit that the book isn't among my favourites by probably either writer. It's good, of course, and often very good, and very witty; it just doesn't really come together so well as a whole for me. Not surprising then that, while I was massively anticipating it, I'm not quite as ecstatic about the TV version as many others on the web seem to be. It's an excellent adaptation though, and like to book it has its moments of brilliance. Aside from a few bits here and there, I didn't have any quibbles with it, and that alone is a feat, considering how hard to adapt Pratchett's writings tend to be. Based on that alone, anyone who likes the book should find the series perfectly satisfactory.

But probably the most successful aspect of the TV version is the absolutely brilliant casting. David Tennant and Michael Sheen (who I was almost entirely unfamiliar with; apparently I've seen him in two films before, but I didn't remember him from either) are a dream pairing in the lead role, and the rest of the cast is fabulous as well. And you get a fun score by David Arnold, including some Brian May style guitar work (in addition to them making full use of their Queen licence and appropriately littering the show with their greatest hits).

All in all a must see.

We'll probably watch it tonight

Started Chernobyl last night, it was very good

It is excellent. The series finale is one of the greatest TV finales in recent memory. 

And then I read on Twitter and Facebook that it's riddled with historical and scientific inaccuracies. I think I can live with them. If anything, it's inspired me to seek out more books on the subject. 

I keep meaning to start Deadwood and Chernobyl is high up on my list, but I can't stop watching Rick and Morty at the moment. This and The Orville are like my major show comfort food right now.

I remember when all I would watch was hard-hitting Shakespearean epics, but damn if can be arsed with that bleak shit at this present moment.

Chernobyl-Episode-5-Control-Room.jpg

Chernobyl offers insight to what happened with the power station and the people that were involved ... but that's about it. The universal raving about this show feels like another case of mass hysteria to me. Yes, it's a good (mini)series but the best ever?! 7/10