What is the last Television series you watched?

Jay

Right, the superheroes are the antagonists and the protagonists are people who want to kill them all led by Karl Urban.  Check out the trailer

41 minutes ago, Koray Savas said:

No one was looking at the meter, just that the same non-posting member was liking all of your posts.

How people could see that is a mystery to me. Who goes looking at new members' profiles to see what they're liking?

Yea, just saw the news myself.  We haven't even watched season 2 yet.  I wonder if it's worth it.

8 minutes ago, Jay said:

Yea, just saw the news myself.  We haven't even watched season 2 yet.  I wonder if it's worth it.

In the reddit thread where I saw the news it seemed to be full of gutted fans who are really disappointed, especially considering how much better than the first season they reckon it is.

43 minutes ago, Quintus said:

Shame. S2 was weird (but so was the first one), and totally different. With all the half explained (at best) concepts and character arcs at play, they certainly could have made it work for a few more seasons.

I didn't like the second season so it's okay. Yes, it was totally different, but not in a good way. I loved the mystery and vagueness of the first season. I didn't see that back in S2.

The first season was definitely a worthwhile odditiy, it had some brilliant moments, especially early on. It was a bit too airy fairy for me in parts though, and it did sag in the middle, there's no doubt about it. But maybe I'll see what reddit was saying about S2 after all, sometime. I wonder if it ends satisfyingly enough there.

I dunno, season 1 ended in a sort of half wrap-up, half new cliffhanger-y type way, and I'd imagine season 2 probably ends similarly.  But it's odd, for all the buzz season 1 got when it came out, Season 2 seems to have generated significantly less buzz.  I suppose the 2 1/2 years between seasons didn't help, plus the general fact there's just so much damn content these days, it's hard for anything to maintain a buzz for too long...

I finished The Act, the one about Dee Dee and Gypsy.

Well made show with a lot of suspense as it becomes more dark and disturbing in its last few parts. Poor Gypsy's lived a twisted life but seems to have a good heart despite her ordeal. Even more dark and disturbing is that weirdo she picked up with, god this is flyover country, huh. And so more TV shows are being shot in anamorphic – is that even necessary? Well it looks good at least.

A1GbKvVyG4L._RI_.jpg

Watch this on Netflix. It's pretty good (except for the terrible final episode), then again, I'm a sucker for subject matters like these. 7/10

maxresdefault.jpg

In hope of a fast-moving media/politics narrative i turned to Showtime's recent series about liberal boogeyman Roger Aisles, creator of Fox News, who's dishonorable exploits on the media front became devoured by #metoo claiming that label for Ailes' misogyny and rampant sexism. Take your pick which is worse, which also is 'The Loudest Voice's narrative problem: though centered on Ailes, there's not much of a character study here but a checkbox of big events in US media history (the forming of Fox News, 9/11, the rise of Trump) with Ailes spearheading them, uttering his Bond villain readings of the gullible american mind at every turn to the shock and dismay of his staff and, occasionally, even his boss/mogul Rupert Murdock, not known for his scruples, either.

Now, for a country where hip cynism rules tv since at least 30 years, it's hard to fathom that Ailes' corrupt media politics were that big of a shock to people laughing at Mayor Quimby every week, let alone career-hungry media folk. In the series, though, everyone besides Ailes reacts with wide-eyed shock when he again and again orders perfectly understandable breaches of journalist ethics needed to further his fascist agenda - after working for the Fox News channel for years, how believable is it that his network people still didn't get the beat?

It's slick and entertaining in the way these high-production value things usually are, Russell Crowe is probably a bad Ailes impersonator - apart from being irritated by the constantly visible line where his bald plate is taped on, i found his voice sounds much too booming and classically trained - but he gets the idea across of how such a person might move through life, which is good enough. But again, with an actor as accomplished as Crowe, wasn't it possible to focus more on what made Ailes tick like he did? A few glimpses of his childhood (coming much too late in the 7-episodes run) just aren't enough to explain this guy, who, like many others before and probably after him, is made by the system he was born into. A series about Ailes practically begs for a socio-cultural analysis on the United States, but for 'The Loudest Voice', flat stating of questionable agendas is enough. 

His treatment of women is the only element where the series now and then opens up a bit: Crowe in these scenes of #abuse #powerplay sometimes projects a focused stillness that gets across a certain messy appeal: disgusting as he may be, it's this special blend of power and attention that didn't seem so objectionable/abominable to some of his prominent victims as they later claimed. Such complexities that belie our superficial, outrage-prone social media narratives are in dire need here. All in all, it's too bad they didn't take more of a chance with this - after all, there is some Shakespearean depth in the character itself, but you can still watch it for a breezy explanation what made Trump possible in 2016, a topic, though, that is about as welcome now as another round of failed Brexit negotiations . 

I think what the show hits rather well is how nihilist Ailes' mantras were and how fast he corrupted the whole country with it. 'Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people', indeed. Though what imho makes such US versions of The Sun & Co. so deplorable is the lack of humour: i had the privilege once to study brit tabloid journalism and most of this stuff, awful as it was, had a leery sense of fun about it. Watch those Fox hosts and their pitiful self-righteous anger and poor semantics is just tiresome.

I started "Another Life" on Netflix, a new Scifi TV series.

Already in the first two episodes, there are flashbacks, visions of dead characters and dream sequences.

I've stopped it. That's a big turn off for me.

I saw that before... Com'on, prove me you are able to tell a story.

Moreover, in that series a woman screams in EVERY SINGLE EPISODE.

NO. NO. NOOOOOOOOOOO.

Take me by the hand and tell me your story, don't use "tricks".

Tell me a story from the beginning to the end... and in chronological order.

Are they still directors who can do that these days?