What is the last Television series you watched?

Jay

Yeah I saw that available to stream on Netflix. Looks like another shaggin' and sandals soap opera along the lines of Tudors.

Okay so suddenly Curb got 10x better. I'll be sad to see Cheryl go, but it needed to happen. The show was getting stale and a big shift like that was required.

Apparently, this one has better reviews than the one with Irons... I'll see both. Reviews can't be trusted (even if in this case, I'll think I'll agree with them)

Production value of the Showtime one (Irons) must be good. I believe they did The Tudors as well.

Let's see what this does over at Metacritic ...

... Oops, only 66/100. But still, it's better than the 64/100 the Tudors received and I liked that show.

8/10 on IMDb.

The best word to describe this show is 'beautiful'. The sets and costumes, like other reviewers have pointed out, are stunning. Everything flows together cohesively, and nothing feels out of place or awkward.

Going into this show, from the buzz surrounding it, I was expecting a soap opera, akin to The Tudors. Calling it a soap opera, however, really doesn't do the show justice. From what I've seen thus far, I'd compare it more to HBO's Deadwood or Rome. Sure, it shares some elements with soap operas, but it's so much more. It's hard to describe without giving out spoilers, though, so you'll just have to see for yourself.

Deadwood and Rome you say? Okay, Blu-ray it is!

The Borgias has its moments and Jeremy Irons is excellent (as always). But overall, I felt they lost a lot of potential with this show. I believe the Tudors was better than this.

Theres something that Showtime tends to miss with its historical dramas. Camelot was really flawed in parts and I wouldn't watch it if it hadn't been for Eva Green's excellent performances. Even Ralph Fiennes was good, I just hated the guy who was casted for Arthur...urgh.

Anything over 50 on Metacritic and RT is usually worth watching.

You sure bout that? Pirahna 3D has high 70s on RT, wouldn't call that worth watching :D

Then Boardwalk Empire (88/100) must be fantastic!

Boardwalk Empire is the best show on TV. It's really, really good. Season 2 was even better than Season 1.

Hung is also very good, I'm so bummed they didn't renew it. The season 3 finale was a non-finale!

Boardwalk Empire only works if you watch every episode in order. Otherwise nothing will make sense

The other day, I watched "Noel Fielding's Luxury Comedy". It failed on two counts:

1/ it wasn't luxurious, and

2, it wasn't funny.

"Shameless" is back (yeah!), but it's the last ever "Hustle", next week (yah boo sucks!!).

Still, roll on 7th. April...

Anyone here watch Cougar Town? I keep hearing it's exactly like Scrubs, and that Bill Lawrence is struggling to keep it on the air. I want to watch it eventually, but don't really feel like buying the DVDs.

I think Season 3 starts on Valentine's Day. I might watch just to help keep its ratings up.

You only help the ratings if there is a Nielsen box in your home

I watched the pilot and didn't like it. I'm sure it got better, but I haven't botheed to find out.

I'm currently attempt all 9 seasons of the X-Files, in a relatively consistent fashion. I'm in the middle of season 2 right now. I tried this about 5 years ago but only got to season 4 before I decided to take a break but never started back up again.

So I'm trying one more time!

Hung is also very good, I'm so bummed they didn't renew it. The season 3 finale was a non-finale!

Boardwalk Empire only works if you watch every episode in order. Otherwise nothing will make sense

But if it does, it's a hell of a saga. Think of ONCE UPON A TIME IN AMERICA spun over 30 hours.

I have been having a Jeeves and Wooster marathon this week. Despite the very repetive plot lines, Hugh Laurie and Stephen Fry keep the show alive and oh so funny. The upper classes, as exaggerated as their foibles might be in the show, give endless amount of opporturnities for lampoon.The rather sorry line of hapless loons, excentrics, lovelorn men and women and aristocratic fops dancing around Bertie Wooster, Bertie getting embroiled in plots for money or acceptance of marriage or trying himself to avoid imbending doom of marriage (usually arranged by aunt Agatha) offers great comedy in classic British fashion. The main pair could not have been chosen better, Laurie's performance a masterpiece of absent minded ease and ineptitude, Fry as the ever stone faced yet suave butler with perfect diction working brilliantly. I also love the production values and again the way they create the time and place of manor halls, luxurious flats and other haunts of the upper classes in the beginning of the century through to 1940's, the world a mix of different decades.

The cast is excellent, playing their roles at times with exaggerated glee and for their part enforce the spirit of Wodehouse's stories that seem to paint these people with broad strokes, leaving the actors and writers a lot of room to invent all kind of colorful details for their personalities, appearances and manner. The adaptation is done imaginatively, weaving several short stories into unified plots, producing some very succesful plot lines that flow quite naturally from tale to tale. Bertie's near escapes finishing off each episode become a life affirming trope for the show, Jeeves and our befuddled bon vivant driving into the sunset, escaping marriages, aunt Agatha or angry mobs or resolving predicaments and learning some airy light lesson in the process.

Laurie's performance a masterpiece of absent minded ease and ineptitude,

Before House came along, it was the only role he knew. He literally did the same routine in everything he was in ;)

But if it does, it's a hell of a saga. Think of ONCE UPON A TIME IN AMERICA spun over 30 hours.

I think Once Upon A Time In America is great just the way it is, at 4 hours.

Laurie's performance a masterpiece of absent minded ease and ineptitude,

Before House came along, it was the only role he knew. He literally did the same routine in everything he was in ;)

Yeah that was a bit the case. But I think Bertie Wooster is the epitome of this particular style and really fits the character like a glove. Especially his eyes bulging with disbelief and horror are so funny And funnily Fry and Laurie reminisced in a recent documentary how Laurie gets so beaten up in all these comedic roles. As Fry put it, people just love to beat the crap out of him. :lol:

Anyone watch Mildred Pierce? Its fantastic with some exceptional acting on Kate Winslet's part (as to be expected). Yes, it starts off a bit slow, but the series is so engrossing and engaging in its strong narrative and haunting characters. I love this loyal adaption!