What is the last Television series you watched?

Jay

Once Upon a Time was good, but I thought it was one of his more melodramatic and bloated movies. I'd be expecting Boardwalk to be superior.

Also, the last segment where all the actors are wearing makeup to look older is so fake. I never like it when actors wear wigs and heavy makeup to look 20 years older. I'm sure there must be some instances when it was done in a believable or convincing way, but personally, I would avoid it like I would avoid filming Star Wars in a forest.

Alex

I'd look at it as motivation to look for good TV instead.

I'm looking for a fantasy, science-fiction or horror show. I'd like it to have an ambitious story well thought from beginning to end, that isn't looking for political correction, a diverse cast of entertaining characters, good special effects etc. I've already seen Game of Thrones and Firefly. I was thinking on checking out Cowboy Bebop.

Chaac, if you have half the taste I think you have, watch Twin Peaks. If your young arse is capable of looking past (and allowing yourself to see the absolute charm in) the dated aesthetics, you won't be disappointed. Three episodes is what it takes to be hooked.

Twin Peaks is so fucking great I've not finished it yet... with just three more episodes to go. I'm delaying The End - because I shall be sad when it's finished.

That's the beauty of it! It's the only show EVER that ends with an ambiguously brilliant finale (boxed off by the painfully tantalising film).

If only tat like Heroes, or Jerico were afforded a similarly rewarding resolution.

Recently, I've been convalescing, and I've been watching "The Professionals" on ITV4.

I just love this show: I love it for its look (brown), its production design (brown), and its costume design (brown). It's a snapshot of life in late '70s England, when life was...er...brown! Add to that some wonderful "leave it aaht, guv'nor!" - type lines, and some truly expert direction by a very young Martin Campbell, and you have a very exciting show. Lewis Collins would have made a superb James Bond.

I watched the pilot to Earth 2 today on Netflix. I know the show was canned and it got really weird towards the end...ok, it got really weird in the pilot with the dream plane being reality...but I vividly remember tuning in each week to watch the show, and I liked it. It filled in the hole in my weekly TV sci-fi craving after TNG ended, and DS9 and B5 were shown too infrequently on the few network stations that I could get.

But I enjoyed this re-watch. Clancy Brown made everything more enjoyable to watch. The little muppet looked fake, but all in all, I think the special effects inside the spaceship and on the planet held up pretty well for the show being almost 18 years old. I could have done without the blatant product placement of the Hummer vehicle they found waiting for them on the planet, but the show had a really good cast and Debra Farentino...fabulously attractive woman. Even the music was very good, and I'd love to get my hands on a promo album. And the closing shot of a devious Tim Curry watching over the party was just awesome.

Just one thing upsets me. The girl who played Clancy Brown's daughter True was a very cute little girl, and I wanted to know why I haven't seen her career advance. She had a heart condition and required a transplant, and ultimately died of a heart attack right before she turned 22. Very sad.

I loved Earth 2 as a kid watchig it live every sunday night at 7. Was sad when it didnt get a second season.

Would be curious to watch it again now and see how I feel about it.

OMG that ep of Curb was hilarious!!

I seem to be watching more of the old TV series than current ones these days. The only moderns shows I have been watching regularly are The Boardwalk Empire and The Game of Thrones.

I've got three episodes left of Twin Peaks (I'm delaying finishing it because I'll be genuinely gutted when it's over). Contender for my favourite show EVER.

Mad Men season 4 is waaaay ahead of me. That's on temp hold as well.

I'm only finding time in the evenings for 30mins of Larry David and Arrested Development.

Smart kid!

I'm not saying he isn't, but he's too young to get anything out of something like Mad Men.

Sorry, that's what I meant. I'm still stuck halfway through season 2.

The constant tv promos for the next season are teasing me to hurry up and get a move on.

Season 3 is much better than season 2, IMO. (They stopped with the regular flashbacks)

Oddly for me, I enjoy the flashbacks (I hated them in Lost to the point of stopping watching it).

Unlike the tiresome ones of Lost, Don's flashbacks added real heft and insight into his character, I thought.

With Don Draper, I'm not sure if I want the insights (keeping things mysterious is often more intriguing than exposition) or if I want it through the use of flashbacks. Anyway, they were easily my least favorite aspect of Mad Men. I was glad to see they were no more in season 3. That doesn't mean they stopped using them but you can no longer set your watch to it. Little spoiler: In season 4, there's a nice flashback of Don and Roger meeting each other.

Alex

With Don Draper, I'm not sure if I want the insights (keeping things mysterious is often more intriguing than exposition) or if I want it through the use of flashbacks. Anyway, they were easily my least favorite aspect of Mad Men. I was glad to see they were no more in season 3. That doesn't mean they stopped using them but you can no longer set your watch to it. Little spoiler: In season 4, there's a nice flashback of Don and Roger meeting each other.

I was so confused by that flashback. The show did nothing to signify there was a change in time. Only until the end of that scene did I realize we were in the past. I think that was always the case with flashbacks, but the editing in this particular situation didn't help.

I don't like how Don's past was executed in the show. Not only did it seem impossible, but it felt like a curveball in the pace and tone the show set up in the pilot. It does add layer and depth to his character, but I think the show would be better if it left the double identity thing out, or cleaned it up a bit so it wasn't so ridiculous. Either way, the writers really fucked up in Season 4.

He has a great thing going with the freelance chick. I recall Sally liking her. Don liked her. She liked Don. He told her his secret, which meant something. I felt the show was moving in the right direction, of him changing and settling down. Then off he goes and marries his secretary without a second thought.

Not sure if I understand what you mean with 'fucked up season 4' but if you mean they shouldn't delve into Don's past too much then I agree.

I didn't experience any problem with jumping back in time without warning (like a blurry transition or something). You could see that it was a flashback by their conversation and also, Don doesn't work as a salesman in a shop.

Spoiler Season 4: Don marrying his free lance secretary without thinking about it is a reaction to the bad things that happened in his love life. It often is meant to get back at the person that went away (ex-wife).

Not sure if I understand what you mean with 'fucked up season 4' but if you mean they shouldn't delve into Don's past too much then I agree.

Spoiler Season 4: Don marrying his free lance secretary without thinking about it is a reaction to the bad things that happened in his love life. It often is meant to get back at the person that went away (ex-wife).

I was referring to the season finale, which you addressed somewhat in your spoiler.

Don has no reason to get back at Betty, she's naturally the disgruntled one. He's at fault for the divorce and he knows it, but refuses to accept it himself. Either way, he found a new love that he spent the whole season with, and entrusted her with his past, only to throw all of that character development away in the finale.

It makes no sense on the writers' part, which leads me to Karol's post:

Season 4 is definitely a bit weaker than the previous three. Not sure why. Maybe the concept is simply wearing out?

I think the reason why Season 4 ended the way it did was so there could be a whole other season about something. I don't know what Matthew Weiner's game plan is, but at this point it seems like he has no end in sight and wants to keep it going on aimlessly. All he really had to do was give more attention to the side characters.

Big Love kept going downhill every season. Seasons 4 and 5 were just brutal to try to get through.

Though Season 3 does have one spectacular episode (Come, Ye Saints)

You're in for extreme disappointment. The first 2 seasons were the best by a long mile. It all slowly goes downhill as the show gets more and more complicated and there are more and more characters and more and more situations Bill gets himself in the middle of. Bleh.

Too bad, the show had such potential and 2 strong opening seasons...

After I watched the Earth 2 pilot, I watched the pilot to Sliders, which I had never seen before. I got into that show well into later seasons -- still during the first three since the Professor and Wade were still in it -- but I couldn't tell you if the order made a difference. I think I'm going to watch that one instead of Earth 2.

Strike that. Firefly will come before Sliders.

Personally I don't mind that Netflix is dropping a lot of movies in favor of TV shows. There are a lot of good ones to catch up on.

After I watched the Earth 2 pilot, I watched the pilot to Sliders, which I had never seen before. I got into that show well into later seasons -- still during the first three since the Professor and Wade were still in it -- but I couldn't tell you if the order made a difference. I think I'm going to watch that one instead of Earth 2.

Strike that. Firefly will come before Sliders.

Personally I don't mind that Netflix is dropping a lot of movies in favor of TV shows. There are a lot of good ones to catch up on.

I used to watch Sliders as a kid too! It was on every Friday night, double-billed with The X-Files (before X-Files moved to Sundays). Good times.

Over the past week I watched the entire series of Home Movies. Possibly my favorite comedy series, and by far my favorite animated series. It's unfortunate it got cancelled, but the finale was perfect.

I need to start tuning in to Bob's Burgers. Seems Loren Bouchard broke his curse by lasting more than 4 episodes with this one. The thing with Home Movies though, it has the perfect blend of Bouchard, Small, Katz, and Benjamin to create the ultimate comedy. Everything these guys have done afterwards have paled in comparison.

Over the past week I watched the entire series of Home Movies. Possibly my favorite comedy series, and by far my favorite animated series. It's unfortunate it got cancelled, but the finale was perfect.

I haven't seen that one, but I loved Dr Katz when I was a kid. Have you checked out his next show, Bob's Burgers, yet?

Yep, I edited my post to add some more stuff. I've only seen the Pilot, but I thought it was funny.

I definitely suggest you get into Home Movies. I like it more than Dr. Katz. Coach McGuirk is one of the greatest TV characters.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQcgfteriQw

I'll definitely check it out eventually!

Now when are you gonna start watching Fringe? ;)

I saw an episode recently. The one with the guy from The Dark Knight that could see the future or something. Still not really my thing. I'm more interested in Alcatraz. Do you know anything about Person Of Interest? I recall watching the first few minutes of the Pilot, and the opening was so overlong and was exactly some movie I saw, but I don't remember which.

EDIT

Oh yeah, Minority Report.