What is the last Television series you watched?

Jay

That's because there are a lot more thick-as-pig-shit people watching tv than there are those with taste.

Now that The Walking Dead has finished, the vast majority of its audience will move onto American Idle.

"American Idle"! Brilliant: I love it! :lol:

Never seen the other two, but New Girl is great!

Two Broke Girls is better though

I agree about Two Broke Girls but it looked like a train wreck in the previews but what a surprise that the show ends up being good and getting better.

The other new shows I've seen are Whitney and Chelsea, neither of which are as good as 2BG or NG

tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2012/04/10/hbo-renews-game-of-thrones-for-a-third-season/128354/

Looking at those ratings makes me wonder how long it'll take it to surpass The Walking Dead's.

With this and The Hobbit, it could be a really great year for fantasy fans.

GOT is Fantasy?

Yes, kind of. With poxy whores and a heavy dose of sex in each episode.

The bullshit sexposition is the only thing which spoils it. They waste precious runtime on that titillating (for teenage boys) boobs and arse nonsense, it's embarrassing really. Other than that though, GoT is fuckin' awesome.

Imagine if after three long movies, Frodo entered Mount Doom with the Ring, only to be met by the Witchking, who abruptly slays the silly little noble Hobbit right before Sam's gormless eyes, before returning the Ring to Him. Gandalf and company left up shit creek without a paddle scratching their beleaguered heads, and that's Game of Thrones.

The bullshit sexposition is the only thing which spoils it. They waste precious runtime on that titillating (for teenage boys) boobs and arse, it's embarrassing really. Other than that though, GoT is fuckin' awesome.

Yes. That sums it up nicely.

Stefan is being a bit weather vane-y today I see.

What's interesting is that sex is noticeably absent from the books.

I'm almost done with the first season of Carnivale. It is really good. Takes its time to warm up, though.

Karol

Karol

Well I am reading book 5 and it seems Martin must have thought his novels look pale in comparison with the TV series and has added a good deal more of sex.

Sounds like rubbish!

I'm out!

Imagine in FotR the Hobbits arrive at Bree for the night, but instead of joining the merry antics of the pub's patrons, they instead order in a bevy of whores for tits in their faces and skilled fellatio. Next morning they wake with sore heads - cursing themselves for completely forgetting about the meet with Gandalf, and that's Game of Thrones.

I'm almost done with the first season of Carnivale. It is really good. Takes its time to warm up, though.

Karol

"Carnivale" has been described as "Twin Peaks meets John Steinbeck". Apt.

Just wait until it develops in series 2. What do you think of the climax of series 1?

Sure, but man-on-man action????

I suspect thats what will be present in this week's episode...

I'm only assuming that based on the previews of Renly we had (and since this ep is all about renly..)...but in now way is that a reason to avoid season 2. For all we know, that stuff could only be on for a second. I believe that the pacing will definitely pick up with this episode, so for people complaining about the pace (ahem, BloodBoal), there'll prob be more action in this one.

I'm more concerned about how they'll manipulate and twist Margarey Tyrell's character...

I finally got around to watching The Office. UK original, of course.

I've always been a fan of Gervais and Merchant, but this pushes it over the edge, they're geniuses. Infinitely better than anything in Extras and their stuff with Karl Pilkington. They've always been hilarious, but Extras lacked the dramatic character writing present here. I've literally just watched the whole series in a single sitting, and I was in tears by the end. I don't know why I was so moved by the Tim/Dawn relationship, maybe because it reflects a lot of my personal life, but I found it so incredibly real and well acted. Even being able to give David Brent, one of the most egotistical and inconsiderate and superficial beings in TV history, a moving and satisfying conclusion is brilliant in itself.

The series also further proves that their 2 season structure is near flawless. American cable television just tries to get as many views as possible without any real quality, and then subsequently drags it on until it's dead. The US version is proof of this. I haven't watched it past Season 3, but I can tell that it just changed the names on the original series' scripts and then dragged it on, and it still keeps going apparently.

I thought it was good from the get-go. Most of my recollections are from those first episodes.

Oh I did like it from the start, but the story starts to pick up some momentum. That's what I meant. I've got two gripes about it, though: the music is really generic TV score and on-the-nose (well, maybe except for Justin's theme), and the characters don't seem to go anywhere (apart from Justin). They just have the same exact conversation in every single episode. But because it's so well done, you enjoy watching it anyway.

Karol

I finally got around to watching The Office. UK original, of course.

I've always been a fan of Gervais and Merchant, but this pushes it over the edge, they're geniuses. Infinitely better than anything in Extras and their stuff with Karl Pilkington. They've always been hilarious, but Extras lacked the dramatic character writing present here. I've literally just watched the whole series in a single sitting, and I was in tears by the end. I don't know why I was so moved by the Tim/Dawn relationship, maybe because it reflects a lot of my personal life, but I found it so incredibly real and well acted. Even being able to give David Brent, one of the most egotistical and inconsiderate and superficial beings in TV history, a moving and satisfying conclusion is brilliant in itself.

The series also further proves that their 2 season structure is near flawless. American cable television just tries to get as many views as possible without any real quality, and then subsequently drags it on until it's dead. The US version is proof of this. I haven't watched it past Season 3, but I can tell that it just changed the names on the original series' scripts and then dragged it on, and it still keeps going apparently.

:thumbup:

I thought it was good from the get-go. Most of my recollections are from those first episodes.

Oh I did like it from the start, but the story starts to pick up some momentum. That's what I meant. I've got two gripes about it, though: the music is really generic TV score and on-the-nose (well, maybe except for Justin's theme), and the characters don't seem to go anywhere (apart from Justin). They just have the same exact conversation in every single episode. But because it's so well done, you enjoy watching it anyway.

Karol

I don't remember the music to be a problem. But I wonder, do you think Williams' music is so unusual? Agreed with the characters, they don't go anywhere but perhaps that's a good thing? The only story arc of true importance is the clashing of the devil and the angel. But who is who? :)

Alex

Karol

I don't remember the music to be a problem. But I wonder, do you think Williams' music is so unusual? Agreed with the characters, they don't go anywhere but perhaps that's a good thing? The only story arc of true importance is the clashing of the devil and the angel. But who is who? :)

Alex

What bothers me about the music is that it sounds cheap as opposed to the otherwise amazing production values. Same with Game of Thrones. And I wish they did something less obvious with it. More striking perhaps. Take There Will Be Blood, for example. Also a period piece but the music does something else. This show deserves better.

As for Williams, his approach is somewhat rare these days. When I watched War Horse some time ago, I thought to myself "no one in the audience will get this". Which is not necessarily a bad thing.

Oh and I just finished watching episode 6 of the second season. Six more to go...

Karol

I see what you mean, crocs. The accessibility of the music is perhaps one of the consessions Carnivale has to make (in order for the show to be made made in the first place). Only when you're PTA or Haneke, you can do what you want.

Alex

Well, I just finished it. It's a very entertaining show, but far from perfect. It's funny how it almost mirrors Twin Peaks in so many ways. I'd like to see more of it, but it's still more complete than I thought it would be.

Karol

It's on my list. Does it end as well as Twin Peaks - given that both were cut short? There's something about TP abrupt halt which makes it deliciously satisfying.

It doesn't end as abruptly. I'd say both endings have some similarities.

It's not as quirky as Twin Peaks, though. But then again, what is?

Karol