What is the last Television series you watched?

Jay

3 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

That second review makes the same point someone here on the board made about Larry being more just a dick now, less relatable.  I will admit him telling a lesbian she was too butch to wear the bride's dress was the lowest point of the season so far.  It got better after that first episode IMO.

I actually started watching episode 1 a couple of weeks ago and turned it off when he started arguing with the butch lesbian about holding the door open.  I wasn't enraged or anything, it's just such tired, cliched comedy territory at this point and it was disappointing to see Curb be kinda boring in that way.  I decided to push through the other day and I'm glad I did.  Fun stuff.

23 minutes ago, Jay said:

Nah, its still great

I know you loved season 8 too, but if you recall, I was calling it out a bit at the time for my feeling that it had dropped in quality to a noticeable degree compared to all previous seasons. With that said, it was still funnier overall to a lot of other stuff doing the rounds at the time on TV that I'd saw. But if people want to be hyperbolic and roll out terms like "jumping the shark", then I'd probably say Curb already did that years ago with The Blacks, after Larry broke up with the crucial counterbalance to his antics, Cheryl. All those episodes they had shared together were the heyday of Curb Your Enthusiasm.

Since then, Leon obviously brings with him his own now indispensable flavour to the show and Larry's relationships, but it also adds an increasing air of caricature in how everything plays out in an episode these days, I think. But for me, it still works, because it's just darn funny (and often very cleverly constructed). But the loud farcical nature of the scenarios could be toned down a bit, for my tastes. 

Given that we're still only three into S9, I'd say it's comparable thus far with that last season. Or perhaps it has the potential to be better than it. 

I really have no reply to all that; like I said this morning I'm not really keen on analyzing the highs and lows of this show.  I just watch it and enjoy it.  It makes me laugh more than any other show being made today.

You're seeing a difference which I'm not. Tbh, I'm not really analysing anything anyway. I'm replying to posts about Curb. This has required me to explain my reasoning by going into a bit of detail. You're sounding like a bit of hypocrite. 

25 minutes ago, Jay said:

Because its just a fun comedy show?

Wait! Sorry, but wasn't it supposed to be more than that? For years now i've been hearing people about how brilliant it is. And now it's just a fun comedy show? I'm inclined to agree with Lee.

Well, its definitely one of my favorite comedies of all time, but I was saying it's the best comedy show being made today.

I mean, what comedies still airing new episodes, are even great, at all?  Out of all the shows we watch, the ones that make me laugh the most are Curb, John Oliver, Whose Line, Schitt's Creek, Portlandia, Brooklyn 99, Angie Tribeca, and Modern Family.  And Curb easily provides more laughs than the others!

Whose Line returned 3-4 years ago now with Aisha Tyler as the new host.  Still features Wayne, Colin, and Ryan in every episode like the Drew Carey years.  They still do a lot of songs which I don't usually like too much, and they now feature a "special guest" in 95% of the episodes, usually a CW actor I've never heard of and force them into a few sketches which are usually not that great, but OVERALL, its still just as hilarious as always, for sure!

I don't think its a matter of "overt analysis" as it is simply recognizing that Curb became a different kind of show after the Blacks moved in. Which is something I'm inclined to agree with Lee on.

8 minutes ago, Koray Savas said:

Winona Ryder is terrible. 

By the looks the season 2 trailer, doesn't seem like she gets any better.

7 minutes ago, Koray Savas said:

Whose Line is still on? I need to get on that.

I started Stranger Things last night. Good first episode. Winona Ryder is terrible. 

She is, but give it time and you'll adjust. By the end it'll seem normal. 

Winona Ryder kind of gets a thankless role in S1 of Stranger Things.  You only get to briefly see her being "normal" before her son is kidnapped, so then she spends the entire season completely distraught and in "I want my son back!" mode as she gets more and more frazzled, etc.  Hopefully we get to see more of her "normal" self in season 2 unless Will just gets kidnapped again!

3 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

I see it still sometimes features old favorites like Jeff Davis and Greg Proops.

Greg Proops is always so good on the show and I wished they used him more!  I think even Keegan Michael Key has been on more than he has in the revival!

2 hours ago, Stefancos said:

I must be the only one who thought Winona was excellent in the role.

She does exactly what is demanded of the character. 

She's not a good enough actress to do exactly what a character demands her to do.

I don't have one fond memory of Stranger Things. 

Holy crap!  HBO's been putting up deleted scenes from each episode of Curb on youtube! 

There's 6 so far, 2 for each episode!

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLO79iP69FaZNMxs3TcAqMEozjKhNmFbIo

Curb is great. I fascinated by the way it's all more or less improvised.

Also, Whose Line is my all time favourite TV show, although I prefer the UK version!

29 minutes ago, Alex said:

Yes definitely. I love them both, I always felt that the US version was slightly too overproduced.

Slightly?  It definitely is!

Mindhunter Season 1, Episode 2

I enjoyed that much more. The first interview with serial killer Ed Kemper gave the show a needed vitality that makes an engaging watch. Will probably continue this.

Yes, KK, Ed Kemper is great!

On 10/15/2017 at 3:34 PM, Jay said:

Mindhunter 1x02 Episode 2

A cool new character is introduced this week in the form of Ed Kemper, a serial killer in jail that Holden starts to interview to gain insight into why he killed so many women, hoping it will help him understand the motivations of other murderers.   The actor does a really great job with this!  You have to wonder when he's going to start recording the interviews since he has trouble keeping up with the writing and the whole main title is set around setting up interview microphones.  Our main heroes getting their basement office to do their work on the side of their main FBI job reminded me of Mulder down in the basement

7 hours ago, Alex said:

Curb is great. I fascinated by the way it's all more or less improvised.

Also, Whose Line is my all time favourite TV show, although I prefer the UK version!

Curb isn't improvised! That's just the genius of Larry David at work.

10 hours ago, Jay said:

Whose Line returned 3-4 years ago now with Aisha Tyler as the new host.  Still features Wayne, Colin, and Ryan in every episode like the Drew Carey years.  They still do a lot of songs which I don't usually like too much, and they now feature a "special guest" in 95% of the episodes, usually a CW actor I've never heard of and force them into a few sketches which are usually not that great, but OVERALL, its still just as hilarious as always, for sure!

I knew it returned, and I watched the first few episodes, but I never knew that it kept going. I thought it was a one-time event series or something. Aisha Tyler is a terrible host, which is why I never finished the "first" season. She's wonderful off script as her natural self, though.

10 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

Generally or in this specifically?

This specifically, but now thinking, I don't know of any role of her's that's memorable. Mr. Deeds is the only other film I recall her being in.

Young Norman on Bates Motel is more realistic and relatable than the movie version. Norma in many ways is a perfect depiction of a woman. Out for her own interests and causing insanity and death all around her.

It actually got pretty good by the fourth season, when the showrunners learned that the creepy Norman/Norma (his mother) dynamic is what really carried the whole thing. Until then, the show had some nice Twin Peaks vibes every now and then, but was often burdened by useless, generic subplots.