What is the last Television series you watched?

Jay

I'm watching Dark on Netflix... It's a german Netflix original and it's really good! I only have one episode left to watch.

It's about time travel, makes me think a little bit of Stranger Things, but more serious and dark (lol).

Any one else watched it? :)

Mr. Robot Season 3

Excellent season, all 3 are about on par with each other, except that the directing has gotten better and better with every episode.  The story they are telling on this show is clever and nuanced, and the way they are integrating what's happening in the real world now into this show set in 2015 is pretty good.  Can't wait for Season 4, glad its been confirmed already.

Two more Orvilles, including the one with Rob Lowe as the alien scientist guest aboard the ship whom unfortunately also happens to be "in heat" and holy crap that was very funny! Probably the best episode so far (certainly according to my better half), the little plots these writers concoct are great fun and most importantly, are genuinely engaging and clever, it's really surprising.

The second episode was the one where the chief of security(?) takes a knock to her confidence after a small disaster strikes the ship in the opening scenes and she later ends up in a house of horrors mission to find her lost mojo again. The installment well intended as "the scary one", and it was admirably effective at it. They just get the tone so right in this show, the producers must be absolutely chuffed with how it all turned out. Btw, this girl is hot in this episode from the moment she dons her best Ripley pose ;)

I honestly can't see a way where this show would fail to be a big TV cult. It's easily my most pleasant find of the year.

11 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Especially in the action bits, you could see those brothers were no Spielberg or Carpenter.

It's also disappointingly ineffective during the "scary" parts.

3 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

But you need those 80's Jan de Bont lense flares!

You can actually achieve those using a streak filter. Not the real thing and not quite as dramatic as those awesome Die Hard flares, but it's kinda cool.

2 hours ago, Denise Bryson said:

Nice look to this show too. Really cinematic.

I wonder if you will notice how fast it becomes worse. It's like the first episode was directed by Spielberg and the others were not.

Im no longer impressed by the 70 + year old SS.

On 12/18/2017 at 6:59 PM, Denise Bryson said:

Is it anything like Twin Peaks?

Much more entertaining than that bullshit.

1 hour ago, JoeinAR said:

Much more entertaining than that bullshit.

Nice to know another Twin Peaks fan!

About Stranger Things, the bit at the end of the second episode with Winona getting creepy phone calls was spooky... until she sees some CGI "they live in the walls" crap jump out at her.

I have never seen the allure of Lynch. I will give it to you he shows some weird imagery.

Black Mirror with Don Draper, I mean John Hamm. A "Christmas special". I'd somehow managed to miss this older installment even though I'd long believed I had been comprehensively up to date with this modern day British betterment of The Twilight Zone. Well now I definitely am at least.

Three intimate stories of near-ish future personal catastrophe intertwine in a 'techno domestic' mystery so carefully constructed and played that I was left guessing right up until the end. After a few months worth of weak trials and hopeful letdowns, it's these sorts of excellently creative puzzle thrillers that restore the faith. Absorbed while mildly under the influence tonight, this 'subconscious imprisonment' story required a fair degree of "just go with it" thinking in order to get along with its ideas, but never once did the twists and follow-ons take the piss and not once did I feel like I was being asked to accept the odd spot of pseudo intellectual indulgence in order to appreciate what it was about. This was ambitious but on the level. I'll always appreciate that (even moreso when I'm happily zoned out to it).

So yeah, one of those last things you see before turning in occurrences, which make you go to bed feeling all chuffed that you found it (because you could have so easily missed it).

giphy.gif

Stranger Things, Season 1

Something hit me while watching this. It features kids, adolescents and adults in their own plot threads, which finally converges at the end where they all team up and use their skills to accomplish something. I think that's a key reason why Harry Potter has resonated, and Stranger Things might have unwittingly replicated that winning formula.

Now, this 'Eleven' character, she's (I thought it was a boy for two whole episodes, and when they threw a dress and wig on her as a disguise, it still looked liked a boy in drag to me) like an amalgam of existing characters like Carrie, the vampire girl from Let Me In, E.T., and probably a bunch of others I can't think of. It's reflective of everthing else on this show that it's a thinly veiled pastiche of 80s cinematic tropes from the heyday of Amblin adventure flicks. I'm not criticising it for this, just observing.

I'm not sure if any of you are aware, but I happened to binge on Twin Peaks recently, and I could recognise some of the plot points and atmosphere that made that show what it was - small town populated with quirky characters, disappearance of a young town citizen and turning up "dead" at a river shore, local police led by good-hearted and open-minded chief/sheriff, some stereotypically teen soap melodrama, and last-but-not-least... an interdimensional portal where one character dreams of it as a completely black space (a literal Black Lodge?!).

It's all there! Just rearranged and presented without the Lynch surrealism, which this show might have needed here or there.

I'll watch Season 2 soon.

Yes Quint, that episode of Black Mirror is aces!  I've told you repeatedly to watch it, glad you finally did!

Can't wait for Season 4 this Friday!

On 12/24/2017 at 8:17 AM, Denise Bryson said:

Watching the first episode of Stranger Things. Interesting aspect ratio...

Back in 2013 Fincher shot the pilot of House of Cards in 2:1 for Netflix, and Netflix has continued to use it for most of the shows they produce themselves - The Crown, Stranger Things, Marco Polo, A Series of Unfortunate Events and Ozark all use it.  Colin Trevorrow likes it too, he used it for Jurassic World and Book of Henry, and Hulu uses it for Handmaid's Tale and Amazon uses it for Transparent too.

Apparently its common for things shot with those RED cameras from what Google tells me