What is the last Television series you watched?

Jay

11 minutes ago, Quintus said:

I've only watched the first 3 episodes of this year's Black Mirror and I've found merit in all of them apart from the third one, which just wasn't very good. That storyline (the psychopath) was just taking the piss a bit, it was OTT and unconvincingly done. Episode 4 was very good though, especially with the grin inducing surprise right at the end. You'll never see it coming!

Yea, that third episode too self-indulgent. It was "classic" Black Mirror, to a fault. And you could see each turn miles ahead. Bad episode indeed.

The one after was really charming. And the one after that (Metalhead) is great too! Those two are the best of this season I believe.

Second one had a good concept (helicopter parenting), but didn't use it very well.

I think you'll enjoy the fifth episode Alex.

On ‎2018‎-‎02‎-‎07 at 8:43 PM, KK said:

landscape-1515494756-1389396-516119-zoom

The End of the F***ing World

On a friend's recommendation, I checked out this small Netflix British dark comedy. And it's a proper gem. It's basically a mix of Thelma and Louise and True Romance with two angsty teenagers. It's charming, funny and moving, and owes a lot to its fantastic leads (the boy, who I remember seeing from the hacker episode in season 3 of Black Mirror, is especially great). If anything, the biting wit and momentum of the first couple of episodes gets sort of lost by the end though. But still, ight episodes, just 20 min each, and the whole thing just flies by you. Highly recommend it for anyone looking for some light Netflix fare.

I stopped it after 5 seconds of the second episode.

They are ugly and it's boring.

Episode 5 of Black Mirror, the one everyone seems to say is the best of the season. It's ruthlessly economical, I'll give you that. The tension is relentless! Nightmare fuel for Stephen Hawking, this one is a taut little shaky cam thriller set in the aftermath of the AI apocalypse, but these little robotic terrors share far more in common with an old Tom Selleck sci-fi movie than anything skeletal from James Cameron's own take on the same subject. The mechanical killers of each fiction do share one thing in common though: relentless brutality.

The black and white photography was an effective TV friendly workaround for the sudden flashes of extreme gore upon the demise of these few motley survivors, and I'm certain it was also a design choice for the sake of CG realism of the murderous bots. It worked well. 

Good episode then, but not my own best of the season.  

The final episode of the penultimate season of Mad Men was sooooo perfectly written and played. There had been a bit of a slump in proceedings in the last few installments, but this last one very quickly reminded me why it's in the highest tier US TV has to offer. I did not see Don's Hershey Bar confession coming, it was a stunning development and it felt like this show's defining character arc moment and a punctuated beginning of the end as we move into the final stretch of season 7. The coda with Don and his kids standing outside of a place he used to know was art. 

On 9-2-2018 at 8:02 PM, KK said:

Second one had a good concept (helicopter parenting), but didn't use it very well.

I think you'll enjoy the fifth episode Alex.

I love the unstoppable threat (Duel, The Terminator, No Country For Old Men) but this one didn't do it for me. The dog was really well done, though.

Screenshot_20180217-230846.png

I started Gotham season 4. Off to a good start. Everyone's favorite flamboyant dapper gangland kingpin is back. And so is Ivy. Woof! This was one of the least insane episodes yet in a show that's been off the rails for some time.

Screenshot_20180217-231930.png

Finished watching HBO's Rome. Overall I really liked it. Well acted and interesting characters and the interesting reconstructions of everyday Roman life. I loved how they showed the system of belief, morality and customs. Not sure exactly how accurate they may be but it was still my favourite part of it all, followed by quite well-rounded characters. I just the wish the narrative wasn't as choppy. It all feels very rushed, omitting certain important historical events and constantly jumping forward in time and changing context, mostly at the expense of character development. Yes, I do know it was planned as a five-season saga that was cancelled while writing season 2. In quite an amazing feat, they managed to compress seasons 3 and 4 essentially into 4-5 episodes. It mostly works and results in a story that feels fairly self-contained and complete but it also left me wanting bit more. Other thing that bothered me slightly was how conveniently plotted it all was sometimes. Titus and Vorenus become entangled in so many important historical events that it becomes quite unbelievable as the series progresses. Obviously, it doesn't look as expensive and lavish now as it did back in the day but it still comes recommended. Good stuff.

Karol

10 hours ago, crocodile said:

Titus and Vorenus become entangled in so many important historical events that it becomes quite unbelievable as the series progresses.

They are the C3PO and R2D2 of the show, a show that got slightly weaker after the death of Julius Caesar, not only because they compressed seasons 3 & 4 into 5 episodes, but because I missed the presence of Ciaran Hinds (who played Caesar). 

My favorite bits (moments that made the most impression on me) are Servilia condemning Atia at her doorstep all day and all night long. And the most poignant moment of the whole series is Cicero's last moments in his garden.

About leaving you wanting more, I felt the same, and so I watched I, Claudius after I finished Rome. It doesn't look as ravishing as Rome but ultimately it's the superior show.

fyc-handmaids-tale-1180x520.jpg

The show's premise is difficult to believe but all in all it's watchable.  I wouldn't be surprised if Spielberg is a fan. The show is lucky to have Joseph Fiennes. 6,2/10

joseph_fiennes_as_39_commander_waterford

Yes, black bars!

On 04/02/2018 at 12:51 AM, nightscape94 said:

Probably try to run through Altered Carbon on Sunday.  I'm curious about it.

Loved it, and I even don't talk about the male nudity! :)

I just started Ozark on Netflix.

The ABC of money laundering LOL!

I love series like this, where the humor comes from dark and not comedic situations, it remembers me a little bit Breaking Bad, although this series has a lot more rhythm than Breaking Bad and it's not as gloomy.

Résultats de recherche d'images pour « ozark netflix »

2 hours ago, Bespin said:

I just started Ozark on Netflix.

The ABC of money laundering LOL!

I love series like this, where the humor comes from dark and not comedic situations, it remembers me a little bit Breaking Bad, although this series has a lot more rhythm than Breaking Bad and it's not as gloomy.

Résultats de recherche d'images pour « ozark netflix »

I liked it. Bateman is really good in this. Waiting for Season 2 now.

I only watched like the first three "episodes" for Stargate Origins. I think there's 6 so far...not sure.  This series is complete garbage and goes against everything from the original movie and the established TV series.  

You see Connor Tinneer and it's cool to see a big name attached to a "show" like this but it looks like it's a low budget thing.  It's also a web series and only 10 minutes per "episode". 

The Stargate itself looks ugly and too new.  It doesn't look nearly as good as it did for the original movie and SG-1.

Count me out of this series.

Lol there was just a commercial during the Oscars for the final season of House of Cards, says its coming this fall

Started The Deuce. Right off the bat, I'm liking this. Great characters, excellent art direction. David Simon is on fire. His New York is gorgeous in its ugliness. A perfect antidote to Jessica Jones season 2.

Karol - who think it's a real shame the box sets of Treme are so expensive, I want to watch the whole thing.