What is the last Television series you watched?

Jay

Once you get past seasons 1 and 2 its pretty gold from 3-7.  Some people don't like 8-9 as much (Larry David left as a writer after the 7 finale but he stayed on to voice Stennbreiner), but I think it was still very good all the way to the end

It's quite cute when George complains about having to wait for a guy to get off the payphone so that he can make an urgent call. Or when he devises a plan to swap the tapes in a date's answering machine so that she can't listen to his embarrassing messages. 1991 feels like an alternate universe.

Jerry, if you haven't noticed yet, your personal opinions are different from the majority of the world about 95% of the time

1 minute ago, Disco Stu said:

I like Seinfeld a lot, but I did get a little tired of the Cult of Seinfeld, if you know what I mean.

Not that there’s anything wrong with that.

I have never ragged on them.  Simply said I think 3-7 are better.  I enjoy all 9 seasons a lot, personally.

I think it’s the funniest, most rewatchable half hour comedy ever. Followed by Curb. 

But comedy’s such a subjective thing. I can’t stand most sit coms but get that other people find them hilarious. 

Is it canned?  I can't keep up with which shows use 100% canned laughs, which ones are 100% actual studio audience, and which ones are actual studio audience but "augmented" with canned laughs.

I started at Season 4 when I first watched Seinfeld (excluding the occasional glimpse of those late night BBC2 broadcasts in the 90s). It was very good from there onwards, though I can't remember exactly how far I got (it would have been at least to the end of Season 7, and definitely not as far as Season 9).

A friend lent me the boxed set of Seasons 1-3 afterwards and I struggled to find anything of interest in them by comparison with the later seasons; I didn't bother to watch them all. I skipped to an episode called (I think) The Pen which was particularly recommended, but even it did nothing for me. There was a real jump in quality going into the fourth season.

Seinfeld was filmed in front of a live studio audience, but there are obviously sections pre-recorded that would be shown on monitors to the audience (montages, etc)

That's similar to what they did with Alan Partridge, they just showed video to a room full of people and recorded the laughing. That's not a sitcom though.

The laughter during Seinfeld's standup scenes really grates on me though, as it's so obviously forced and OTT. People are in absolute hysterics over his mildly amusing observations, it's just completely fake.

Edit - WTF just happened? This was a reply to Jason's now deleted post about audience laughter on Seinfeld. But it's also deleted my reply to Disco Stu in the process.

5 minutes ago, Nick1066 said:

At some point they mostly stop with the stand up bits at the beginning.

During seasons 4-5 they started doing it less and less, and eventually stop doing it entirely in either 6 or 7.  It's definitely entirely absent from all of 8 and 9 until the Finale episode brought it back one last time.

I see nothing missing or out of sequence

Wikipedia says the Parking Garage episode is the first episode shot without a live audience, logical since they shot the entire episode in a real parking garage. There isn't too much real location shooting on the show though

How come you deleted it though? I knew shenanigans were afoot, because it kept merging my Alan Partridge followup reply with my own previous post, I just couldn't work out what was going wrong at the time. I tried 3 times to make it an actual individual post reply to yours but it kept merging it, making it 3 repeated paragraphs of the same thing instead. It was only when I actually refreshed the page to try resolving the problem that way that I eventually noticed your post had been removed!

But now you have restored it I see...

Plus you have now moved it back into correct sequence I see...

Interesting.

Don't worry, I know exactly what was happening. LOL

But tbh, I can't be arsed with mods messing with/abusing admin tools when I'm actually trying to have an active conversation with them. It's confusing and actually a waste of my time. So please don't do that again.

My missus has been into Orange is the New Black lately (it's totally watchable btw) and holy shit imagine my surprise when I suddenly realised a big rough arsed prisoner with spiky red hair and a bruised eye, who was strangely familiar to me but I didn't know why, was fuckin' Janeway from Voyager!

MV5BNDZiMTc2MTAtOGVhNC00OGFjLTk0NTEtYzg3

Mmmh. Apart from the odd funny/inspired moment here and there, this satiric rendering of the Rupert Murdoch clan - the estimable Brian Cox here - doesn't really find its footing. Four silbings caballing for the media empire of the ailing patriarch has rich potential, but the result only throws in sharp relief that HBO's competitors now mostly deliver the goods, while the by-now grey eminence mostly settles for great production values. Too bad.

To unwind after hard days working on the new house, my wife and I have been going through the full series of Miranda.  It's a pretty funny show, but the formulaic nature and catchphrases get wearing after a while.

4 hours ago, Quintus said:

My missus has been into Orange is the New Black lately (it's totally watchable btw) and holy shit imagine my surprise when I suddenly realised a big rough arsed prisoner with spiky red hair and a bruised eye, who was strangely familiar to me but I didn't know why, was fuckin' Janeway from Voyager!

It's fucking funny!