What is the last Television series you watched?

Jay

What does that even mean though? Edge of Darkness was better than plenty of movies from its own year and others either side of it, plus it was TV aimed at a mature audience.

But that shit was rare. It was the exception not the rule. (Probably the reason why EOD is so well remembered actually)

Tons of great British shows from back then.  I tend to favor the comedies admittedly.

Blackadder, Fawlty Towers, and not just those "cool to like" shows.  I'll cop to being a fan of stuff like As Time Goes By.  I'd rather watch Judi Dench in a romantic comedy sitcom than most of the garbage Netflix shows any day!

BTW, the best original show on Netflix is One Day at a Time.

4 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

All in the Family was a genuinely great show and it definitely wasn't juvenile.  Like a short comedic play put on once a week.  MASH too.

Just a remake though. Of Till Death Do Us Part.

Obviously I like a lot of prestige TV, I do call Deadwood the greatest TV show of all time.  But just because pre-2000s TV didn't have the trappings of being "cinematic" didn't mean it was all terrible or not important.

I think for most people, if they didn't watch a pre-golden age show growing up, or in its time, it's hard to appreciate or get into it today. TV has changed so much, the story telling so much more complex, and the production designs so high, that if you don't have a sentimental attachment to a very old show, you're generally not going to develop one. That's no to say there wasn't always a lot of quality TV, but I think TV loses its accessibility over time the way film doesn't.

For example, I've heard forever how great Buffy is (and I know it's been incredibly influential), but when I gave it a go I found it to be stupid. I'm sure had I watched it in its time I'd feel different. I think the same goes for a lot of these shows.

I think there are some shows that are notably excepted from this, but for the most part I think movies age better than TV.

3 minutes ago, Nick1066 said:

I think for most people, if they didn't watch a pre-golden age show growing up, or in its time, it's hard to appreciate or get into it today. TV has changed so much, the story telling so much more complex, and the production designs so high, that if you don't have a sentimental attachment to an very old show, you're generally not going to develop one. That's no to say there wasn't always a lot of quality TV, but I think TV loses its accessibility over time they way film doesn't.

For example, I've heard forever how great Buffy is (and I know it's been incredibly influential), but when I gave it a go I found it to be stupid. I'm sure had I watched it in it's time I'd feel different. I think the same goes for a lot of these shows.

This guy's wise.

1 hour ago, Disco Stu said:

just because pre-2000s TV didn't have the trappings of being "cinematic" didn't mean it was all terrible or not important.

And I'm not saying that. I'm just stating the plain accepted fact that TV, this "golden age" as it is referred to, is by and large, vastly superior today to what came before it - but this isn't to not acknowledge that there was plenty of stuff of note back then, although it was, rather distinctively, mainly sitcoms.

As frickin' usual though the jealously sensitive 90s era Trekkies and Buffy fans are wading in with their poorly judged comparisons. As if fuckin' Buffy the Vampire Slayer or The X-Files or Different Strokes were ever in the same universe as Breaking Bad or Mad Men or The Sopranos. It's just a different tier up as far as this "snob" is concerned.

1 minute ago, Quintus said:

But as frickin' usual the jealously sensitive 90s era Trekkies and Buffy fans are wading in with their poorly judged comparisons. As if fuckin' Buffy the Vampire Slayer or The X-Files or Different Strokes were ever in the same universe as Breaking Bad or Mad Men or The Sopranos. It's just a different tier up as far as this "snob" is concerned.

There you go, the stock Quintus conclusion.

14 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

I do think the best sitcoms of yore age better than most of the dramas, for me at least. 

"Yore" age or "your" age. ;)

13 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Friends Deep Space Nine is timeless!

Fixed!

I didn't mind Friends at all, but I much prefer something like Curb or Arrested Development over it. I think I'm probably going to wind up liking Seinfeld more than some of the other sitcoms I've seen too. Friends was a bit hunky dory glossy for my tastes.

It's possible to just watch and enjoy Friends, Seinfeld, Curb, and Arrested and not spend all kinds of time and effort ranking them against each other

We’ve finished our re-watch of the first three seasons of Arrested Development (excellent!) and are now watching the recut Season 4. Not sure it’s technically or dramatically an improvement on the original Season 4, but it does recapture the Arrested Development feel a little better by cutting between characters.

1 hour ago, Jay said:

It's possible to just watch and enjoy Friends, Seinfeld, Curb, and Arrested and not spend all kinds of time and effort ranking them against each other

"... wonder where all the brothers at. "

1 hour ago, Jay said:

It's highly possible, but semi ranking is also another way of saying "I disagree that it's as good or bad as you think it is." None of this takes me any time to do, personally. 

Yeah. And since comedy is highly subjective, I don't think there's anything wrong with saying you find one thing funnier than the other.  Just as there's nothing wrong with thinking the other guys sense of humour is whacked.

10 hours ago, Cherry Pie That'll Kill Ya said:

Stargate SG-1 sure felt cinematic to me.

Eh ... I give up. You are beyond salvation.

10 hours ago, Nick1066 said:

I think for most people, if they didn't watch a pre-golden age show growing up, or in its time, it's hard to appreciate or get into it today. TV has changed so much, the story telling so much more complex, and the production designs so high, that if you don't have a sentimental attachment to an very old show, you're generally not going to develop one. That's no to say there wasn't always a lot of quality TV, but I think TV loses its accessibility over time they way film doesn't.

Well said, Nick. I think nostalgia plays a big part here. I loved shows like Columbo, but when I see those shows today, I realize it's was nothing more than a McDonald's meal, not to be compared with the richness and depth of ambitious series like Six Feet Under, Mad Men or The Wire. However, my exception would be I, Claudius, a show I only have seen after I've watched HBO's Rome. Yes, the backgrounds are completely outdated (I think they were already outdated at the time) but the writing and acting are so exceptional they transcend any form of packaging. In fact, it's so good, I've already seen it twice and the second time was every bit as good as the first. 

5 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

However, my exception would be I, Claudius, a show I only have seen after I've watched HBO's Rome. Yes, the backgrounds are completely outdated (I think they were already outdated at the time) but the writing and acting are so exceptional they transcend any form of packaging. In fact, it's so good, I've already seen it twice and the second time was every bit as good as the first. 

I hear you...I more or less feel the same way about M*A*S*H, which to me almost had a cinemtatic feel, and writing that's second to none.

Then again, I grew up watching M*A*S*H reruns. I can't say how I'd feel about it had i discovered it today.