What is the last Television series you watched?

Jay

Seinfeld - actually sitcoms in general - aren't really laugh out loud experiences for me.  The best all have moments that can bring on the tears if it hits just right, but it's never a given from viewing to viewing.  What often gets me in Seinfeld are some subtle touches of the strange or absurd.  Kramer's double take at the old woman in the Cuban embassy comes to mind.  Bizarre and hilarious.  But other than those hidden moments that sometimes tickle one just right, I think these shows are more of an internal but consistent amusement than knee slapping riots. 

I've just finished munching my way ("munching"? Devouring, more like !) the original BBC HOUSE OF CARDS trilogy.

The words "born to play" are bandied around far too much, these days, but I really can't imagine anyone playing FU better, and with more acerbic relish, than Ian Richardson. This is insidious, British - nay, English - cynicism, at its very best. 

What he does to The King, is masterful, and is akin to what a lot of people have wanted to do to him, for a very long time.

Yes, it's melodramatic, at times, and the ending borders on soap opera, but all three series are so brilliantly put together, that one can forgive the occasional lapse of judgement, especially when script, and performances are so good. 

It's essential British telly.

2 minutes ago, Richard said:

I've just finished munching my way ("munching"? Devouring, more like !) the original BBC HOUSE OF CARDS trilogy.

The words "born to play" are bandied around far too much, these days, but I really can't imagine anyone playing FU better, and with more acerbic relish, than Ian Richardson. This is insidious, British - nay, English - cynicism, at its very best. 

What he does to The King, is masterful, and is akin to what a lot of people have wanted to do to him, for a very long time.

Yes, it's melodramatic, at times, and the ending borders on soap opera, but all three series are so brilliantly put together, that one can forgive the occasional lapse of judgement, especially when script, and performances are so good. 

It's essential British telly.

The first series remains the best IMO. By the time the third one rocked up, it felt a little...tired?

7 minutes ago, TGP said:

Seinfeld - actually sitcoms in general - aren't really laugh out loud experiences for me.  The best all have moments that can bring on the tears if it hits just right, but it's never a given from viewing to viewing.  What often gets me in Seinfeld are some subtle touches of the strange or absurd.  Kramer's double take at the old woman in the Cuban embassy comes to mind.  Bizarre and hilarious.  But other than those hidden moments that sometimes tickle one just right, I think these shows are more of an internal but consistent amusement than knee slapping riots. 

Yeah I've never understood the demand for comedies to pass the uncontrollable belly laugh test, or else they're tossed aside. It's very rare for me to achieve that kind of laughter anyway.

50 minutes ago, TGP said:

Kramer is a lifesaver sometimes in this show. Little wonder he always gets the biggest cheer whenever he appears.

Sitcoms I would frequently giggle to:

Cheers

Frasier

Friends

Big Bang

Will and Grace

The Royle Family

I can't help laughing out loud when I find something at least moderately funny. Even a rubbishy sitcom will usually prompt me to laugh a couple of times per episode. It was quite annoying back in the day when my sister would insist upon watching Friends - a steaming pile of shite which I always despised - and, despite my objections, I would be unable to hold in my laughter at several points per episode, whilst my sister (supposedly a fan of the show) would sit silent and stone-faced through it all. Made my protestations seem insincere (which they weren't!).

Yes. All I need is someone who 'bounces off' me laughing the same way I do them and its basically a recipe for very big laughs all round. Can't beat the feelin' really. Laughing out loud, I mean really laughing, is good for the soul.

4 hours ago, Quintus said:

I've been reading online about which season of Seinfeld is considered to be the very best and S4 comes up time and time again. The one which starts in LA, and included some pretty funny episodes before they got back to Jerry's apartment again. Trouble is, we're currently about halfway through the season now, and it's just not funny. We barely ever laugh if at all! Episode after episode it's just a resounding "meh" from myself and my viewing partner. So I'm thinking we'll probably call it a day after this season, which will also allow me to cancel my Amazon streaming account. Disappointed!

Mate, I don't know what to say to you.  As I'm sure you realise, you're in the decided minority on this one.

Not that there's anything wrong with that, different people find different things funny.  I'm just...surprised....that you don't find it funny at all.  I've seen some of those episodes half a dozen times and I still literally LOL. Just thinking about Kramer as Dr. Van Nostrand at this moment is making me laugh.

Don't know. Maybe because you fell in love with the very outrageous antics on Curb you don't find the slightly less outrageous situations in Seinfeld to be as funny. 

8 minutes ago, Quintus said:

Delboy falling through the open bar? ;)

Can you think of a sight-gag, that's funnier, Lee? The chandelier, perhaps?

Maybe something from SOME MOTHERS DO 'AVE 'EM?

5 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Afuckingstonishing!

All his own work. No stuntmen.

Top that, Larry, you weiner.

Based on Quint's reaction to seasons 1-4 of Seinfeld, it sounds like he'd actually like seasons 8 and 9 the best, when they veer into true absurd territory 

1 hour ago, Nick1066 said:

Mate, I don't know what to say to you.  As I'm sure you realise, you're in the decided minority on this one.

Not that there's anything wrong with that, different people find different things funny.  I'm just...surprised....that you don't find it funny at all.  I've seen some of those episodes half a dozen times and I still literally LOL. Just thinking about Kramer as Dr. Van Nostrand at this moment is making me laugh.

Don't know. Maybe because you fell in love with the very outrageous antics on Curb you don't find the slightly less outrageous situations in Seinfeld to be as funny. 

I mean, it isn't like I consider Seinfeld as being bad or anything like that. I'm just not as casually amused by it as I'd like to have been and expected to be.

1 hour ago, Stefancos said:

Is season 4 the one where they make a TV show about nothing? Thats when I stopped watching. It didnt interest me.

Yes! It's simply a boring storyline, at least so far anyway.

56 minutes ago, Richard said:

Can you think of a sight-gag, that's funnier, Lee? The chandelier, perhaps?

Maybe something from SOME MOTHERS DO 'AVE 'EM?

My kids and I must have watched the roller skates scene about twenty times, they absolutely love it. Hearing one's five year old randomly quote "I ain't got no change!" is a great feeling.

1 hour ago, Jay said:

Based on Quint's reaction to seasons 1-4 of Seinfeld, it sounds like he'd actually like seasons 8 and 9 the best, when they veer into true absurd territory 

I was thinking the same. And maybe even Season 7 as well, it's one of the best.

@Quintus, while there are recurring characters who have some history, the show isn't really serialised at all, with the possible exception of the "show within a show" in Season 4.  You wouldn't lose much skipping ahead and seeing how you like the latter seasons.

It's a great Simpsons episode that I forgotten existed till you just reminded me actually. 

It's sad what happened with that show really. Groening should have dignified The Simpsons with a finale episode many years ago.

23 hours ago, Quintus said:

I mean, it isn't like I consider Seinfeld as being bad or anything like that. I'm just not as casually amused by it as I'd like to have been and expected to be.

Yes! It's simply a boring storyline, at least so far anyway.

I'm surprised you feel this way, as Curb Your Enthusiasm is often the exact same jokes and set-ups as originated in Seinfeld. I've looked up the list of episodes by season to try and pinpoint where you are. 

In Season 4, you have one of the best episodes in "The Contest," as well as "The Junior Mint" and "The Handicap Spot." Before you quit, if you are fully intending to do so, do yourself a favor and watch "The Marine Biologist" from Season 5.

Quint won't understand The Contest. 90s TV was clever at skirting around a subject by avoiding even mentioning it by name. Whereas today's so-called "Golden Age" tele, which is all he's limited himself to, has no qualms about explicitly depicting someone casually having a wank like it's nothing.