What is the last Television series you watched?

Jay

Bake Off finale

Honestly this was the worst set of bakers in the history of the show.  They all sucked.  The showstoppers were actually embarrassing to look at.  Still nice and pleasant to watch of course.

bodyguard-netflix-series-header-700x361.

Obviousy a big hit in the UK. It's sullen and effective - at times, they smuggle in an insightful bit of characterization, brief as it may be (it's not that they lack time) - but on the whole not very stimulating, apart from the occasional jolt here and there.

4 hours ago, Stefancos said:

No Mel and Sue! No Bake-Off!

Actually I think Sandi and Noel are far superior presenters, a marked improvement.  However, Prue is certainly no replacement for Mary Berry.  Mary is far more missed than those two.  But it's still a fine show.

The only content Steef is willing to pay money for is them Star Trek boxes. That's why you'll never find him at The latest Purchase Thread and parties.

I use Netflix actually.

Death In Paradise.

British who-dun-it in the vain of Midsummer Murders etc etc.

The BBC had done a million of these and they're all sorta watchable. 

This is bad though. Formulaic beyond belief in a genre that is formulaic by definition.

And poorly acted, distractingly so! Stars one of the actors from Father Ted, the one who isn't die. And he turns out to be singularity unconvincing in his line delivery.

Very popular show apparently.

13 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

I use Netflix actually.

Of course, it's more convenient and that way the Star Trek boxes remain in pristine condition. 

22 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

I use Netflix actually.

Death In Paradise.

British who-dun-it in the vain of Midsummer Murders etc etc.

The BBC had done a million of these and they're all sorta watchable. 

This is bad though. Formulaic beyond belief in a genre that is formulaic by definition.

And poorly acted, distractingly so! Stars one of the actors from Father Ted, the one who isn't die. And he turns out to be singularity unconvincing in his line delivery.

Very popular show apparently.

It's shite. To me, that brand of TV drama is the definition of unwatchable. Even though I know it's completely meant as light entertainment.

Just now, Stefancos said:

I only own one. And a couple of the movies on DVD.

Another incorrect assumption by you, i guess.

But you do have a Star Trek box. You never felt you needed the other shows? 

2 minutes ago, Quintus said:

It's shite. To me, that brand of TV drama is the definition of unwatchable. Even though I know it's completely meant as light entertainment.

I like the seasons with Ben Miller in a guilty pleasure kind of way.  But it got really shitty, real fast after he left.

Death In Paradise, but one with Ben Miller.

Its better, simply because Miller is a decent actor playing an actual character. Still par-for-the-course BBC murder mystery, but not distractingly shit.

I don't actually watch this, btw. My mum has BBC First on a lot. (Preempting @Quintus's tutting)

8 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Are you an Anglophile by any chance, Stu?

Yes, but within limits.  Like I hate British soaps and reality shows as much as or more than American ones.  

But yeah I pay more attention to British pop culture than most Americans.

Well, I'm certainly more open to something like Coronation or Eastenders than I am submental drivel like that Essex show.

Just saying my anglophilia doesn't extend to liking the crap stuff.

The Only Way is Essex and Made in Chelsea et al (pond life entertainment) aren't really soaps to be fair. They're a new hybrid of bullshit they call scripted reality TV. Literally impossible to watch.

10 minutes ago, Quintus said:

The Only Way is Essex and Made in Chelsea et al (pond life entertainment) aren't really soaps to be fair. They're a new hybrid of bullshit they call scripted reality TV. Literally impossible to watch.

The cestpool of TV!

56 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

I do respect the British soaps (like Corrie and EE) for sticking to being about working class people and drama.  American soaps are ridiculous.

To me, the amount of misery that the British soaps pile onto their characters is equally ridiculous. 

1 minute ago, Stefancos said:

American soaps are about rich, famous and influential people. Brit soaps seem to do the reverse.

Yep.  They're always about rich people who spend a lot of time making cocktails in their mansions and looking worried.

If British soaps about the working class didn't feature an endless stream of overly dramatic sensational storylines, they'd be even more boring and uneventful than the lives of those who watch them. They're all completely daft and ridiculous, but people just seem to suck it all up. Or at least they used to be - I imagine the younger generation will eventually move away from that old outdated model (I think the traditional terrestrial TV soap opera is on borrowed time, in this Netflix streaming era).

For super duper nerdy folks here’s a recent sci-fi edition of Pointless Celebrities.

It includes Peter Davison (5th Doctor), Jo Grant from Doctor Who, Lavender Brown from Harry Potter, Holly from Red Dwarf, Frodo’s scale double, among others!

The Haunting of Hill House's one family character storyline per episode structure has grown rather boring, and after getting through the four children I'm assuming there's still the parents left to cover. But for what is foremost advertised as a spooky ghost story, actual creepy scares are very thin on the ground at four episodes in and only the first episode has really delivered on that front, but even that was still rather tame and seemed more suggestive and scene setting than anything else (there's definite value in that approach so early on). Right now though it's little more than another broken family drama and as such I'm only really mildly invested in the individual stories on the per episode basis they chose to go with. I'm more looking forward to the last few episodes, where presumably it'll all come together and the undoubtedly intriguing mysteries laid out thus far all begin to come to a head in what is bound to be a barnstorming ghost house climax; some mundane reveals notwithstanding (I'm still not entirely convinced the supernatural aspect isn't a narrative trick).