What is the last Television series you watched?

Jay

3 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

I was providing ironic hyperbole to Richard's post actually.

Shameless was fine 

Ah, my bad. Sorry, sometimes it's hard to spot piss taking in text form (which is why it's great).

Shameless was just a show I watched here and there early on in its run, in another life.

4 hours ago, Quintus said:

Tried a couple of episodes of Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee.

Nah.

Just watch the ones for the stars you’re interested in. They’re only about 15 minutes each. 

.... and he knows how to tell a story. Sadly, he hardly gets a job. I bet he can do a lot more than just playing Kramer.

I watched the first episode (Jim Carrey) and the Larry David one. Both were just eh. Jim Carrey was actually incredibly boring. At least they were only 15 mins apiece though.

But anyway, I decided to use the time to watch Rick and Morty episodes again. That's basically my nothing else to do pastime at the moment.

The Crown Season 2

Never knew I would enjoy it as I did. The bad news is that it's over. The good news is that season 3 is coming! 

TheCrown_S3_301_001_R20180713-9788-1kvo8

No longer with Claire Foy but with Olivia Colman as the Queen.

image001-44a0fd9.png

And Tobias Menzies as  Prince Philip.

TheCrown_302_00054_Rv2-bb4b1e7.jpg

And Helena Bonham Carter as Princess Margaret.

Whenever I see Tobias Menzies attached to something, I expect him to be following Ciaran Hinds...

2 hours ago, KK said:

Whenever I see Tobias Menzies attached to something, I expect him to be following Ciaran Hinds...

Carian Hinds needs to be in this show too!

cq5dam.web.1200.675.jpeg

I watched the first episode of Russell T Davies’ new show Years and Years. Stellar cast and with all the usual kitchen-sink trappings of RTD writing world-ending events. It’s Black Mirror meets Children of Earth. He really knows how to build a sense of dread and doom, but this time it’s World War 3 caused by Trump starting a nuclear war with China in the last days of his second presidential term (bonkers I know).

Plus it has the extremely sexy Russell Tovey as the de facto lead character and a very hot gay sex scene. And Emma Thompson channelling Katie Hopkins/Piers Wagner as a shock commentator entering politics. I’m on board.

10 hours ago, Docteur Qui said:

it’s World War 3 caused by Trump starting a nuclear war with China in the last days of his second presidential term (bonkers I know).

Bonkers ... or visionary?

Discuss!

I caught the first few episodes of The Twilight Zone (2029).

It’s good. I know people are racking down on it, because it’s not scary enough, or doesn’t give you enough existential anxiety as Black Mirror, or whatever.

But the show is good (or good enough), they all have that twist at the end - it’s the kind of classic story telling that requires that the writers and creators actually have to think before committing script to film. (If a TV-show can pull it of, why can’t Star Wars? I’m looking at you, sequel trilogy!)

The only thing I find lacking is the title music. It’s not scary in the way that it should be! The notes are there, the theme is playing and all the pieces are in place... but it doesn’t have that punch. It doesn’t terrify me. It lacks some layer, or has added new ones, that prevents it from sending chills up my spine.

Now, how’d they mess that up?

Even though the creators have starred that they wouldn’t/haven’t deviate(d) from the classic theme at all - that’s clearly not true.

Marcon Beltrami said in an interview:

The four notes that embody the theme served as the duo’s “jumping-off point” for how it could segue into something a bit more modern — and soon enough, a Hammond B3 organ, harmonic guitars, baritone guitars, electric bass, drums, woodwinds, and bongos were smoothly incorporated into what the composers describe as an “eerie vocal and an electric bass pattern.”

The music in the show’s good, it’s ok. It serves its purpose, so no complaints there if anyone is wondering.

But did anyone else have the same feeling regarding the title theme?

Wow!  So last night, I finally remembered to check out Jeopardy!, to see the guy that's been winning so much lately.  And after the first commercial break, I said to my wife "Wouldn't it be funny if we finally watch, and its the episode where he loses?

AND THEN HE DID!!  The woman who won made it look easy, too!

I had to look up after if this was like, the first one filmed after his run began airing, but no, it was recorded back in March and his run started airing in April.  She followed his strat of working from the bottom over instead of of top down and just schooled him really.  Was interesting to watch

@Disco Stu what did you think?

Gave up and stopped watching Castle Rock (Stephen King and JJ Abrams' revisit to Shawshank) midway through the third episode. It's incredibly slow and boring.

6 hours ago, Quintus said:

Gave up and stopped watching Castle Rock (Stephen King and JJ Abrams' revisit to Shawshank) midway through the third episode. It's incredibly slow and boring.

Thank you. Reviews were great and i waited and waited and waited...

Deadwood: The Movie. It wasn't bad but to me it wants to provide too much closure. I prefer the 'open' ending of the last episode. It felt like it still could go anywhere. Also, projects like these always feel a bit like a reunion.

deadwood-movie-review.jpg

It depends on the content. Stark open-ended ambiguity can sometimes work perfectly (The Sopranos), whereas in other shows a premature and unceremonious end can feel like cock blocking X10 (Firefly).

Just now, Stefancos said:

As I understand it Deadwood was cancelled rather unexpectedly.

That's what I thought too, but I was quite surprised how well the last scene worked as a show's ending. 

Discovery season 2 episodes 3 and 4 and two of the 4 short treks.

48 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

That's what I thought too, but I was quite surprised how well the last scene worked as a show's ending. 

Deadwood just got a feature length movie on HBO. Is this meant to be a series resolution or a prequel? I've never watched a minute of the show. 

6 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

And?

Well watch an episode or two tonight.  Or we may give it a rest and try the Twilight Zone instead.

1 hour ago, xWxzek said:

Deadwood just got a feature length movie on HBO. Is this meant to be a series resolution or a prequel? I've never watched a minute of the show. 

The movie takes place 10 years later.

Just finished Good Omens! David Tennant and Michael Sheen are simply sublime and capture the characters in the book with miraculous accuracy, as does the rest of the cast and David Arnold's score is fitting too! It's a shame the series is so short, though I guess it follows the book - which reminds me - I must get back to finishing the book!

Question: Is the whole Chernobyl series now available on demand in HBO?  Because they have this free trial period....

It's good. The opening and closing episodes are brilliant. It gets too procedural in between though, but a solid watch.