What is the last Television series you watched?

Jay

Chernobyl Episode 4: A New Isotope

Necessary killing of irradiated animals very hard stomach. Watching comrades sacrificing their lives by shoveling graphite rocks for preservation of glorious Soviet Union make feel patriotic for great heroes.

It features the kids in the hall guy dave foley so worse. He ruins everything. 

15 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

The Last Czars?

Scratch that! It's one of those docu dramas where suddenly blokes in a studio interrupt the series with their history lessons. Yuck! 

Movies and TV series should speak for themselves. I don't need interruptions where experts explain what is going on. It's made for people (mostly Americans and Australians) who never watch documentaries.

Wait, so the Czars show I was looking forward to isn't a complete extravagant dramatisation but something more like Saving Private Ryan but with its docu bookends being interspersed throughout the whole thing??

Bah! Gutted.

8 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

Movies and TV series should speak for themselves. I don't need interruptions where experts explain what is going on. It's made for people (mostly Americans and Australians) who never watch documentaries.

But it basically is a documentary.

2 minutes ago, Quintus said:

Wait, so the Czars show I was looking forward to isn't a complete extravagant dramatisation but something more like Saving Private Ryan but with its docu bookends being interspersed throughout the whole thing??

Bah! Gutted.

You mean Band Of Brothers, right?

4 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

But it basically is a documentary.

No ... 95% not true. It's a hybrid between costume drama and a talking heads docu. 

I guess Alex isn't all that big on History channel and National Geographic channel docudramas? I find them entertaining for their silly kitsch factor and they're nice to just have on while you're flicking through a magazine or reading your phone.

Was Band Of Brothers constantly interrupted in between scenes with talking heads explaining things? I don't think so. The Last Szars is like Roman Empire.

2 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Of well made they can be educational and informative.

You are very American that way. If I truly want to learn about a subject, I prefer to watch fully-fledged docus.  Same for movies or TV shows. 

19 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

You mean Band Of Brothers, right?

Sorry yes that's what I meant. I remember the opening and close of each episode had a grovelingly reverential veteran introspective inserted by the producers. It was always the most boring part.

On 7/11/2019 at 7:38 AM, Quintus said:

Sorry yes that's what I meant. I remember the opening and close of each episode had a grovelingly reverential veteran introspective inserted by the producers. It was always the most boring part.

Spielberg (and Tom Hanks) driving their point home a bit too strongly, yes. Not unlike the end of SPR.

9 minutes ago, Koray Savas said:

Four episodes into Dead To Me. Anyone else watch this one?

Marcy watched it.  I caught 5 minutes while she was watching it one day and it looked boring and sad

maxresdefault.jpg

Only 3 episodes?! The third one (with Miley Cyrus) was ridiculous! Don't understand why Jay thinks it's like the second coming.

Huh?  I never said anything positive about season 5.  I liked the older seasons but it's certainly well past its prime now

Season 5 was remarkably bad. It's lost most of its bite and humour, barely hinging on to half-assed concepts. Season 3 was probably its best.

I'm quite far behind everyone else with Black Mirror (think I'm still on S3), but unlike you guys I don't think of it in the same regard as those consistently high quality serialised shows we're otherwise accustomed to. I just see BM as the same episodic format as stuff like Star Trek, The Twilight Zone and Columbo! Shows which have good and bad instalments, some seasons better than others. BM has had weaker episodes throughout its run, all the way back to the debut series ("The Waldo Moment" was crap). It's fine, they don't all have to be brilliant for me to give 'em a watch. The better storylines stand out enough to keep me interested.

Was looking for something light and short and so took a punt on a show called Barry, which I think only has 25 min episodes. A disillusioned hitman takes up acting classes and meets a girl there.

Off to a promising start, I'm three episodes in and it's pretty funny. Definitely feels like it's going to be a good one.

Columbo: Mind Over Mayhem (the episode which featured an ode to Steven Spielberg)

1VN3y-1526058369-11867-list_items-columb

Steve Spelberg: "I might as well tell you right now, Lieutenant, I'm a boy genius!"

On 7/14/2019 at 3:12 AM, Quintus said:

I'm quite far behind everyone else with Black Mirror (think I'm still on S3), but unlike you guys I don't think of it in the same regard as those consistently high quality serialised shows we're otherwise accustomed to. I just see BM as the same episodic format as stuff like Star Trek, The Twilight Zone and Columbo! Shows which have good and bad instalments, some seasons better than others. BM has had weaker episodes throughout its run, all the way back to the debut series ("The Waldo Moment" was crap). It's fine, they don't all have to be brilliant for me to give 'em a watch. The better storylines stand out enough to keep me interested.

You are not that far behind because all the shows together don't even make a REAL season.

Marathon season lengths are a US thing anyway. Those shows where you get 20 plus episodes in a year, that's just not something British produced TV does. It's normal for series here to comprise of 6 episodes or less. That's often why they're referred to as mini series.

Binged the first season of Barry. This was very different, not what I had expected at all. Throw your 'regular TV' conventions out of the window, basically. Think more 'irregular' and you'll be on a right track.

ADZ2IWn.jpg

Fancy something unpredictable compared to the usual same old same old you have on Netflix rotation? Give Barry a whirl. He'll surprise you.

Last night I watched the episode "Plan B" from The Act. The show's been fairly biopicky for the first few eps, but this ep really felt like a genuine psychological thriller, and one of the best ones I've seen in a while. So good, it can only go downhill from here...

On 7/15/2019 at 2:22 PM, Jay said:

Barry's great!  Though the second season sadly isn't as good as the first

I thought it was better. Hader and Berg found the perfect balance of dark drama and comedy. 

Interesting!  I liked both seasons for sure so were splitting hairs, but I kinda felt like there was an extra something the first season had that was lacking in the second

The long fight with the young girl was amazing though!

I wanted to give Picnic At Hanging Rock a go but stopped watching after one and a half episodes. What's the point of watching something it everything leaves you cold?

MV5BMjQ4NzE2Mjg5MF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwOTY0

I struggle to find anything to watch on Prime and Netflix. 

The quality on Netflix is very poor. Not much better on prime.