What is the last Television series you watched?

Jay

Too bad the rating were low, they actually used some good ideas to speed everything up, there was no fluff

Well, at least what I saw, which wasn't the whole show

s592

Watched the first episode  with the kid. Might be an okay show but there's something wrong with the image quality, something many Prime shows seem to suffer from. It's so dark that often you can't see what's going on. Some other shows that I have checked (on Prime) had problems too, albeit different ones. Of the ones I've checked, the only show that that looks good is The Boys. IQ can't hold a candle to Netflix.

2066508.jpg

Finished all of Designated Survivor. Ha! The third season still feels network TV, only it has swearing and a surprisingly graphic gay sex scene - it just feels so odd from what it was initially. Unexpectedly, Season 3 was much more entertaining than the snoozy Season 2, and I could have done without the Maggie Q espionage subplot - it just felt unnecessary. It's nice to see how much President Kiefer Sutherland changes from the beginning to the very end - some real development there as we witness him slowly descend from well-meaning 1950s wholesome family man who's in over his head to a real politician who's tragically aware of the corrupting effects that the office has had on him and seems to be developing feelings for his tranny sister-in-law. Still, all this story could have been compressed to just one season.

Started watching Succession, and its framework of characters are almost identical to The Righteous Gemstones! I suppose Gemstones copied this show. We'll see how it goes.

It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia 14x01 The Gang Gets Romantic

Some funny setups but not overall super great, fairly forgettable.  The meat cubes was funny though

Modern Family 11x01 New Kids on the Block

This show is so far past its prime it is not even funny.  And why is Dylan added to the main cast but they didn't add him and the twins to the opening?  Thankfully for everyone involved this is the last season

The Good Place 4x01 A Girl from Arizona (Part 1)

Hard to say much about this because it's quite clear the writers conceived of a full hour (double-episode) season opener, which NBC let them do with Season 2 and season 3, but for whatever reason split it up over two weeks this time.  So not much happened and it felt like half an episode, which it basically is.  I don't understand why Michael seemed to suddenly be over his panic attack.  Everyone seemed kind of out of character.  I dunno.  I hope Schur has a good end-game in mind because the show is so far removed from its amazing season 1 twist I dunno what they are even heading towards any more.

Saturday Night Live 45x01 Woody Harrelson / Billie Eilish

A stage-hand being shown on screen by mistake and Aidy Bryant not being able to hold it together after was the highlight, which is sad.  Larry David was great as Bernie Sanders as always.  Baldwin continues to barely prepare for him Trump appearances.  I liked the Downton Abbey gag

My wife and I have one episode left in Season 3 of The Good Place.

My niece and I watched the “Mirror, Mirror” Star Trek TOS episode on the Roddenberry Vault blu-ray set with just the isolated track. Great score but also WOW, it really makes you appreciate the cinematography and acting.

Rewatching The Sopranos again for the first time in a decade, and I'm not sure I'm going to get into it this time. The whole gangster thing... it just feels like a teenager's fantasy to me these days.

1 minute ago, Quintus said:

Rewatching The Sopranos again for the first time in a decade, and I'm not sure I'm going to get into it this time. The whole gangster thing... it just feels like a teenager's fantasy to me these days.

It's the reason I never got into it in the first place.

We started rewatching that earlier this year, or maybe it was late last year. I thought it held up pretty well. We made it through season 1, season 2, maybe 1 or 2 episodes of season 3 and then... Just kinda stopped.

I forget exactly what happened, I think we went in vacation and then a show we were we were watching came back, then another... And everytime we finished one show, we never made it a precedent to return to Sopranos. 

Maybe this winter. 

It very much feels like a 2000s series to me, especially since it debuted in 1999 but ran for years after it. It doesn't look like 90s television, and the fashions worn by the characters are a far cry from those worn in Twin Peaks et al.

the-pol.jpg?ssl=1

After much fanfare, this mild (read: dickless) Netflix satire on current US politics transferred into the sphere of a californian high school disappoints. It's a pleasant, superficial soap that just doesn't understand the cruel, cutting wit of, i. e. Veep and tries to get by with hitting obvious targets in the broadest manner possible. The thing is saved by good actors, so it gets a 'watchable' from me. It's autumn, after all...

I liked the premise of the series... but then I realized that it was created by Ryan Murphy, and I gave up.

I really don't like this guy or his series - couldn't get past 5 episodes of Glee, and I somehow watched the first 2 seasons of American Horror Story, which were entertaining, but never seemed to reach its full potential. Like much of Murphy's series, it was more of a histrionic drama, but with some horror elements.

3 hours ago, publicist said:

the-pol.jpg?ssl=1

After much fanfare, this mild (read: dickless) Netflix satire on current US politics transferred into the sphere of a californian high school disappoints. It's a pleasant, superficial soap that just doesn't understand the cruel, cutting wit of, i. e. Veep and tries to get by with hitting obvious targets in the broadest manner possible. The thing is saved by good actors, so it gets a 'watchable' from me. It's autumn, after all...

With the things that are going on right now, we don't need a TV show on current US politics. 

The Terror: Infamy

Very disappointing. Could have been more interesting if it focused solely on its 'historical drama'. I don't think I've ever saw a movie or TV series about this subject (what happened to the Japanese Americans after Pearl Harbor). The horror itself was quite lame. BTW, it took me 5 or 6 episodes to recognize C. Thomas Howell.

032485790c3afeff48362dad5117b815.jpg

How we all know him.

g62qkavbdo8sogmjsa9d.jpg

How he appears in The Terror: Infamy

Always Sunny In Philadephia 14x02 Thunder Gun 4: Maximum Cool

Much more LOL moments this weekend compared to last, felt like an old-school episode for the most part

Saturday Night Live 45x02 Phoebe Waller-Bridge / Taylor Swift

The opening political sketch would have been way funnier if they actually rehearsed it properly and Matthew Broderick learned his lines instead of staring at the cue cards.  PWB was great in the monologue then they never really wrote to her strengths in any of the sketches.  She still did so well I'd expect her to be back when any new project she has is coming out

On 10/3/2019 at 2:43 AM, Jay said:

The Good Place 4x01 A Girl from Arizona" (Part 1)

Hard to say much about this because it's quite clear the writers conceived of a full hour (double-episode) season opener, which NBC let them do with Season 2 and season 3, but for whatever reason split it up over two weeks this time.  So not much happened and it felt like half an episode, which it basically is.  I don't understand why Michael seemed to suddenly be over his panic attack.  Everyone seemed kind of out of character.  I dunno.  I hope Schur has a good end-game in mind because the show is so far removed from its amazing season 1 twist I dunno what they are even heading towards any more.

Episode 2 wasn't much better either, a few good character moments, but it felt surprisingly like a middle-of-the-road couple of episodes for a season opener. I too, hope they have this season planned out well, because it felt like it was building momentum until this last test.

I started watching Carnival Row. I like some of the worldbuilding, even if The Burgue feels like two or three sets (which are lavishly designed), but so far it's plodding along. I guess they just have to advance the plot this way in order for the viewer to catch up and take in the world and characters. Cara Delevingne has a great Irish accent, it doesn't sound unnatural, and both her and Orlando Bloom deliver some good performances. 

The Good Place 4x02 A Girl From Arizona (Part 2)

Now that's more like it.  This finally felt like a real season opener, and makes the actual season premiere better in retrospect, as these two combined clearly are meant to be viewed together.  Finally Michael's "breakdown" is actually explained and the general plot and stakes for the season are presented.

With only 12 episodes to go before the whole show is over, though, I hope they have some really clever stuff up their sleeves, because these two episodes so far have been nothing special and nothing game-changing, just kind of continuing from where last season ended.

Mr. Robot 4x01 401 Unauthorized

Oh dip, that opening event! :(  The whole Jake Busey sequence was pretty great too.  Then we do the usual season opening thing of checking in with every character to setup where they are to start the season.  Poor Dom :(  Actually everyone's in a pretty shitty place right now!  That ending fakeout was pretty good.

We took a ride on the streaming TV carousels tonight, there was nothing appealing on Netflix and so we gave Prime a whirl instead. Landed on Fleabag. Not instinctively my kind of show, but I thought I'd make the effort.

Finished the entire first season in one sitting, six episodes. 

23 hours ago, Quintus said:

We took a ride on the streaming TV carousels tonight, there was nothing appealing on Netflix and so we gave Prime a whirl instead. Landed on Fleabag. Not instinctively my kind of show, but I thought I'd make the effort.

Finished the entire first season in one sitting, six episodes. 

It's a brilliant little gem, that one.

12 hours ago, KK said:

It's a brilliant little gem, that one.

It's impossible not to love her isn't it, the main character I mean. When in the first five seconds of the first episode she did the whole fourth wall breaking thing by wryly speaking to the camera, my immediate reaction was no no not for me, eject eject bail bail! But around five minutes later, and as a result of the crispy dialogue and frankly bewitching charm of 'Fleabag' herself, I was onboard for the whole thing.

A lovely little surprise, and I love TV surprises.

Not going to spoil it obviously, but something unexpected regarding the fourth-wall breaks happens in the second series. 

Fleabag is pretty glorious ... when you feel sorry for an essentially self-destructive character, that's got to be good writing hasn't it? 

1 hour ago, Sweeping Strings said:

Not going to spoil it obviously, but something unexpected regarding the fourth-wall breaks happens in the second series. 

Whenever people say anything like this to me it's literally a spoiler, thanks.