What is the last Television series you watched?

Jay

Just now, Jay said:

Yea something must not be right with Alex's setup or his country has different situation going on with stuff, because on my setup in the USA, the picture quality of Prime is better than Netflix, especially the 4K HDR content

If it's my TV then why is there no problem with The Boys? Carnival Row was too dark. The Man In The High Castle a bit dim. The Romanoffs completely out of sync. Vikings completely out of sync. Many complain about Amazon Prime's lip-sync problems on the internet.

The Good Place 4x04 Tinker, Tailor, Demon, Spy

Well the person arriving didn't mix things up as much as I'd hoped, everything still feels like they are just killing time until they can get into whatever their endgame is.  At least there was more funny moments than usual this week, like the crazy pony that ate the butterfly and Jason being Jason

Hmm, I dunno, depends on what criteria you are using I suppose.  He's probably the funniest of the main 4, imo

Mr. Robot 4x03 403 Forbidden

That was fantastic, everything's really coming together now.  Whiterose's backstory is I suppose a bit cliched but still executed well.  Wellick at the end was super stupid but I suppose him saying that sets up fascinating stakes for next week

On 10/21/2019 at 7:06 PM, Alexcremers said:

If it's my TV then why is there no problem with The Boys? Carnival Row was too dark. The Man In The High Castle a bit dim. The Romanoffs completely out of sync. Vikings completely out of sync. Many complain about Amazon Prime's lip-sync problems on the internet.

As I've said, it was also lacking in quality when I tried it, on multiple devices. Very strong compression and banding, and while I didn't have lip sync issues, the subtitles of several shows were off by seconds. Plus their library sucks - some older titles are only available in DVD resolution, some actually look like VHS transfers, and the availability or non-availability of original language versions is very inconsistent.

22 hours ago, Jay said:

Janet's the best character by far

Agreed. Loved the episode where they were all stuck in her dimensional void. D’Arcy Carden nailed all of the character personalities and inflections quite well. 

Yup the far and away clear highlight of season 3.  That episode, particularly her performance in it, was incredible.  Too bad that's the only really exciting thing they've done since the first season.

The Good Place - Seasons 2 and 3

It was good! Neither of the following seasons had the brilliance of the first (one of the best comedy things on TV this decade), but they still had their moments.

The main problem with S2 is that the first half of the season had a lot of fillers, and the plot developed very slowly. Then, on the second half, it becomes accelerated, things happen very fast. It does not have a rhythm as good of the first, that knew how to balance plot with more trivial stuff. That said, it had some of my favorite episodes on the entire series, like the second episode (third on its original airing - Netflix bundled the two part season premiere on a single episode) on which

Spoiler

Michael keeps trying to make his experiment work, and hilariously failing over 800 times,

and the Trolley Problem episode, they were hysterically funny for me.

Spoiler

The episode that takes part on the Bad Place museum, and Maya Rudolph's Judge were all great too. 

S3 started mostly boring, with few good jokes and kind of a lame plot (not even Trevor, one of my favorite things on S1, could save it). But it got a little better on the second half. The script remained sharp and funny as always, but the main problem is

Spoiler

as most of this season takes place on the Earth, the script loses much of the surreal, absurd humour of the first two seasons.

However, I liked the final episodes on the season, from that one with Chuck from BCS onwards.

The best one of course was

Spoiler

the one on which the four humans are trapped on Janet's void, and they all become Janets. D'Arcy Corden was already great on the part, and she was woefully overlooked on Emmy for this episode, she performs all the parts (the Janet we know, Neutral Janet, Tahani-Janet, Jason-Janet, Eleanor-Janet and Chidi-Janet) wonderfully.

Also, I watched the S4 premiere too, and it wasn't that bad, just an OK episode.

But they do have a lot to wrap for a final season. 

On 10/22/2019 at 7:26 PM, Marian Schedenig said:

As I've said, it was also lacking in quality when I tried it, on multiple devices. Very strong compression and banding, and while I didn't have lip sync issues, the subtitles of several shows were off by seconds. Plus their library sucks - some older titles are only available in DVD resolution, some actually look like VHS transfers, and the availability or non-availability of original language versions is very inconsistent.

Haven't checked their movies yet. However, Netflix movies that are regular HD and not 4K don't always look good either (still better than VHS though). We're currently watching the second season of The Man In The High Castle and while the resolution is very good, the image lacks luminosity, as if  they only used the available natural light.  

Also, how many episodes is S4 going to have? Wikipedia (which is not exactly reliable) says it'll be 14, one more than the previous seasons. But I've seen people saying that it'll be 8 or 9 episodes, and on Crapflix there's only 9 episodes listed.

I really hope they don't go for the "shorter final season" route. GOT did it, with woeful results.

I did. But this interview was published in June, and then I read a review of the season, published yesterday, that implied that this was going to be a shorter season, so I thought they had changed that since this June. But I guess the reviewer was referring to the mid-season finale, this pause for holidays that all seasons had, before resuming it this January.

PENNY DREADFUL

S1, E1.

Ok, so I'm a little late to the party, but...

For those who know this show, I won't bore you with the details. For those of you who are not familiar, I will not bore myself boring you with the details, except to day that this is set in Victorian London, and it features a mix of fictional, and literary characters, among sundry other vampires, ghouls, and other creatures of the night. Timothy Dalton is on a quest to find his lost daughter (or something), enlisting the help of Victor Frankenstein, some American pretty-boy, and a possibly-dead Eva Green. And that's it, really. It lives up to its name - a tacky, gaudy piece of not-so-grand guignol, that, nevertheless, managed to sustain my interest, for 45 minutes, despite Ms. Green demonstrating, once again, that she couldn't act her way out of a wet paper bag, that had a tear at one end, and a 10-ft. neon sign pointing to it, saying <---- THIS WAY OUT!

It did nothing for me, neither did it do anything to me. I might watch E2, if I feel like it.

On 10/26/2019 at 5:14 PM, Naïve Old Fart said:

PENNY DREADFUL

S1, E1.

S1 and the first half of S2 is more of a horror mystery show. Then, it becomes more of a gothic melodrama, with a lot of people crying, using drugs, depressed, tragedy after tragedy, etc.

It disappointed me a little, specially Eva Green's arc along the series.

Spoiler

She starts the show as this ambiguous and mysterious witch with a lot of knowledge about the supernatural world, and by the beginning of S3 she is stuck on a depression because she couldn't be with that guy from Pearl Harbor.

Abel Korzeniowski's score for the show, however, is excellent.

The Good Place 4x05 Employee of the Bearimy

Well, I feel like things are finally picking up a bit now.  It's nice to have the real Janet back and Ted Danson was on fire this week playing both normal Michael and Vicky Michael.  The Tahani/Chidi story in the main neighborhood was way less interesting

It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia 14x05 The Gang Texts

Well that was one of the funniest episodes they've done in a while, not so much for the jokes and the intricately detailed plot.  Pretty clever

Saturday Night Live 45x04 Chance the Rapper / Chance the Rapper

This dude is pretty good, some funny skits this week

On 10/26/2019 at 9:14 PM, Naïve Old Fart said:

PENNY DREADFUL

S1, E1.

Ok, so I'm a little late to the party, but...

For those who know this show, I won't bore you with the details. For those of you who are not familiar, I will not bore myself boring you with the details, except to day that this is set in Victorian London, and it features a mix of fictional, and literary characters, among sundry other vampires, ghouls, and other creatures of the night. Timothy Dalton is on a quest to find his lost daughter (or something), enlisting the help of Victor Frankenstein, some American pretty-boy, and a possibly-dead Eva Green. And that's it, really. It lives up to its name - a tacky, gaudy piece of not-so-grand guignol, that, nevertheless, managed to sustain my interest, for 45 minutes, despite Ms. Green demonstrating, once again, that she couldn't act her way out of a wet paper bag, that had a tear at one end, and a 10-ft. neon sign pointing to it, saying <---- THIS WAY OUT!

It did nothing for me, neither did it do anything to me. I might watch E2, if I feel like it.

Apparently Billie Piper's Belfast accent in this is something to behold, and not in a good way.  

Mr Robot 4x04 404 Not Found

I want Dom to have a happy ending but I don't see a path for her to get one.  Darlene's story this week with Jamm from P&R was really good and thought provoking.  The main Elliot/Tyrell story was.... I feel like I have to hold judgement until I see if the next episode sheds a different light on it, but for now I'd say it's pretty disappointing.  Dialogue-free episode next week!

3 hours ago, Stefancos said:

I think she was fine as a prozzie dying of consumption.

Apparently she also says she's 'Bridget from the Shankill'. Shankill was and is a very Protestant/Loyalist part of the city, it doesn't tend to be home to too many 'Bridgets'. But that's what happens when writers do only partial research.    

Silicon Valley 6x01 Artificial Lack of Intelligence

Not good, the show is wayyyyyy past its prime.  And somehow, every actor looked WAY older than ever before.  What happened?

The best part was the Gilfoyle / Dinesh AI.  Everything else was meh

The Good Place 4x06 A Chip Driver Mystery

Well I thought that was pretty good overall.  I think we're finally seeing some foreward momentum with the story.  And D'arcy Carden absolutely killed it as Bad Janet.  Might be my second favorite character after regular Janet

Modern Family 11x05 The Last Halloween

Zzzzzz

Mr Robot 4x05 405 Method Not Allowed

Wow.  That was one of the best episodes of the show, even cooler than the single-take episode from last season.  Equal parts intense, funny, exciting, sad.  This show is firing on all cylinders in its final season!

It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia 14x06 The Janitor Always Mops Twice

That was legit great.  Much better than the Birdman episode from a few years ago.  Really nicely done, clever writing, funny moments.  Loved the black and white with red cinematography, too

Finished the second and final season of Fleabag. What an absolute darling of a programme, one my favourites from the Beeb in years. You'd be hard pressed to find a better, more charming lead than Phoebe Waller-Bridge, and her writing skill and wit here was only ever going to compliment her deeply sympathetic and affable performance. She invites you into her character's story and makes you feel welcome, as if you're towing along with her, for the duration. It was a pleasure, and I'm sad it has ended already. Big things surely await this major new talent.

Left floundering with nowt to watch after that, we noticed Steve Carrell's loveable mug appear once again in the Prime streaming carousel. I'd always resisted (read: rejected) the US take on The Office, but I was also well aware that it had a following, and a bit of a huge one at that. I keep seeing 'Dunder Muffin' references on my other online haunts, and I admit my curiosity had began to pique a bit. So we hit play - on the second season.

Holy shit this is hilarious. Could it even be... better?

The Office US is great, especially seasons 2-7.  The first season they didn't really know what they were doing and leaned too hard into making Carrell be a knock-off David Brent, but by season 2 they had figured out their own path and starting bringing all the other Dunder Mifflin employees more into the forefront.  Toward's the end of Carrell's run and after he left there is just a swinging door of new main and side characters, many of them great character actors in their own right, but it neve really reaches the season 2-7 heights, until the finale episode which was really good again.

Nah I'd watch em.  Plenty of good stuff in there

Somewhere towards the end the guy who plays Jared on Silcon Valley shows up and he's great as always, James Spader is in there for a while, Kathy Bates for a while, Kimmy Schmidt, Clark Duke, plenty of good actors swing through

I was reading on Reddit, some dude was saying that S9 was very hard work and that basically the show was just bereft of laughs by that point. That sounds like something I've experienced before with shows, but I'll see.

We can't bring ourselves to watch beyond the first episode of the final The Good Place for similar reasons.

Saturday Night Live 45x05 Kristen Stewart / Coldplay

Kristen Stewart is surprisingly good at this, she killed it.

Silicon Valley 6x02 Blood Money

The opening bit with the ads inside the game was pretty funny.  The HR lady's duel with Gilfoyle was pretty good too.  The main plot of Jared quitting and finding another programmer to back was odd and felt contrived just to set up some future plot.  Not sure what to make of this new Chilean guy.

Modern Family 11x06 A Game of Chicken

WTF was that shit.  Gloria is suddenly super religious out of nowhere 11 seasons in?  Luke is suddenly a smart app inventor?  Cam would seriously pursue out of state jobs without ever consulting with Mitch?  Lame from top to bottom.

It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia 14x07 The Gang Solves Global Warming

That was pretty funny all around, good episode for Dee and Charlie

The Good Place 4x07 Help Is Other People

I am thankful this plot that took up half this season is seemingly finally over, it was never as strong as any of the other major plotlines they've done.  And it was great to actually have KHB have actual screen time and things to do this week as well, she was feeling like a glorified extra before now this season.  I have no idea where they are going after this cliffhanger ending and that is a good thing.  Here's hoping they can end the final season strong because it's not off to a good start.

Silicon Valley 6x03 Hooli Smokes!

Well that was a rollercoaster.  A typical episode though, really, that condensed what would be a season of plot in another show into one episode here.  I guess with Richard owning Hooli now, the final 4 episodes ever will be interesting... maybe?

Mr. Robot 4x06 406 Not Acceptable

They do seem to have organically gotten here, but having all 4 plots this week revolve around a female character being kidnapped, tied up, drugged, and/or held at gunpoint seemed to be a bit too much after a while.  But the tension was pretty palpable throughout as every time one storyline cut to another you kept wondering what was going on in the other ones as the minutes ticked by.  Darlene and Dom's was the most interesting for certain, and the appearance of Janice at the end was juicy.  Elliot and Olivia was the most sad.  Everything good in his life he always has to destroy.  Vera and Krista was the worst.  Seemed like what was stretched out over the whole episode could have been done in 5 minutes.  I am glad Whiterose finally decided to show Elliot what her device does, but now that Vera has him who knows how many episodes it will be until that happens, if it ever does.  How has Angela's apartment not been foreclosed?

The War of the Worlds '19

Well, nice to see the setting being novel-accurate, but holy shit, this was the most boring piece of dog poo poo I've ever watched. I was painfully checking the minutes every minute to see when this stupid thing would end. It was so goddamned long and slow! Absolute poop!

Series we've watched recently that I probably won't talk about include:

Russian Doll

OITNB Final Season 

Lost in Space (Netflix) 

Farscape + The Peacekeeper Wars

Disenchanted 

Star Trek TOS 

Star Trek TAS (we stopped after a few episodes and will not continue) 

The Connors

South Park 

Good Omens