The cheap CD offers thread

If this has been done before, please merge.

For those who don't have these scores yet, Play currently has Saving Private Ryan and Empire of the Sun for €3.99 each. And The Russia House, too.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice thread idea. Only a few days ago I went on an ebay hunt for anything interesting.

Unfortunately I too own both of those CDs, although there are also some contemporary ones going cheap too. Plus one of the Spielberg/Williams collaboration compilations is at £5.

And I just narrowed down film soundtracks at < £5 at HMV and got 22 pages, and a first glance reveals several pretty scarce things already, I'd say definitely worth a look if you're in the UK (edit - Home Alone £5, Hook... £3... wow)

Plus one of the Spielberg/Williams collaboration compilations is at £5.

Which one? The Spielberg/Williams Collaboration is at €25.78, and I can't seem to find Williams on Williams at all.

http://www.play.com/Music/CD/4-/2201413/Wi...on/Product.html

Their wrong spelling of Spielberg doesn't help.

I also noticed Once Upon a Time in the West on HMV, but it was the shortest release... and then discovered that Intrada's had the full-whack 27 track version I've been looking for, and I think I'm gonna have to order it... this is turning into one of my most expensive months of all time.

Play has free shipping.

http://www.play.com/Music/CD/4-/2201413/Wi...on/Product.html

Their wrong spelling of Spielberg doesn't help.

Whoa. I'd found that, I didn't realise PlayTrade made such a difference for UK and non-UK customers (though it's not too surprising). The euro price on that one is 25.78. I have it anyway, it's the other one I still need.

Well I just got an e-mail from them saying that Hook for £3 is 'out of stock', but that they're doing everything they can to get it to me as fast as they can (their words)

I'm not holding my breath.

Well I just got an e-mail from them saying that Hook for £3 is 'out of stock', but that they're doing everything they can to get it to me as fast as they can (their words)

I'm not holding my breath.

lol I'm not suprised at that price!

No.

Yes!

You and your euros ROTFLMAO

There's no need for an American thread, because this isn't a European one per se.

I don't know where you lot got that idea from.

Any cheap find can be placed in here.

Probably got the idea because most of the prices are from across the Atlantic. ROTFLMAO

Seriously though if you find a good deal here in the US post it for god's sake.

Euros, pounds, dollars, what does it matter? Why would you want a separate US thread - so you miss out on good non-US offers and we miss out on good US offers? This is the internet era, as long as you stay clear of customs limits, it doesn't matter where you order. ROTFLMAO

Euros, pounds, dollars, what does it matter? Why would you want a separate US thread - so you miss out on good non-US offers and we miss out on good US offers? This is the internet era, as long as you stay clear of customs limits, it doesn't matter where you order. :lol:

Indeed.

I was going to link the great deal Amazon had on the Omen trilogy score set but it appears it's back up to around $30.00.

• 4 months later...

Well, I have wondered about that, but since I can't find actually find a concrete reason that it should be illegal (just the ridiculously awesome prices), I don't have a problem with it.

Besides, I'd like to see the RIAA try to prosecute someone for illegally buying music.

There are concrete reasons. They have boolegs for sale, and Beatles music, which has never been released digitally (I'm quite a Beatles nerd and I know all the story about digitally distributing their music, missed negotiations, etc), there's no way those are legal mp3s.

Well, I have wondered about that, but since I can't find actually find a concrete reason that it should be illegal (just the ridiculously awesome prices), I don't have a problem with it.

Besides, I'd like to see the RIAA try to prosecute someone for illegally buying music.

Buying it illegally is even worse. Not only are artists not being payed for something they did, but random people are being payed for something they didn't do.

I don't think this thread is really necessary except for really rare items that are usually expensive. I mean I could post endless amounts of links to cheap CDs. Just search Amazon for whatever you're looking for.

I don't think this thread is really necessary except for really rare items that are usually expensive. I mean I could post endless amounts of links to cheap CDs. Just search Amazon for whatever you're looking for.

Do you always have a clear list in your head of what you want? I can't count the times I've bought something at Amazon, or in a store and a couple of days later thought 'Doh, I should have looked for "X" but I don't have the money etc now'. This thread can work like that, especially if some great bargains come up for something you always meant to buy but never got round to. I think it's also good to highlight works that maybe some aren't familiar with, but you think are worth recommending if cheap.

I can't count the times I've bought something at Amazon, or in a store and a couple of days later thought 'Doh, I should have looked for "X" but I don't have the money etc now'.

It's the same with brick and mortar stores. Stop after work, buy one or two things, then get five minutes away down the freeway, and ten things jump into your head that you should've bought too. D'oh.

Buying it illegally is even worse. Not only are artists not being payed for something they did, but random people are being payed for something they didn't do.

My point is that they have a hard enough time convicting someone who knowingly and deliberately downloaded illegal music. There's no way they would be able to convict someone who believes they purchased the music legitimately and has the PayPal transaction to back up their belief.

My point is that they have a hard enough time convicting someone who knowingly and deliberately downloaded illegal music. There's no way they would be able to convict someone who believes they purchased the music legitimately and has the PayPal transaction to back up their belief.

Judging by recent news they don't seem to be having problems in cases.

If I downloaded something illegal and paid for it the last thing I would want would be a paper trail. You never know what a jury is going to think.

John Grisham presents The Downloader.....

"Mark Olivarez thought he was downloading legal music from a legitimate website. Using his credit card to pay was a positive sign. Little did he know that a dark secret was brewing and the wrath of the RIAA would fall upon him. In this new thrilling novel, author John Grisham fabricates a desperate tale of a man's battle against the music industry and the secrets that lie within their attempt to crush anyone who stands in the way of downloading."

Lovely. I have a strong feeling that this will be the book that will restore John Grisham to his once-had greatness! Although...in order for it to be a New York Times #1 Bestseller, the book must follow this patented Grisham Thriller Plot Outline™ :

_____ is a law ____ (who preferably practices in the Southeastern state of ____). One day, ____ stumbles upon ____ that incriminates ____. It is not too long before ____ discovers this and sends ___ to eliminate ____ and the incriminating ___ that he (for occasional variety, use she) is holding. Inexplicably, ___ becomes a master of ___ evasion, escaping ___ every time (with a few close encounters to keep the readers intrigued). Eventually, a government agency that goes by the name of ___ discovers this, and tries to track down ___ as well, so the ___ agency can use the incriminating ___ that ___ possesses to indict ___. The ___ agency eventually finds ___ and tries to negotiate a deal with ___, one that involves a lot of money. ___ pretends to accept, and plays along with the ___ agency. A genuinely thrilling climax occurs when ___ finds ___ as well, and attempts to kill him/her. ___ escapes both ___ and the ___ agency with a lot of money and an attractive member of the opposite sex whose name is ___. They travel together to the Grand Cayman Islands (Grisham Note: This is not interchangeable!) and live happily ever after in a poorly written resolution.

THE END

Judging by recent news they don't seem to be having problems in cases.

RIAA's having no problems suing the pants off people with no concrete evidence.

We're all fucked.

I'd say my 'obtained' vs bought (digitally or CD) ratio is probably 1:3 these days. It's about a reasonable price, being free from DRM, and being the highest quality possible. And many places aren't managing those big 3.

Lovely. I have a strong feeling that this will be the book that will restore John Grisham to his once-had greatness! Although...in order for it to be a New York Times #1 Bestseller, the book must follow this patented Grisham Thriller Plot Outline™ :

_____ is a law ____ (who preferably practices in the Southeastern state of ____). One day, ____ stumbles upon ____ that incriminates ____. It is not too long before ____ discovers this and sends ___ to eliminate ____ and the incriminating ___ that he (for occasional variety, use she) is holding. Inexplicably, ___ becomes a master of ___ evasion, escaping ___ every time (with a few close encounters to keep the readers intrigued). Eventually, a government agency that goes by the name of ___ discovers this, and tries to track down ___ as well, so the ___ agency can use the incriminating ___ that ___ possesses to indict ___. The ___ agency eventually finds ___ and tries to negotiate a deal with ___, one that involves a lot of money. ___ pretends to accept, and plays along with the ___ agency. A genuinely thrilling climax occurs when ___ finds ___ as well, and attempts to kill him/her. ___ escapes both ___ and the ___ agency with a lot of money and an attractive member of the opposite sex whose name is ___. They travel together to the Grand Cayman Islands (Grisham Note: This is not interchangeable!) and live happily ever after in a poorly written resolution.

THE END

Brilliant! ;)

Okay, I did some more researching on the legality of sites such as mp3sale.ru. They use a special licensing system known as ROMS (Russian Organization for Multimedia and Digital Systems). If it were a US site, it would not be legal, but being based out of Russia, it is indeed perfectly legal. The music industry hates it, of course, but they legally can't do anything about it because it is completely legit. They actually tried a while ago to bring a suit against allofmp3.com, a similar site, but failed.

Some other sites that use the same license include the following:

http://www.gomusicnow.com/

http://www.lavamus.com/

http://www.legalsounds.com/

http://www.mp3fiesta.com/

http://www.mp3stor.com/

http://www.mp3va.com/

http://www.myzuka.ru/

http://www.soundike.com/

• 5 months later...

Yep, I figured the bidding would go crazy at the last minute.

I got mine for free. I don't know if they still do it but there was a time when they would send out the Oscar promos to the various public radio stations. I knew someone who worked there and the head of the station knew he liked soundtracks and stuck the copy in his in box and never asked for it back.