• Announcements

• Jay

Donate to JWFan, win a CD!   05/30/17

Hello!

We are significantly behind on our funds for keeping JWFan alive, and need to collect donations again.
      As an incentive, I am offering a series of free CDS to anyone who donates over a certain amount!   Donate at least $10 and you will be entered into a pool to potentially win one of the following once we hit our $250 goal:   Tyler Bates - God of War; Ascension (OST, La La Land Records) Danny Elfman - Planet of the Apes (OST, Sony) Danny Elfman - Taking Woodstock (OST, La La Land Records) Christopher Lennertz - Identity Thief (OST, La La Land Records) Christopher Lennertz - Medal of Honor: Rising Sun (OST) Michael Giacchino - Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol (OST, Varese Sarabande) Dave Holmes & Various - Ocean's 11 (OST, WB Records) Joel McNeely & Various - Hollywood '94 (Varese Sarabande) Joe Kraemer - Jack Reacher (OST, La La Land Records) John Williams - Born on the Fourth of July (OST, MCA Records)   Donate at least $20 and you will be entered into a pool to potentially win one of the following once we hit our $500 goal:   John Barry - First Love (La La Land) Jerry Goldsmith - The Challenge (La La Land) Jerry Goldsmith - In Harm's Way (2009 Intrada edition) Jerry Goldsmith - The Red Pony (Varese) Alan Silvestri - Dutch (La La Land) Shirley Walker - Willard (La La Land) John Williams - Family Plot (Varese Sarabande) or, any of the above CDs if you prefer   Donate at least $30 and you will be entered into a pool to potentially win one of the following once we hit our $750 goal:   James Horner - Gorky Park (OOP Kritzerland Edition) James Newton Howard - Outbreak (2CD, Varese Deluxe Edition) Laurence Rosenthal - Clash of the Titans (2CD, Intrada) John Williams - The Fury (2CD, La La Land) John Williams - Jane Eyre (OOP, La La Land) or, any of the above CDs if you prefer   Donate at least $50 and you will be entered into a pool to potentially win one of the following once we hit our $1,000 goal:   Jerry Fielding - The Wild Bunch (3CD, FSM) Ira Newborn - The Naked Gun trilogy (3CD, La La Land) Shirley Walker and Various - Batman: The Animated Series Volume 3 (4CD, La La Land) or, any of the above CDs if you prefer     All shipping will be paid by me to anywhere in the world!   I will pull names from a hat for each pool, and you get to pick whatever CD set you want if I pull your name!   To be eligible, leave your JWFan username in the comments area of your donation.  If you want to donate but not be in the running for a free CD, mention that in the comment.   Use this link or the link on the mainpage.       Thank you!   Jason, Ricard, and Andreas.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Trent Hoyt

Vinyl

118 posts in this topic

I'm bumping this thread to say that I just bought Dracula on vinyl and it sounds glorious!

Yes I have a vinyl rip of the Dracula LP and I sounds much better than the Varese CD.

But does it sounds better than the Master Tape?

It's a joke... of course, IT CAN'T ;)

Of course it can! Vinyl adds warmth to the recording!

Yes I know what vinyls lovers means when they talk about "warmth", in fact they speak about "distortion". ;)

Of course it can! Vinyl adds warmth to the recording!

Yes I know what vinyls lovers means when they talk about "warmth", in fact they speak about "distortion". ;)

What distortion? What saturation? You guys are talking about "tape". It's clear you're no hipsters!

For vinyl and Rosenman lovers (and for those who don't visit the LOTR subforum):

Leonard Rosenman's score for the Bakshi adaptation gets the deluxe treatment!

Fantasy Records presents the classic score to the 1978 animated feature J.R.R. Tolkien's The Lord of the Rings, from Academy Award-winning composer Leonard Rosenman (East of Eden, Rebel Without a Cause, Barry Lyndon). This highly collectable, vinyl box set will be a must-have for fans of the landmark film and audiophiles alike. Inside the box, there is a wealth of ephemera to discover: the two-disc, 180-gram vinyl LP in a reproduction of the original gatefold jacket; an alternate movie poster, featuring Gandalf, reproduced from the film s original marketing materials; a map of Middle Earth; a lobby card, reproduced from the original theatrical release; plus a sticker, a reproduced production cel, suitable for framing, as well as a 16-page illustrated booklet, featuring behind-the-scenes photos, liner notes by Tolkien Enterprises Laurie Battle, and a new Leonard Rosenman appreciation by Jon Burlingame, the nation's leading writer on the subject of music for films and television. Also in the booklet is a backstage look at the making of the film by music historian and reissue producer Bill Belmont.

Sticker for the win!

Once likes this

Don't leave the window open, or a gentle breeze will distort the sound!

Hipsters who buy this have no appreciation for gravity.

4 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Hipsters who buy this have no appreciation for gravity.

Gravity is a hipster film though!

Wouldn't you like to impress your friends by playing Gravity (of all records!) on a vertical turntable? It's not about sound. It's about how cool you are.

Don't forget to Betamax the reaction of your friends when they behold your new setup!

0a99226d0c5e82c24fae402c50c7d1ab.jpg

3 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

Wouldn't you like to impress your friends by playing Gravity (of all records!) on a vertical turntable? It's not about sound. It's about how cool you are.

I assume the arm has to be spring loaded in some way to be able to stay in the groove. Would too much pressure not damage the LP though?

Waiting for Minidisc to come back!

For those who want to take the plunge, Teac is making some nice looking turntables these days:

main.jpg

Richard likes this

Turntables.   hahaha, I'm happy with my Hifi system:

Résultats de recherche d'images pour « 8 tracks player »

On 4/20/2017 at 10:46 AM, Alexcremers said:

Don't forget to Betamax the reaction of your friends when they behold your new setup!

0a99226d0c5e82c24fae402c50c7d1ab.jpg

That's a professional Betacam equipment, not Betamax. Super-8 would be more suited for the occasion anyway...

28 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Waiting for Minidisc to come back!

Most people didn't even know that format existed during its peak.

1 hour ago, Alexcremers said:

5769e348284e3_110247b.jpg

Not his best album, but there are some rarities on this, still unreleased on CD!

21 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

For those who want to take the plunge, Teac is making some nice looking turntables these days:

main.jpg

Ooh, that's pretty...but what does it sound like...?

Apparently they sound good and come in a variety of colors.

2c.jpg?6044a22295

Afbeeldingsresultaat voor teac tn-300 colours

300tnn3-500x500.jpg

But I do have a soft spot for the red wood one:

CyBcV7AXUAEbYhS.jpg

-  Audio Technica AT-95E (MM), belt drive,  it uses a 12V power adapter, has phono out and USB to record to your computer.

Richard likes this

I saw all three Mondo BTTF scores in store the other day, might pick them up and let vinyl consume my soul!

On ‎2017‎-‎07‎-‎09 at 4:35 AM, RPurton said:

I saw all three Mondo BTTF scores in store the other day, might pick them up and let vinyl consume my soul!

Stephen King should really wrote a short story about that!

RPurton likes this

Some plot involving being recorded to vinyl and you only exist when the record is playing. Then there's an alternate Vinyl dimension where people live in the grooves, and music is simply the voices of all the trapped souls crying out an eternal plea for release.

Bespin likes this