Sign in to follow this  
Trent Hoyt

Vinyl

3 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

Wouldn't you like to impress your friends by playing Gravity (of all records!) on a vertical turntable? It's not about sound. It's about how cool you are.

I assume the arm has to be spring loaded in some way to be able to stay in the groove. Would too much pressure not damage the LP though?

On 4/20/2017 at 10:46 AM, Alexcremers said:

Don't forget to Betamax the reaction of your friends when they behold your new setup!

0a99226d0c5e82c24fae402c50c7d1ab.jpg

That's a professional Betacam equipment, not Betamax. Super-8 would be more suited for the occasion anyway...

28 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Waiting for Minidisc to come back!

Most people didn't even know that format existed during its peak.

Some plot involving being recorded to vinyl and you only exist when the record is playing. Then there's an alternate Vinyl dimension where people live in the grooves, and music is simply the voices of all the trapped souls crying out an eternal plea for release.

4 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

Well, we just set up a very old but perfectly functional 1984 turntable. I'm starting to seriously consider buying JW vinyls now.

Do it! You'll never look back!

They're an oddly elegant complement to whatever CD version you might have. Just for fun. Just beware, their highs tend to distort when the music hits climaxes, and they're disappointly lacking in much bass response compared to a trusty old CD master. Oh and inner groove distortion is no myth, it's there!

It means sometimes when a horn or brass instrument hits a high note, depending on the quality/condition of the LP or the make of the stylus/cartridge and phono stage, it can result in brief but distinct mushy sounds. It's just part of the format.

Do you guys have any recommendations regarding buying vinyls? I mean, is it safe to order online from, say, Amazon UK? They usually package stuff okay, but my Titanic DVD case got damaged and some LLL cases were cracked too. Is picking vinyls up in a store the best way, or shouldn't I worry about online shipping?