Upcoming Soundtracks

MattyO

Yeah, there are numerous things in that statement that are just colliding into a massive "Wha...?" in my head.

Koray, you have heard Silvestri's material for POTC...that was never recorded? And it sucks? Mmmmkay...

• Replies 837
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting, Silvestri said in past interviews nothing was recorded, no demo's existed and he basically threw out his early sketches.

However I find it hard to believe, given Silvestri's body of work compared to Zimmer's, that it would be worse than Hansy's music.

I have heard it, yes.

How do you know it was real? How do you know it wasn't some other score that somebody labeled as Silvestri's POTC just to fool people?

For example, there are supposed boots of Howard Shore's King Kong floating around, but in reality they are all just John Frizzell's score to Primeval.

I think it was obvious Howard Shore didn't compose that disguised King Kong boot. When I first listened to that I was like "WTF?"

I don't know if it is real, all I have is a 2 and a half minute "theme." It sounds like something Danny Elfman would do. It has a pretty bad chorus and is a waltz similar to Zimmer's theme for Jack, but it's all dreary.

I think it was obvious Howard Shore didn't compose that disguised King Kong boot. When I first listened to that I was like "WTF?"

I don't know if it is real, all I have is a 2 and a half minute "theme." It sounds like something Danny Elfman would do. It has a pretty bad chorus and is a waltz similar to Zimmer's theme for Jack, but it's all dreary.

I think you have the theme for the Paris Disneyland ride of Pirates... That circulates as a fake "rejected" theme for POTC...

If it has an organ and a "friend like me" in the trumpets, it's definetly the ride theme.

But then again, "Pickled Heads" seems too rambunctious for Titus (I never saw it, but I cannot possibly imagine what kind of scene it would accompany)

You would be surprised...

-Chris, highly recommending the great film that is "Titus"... the music ans the movie follow the same artistic vision, which in turn is similar to Shakespeare's

I didn't say anything about Silvestri. I said this music sucked under the impression that it was Silvestri. The music still sucks and Silvestri is a decent composer.

Oh, only teasing.

• 3 weeks later...

A couple of updates:

LAND OF THE LOST - Michael Giacchino

(Varese Sarabande - 23 June - Pushed Back from 9 June!)

1. Swamp And Circumstance (1:25)

2. The Lighter Side Of Archaeology (1:03)

3. Food Coma For Thought (1:01)

4. A Routine Expedition (:48)

5. The Greatest Earthquake Ever Known (3:12)

6. Matt Lauer Can Suck It (1:22)

7. Chaka Chasedown (:43)

8. The Ones That Got Away (4:17)

9. Enik Calls For Marshall (1:16)

10. Sleestak Attack (2:01)

11. Enik The Altrusian (3:20)

12. The Cosmic Lost And Found (1:34)

13. When Piss On Your Head Is A Bad Idea (3:54)

14. A New Marshall In Town (1:37)

15. Pterodactyl Ptemper Ptantrum (:42)

16. The Crystal Cave (1:43)

17. In Search Of ... Holly (1:34)

18. Undercover Sleestak (2:18)

19. Never Trust A Dude In A Tunic (4:17)

20. If You Don’t Make It, It’s Your Own Damn Vault (2:40)

21. Holly Mad As Sin (:50)

22. Sleestak Showdown (:53)

23. Stakbusters (2:33)

24. FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT (1:27)

25. Crystal Clear (2:31)

26. Mystery Cave Reunion (1:22)

27. Ready And Will (1:36)

28. End Credits Can Suck It! (3:26)

29. Pop Goes The Sleestak (:16)

Bonus Tracks:

30. A Routine Expedition (Version 1) (:50)

31. The Devil’s Canyon Mystery Cave (Version 1) (2:04)

32. Crystal Clear (Film Version) (2:19)

ICE AGE: DAWN OF THE DINOSAURS - John Powell

(Varese Sarabande - 23 June)

1. Code Blue (1:44)

2. Pregnant (1:56)

3. Leaving The Herd (1:50)

4. The Cavern (:33)

5. Magic Eggs (:13)

6. Egg Roll (2:08)

7. The Cliff (:19)

8. Sid’s Kids (1:36)

9. Nest (1:22)

10. Playground (1:34)

11. Scrat Finds Furry Love* (:41)

12. Momma (3:38)

13. Entry To Lost World (1:36)

14. Dinosaur Vista (:34)

15. Meet Buck (2:59)

16. Flower of Death (2:49)

17. Nose Job (1:35)

18. Trek (1:00)

19. Chasm of Death (:22)

20. Big Smelly Crack (3:10)

21. We shall raise them Vegetarian (2:20)

22. Campfire Stories (1:19)

23. Flashback (:59)

24. Nite Nite (:45)

25. You’ll Never Tango* (:48)

26. Herd Crossing (:37)

27. Plates of Woe (3:58)

28. Battle Cry (:16)

29. Buck’s Theme (:38)

30. Battles (4:05)

31. Over The Falls (:13)

32. Rescues (3:33)

33. Alone Again† Performed by Chad Fischer (1:54)

34. To The Portal (:54)

35. Rudy Fight (2:12)

36. Farewell (1:42)

37. Out Of This World (:33)

38. Buck Returns (1:08)

39. Welcome To The Ice Age (1:58)

40. At Home With The Scrats* (:26)

41. The Call Of The Siren Acorn‡ (:16)

42. True Love For Our Hero‡ (:23)

43. End Credits (7:00)

44. You’ll Never Find Another Love Like Mine Performed by Lou Rawls (4:26)

HARRY POTTER AND THE HALF-BLOOD PRINCE - Nicholas Hooper

(New Line Records - July 14)

1. Opening

2. In Noctem

3. The Story Begins

4. Ginny

5. Snape & the Unbreakable Vow

6. Wizard Wheezes

7. Dumbledore's Speech

8. Living Death

9. Into the Pensieve

10. The Book

11. Ron s Victory

12. Harry & Hermione

13. School!

14. Malfoy's Mission

15. The Slug Party

16. Into the Rushes

Farewell Aragog

18. Dumbledore's Foreboding

19. Of Love & War

20. When Ginny Kissed Harry

21. Slughorn's Confession

22. Journey to the Cave

23. The Drink of Despair

24. Inferi in the Firestorm

The Killing of Dumbledore

Dumbledore's Farewell

27. The Friends

28. The Weasley Stomp

I'll be purchasing all of these as I'm high on Michael Giacchino, love Powell's work for The Meltdown and am eager to give Hooper a chance to prove himself worthy of Deathly Hallows. Can't wait!

Sorry, I confused that. Half-Blood Prince is the latest Potter movie; what I meant was that I'll be listening to HBP to see whether I want to hear Hooper score Deathly Hallows. Of course, I'm still rooting for Johnny to come back to bat(on).

Wow, I'd completely forgotten about HBP. I wonder if I'll continue to have every Potter score in my collection? OOTP was a decent effort from the rookie.

I see they're not afraid of spoilers in the track titles. But all of us who have read the book know what happens.

In other news, Public Enemies now has a Track listing on Amazon.com

1. Ten Million Slaves Otis Taylor

2. Chicago Shake The Bruce Fowler Big Band

3. Drive To Bohemia Elliot Goldenthal

4. Love Me or Leave Me Billie Holiday

5. Billie's Arrest Elliot Goldenthal

6. Am I Blue? Billie Holiday

7. Love In The Dunes Elliot Goldenthal

8. Bye Bye Blackbird Diana Krall

9. Phone Call To Billie Elliot Goldenthal

10. Nasty Letter Otis Taylor

11. Plane To Chicago Elliot Goldenthal

12. Guide Me O Thou Great Jehovah Indian Bottom Association, Old Regular Baptists

13. Gold Coast Restaurant Elliot Goldenthal

14. The Man I Love Billie Holiday

15. JD Dies Elliot Goldenthal

16. Dark Was The Night, Cold Was The Ground Blind Willie Johnson

Though I am disappointed in the appearance of songs, I am happy to know that is primarily an Elliot Goldenthal album.

Though I am disappointed in the appearance of songs, I am happy to know that is primarily an Elliot Goldenthal album.

I wouldn't call 7 out of 16 "primarily". But we don't know how much score there is in the film - this may be all (or most) there is.

Yeah, he's very Scorsese in his balance of score and songs. I like that he's always very particular where he puts his songs, and it usually works really well (Iron Butterfly in MANHUNTER, Audioslave in COLLATERAL, Moby/Joy Division in HEAT). It's interesting that he also uses cues from his earlier flicks in some movies.

• 2 weeks later...

A friend of myne recently gave me a copy of Powell's "Ice Age: Dawn of the Dinosaurs" and I must say it's really good! One of the best parts is that is doesn't "additional music by" anywhere, so it's all Powell! Finally! ;)

Also I love how he combined Morricone's and Copland's styles in terms of western music.

I think I like this soundtrack more than the first, or the second... No, wait... The second, yes.

I haven't heard the music yet, but I look forward to it. However, the album looks like a big bunch of tiny cues which I generally don't like.

I haven't heard the music yet, but I look forward to it. However, the album looks like a big bunch of tiny cues which I generally don't like.

Admit it: Williams knows how to produce an album!

Admit it: Williams knows how to produce an album!

I never denied it. I have issues with some of his albums, but I am fine with the most.

Yeah, Dawn Of The Dinosaurs has 44 tracks. Most of Powell's animation scores are like that.

What I don't understand is why are they like "cutted". Take for example "True Love for our Hero" and "End Credits". Right at the end of "True Love..." starts the beggining of "End Credits"... It doesn't make any sense. And these happens a lot on Powell's animated soundtracks.

They're gapless, so bunches of cues flow right into one another. It's just a format for some scores, I guess to be more precise in naming the cues. Some of Thomas Newman's scores are like that. I don't see the problem.

Whenever that happens, I rip the tracks together as one track. One of the most extreme examples is Gladiator, where I took it from 17 tracks down to 9.

Well if you're not using gapless playback then you get an annoying gap...

I have a gapless plugin for winamp, but I don't use it all the time, so I also often rip several tracks as one.

What's the point? The majority of my listening is done without gapless playback. I don't listen to audio CDs anymore as such, so that's out. I don't own an ipod (yet) so any gapless playback options it has don't do it for me yet. I listen to a CD-R of MP3's in either my car (with gap) or portable MP3-CD player (with gap). After several years of listening to music with gaps at the critical transition parts wherever the track number changes, I got sick of it. Sure, I can listen to FLACs or MP3s using Winamp on a computer with gapless playback, but now I'd need up to four folders of each album -- gapped FLAC, gapless FLAC, gapped MP3, and gapless MP3. Yea, ok, I think I'll do that.

Twister lends itself well to combing tracks together, and the packaging even promotes it. The first 4 make up Oklahoma; the next 2 are It's Coming. The next four are The Hunt, then you get the standalone The Damage. After the 2-track Hailstorm Hill, combine 3 for F5. I just wouldn't combine the last two tracks because I really enjoy the Van Halen brothers on Respect the Wind, and I don't want to listen to that goofy William Tell Overture/Oklahoma to get there. But I also have Respect the Wind as a standalone single anyways in with my Van Halen songs, so it's all good.

I'm just torn as to why I haven't combined my Twister tracks like I just described yet.

Twister lends itself well to combing tracks together, and the packaging even promotes it. The first 4 make up Oklahoma; the next 2 are It's Coming. The next four are The Hunt, then you get the standalone The Damage. After the 2-track Hailstorm Hill, combine 3 for F5. I just wouldn't combine the last two tracks because I really enjoy the Van Halen brothers on Respect the Wind, and I don't want to listen to that goofy William Tell Overture/Oklahoma to get there. But I also have Respect the Wind as a standalone single anyways in with my Van Halen songs, so it's all good.

I'm just torn as to why I haven't combined my Twister tracks like I just described yet.

I find the Williams Tell Overture quite fun, so I moved that to the middle of the album, closer to where it actually appears in the film.

Also combined about 3 groups of cues together, plus a DVD rip of the scene where they hurriedly leave Meg's house... I love the bit with the guitar with the aerial shot over the landscape :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

GI JOE - Silvestri.

http://www.varesesarabande.com/details.asp...2D066%2D980%2D2

Looks to be 70+ minutes and performed by the Hollywood Studio Symphony.

Although given the Michael Bay styled previews one would wonder how much symphony is in the music.

GI JOE - Silvestri.

http://www.varesesarabande.com/details.asp...2D066%2D980%2D2

Looks to be 70+ minutes and performed by the Hollywood Studio Symphony.

Although given the Michael Bay styled previews one would wonder how much symphony is in the music.

I can't wait to hear this.

70+ minutes with a score recorded in L.A.?

Did Varese win the lottery or something?

When's the BIG FSM release supposed to happen?

Must be soon, it's been mentioned they want it ready for Comic-Con I think.

Unless it's early 90s Williams, can't see myself being interested in it, with all the Batman/Trek talk.

I seriously doubt it will be Batman or Star Trek.

More than likely it will be something along the lines of Gremlins or even BTTF.

I believe Lukas said it was going to be a "Real Holy Grail". It's been released before but FSM is going to pay the re-use fees, add more music, and make it unlimited.