The official "I just saw an awesome concert" thread.

pixie_twinkle

Aerosmith. They performed Toys In The Attic front to back. I've never seen a band do this and its something that should be done more. I would love to see them play some other albums in their entirety. Great show.

The Who used to do that, with Tommy at least. And Gilmour's done it with his latest album. Also Oldfield with his various Tubular Bells, but those are "atomic" works anyway (I'm more surprised they actually went to such lengths to perform these - not that I'm complaining ;) ).

I wrote a short review at my last.fm blog.

Aerosmith 6/16/09 Comcast Center

Setlist:

Train Kept A Rollin'

Cryin'

Love In An Elevator

Jaded

Dream On

Combination

Toys In The Attic

Uncle Salty

Adam's Apple

Walk This Way

Big Ten Inch Record

Sweet Emotion

No More No More

Round And Round

Livin' On The Edge

Draw The Line

Encore:

Dirty Water

Come Together

Aerosmith is one of the greatest rock bands of all time. They have countless songs that are know and loved. This show was not catered to those fans that just love the radio songs. Instead of a greatest hits show, which they could keep doing forever, Aerosmith took a different direction. They played their third album "Toys In The Attic" front to back. It was great to see a big band take a chance with a slightly different set list and approach.

The Dropkick Murphys were invited onstage for "Dirty Water." Clearly this was not rehearsed or perhaps even planned. It was completely butchered and devolved into a "love that dirty water" chant that not even the crowd was interested in being a part of. "Come Together" was a pleasant surprise. A two song cover encore was another interesting choice for a band that clearly loved dipping into their catalog.

Saw Dream Theater on Tuesday night. First time over here. It was generally excellent, with some amazing parts, and the most mind blowing encore I could have imagined (playing a medley that included three of my favorite songs and a prog-metal version of 'Hava Nagila'). 12,000 people came, which I understand is quite a nice turnout, and they were totally game. Totally amazing.

The Who used to do that, with Tommy at least. And Gilmour's done it with his latest album. Also Oldfield with his various Tubular Bells, but those are "atomic" works anyway (I'm more surprised they actually went to such lengths to perform these - not that I'm complaining :lol: ).

Brian Wilson has performed Pet Sounds & Smile live, both with orchestra.

• 4 weeks later...

Wait, you didn't actually see it and it clearly wasn't awesome (not with THESE selections anyway). Do you still think it was worth mentioning on this particular thread? :P

BTW, Koray, I just heard The Pledge score that you mentioned recently. It's not bad actually. :lol:

Karol

I managed to recegnize only some of the preformers - Zimmer, Powell, H. Gregson-Williams, Jablonsky, Pereira, Tillman and Lisbeth Scott. I have no idea who are the others.

BTW, Koray, I just heard The Pledge score that you mentioned recently. It's not bad actually. :)

Karol

:P

I managed to recegnize only some of the preformers - Zimmer, Powell, H. Gregson-Williams, Jablonsky, Pereira, Tillman and Lisbeth Scott. I have no idea who are the others.

That's most of 'em. I'm surprised someone else here can identify that many! :lol: Lorne Balfe, Nick-Glennie Smith, and Bruce Fowler are there as well. Jeffrey Katzenberg too, although he was like the announcer. I don't know who the guy singing I Like To Move it is, or the female violinist.

Zimmer and Powell performing Kung Fu Panda was pretty cool.

• 2 weeks later...

SawDream Theater on Tuesday night. First time over here. It was generallyexcellent, with some amazing parts, and the most mind blowing encore Icould have imagined (playing a medley that included three of myfavorite songs and a prog-metal version of 'Hava Nagila'). 12,000people came, which I understand is quite a nice turnout, and they weretotally game. Totally amazing.

ooooh, awesome! They will be playing in Boston a week from Sunday, can't wait

(BTW, what where your 3 favorite songs that they played?)

Click for more photos. I also did a first serious test of my cam's video recording feature, and the result turned out to be very useable indeed. Haven't uploaded that anywhere.

Better late than never:

• 3 weeks later...

This past weekend, I've played in two great concerts with EMSOC (European Medical Students' Orchestra & Choir). EMSOC takes part in different EU country every year and this time, Slovenia had the privilege of hosting both ensembles. Both concerts (one in beautiful seaside Piran and the other in Slovenian Philharmonic Hall in Ljubljana) were magnificent. The program was as follows:

- Ivan Florjanc: Hippocratis iusiurandum, new work

- Gasper Jereb: The Princess of Flowers, new work

- Jules Massenet: Meditation from Thais, solo violin: Lucija Cemazar

- Franz Schubert: Symphony No. 3 in D, D200

- Joseph Haydn: Missa Sancti Nicolai in G, H.XXII:6

- Michele Josia: De profundis

- Marjan Grdadolnik: Laudate Dominum

And here, you can see and hear Hippocratis iusiurandum (Hippocratic Oath). I'm on timpani, of course. ;);)

Franz Schubert: Symphony No. 3 in D, D200

Very good piece.

And here, you can see and hear Hippocratis iusiurandum (Hippocratic Oath). I'm on timpani, of course.

I wish to ask you, Maglorfin, what is your favorite piece to perform as a timpanist?

Saw McCartney last year...one of the most awesome nights of my life. Was there anything interesting in the set-list? The one here was pretty predictable (but still awesome).

<a href="

target="_blank">Hans Zimmer had a concert on the DreamWorks Animation roof.</a>

I wish I could have been there!!! Pretty much everyone at RCP on one stage.

I missed this...footage makes it look kinda lame, but fun. It's the first time I've seen Zimmer with Powell or HGW.

Missed this to. The songs were Metropolis Pt. 1 / Learning to Live (with Hava Nagila in the middle)/ A Change of Seasons. Best. Encore. Ever. I forgot to mention- for some strange reason, between the opening band and Dream, they played the prelude from Psycho on the speakers. No idea why, but it was fun hearing Herrmann at a rock concert.

I saw McCartney twice back in 2002 and I thought that this show was clearly better. Highlights:

I've Got A Feeling

Paperback Writer

A Day In The Life/ Give Peace A Chance

Day Tripper

Helter Skelter

Get Back

I saw O.A.R. over the weekend, and the singer lost his voice after the second song. You'd think a band that's been touring for over a decade would have a Plan B, like somebody else who knows the words. Nope!

I wish to ask you, Maglorfin, what is your favorite piece to perform as a timpanist?

Oh, you've got me now. :) I doubt I could choose only one, but I'm sure Strauss' opening of Thus Spake Zarathustra and Copland's Fanfare for the Common Man are two pieces every timpanist in the world should play at least once (I've already played both of course). Personally, I very much enjoy Jan Van der Roost's symphonic poem Spartacus, that one has a great timpani part, Beethoven's 7th, Schubert's 3rd, Stravinsky's Berceuse and Finale from Firebird, Respighi's Pines of the Appian Way from Pines of Rome and Tchaikovsky's Romeo and Juliet fantasy overture, all those are excellent examples of great writing for timpani ... as is the Star Wars main title, of course. ;):)

It was only today that I saw that somebody mentioned Dream Theater - I'm also going to their concert on October 31st in Ljubljana, and this year, I've also bought a meet and greet package, so I'm finally meeting those magicians, yaaay! ;)

I went to see David Helfgott in recital last night in my home town. Absolutely brilliant performance. For those not in the know, Helfgott is a piano genius who was amazingly portrayed by Geoffrey Rush in the movie Shine. He performed some riveting pieces, including works by Rachmaninoff, Debussy and Khachaturian. I had the privilege of meeting him personally after the concert (one of the perks of knowing the people who run the theatre, I also got complementary tickets) which was an experience in itself. I received more than one hug and kiss!

It was one of the most inspirational moments of my life.

• 2 weeks later...

I just got back from Symphony Silicon Valley's free outdoor Williams concert. It was a fun little outing...most of the selections were fairly standard choices from Star Wars and E.T. and Harry Potter and so forth, but we also got a selection from Catch Me If You Can, "Hymn to the Fallen," "Dry Your Tears, Afrika," and a few others that are less popular. Despite sound system issues and a disappointing horn section, I definitely enjoyed it. The turnout and audience response were not bad at all, either.

I did get a kick out of watching a couple waltzing through "Hedwig's Theme"...especially when it switched into duple meter for the so-called Nimbus 2000 theme, and their waltz fell apart as I expected it to. ROTFLMAO

London Symphony Orchestra played a concert in Ljubljana several days ago, conducted by Valery Gergiev. The last time the LSO visited Slovenia was in 1999 - 10 years ago, I sure hope they come sooner than that again. This time (they're doing a European tour) they played Debussy's La mer and Shostakovich's 8th. Of course, it was exquisite, and Gergiev is such a master! ROTFLMAO to all!

I went to the late night Prom concert on Tuesday featuring Michael Nyman and his band at the Royal Albert Hall. Although it included a couple of his non-film compositions (one of which - his Six Celan Songs - I found pretty dire, if I'm honest), I must admit that I enjoyed the film music selections most, starting with the popular The Draughtsman's Contract. I am not particularly familiar with Nyman's music and the bits that I had heard previously appealed to me more on a technical level than an emotional one, if you get my drift. Nonetheless, it was fascinating to see his music performed in concert by a group of just 12 musicians. As an encore he returned alone to the piano to play the piece Franklyn from his soundtrack to the film Wonderland, which I thought was the nicest piece of the evening.

There weren't many people there (it did not start until 10.15 p.m. :) ) but it's fun to go to the Proms late at night and see people lying on the floor looking up at the ceiling, if you can stay awake long enough!

I am just after Morricone's concert. Listening to Ecstasy of Gold live was truly exciting. Actually, it's a second time I've watched his concert; this time the programme was less obvious which was quite a surprise. Whether for better or for worse, I am not sure yet. Nevertheless, I really enjoyed the show and was again impressed by Morricone's stamina. I hope, that when JW reaches his age (in four years), he will be in similarly good condition.

The last Chicago stop of the Nine Inch Nails "Wave Goodbye" tour. Amazing experience (although there were some songs they should have played). In any case, being able to hear "Heresy", "Reptile" and "I'm Afraid of Americans" was the tops.

I am just after Morricone's concert. Listening to Ecstasy of Gold live was truly exciting.

Damn, the old SOB didn't play that a year ago in Ljubljana, although several thousand people were waiting for it ... :D In fact, no spaghetti western music at all, all we got was the lousy Gabriel's Oboe ... :D

I am just after Morricone's concert. Listening to Ecstasy of Gold live was truly exciting.

Damn, the old SOB didn't play that a year ago in Ljubljana, although several thousand people were waiting for it ... :D In fact, no spaghetti western music at all, all we got was the lousy Gabriel's Oboe ... :D

Two years ago in Kraków he didn't play that either, so I am lucky to having heard it on Sunday. However, this time around he played more from his less known repertoire, hence there was nothing from, say,Once Upon a Time in America, nor Untouchables. On the other hand, he played stuff from such movies like Queiemada or Investigation of a Citizen Above Suspicion.

• 2 weeks later...

Missed this to. The songs were Metropolis Pt. 1 / Learning to Live (with Hava Nagila in the middle)/ A Change of Seasons. Best. Encore. Ever. I forgot to mention- for some strange reason, between the opening band and Dream, they played the prelude from Psycho on the speakers. No idea why, but it was fun hearing Herrmann at a rock concert.

WOAH. AWESOME encore!!

• 8 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Yesterday I attended to an amazing concert in the Municipal House of Prague. Carl Davis conducted it. He was very nice and funny man.

There was mention to John Williams and the Jurassic Park suite was played.

Funny moment is when he asks for help to the audiende to guess next piece and he asks "Who you gonna call?" and only around 3 people we were shouting "Ghostbusters!!!!" :)

Here is the link from the Public Czech elevision:

http://www.ceskatelevize.cz/ivysilani/10319602241-hollywood-night/21154215647-hollywood-night/

Ennio Morricone is coming on 14th and 15th of July but unfortunately I am out of the city that days... I hope someone is attending...

Yesterday I attended to an amazing concert in the Municipal House of Prague. Carl Davis conducted it. He was very nice and funny man.

Thanks for posting, Deinonychus, that looked like a fun concert. Yes, Carl Davis is an all-round good egg - he does a lot of good film music concerts in the UK that tend to be aimed more at the casual / crossover market than the hardcore film music fans. His memorable music for the film Champions is played every Grand National day and is my current favourite film music horse theme, although John Williams's War Horse looks set to give it a good run for its money!

The Paradise. It was a free concert, and you had to win tickets from WFNX to get in. My GF won them a month or so ago

At the end of the show the band stayed behind to sign anything fans wanted for as long as fans were there. I was lucky enough to get one of their roadies to give us a set list, then I got it signed by all 6 band members. Awesome night

They played all 10 songs from the album, 1 old song from their EP, 3 brand new songs that will presumably be on their next album, and 2 cover songs - Steady As She Goes and Sweet Dreams (Are Made Of This). Spectacular show!!

I had never either. Was a good place to see a show. Sound was good, crowd was into it. Man that girl can play the tambourine...

Psycho was DT's intro piece for the Black Clouds tour.

And we just learnt which piece they choose for the new tour ;)

And about the topic, I recently saw Opeth at the Graspop Festival.

Simply orgasmic.

• 3 years later...

Randy Newman, receiving the Max Steiner award at this year's Hollywood in Vienna concert. I'm a big fan of his song writing, but I was reminded again how good his film scores are as well.

Newman also gave perhaps the best award speech I've ever heard. He could have kept talking for an hour and I don't think anyone would have minded. Speaking of his tremendous respect for orchestra musicians, he described them as people spending all their time alone in a room, "like snipers".