The official "I just saw an awesome concert" thread.

pixie_twinkle

Rufus Wainwright performing Want One and Want Two at the Proms was superb... and for those who didn't make it, you can listen here:

Want One: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m001q15q

Want Two: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m001q15s

It was one of those concerts were I slightly worried that it would come off the rails, there was a minor tech issue at the start of the first and Rufus seemed like he needed to sleep for a couple of days, but when he at the orchestra were actually performing, it was absolutely wonderful. Fun cameo performance right at the end of Want Two...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Danny Elfman's music for Tim Burton's movies, yesterday evening at the Royal Albert Hall. 

Overall I liked it, I was glad to hear for the first time live some great music from Beetlejuice, Batman & Batman Returns, Edward Scissorhands, Sleepy Hollow, Corpse Bride. But the main attraction was hearing the man himself (looking weird and fit at 70) perform songs from the Nightmare before Christmas.

Main gripe was the bad electronic amplification. The music was loud most of the time, even in what should be quiet moments, and in the most orchestrally dense moments it was sometimes illegible. It also drowned out Danny Elfman's voice at several points, which, come on, I'm no expert but can't they do better than this? 

I loved the show, but I had the exact same problem as you. Sometimes the brass were so loud it almost hurt and the end of the Beetlejuice suite became a muddy mess.

At the same time, it really worked for the Wednesday suite. It felt like it became a rock concert for two minutes.