Meter for Across the Stars

I have a strange question:

What is the meter for the single version (AOTC track 2) of Across the Stars? The introduction seems to be in 12/8, yet the theme seems to really fit into 9/8. I have a discrepency with the first full measure of the theme itself. The tempo, being so molto rubato, makes the beat divisions unclear. Could it be in 12/8? 15/8 ?

The 4:3 hemiola in the "B section" of the theme makes things difficult as well. Some might then argue that it is really in 3/4 4/4 with a lot of triplets, but I still see that as too many triplets. Therefore I prefer to think of it as in 9/8, even though it results in the somewhat unusual 4:3 hemiola.

Any help would be much appreciated. I have a MIDI file of what I have thus far.

If anyone would like any music that is not yet in MIDI or sheet music, let me know and I will put it on my list :mrgreen:

You can reach me on AIM at europunk314 if you have any questions or suggestions.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

When conducting :oops: it, I flop between 4 beats and 3 beats in a measure. I don't really think if the 4 beat section is 4/4, 12/8, or whatever though. When someone gets the Hal Leonard score, we'll see for sure. :mrgreen:

When is the score coming out? I thought it would be out by now, but it is not :mrgreen:. That's why I'm transcribing it. I should have a transcription of Yoda and the Younglings fairly soon.

I will have my ACTS score this friday... then we´ll know

jsawruk - are you using my midis from johnwilliams.fr.st when transcribing? I don´t mind at all, just wondering

Actually, no. I was unaware of your site until you mentioned it. I am using just the CDs and my ear to do the transcribing.

I just checked now, and will listen to them.

We should collaborate on this. Up for Zam and the Chase through Coruscant?

I'm sure there are other tracks too that we need to make. AOTC final CD track would be one for example. Let me know! :angry:

Sure, it would be fun to help eachother.

send me a mail and we could talk some more

rasmus.nordin@harnosand.se

I still am sure that it is rather a 3/4 and 4/4 meter, considering that in the final two theme presentations the triplets are gone (except the few ones in the melody) and instead we have this 16th notes/syncopated rhythm in woodwinds (1st time) and brass (2nd time).

The question is not whether it is in duple (3/4, 4/4) or triple (9/8, 12/8), but whether the first full measure of the theme has 3 or 4 beats (regardless of the subdivision we choose).

I still argue that it is in triple meter because of the immense number of triple groupings. It is possible, however, that in the final theme exposition that the accompaniment is duple. This is either a change of meter into a duple meter, or a hemiola of the theme (in triple) over a duple accompaniment. Either way, I see this as a variation of the theme, and thus has no real weight on the actual theme itself.

We must remember that the track Across the Stars is really a theme and variation on the love theme. I am just interested in the original form of the theme as heard in the first exposition.

I believe the first measure of the theme, played by the oboe, is in 4/4 meter, as is the introduction. From there it switches to 3/4 until the B part of the theme.

Of course, I can't really say if Williams notated it in 3/4 or in 9/8. I would write it in 3/4 (and I'm pretty sure the two final theme presentations at least are in 3/4), but given the fact that he put the Hogwarts theme, consisting mostly of dual 8th notes and only occasional triplets, in triple meter in some parts of HArry Potter, it could of course also be 9/8.

-Chris

In the music video, Williams conducts the theme 3/4.

Like I had mentioned a few weeks ago, due to the syncopated brass accompaniment happening later on the piece, which is duple in it's rhythm, I have confidence that the piece is in 4/4, 3/4 and even there are 2/4 in there.

The final judgement comes when we see it in print.

I can see that there are a few people here that have good ears. Anyone of you collect film manuscript scores?

Also, anyone here have perfect pitch?

Sorry, what is the difference you see when someone conducts a 3/4 as opposed to a 9/8? Both are conducted as 3 beats per measure (unless the tempo is so terribly slow that he can conduct all 9 8th notes... that's not the case here).

-Chris, :?:

But thanks for the tip with the music video, I hadn't thought of that before. While watching it I now noticed some (more or less) interesting bits about the sheet music. At roughly 4:03 (or so) you can clearly see the score Johnny is conducting from, and he's using the 8-system sketch score for that instead of the full score. Perhaps that saves time as he doesn't have to turn pages every few seconds :music: (at 2:02 there is a closer look on the sketch score, as well as on the full score, which seems very huge :))

-Chris, who would almost give his arm to obtain a complete full score of 2 hours for any Star Wars movie.

I still think that the original exposition of the theme is in triple meter because the accompaniment is clearly triple. It is futile to write so many triplets when one can simply write eighth notes instead. And, as pointed out, when you conduct triple meters with dotted-quarter equalling one beat, it is the same as conducting in duple meter with a quarter note equalling a beat.

Later variations may very be in duple, I do not argue that. Furthermore, Williams occassionally changes the entire theme to 6/8 (or 2/4).

I would give more than an arm for a complete Star Wars orchestral score!