The Official Mythbusters Thread

• 7 months later...

Mythbusters 13x07 Blow It Out Of The Water

It was fun watching them try to blow a boat out of the water! No surprise its not possible.

Loved that they tested Walter's machine gun rig from the Breaking Bad finale. They definitely cheated a bit by adding the extra gear to change the speed, though.

Mythbusters 13x08 Flights of Fantasy

The whole U2 thing was just a way to get Adam to go up in the plane - there was no real myth here. Still, it was cool to see what the Earth is like from up there. The drone death thing was amusing. Drones are cool!

Mythbusters 13x09 Accidental Ammo

Loved them testing the speed and force of rocks propelled out by a lawmower with the guard removed. Too bad Jamie's mega-mower died! No surprises about skyscraper glass falling.

Mythbusters 13x10 Dangerous Driving

No surprises at all that driving while on a cell phone is bad, nor that a trained professional could drive in reverse just fine :P

Mythbusters 13x11 Supernatural Shooters

Really awesome seeing them test shooting at bad guys through drywall and other stuff. The bullets in the fire thing was obvious! Loved that they had to re-create the scene since they didn't have the footage.

Mythbusters 13x12 Unfinished Business

Obviously, golf video games would never be better than professional golf lessons! The hollow road spikes was awesome. The pin holding of a grenade was obvious too. Loved watching that expert fast-reload his gun!

Mythbusters 13x13 Mythbusters Vs. Jaws

That was a nice, much more thorough testing of the scuba tank scene from Jaws, nicely done. The dead shark smell as a repellent was fascinating!

Mythbusters 13x14 Star Wars: The Myths Strike Back

Glad they proved that while blasters can't be figuring actual "lasers", that what they are firing is still way too fast to dodge :) The lightsaber battling was awesome!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Mythbusters 14x01 The Explosion Special

The mail truck bomb with cement was pretty interesting despite being totally predictable; Actually it was pretty surprising when at first it seemed that it worked; No surprise that it was actually that the dynamite didn't go off.  The final explosion comparison was neat and I like that they use drones now to get new angles.  The hovercraft over the minefield was likewise really cool!  What a cool toy one of those would be to have!

Mythbusters 14x02 Tanker Crush

One of the best episodes of the show ever!  I loved all the small scale tests (gas tank, 55 gallon drum, then 3 55 gallon drums welded together); The whole "waiting forever and then SUDDEN BOOM!" aspect reminded me of the old water heater episode.  When they got to the full size experiment it was just awesome.  I loved how they actually DIDN'T get it to crush; A completely valid result!  But so glad that dropping a 3200lb weight on it did the trick.  When that thing imploded it was SO COOL looking - one of the most memorable images the show's ever had!  It was surprising too; I really thought they weren't going to be able to replicate the results.  Great episode!

Mythbusters 14x03 Cooking Chaos

The sushi thing was stupid; Of course it would never work and the video was a total fake job.  I love that they tried to replicate the results with 4 sword forges at the end.  The blaster cap juice was pretty interesting, I wouldn't have guessed it'd work so well!

• 3 weeks later...

Mythbusters 14x04 Driven to Destruction

Jamie's myth, crushing the car with explosives, was dumb.  I guess with an unlimited budget you could eventually get it, but they should have realized they were unlikely to get a usable result after one try.  It was all disappointing.

Adam's was way better.  Was pretty impressive how much lift power a household vacuum can have!

Mythbusters 14x05 Volunteer Special

A rather boring episode.  The redo of Axe Vs Gun for a Zombie attack was just as flawed as the original one (doesn't take into account the effort needed to remove the axe from a zombie skull.  Still had some entertaining aspects though.

The grocery store line was interesting, but unsurprising in results.  They've been doing it the same way for years for a reason!

Mythbusters 14x06 Failure Is Not an Option!

Mostly meh revisits.  Drifting on dirt - not exciting to watch, but interesting that it all evened out.  They should have done a course of all sharp turns and a course of all wide turns for a final comparison.

Cigarette lighting blocking a bullet - loved seeing the difference in technology from the first time till now (high speed HD).  The fact they got a perfect result from a ricochet was neat too!

Fish tank blocking a shotgun - fascinating - amazing that all 3 worked!

Surviving two explosions was dumb.  As soon as they said what it was I said to my wife "there's no way that would work" and of course I was exactly right.  Smart rig they set up, though!

Mythbusters 14x07 Rocketman

Another episode that felt like half an episode's worth of stuff stretched into a whole episode.  It needed the build team to be doing something else to break all this up!

Their first round of experiments were awful - I said to my wife "why aren't they doing the control first?" and sure enough, they eventually realized they should have after wasting tons of time and money.  Duh - how do they not know this after 14 years?

The second round was like ehhh, OK, I think for a control they should have launched one with no powder added to the mix at all, or just plain sugar.  Comparing it to a mysterious control and poop only wasn't very enlightening.  Oh well.

Mythbusters 14x08 Reddit Special

Capturing a fart on Infared - interesting, never really thought about it.  Makes total sense!

Dropping buster out of a helicopter in an inflatable hampster ball - awesome!  Though what I didn't like was that for the final drop, it looked like all the bubble wrap was on top of Buster instead of under him!  I wonder if he would have been OK if they had stuffed the ball properly?

Punching Through a Paper Bag - another good one, everything made total sense.  I liked how hard it was with boxing gloves and how easy it was with bare fists.

Blowing up the inflable thingy with glitter inside it - meh

Mythbusters 14x09 Grand Finale

Meh.  For the final "regular' episode, you'd think they'd actually, you know, bust a myth or two instead of just destroying stuff?  Oh well.

Blowing up the RV at 50,000 frames per second - yea, that was cool, but I wouldn't say it was all that different from prior high-speed captured explosions.

Plow truck split - Kind of cool to see, but geez, how freaking long would it take to clean up this mess afterwards?  One odd thing was that I wasn't sure if the props from old myths they set up were truly the actual props used in those old episodes that had all been in storage, or if they quickly rebuilt some stuff just for show?  EIther way, this whole thing must have been one of the most expensive things they've done!

Buster on the rocket sled - Impressive to see but a bit odd that he truly got disintegrated.... I figured he was probably buried in the sand pile but they didn't think that was interesting enough :P

Mythbusters 14x10 The Reunion

Well, this was nice and all, but not as interesting or revealing as it could have been.  The elephant in the room - that the build team had been fired a year ago and not been a part of the final 2 seasons at all - was not even brought up, which was extremely disappointing.  Sure it would have been slightly awkward, but it would have been nice to at least acknowledge it!

The topics the fivesome discussed where all pretty standard - favorite myth, least favorite moments, favorite science used, favorite explosions, dangerous moments, etc.  

Some of the most interesting topics were unfortunately the ones that got given the least amount of time.  Like they briefly covered how the show evolved over time.... I had forgotten how they used to do some really out-there stuff like mind control, pyramid power, etc etc!  I think the show was at its best in the middle years; In the beginning they took a while to find the right types of stories to do and the episodes were slower paced, too.  Plus the supporting cast was changing all the time and the roles they played were different.  In the middle the run had a much bigger budget, great fans that were constantly helping, and they found the right formula with Jamie and Adam doing one myth, Tori Grant and Kari doing another, and them teaming up occasionally for really big stories.  The end they changed too much, not just letting go of the B team but the super-macho titles and music, and they kept leaving out so many aspects of the story they'd just skip over the designs a lot of the time or other interesting things (like actually building some of their things).  The final season overall was a dissapointment.  I guess the show just got too big for its britches.

Hopefully the entire cast does some other, similar show  in stead, where they have more creative control.

I didn't know about the "lost episode"; I see it aired last night so we'll be watching it soon!

• 4 weeks later...

I'm sure that's it.  They wanted to keep the series going but didn't want to keep paying the build team and J&A, so first they fired the build team, then "ended" the show with J&A, and now will just continue.  Scheisters.

Mythbusters 14x11 Duct Tape; The Return

I don't like at all that Discovery took one of final season episodes filmed out of the block that aired, saving it to air after the show migrated its reruns to The Science Channel to air as a "Lost Episode".  I get that it might led to a couple viewing switching over to the Science Channel for the first time to see this episode, and end up sticking around for something else on the channel, but its one of the many decisions made in the last few years by Discovery Corporate that smack of more money-grabbing than anything creative.  That being said, it wasn't a great episode overall, and could even be the weakest of the season if not for the gummy bear rocket one.

Duct Tape Trebuchet - this was actually pretty cool.  Impressive that it worked right away, and it was fun to watch it launch things.

Duct Tape Seat Belt - This was kinda boring, especially since it was obvious it would never work.

I know its not "spiritually" the final episode of the show, but it technically is, and that's a bummer.  In my head, I'll just pretend it aired in the middle of the season somewhere, and it all ended with The Grand Finale and The Reunion.  And that Discovery isn't rebooting the show with cheaper hosts instead of paying Adam and Jaimie what they deserve.  Schiesters.  May they create their own new show that destroys the rebooted Mythbusters in the ratings!

• 5 months later...

I wonder if they will be legally allowed to "bust myths" or if Discovery's lawyers will force them to do something technically different. 

• 2 months later...
  • 3 years later...