'Star Wars' (1977) vs. 'Star Trek' (2009)

Hlao-roo

Pointless Comparison Poll #1239879812  

58 members have voted

1. 1. Overall, which is the better film?

• 'Star Wars' (1977)
    • 'Star Trek' (2009)

The two films have some thematic overlap, so this poll is at least somewhat justifiable.

I was tempted to include a third choice for the noncommittal, but I decided that would be too easy.

Obviously, don't vote unless (until) you've seen both films.

--

A comparison of the overall critics ratings:

MetaCritic

Star Wars: 91

Star Trek: 85

Rotten Tomatoes

Star Wars: 95%

Star Trek: 94%

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I voted Star Trek.

seriously Star Trek is a good movie, but Star Wars was a life altering event that changed the way I will forever view movies. Star Wars is my actual vote

Kirk is a farmboy driving fast vehicles around the desert.

Kirk goes to a bar with aliens and gets into an altercation.

Older gentleman approaches Kirk, tells him about his late father's heroics and propositions him.

Kirk tries to follow in his father's footsteps.

Kirk is attacked by an ice monster on some snow planet.

"I hope you know what you're doing." - Uhura

"So do I." - Kirk

Older gentleman approaches Kirk, tells him about his late father's heroics and propositions him.

"So do I." - Kirk

Kirk's father is a terrible actor.

"So do I." - Kirk

;)

Well JJ is more of a Star Wars person.

Jeffrey Overstreet also posted these at his blog (contains spoilers):

* A farm boy who likes to zoom around on a sort of landspeeder stops and gazes up wistfully at a starship.
    * That farm boy is encouraged by a veteran warrior, who tells him about how great his father was.
    * The bad guys blow up planets. We watch this happen in an excruciating scene, where a hero must cope with the death of his home and the people he loves. After the destruction of one world, we know that the climactic scenes will involve the attempted destruction of another.
    * The cocky hero is chasing the same girl as the more principled hero. And the audience is rather surprised by who she ends up with at the end.
    * The secondary hero must learn to break his code and “have faith.”
    * The climactic sequence involves a ship blasting itself free from the destructive power of an explosive calamity.
    * It all ends with an award ceremony.

I voted anyway. What are you gonna do about it?!

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say I doubt Star Trek will have the same impact as Star Wars did on me.

So, yeah I voted before seeing ST.

I voted Star Trek.

Haha I almost believed it ;)

If he did, he probably didn't notice it was about the new one, not TMP. ;)

I voted for Star Wars. There is no comparison!

Star Wars, and all of its sequels/prequels. I could not accept McLovin playing young Spock. The villain was straight out of one of the lesser TNG movies. Kirk was watchable, but I would rather see the real deal. I think this new film just made me a fan of the original series. Definitely some cool setpiece moments, like the drop fight, but Kirk, Spock and the gang these are not. Having someone else play young Obi Wan was one thing - he was an old man. But having different actors for the same character in their prime is too far fetched. Also too far fetched when the Enterprise is so completely different on the inside.

I voted Star Trek.

Haha I almost believed it ;)

If he did, he probably didn't notice it was about the new one, not TMP. ;)

I voted for Star Wars. There is no comparison!

wrong. I don't know who voted Star Trek but they are pretty damned stupid if they think its a better movie than Star Wars.

01 - Personal attacks or offensive language will not be allowed. Please be RESPECTFUL of one another, allow for differences in opinions, and please don't make anyone feel that they cannot post their views in this forum.

I voted anyway. What are you gonna do about it?!

Ban him!!!!

I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered.

Ha ha! You fool! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Asia, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a Sicilian when death is on the line! Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha! Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha! Ha ha ha...

I don't know who voted Star Trek but they are pretty damned stupid if they think its a better movie than Star Wars.

I'm one of the two. I voted before I even saw the film just to break the shutout. Ironically, I stick by my vote after seeing the film.

This Star Trek is not a better film than A New Hope. And A New Hope is bettered in the sage only by The Empire Strikes Back. But I think the new Trek is better than all the Star Wars Prequels based on the life in the characters alone.

This Star Trek is not a better film than A New Hope.

Sure it is, because there's no such movie as A New Hope.

It is not, however, a better movie than Star Wars.

I don't know who voted Star Trek but they are pretty damned stupid if they think its a better movie than Star Wars.

I'm one of the two. I voted before I even saw the film just to break the shutout. Ironically, I stick by my vote after seeing the film.

well that only confirms what I already knew.

That I'm an idiot? ;)

I never got into Star Wars nor understood why it is hailed as one of the greatest films of all time. Even if you don't think it's better than A New Hope or The Empire Strikes Back, you must admit it blows the hell out of the prequels, and Return Of The Jedi depending on your view of that episode.

I won't argue that its not a good movie, even a terrific one, but its not Star Wars quality, or even Wrath of Khan quality.

ah but you said it was better than Star Wars?

I never got into Star Wars nor understood why it is hailed as one of the greatest films of all time.

I know! It's not like it revitalized cinema, spawned a massive on-going franchise, made orchestral film scores popular again, and made space fantasy a hot commodity.

That much is certain.

Koray, maybe it's just something you had to see for the first time in 1977 or that you had to grow up with.

Probably. Will Star Trek become more socially popular or relevant than Star Wars? Definitely not, but I certainly enjoyed this one Trek film more than any of the Star Wars films.

I never got into Star Wars nor understood why it is hailed as one of the greatest films of all time.

I know! It's not like it revitalized cinema, spawned a massive on-going franchise, made orchestral film scores popular again, and made space fantasy a hot commodity.

Yeah, but what did the Romans ever do for us?

As a franchise I certainly prefer Trek, but SW is hard to beat as a single film.

There was a movie better than A New Hope......it's called Star Wars.

I will put this Trek film in the top 5 out of all 11 films.

Right now it's in my top tier with II, IV, and VI. Those are a decent way ahead of the next group (TMP Director's Cut, III, Generations and First Contact).

No, the original trilogy should never be touched. Maybe oneday the technology will exist to replace the Ewoks with Wookies or something a little more menacing.