Michael Giacchino's Star Trek

Jay

I told you, Medal of Honor! Sheesh, pay attention.

;)

It was one of the big statements of the main theme from the opening track. Short, but very cool. They'd been leaning toward PotC and other Zimmer crap the last couple of years.

• 3 weeks later...
Am I the only one who loves 'Rjuken Sabotage'? I never see it mentioned by anyone, here or on other sites.

It would help if I knew who or what was Rjuken Sabotage was, beyond the biblical frame of reference.

Hey gang!

I've updated the first post again with new info based on the "Expanded Score" that's "out there" (please, use the PM system). Sadly there's only 5 minutes of previously unreleased material, and its mostly mislabeled and alternate to the film versions, but its better than nothing.

"Behold The Narda" is the first 0:28 of the 0:40 cue I had called "The Narada Emerges"

"Pike's Plan" is actually the cue "Red Matter" from 0:00-0:43, and then "Preparing For Jump" from 0:43-end. So yes, the actual "Pike's Plan" cue that is supposed to be in between those cues is still missing. Also, the "Preparing For Jump" cue is an alternate as compared to the film version.

"The Big Jump" is also 2 cues combined: From 0:00-1:02 is the cue "Approaching The Drill Platform" (and is also alternate to the film version). 1:02-2:24 is a SECTION from the middle of "Drill Platform Fight" - the beginning and end of the cue are not included. 2:24-end is music that already appeared on the OST in 2 different places (I believe - not 100% confirmed yet)

Hey gang!

I've updated the first post again with new info based on the "Expanded Score" that's "out there" (please, use the PM system). Sadly there's only 5 minutes of previously unreleased material, and its mostly mislabeled and alternate to the film versions, but its better than nothing.

"Behold The Narda" is the first 0:28 of the 0:40 cue I had called "The Narada Emerges"

"Pike's Plan" is actually the cue "Red Matter" from 0:00-0:43, and then "Preparing For Jump" from 0:43-end. So yes, the actual "Pike's Plan" cue that is supposed to be in between those cues is still missing. Also, the "Preparing For Jump" cue is an alternate as compared to the film version.

"The Big Jump" is also 2 cues combined: From 0:00-1:02 is the cue "Approaching The Drill Platform" (and is also alternate to the film version). 1:02-2:24 is a SECTION from the middle of "Drill Platform Fight" - the beginning and end of the cue are not included. 2:24-end is music that already appeared on the OST in 2 different places (I believe - not 100% confirmed yet)

I'm familiar with this high-topped footwarmer ;)

"Behold The Narada" is actually from the end of Track 6 on the soundtrack.

"Red Matter" sounds like it was extracted from the End Titles.

I suspect the beginning of "The Big Jump" was edited from some of the third act cues on the soundtrack (not sure which) with some edits to repeat sections.

It is also likely that the unreleased portion, which I enjoyed greatly, were taken from Star Trek D-A-C.

Someone went to some trouble to edit this together, and in some ways represents a better idea for the score presentation than the CD.

Well I'll be dipped... you're right. I can't believe I never noticed it before, but "Red Matter" is actually on the OST, in the End Credits from 5:00-5:46. Neat.

Yea my first guess at "Behold The Narada' was that it was actually just the end of "Nero Sighted", but the beginning of the track isn't from there. It must just be from somewhere else, though.

Does anybody here own this game? : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Trek:_D-A-C

EDIT:

Datameister, your inbox is full again

Perhaps somebody got an advance copy of that game or the upcoming DVD/Blu-ray and happened to find a few bits of unreleased music in menus and whatnot.

Perhaps somebody got an advanced copy of that game or the upcoming DVD/Blu-ray and happened to find a few bits of unreleased music in menus and whatnot.

I suspect the former, since this has been on the web for a while.

Could it be from a beta or demo version of the game? If so, there could be more unreleased material in the theoretical full/revised version of the game. Interesting.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys, the main post has been updated! I've completed the breakdown of all the cues. Enjoy!

Also, I think the theme I had called the "Danger Motif" needs a new name - perhaps it is just the B section of the Main Theme? Here is all the times it plays in the film:

1. Establishing shot of the hangar after the distress call from Vulcan is received, and the cadets scramble to get their assignments. Unreleased.

2. The fleet enters warp to go help Vulcan. CD Track 5, Enterprising Young Men, 1:56-2:21

3. The Enterprise emerges from the magnetic field around Saturn, mixed with the Main Theme. Unreleased.

4. The Narada is pulled into the black hole, CD Track 11 Nero Fiddles, Narada Burns, 1:37-1:50

5. Spock enters the Enterprise bridge and submits his candidacy for First Officer to Kirk. CD Track 13 That New Car Smell, 4:16-4:4:25

6. The End Credits, 7:32-7:58

What do you think?

I'd also like to come up with a better name for what I called the "Action Theme"... it plays:

1. Bones sneaks Kirk past Spock on board the Enterprise just after arriving on board for the first time, then Spock takes an elevator to the bridge.CD track 5, Enterprising Young Men, 1:10-1:28

2. Pike gives a brief speech to the bridge crew, CD Track 5, Enterprising Young Men 1:44-1:53

3. Kirk, Sulu, and Olsen enter the shuttle to head down to Nero's drill. Unreleased

4. Kirk, Spock, and Pike arrive safely on the Enterprise after saving the day. CD Track 11 Nero Fiddles, Narada Burns, 0:01-0:07

5. The End Credits, 7:19-7:31

There's also another recurring theme heard in (at least) The Big Jump and Nero Death Experience that I will catalog later. I think a few cues contain a 3rd Nero Theme as well. Also, I was surprised to realize that Nero's Main Theme never reappears again after the drill sequence over Vulcan (unless I'm mistaken)

Did my update get lost with all the hoopla of the new software?

I thought it would generate SOME discussion...

I think the theme could be for Starfleet, since it accompanies all of the cadets preparing to board the shuttles in the hangar scene, and a fleet shot in Enterprising Young Men.

The Federation Theme or The Starfleet Theme sounds appropriate.

OneBuck, I love it that's perfect! Makes perfect sense. I think I'll call it the Cadet's Theme. Plays triumpantly at the end as Nero's ship is destroyed because all the cadet's did their part to defeat him. Sweet.

I think what I called the Action Theme is the real B theme...

Subconsciously, I pretty much think of them all as different sections of the main theme, I think. :D They seem so non-leitmotivic and interrelated to me that individual names seem a bit...unnecessary, I guess?

I was wondering does anybody know how to pronounce his last name? Not sure if that qualifies to be in this forum, but I always wondered how to pronounce Giacchino. Thanks.

Great work, Jay. I think the Main Theme should be known as Kirk's Theme - as it has its genesis with him (considering it's introduced (credits aside) during the labour and when he gets his pep talk in the bar), and he is the man at the centre of it all. A bit like how the SW main theme is really Luke's Theme.

I was wondering does anybody know how to pronounce his last name? Not sure if that qualifies to be in this forum, but I always wondered how to pronounce Giacchino. Thanks.

hear the german radio track on MOH: underground and change the german intonation with an italian one.

His site lists it as "Jyah-kee-noh." Wikipedia says the Italian pronuncation is "Jah-kee-noh." I've heard people who know him pronounce it "Jee-uh-kee-noh." He seems to pronounce it most like the second one, I think, which is about how I pronounce it. I any case, the G is soft, the ch is pronounced as a k, and the second i is pronounced like a long e. The pronunciation of the first (or first and second) syllable's vowels is the part people can't seem to decide on.

EDIT: That's not entirely true, Charlie - the main theme is heard several times during "Nailin' the Kelvin," before Kirk is even born, and for all I know it might be used in the unreleased material before that cue, too.

His site lists it as "Jyah-kee-noh." Wikipedia says the Italian pronuncation is "Jah-kee-noh." I've heard people who know him pronounce it "Jee-uh-kee-noh." He seems to pronounce it most like the second one, I think, which is about how I pronounce it. I any case, the G is soft, the ch is pronounced as a k, and the second i is pronounced like a long e. The pronunciation of the first (or first and second) syllable's vowels is the part people can't seem to decide on.

EDIT: That's not entirely true, Charlie - the main theme is heard several times during "Nailin' the Kelvin," before Kirk is even born, and for all I know it might be used in the unreleased material before that cue, too.

I think it still applies as Kirk's theme, since the music accompanies his mother being rushed throught he corridors of the Kelvin.

That bump on Winona Kirk? That's James Tiberius Kirk in there.

Great work, Jay. I think the Main Theme should be known as Kirk's Theme - as it has its genesis with him (considering it's introduced (credits aside) during the labour and when he gets his pep talk in the bar), and he is the man at the centre of it all. A bit like how the SW main theme is really Luke's Theme.

You're right, in fact Giacchino himself refers to it as Kirk's Theme (see posts by Chris Tilton earlier in this thread). However I don't like calling it that, just because of the number of non-Kirk-relates scenes it plays during (Uhura convincing Spock to assign her to the Enterprise, Sulu taking off his helmet and brandishing his sword on the drill platform, etc. )

It's kind of like how the TWOK liners refer to it's main theme as Kirk's Theme, even though it too has a more global use

I've reworked the main post, adding some info and renaming 3 of the themes

This is my latest thoughts on the contents of the "Expanded Release" cues... please share your thoughts as well

Behold The Narada:

0:00-0:08 ?

0:08-end Edit of 2:57-end of "Nero Sighted"

Pike's Plan:

0:00-0:43 "Red Matter", taken from "End Credits" 5:00-5:45

0:43-end This does appear to be an actual alternate to "Preparing to Jump"... must be taken from the video game. Its interesting how different it is from the film version if that's really what this is. The only thing I'm suspicious about is that the opening B Theme performance sounds like like the End Credits (7:19)

The Big Jump:

0:00-0:15 ?

0:15-0:37 Appears to actually be material looped from Nero Death Experience 1:17-1:30

0:37-1:02 Material looped from 4:57-5:04 of Nero Death Experience, I believe

1:02-2:24 Music from the actual "Drill Platform Fight" cue, must also be from the game.

2:24-2:34 "Nero Death Experience" 4:42-4:55

2:34-end "Nero Death Experience" 4:23-4:41

Also the reason I thought I heard a repeated theme is both Approaching The Drill Platform and Nero Death Experience is because I beleive in the final film, most of the "Approaching" cue is replaced by music TRACKED from "Nero Death Experience"... which is probably why the maker of the expanded score tracked the same music in there. I could be wrong, though, there's so much sound effects its not exactly easy to tell for sure

I've reworked the main post, adding some info and renaming 3 of the themes

This is my latest thoughts on the contents of the "Expanded Release" cues... please share your thoughts as well

Behold The Narada:

0:00-0:08 ?

0:08-end Edit of 2:57-end of "Nero Sighted"

Pike's Plan:

0:00-0:43 "Red Matter", taken from "End Credits" 5:00-5:45

0:43-end This does appear to be an actual alternate to "Preparing to Jump"... must be taken from the video game. Its interesting how different it is from the film version if that's really what this is. The only thing I'm suspicious about is that the opening B Theme performance sounds like like the End Credits (7:19)

The Big Jump:

0:00-0:15 ?

0:15-0:37 Appears to actually be material looped from Nero Death Experience 1:17-1:30

0:37-1:02 Material looped from 4:57-5:04 of Nero Death Experience, I believe

1:02-2:24 Music from the actual "Drill Platform Fight" cue, must also be from the game.

2:24-2:34 "Nero Death Experience" 4:42-4:55

2:34-end "Nero Death Experience" 4:23-4:41

Also the reason I thought I heard a repeated theme is both Approaching The Drill Platform and Nero Death Experience is because I beleive in the final film, most of the "Approaching" cue is replaced by music TRACKED from "Nero DEath Experience"... which is probably why the maker of the expanded score tracked the same music in there. I could be wrong, though, there's so much sound effects its not exactly easy to tell for sure

Personally, I find this material rather interesting to hear.

I'm curious as to whether anyone has extracted the sound effects from the game.

• 1 month later...

A slight update:

The 2 pieces of music are not from the OST, but are ripped from a re-recording from the Star Trek: DAC game.

The actual cues from the movie are still out there.

Also, I saw the movie in IMAX for the 10th time, and although there was some familiar sounding material around the Drill Platform, and the Approaching cue, it sounded to me like material that was different to Nero Death Experience.

giacchino likes videogame tie in to have the same musical palette as the film, that's why he does original (based on the movie) scores for videogames of his movies.

He has never used cut 'n' paste job, always different recordings so this case should not be different

Also the game's orchestra usually are smaller so it makes sense.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, if anyone's interested, I've uploaded my piano renditions of 7 tracks from the score.

Very nice !!!!

I loved those performances.

In a strange way, it reminds me of an old silent film hearing it all in piano ;)

Hey, if anyone's interested, I've uploaded my piano renditions of 7 tracks from the score.

Very nice !!!!

I loved those performances.

In a strange way, it reminds me of an old silent film hearing it all in piano ;)

Haha, thanks! People tell me that about my piano stuff fairly often. ;) If I try really hard, I can hear it, too, but I guess I'm so used to running the orchestral originals through my head as I play that I don't pay as much attention to the timbral associations of the piano itself.

Haha, thanks! People tell me that about my piano stuff fairly often. ;) If I try really hard, I can hear it, too, but I guess I'm so used to running the orchestral originals through my head as I play that I don't pay as much attention to the timbral associations of the piano itself.

Yes, and here I think you miss opportunities to make the music truly pianistic. Your transcriptions are excellent, but they are so accurate that they don't let the piano shine. There are lots of points where you use pedals, tremolandos and other such techniques to try to capture the sound of the orchestra, but it comes off as muddy. The piano, no matter how well we play it, is fundamentally a percussive instrument, not a string or wind. I'd consider being a little looser with the transcriptions and writing more for the piano. Also, I didn't like that you changed the harmonies of Courage's theme to match the original, but I obviously see why you did it. I feel like Giacchino is too talented a composer to have simply screwed up the theme. The changes he made (really just simplifying the harmonies) seem deliberate.

I'd say that's my biggest weakness when it comes to arranging for piano, Henry. It's something I've become more and more aware of over the last few years, and I'm having trouble changing it. Old habits die hard, I suppose. :P Part of the problem is that I quite simply don't have all that much recent experience playing "real" piano music; I got so fed up with my slow sight-reading skills that I've pretty much only played my own arrangements for the last six years or so. As a result, I've had a lot more fun, but my opportunities to study what makes a piece truly pianistic have been limited mostly to observation and listening. If you've got time, I would absolutely love a slightly more detailed critique of one or two passages, just so I can get a better feel for exactly what sorts of things you'd change to achieve a more idiomatic effect. ;) In addition to the general principles of using less pedal (a longtime addiction of mine) and fewer fast, orchestra-mimicking tremolos (a more recent addiction of mine), of course.

As for the Courage theme...well, it plays three times, and I kept the first two the way Giacchino did it. It was only the last one that I changed. (And the altered rhythm of the fanfare near the end.) I'm sure it was intentional, as you said, but I'm equally sure that Courage wrote it the way he wrote it on purpose, too, and I happen to like that way better. I figured it couldn't hurt to throw the original in there for one out of the three statements. :P

EDIT: Richuk, the best answer would probably be...sometimes. ;) If you want to hear a given piece, feel free to let me know, and perhaps I'll whip up an arrangement or even already have done one. But I can't make any promises...some material is either too difficult or not my cup of tea.

I'd say that's my biggest weakness when it comes to arranging for piano, Henry. It's something I've become more and more aware of over the last few years, and I'm having trouble changing it. Old habits die hard, I suppose. :P Part of the problem is that I quite simply don't have all that much recent experience playing "real" piano music; I got so fed up with my slow sight-reading skills that I've pretty much only played my own arrangements for the last six years or so. As a result, I've had a lot more fun, but my opportunities to study what makes a piece truly pianistic have been limited mostly to observation and listening. If you've got time, I would absolutely love a slightly more detailed critique of one or two passages, just so I can get a better feel for exactly what sorts of things you'd change to achieve a more idiomatic effect. ;) In addition to the general principles of using less pedal (a longtime addiction of mine) and fewer fast, orchestra-mimicking tremolos (a more recent addiction of mine), of course.

Sure. As a composition major who just stumbles through his piano lessons I don't claim to be any sort of expert - but I'll definitely take a look at a piece or two and offer suggestions. Cutting the pedal addiction is essential, of course. It's importance to recognize the difference between holding a note versus hitting a note and holding the pedal. The sound is totally different (though there are times when you'd want it). I'd also encourage you to play with the tempi and not worry about lining up with the orchestral version. The use of piano versus an orchestra can have an effect on which sort of tempi work better.

• 2 weeks later...

Indeed!

Hey, does anyone have any idea what sort of percussion is playing at the beginning of "Enterprising Young Men"? It's a clicking sort of noise that was recorded as an overlay. I'm a percussionist, but apparently not one who's well-versed enough in auxiliary percussion to figure this out.