The Official Intrada Thread

Trent B

So is the only connection between all 11 films the composer?  Is it a series somehow?  Like will it be "The [insert composer name] Collection" or "The [insert film franchise] Collection"?

That's right.  From the golden age (which means pre-1965ish IIRC)

Pretty impressive they were able to get 3 different studios to play nice together.

Also fascinating they started working on it in 2004 and its just coming out now!

I like the suggestion of Tiomkin over on the FSM thread, but I wonder if it won't be a more obscure composer.  Someone who doesn't often see modern specialty releases.  Hence lumping a crapload of music into a single release.

3 minutes ago, Jay said:

Pretty impressive they were able to get 3 different studios to play nice together.

No surprise since these days I see studios mixing movies up like cake goo. JFK, a WB film, released by Fox on blu-ray. The Addams Family, a Paramount film, released by WB on blu-ray in the US and by Fox on DVD in Australia. My Fair Lady, a Warner film, released by Paramount on blu-ray. Seems like they don't care anymore. "Ahhh just release whatever! No-one pays attention to logos anymore. No-one cares!"

I wonder what's the connection between the 11 films apart from being scored by the same composer. I'm guessing there has to be something more than just that, else just end up with "Random collection of cues by composer X". Maybe it's something from the various horror movies by the Hammer: started in the 30s all the way up to the 60s. Is there a composer that worked on many of their films?

EDIT: Oh, wait that's right, there are 3 studios involved. My bad.

To my huge surprise Roger posted in regards to their december release a soundclip that just has to be from 'Damnation Alley' though it defies all the other clues given (golden age composer). Either way, whatever it is, more Damnation-Alley-music is good news.

Here's a tease of the single disc album: https://www.dropbox.com/s/0ve8r92xpckzbc6/01%209%20Seconds%20%20%202444%20BWF.wav?dl=0

Roger Feigelson

Yes. There is some wild speculation at the FSM forum that the next batch from Intrada on Dec 5th will feature Jerry Goldsmith's DAMNATION ALLEY score (at last) after Roger Feigelson posted a 9 second clip on the Intrada forum with their frequent Mixing Engineer Chris Malone also chiming in at the FSM board. 

Roger's hint also seems to be in that direction " The second is the release of the year -- for me personally. It's not one people would have expected so it will be a bit of a surprise. But people have asked for it! '

The score's Electronic Overlay synths have been long lost and may have presented the problem of releasing them. Even though a suite was issued on The Goldsmith Box set by Varese.

What do you think? Did they find those missing synth reels finally ?

21 minutes ago, publicist said:

To my huge surprise Roger posted in regards to their december release a soundclip that just has to be from 'Damnation Alley' though it defies all the other clues given (golden age composer). 

The Golden Age title release is a 4cd set which is also being announced on the same date. 

Yeah, i thought i might have missed some info. My guess is they either completely re-did the score or grabbed the rights from Varése and recreated the synth tracks (which ui personally find a splendid idea if done with care).

Yes, I remember that it was once suggested to recreating the synths and mixing them with the surviving tracks. But I thought that this whole thing was with Varese so its still intriguing after all. Looking forward to it. 

So if the Golden Age release is indeed a Waxman compilation (which i kind of suspect) Intrada has my money for a final order this year (which i will combine with Varéses 'The Haunting').

Doug Fake’s comments;

This batch includes a 4-CD set of classic music from one of the most esteemed “golden age” composers of all time, all mastered from previously unreleased actual soundtrack sessions surviving in the Warner Bros. and MGM studio vaults. Also coming is a long-awaited gem from yet another legendary composer, in this case an incredible action score oft-requested and finally made possible due newly restored elements and newly prepared tracks once considered lost to the ages.

http://store.intrada.com/s.nl/sc.13/category.60330/.f

5 hours ago, publicist said:

To my huge surprise Roger posted in regards to their december release a soundclip that just has to be from 'Damnation Alley' though it defies all the other clues given (golden age composer). Either way, whatever it is, more Damnation-Alley-music is good news.

On 11/16/2017 at 12:49 PM, Jay said:

Intrada's final titles of the year are coming Tuesday December 5th

We'll end the year with our last two releases of the year on Dec. 5th. One I mentioned earlier is a 4-CD set guaranteed to make golden age fans very happy. The second is the release of the year -- for me personally. It's not one people would have expected so it will be a bit of a surprise. But people have asked for it!

More details as we get closer.

http://www.intrada.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=7624

movieposter.jpg

Damnation Alley was based on a novel by award-winning author Roger Zelazny. A small but hardy band of survivors of a horrific nuclear assault traverses a post-apocalypse American landscape in this sci-fi thriller. The movie is rather bad (what else is new in Goldsmith's filmography?).

Score is edgy orchestral action with lots of interesting synth work that was deemed to be lost. It's the as-of-yet lost cousin of 'Capricorn One' of the late 70's. 

12 minutes ago, Brundlefly said:

Are there just two releases in early December?

On 11/16/2017 at 12:49 PM, Jay said:

Intrada's final titles of the year are coming Tuesday December 5th

We'll end the year with our last two releases of the year on Dec. 5th. One I mentioned earlier is a 4-CD set guaranteed to make golden age fans very happy. The second is the release of the year -- for me personally. It's not one people would have expected so it will be a bit of a surprise. But people have asked for it!

More details as we get closer.

http://www.intrada.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=7624

It’s Goldsmith and I collect bottle caps so it’s an automatic buy.

Although I wouldn’t classify this one as a bottle cap.

The movie is bad, with some shots that are truly bad, even for 70’s effects.

1 hour ago, Brundlefly said:

Is Damnation Alley a must-have?

It's probably the epitome of Goldsmith's unstoppable creativity applied to atrocious filmmaking. A superb score brimful of Stravinsky-ian fury to accompany some of the most ridiculous action scenes ever filmed. I don't know what he smoked or drank in those years, but he was a flowing river of overwhelming musical genius, no matter if the film he was writing for was a masterpiece like Chinatown or an embarrassing piece like Damnation Alley.

1 hour ago, TownerFan said:

It's probably the epitome of Goldsmith's unstoppable creativity applied to atrocious filmmaking. A superb score brimful of Stravinsky-ian fury to accompany some of the most ridiculous action scenes ever filmed. I don't know what he smoked or drank in those years, but he was a flowing river of overwhelming musical genius, no matter if the film he was writing for was a masterpiece like Chinatown or an embarrassing piece like Damnation Alley.

I still wonder how anyone could ever write such a brilliant, creative and touching score to such a god awful movie like Rambo III.

Just listened to some segments available on Youtube. Sounds like a cross between Capricorn One, as pub said, percussive frenzy of Planet of the Apes and some ferocious Stravinsky-like licks. And some weird synths on top.

Yup. Buying this. My kind of Goldsmith.

Karol

11 hours ago, publicist said:

Yeah, i thought i might have missed some info. My guess is they either completely re-did the score or grabbed the rights from Varése and recreated the synth tracks (which ui personally find a splendid idea if done with care).

Varese held no rights to Damnation Alley to grab, just like every other previously-unreleased Goldsmith score they included in their Goldsmith at Fox box. In fact they almost never get perpetuity rights for their limited Club releases (why would they, if they're limited?) -- that is why LLL was able to put out their reissue (slight expansion) of Magic without dealing with Varese at all (only Fox), for one example.

But why the rumor was spread and persisted that Varese controlled Damnation Alley I will never understand, especially after Intrada reissued or expanded so many other titles premiered in the Varese Fox Box years ago, including Von Ryan's Express, The Detective, Fate Is the Hunter, and Shock Treatment. Varese started getting perpetuity rights for (most of) their *regular* (not strictly limited) releases sometime in 1989 -- that's it.

For those of you curious about the excellent music left off of the Varese box, here is a well edited suite taken from the film audio -- Intrada's new release will obviously blow it away in terms of sound quality if the clips are anything to judge by:

Yavar

24176975_10155251826572169_5443806354574

via FB: For Goldsmith fans, this is a really cool project. A world premiere of an incredible score in its entirety featuring some of his most ferocious 70's era sci-fi action writing! It began as a pipe dream of Roger's who wondered if we could get Fox on board and then get Nick to dig deep into the vaults and find every roll and then get Mike to do ambitious restorations of the entire orchestral multi-track session masters for the first time ever and then locate Jerry's sketches and scores and engage a synth expert like Leigh Phillips to newly perform the long missing electronics and then somehow have me find a way to pay for everything (haha!) and yet somehow it all came together so everyone could finally enjoy Jerry's most elusive big action score in it's entirety at last... with several previously unreleased tracks including a riveting never-before-heard cue for a scene dropped from the finished film. I sure hope you fans find the efforts worthwhile. I did. It's truly an exciting listen!