The Official Intrada Thread

Trent B

That was specified by FSM some time ago, something like they agreed on 70 minutes and then it became 100, so Goldsmith couldn't keep the schedule.

The story i heard from a fellow fan who knows Goldsmith's then-agent: Goldsmith had a short schedule and tried to reach a compromise, where he spotted more sparsely (and if you would have seen that version it would probably play as well). The powers that be decided the last minute that substantially more score was needed, Goldsmith complied/was pissed. There is a lot of repetition, especially in the second half, so i guess most of the score of the second half was partially not planned (you couldn't take much out of the first, since there are more set pieces). Also, pure mood-mongering like when Fraser is hanged probably went unscored first. So it may add up. Anyway, Goldsmith held grudges even when the film became his biggest hit in years and so there has to be some kernel of truth as he sure was no stranger to last minute rescorings etc.

If you take most of the underscore between the mirrors scene and Evy sleeping, you get nearly 30 mins. I removed that entire section from my playlist because I never found it engaging. Maybe they initially agreed to leave most of that unscored?

Probably not as easy to figure out, but judging from the lack of alternates in the movie i think it can be assumed that we are not gonna get lots of fascinating alternates: all his other alternate-heavy scores (i. e. Ghost and the Darkness) had different album arrangements that were easy to spot. I cannot remember a single released cue from 'The Mummy' that doesn't appear 1:1 in the movie.

Nor can I - I think your explanation is probably closest, and that there must be lots of brief cues dotted around the film that weren't spotted.

Actually, look at it this way: the OST is 57 mins. I can quite easily find 13 mins of music from the iso score which covers set pieces or important scenes, to make that 70 mins. The rest is mostly atmospheric, or repetitive stuff, which I can imagine Goldsmith negotiating not to score.

100 min is still about 15 mins longer than the iso score, so there must surely be something alternative or unused.

34 minutes ago, Pieter_Boelen said:

Maybe I missed something, but has there been an announcement about The Mummy?

Or what reason is there to think it is on its way?

If you didn't read recent posts in this thread before posting then yes, you missed something: The clues Roger gives, the ones he posts every other week about their new titles.  The clue is here:

http://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?/topic/17656-the-official-intrada-thread/&do=findComment&comment=1501340

If you did read that and are still confused, then I'm not sure what to tell you.  The clue pretty strongly hints at The Mummy, wouldn't you say?

On 7/9/2018 at 2:20 PM, Jay said:

The 7/10 title isn't ready on time.  The 7/24 title is ready early.

So, on 7/17, they'll announce both titles, and they'll both begin shipping right away.

Basically instead of taking our money starting Jul 10 for a title they knew wouldn't ship out to customers this week, they decided to wait and announce the Jul 10 and Jul 24 titles together as their Jul 17 titles, so as soon as they begin taking our money, both ship out, since the Jul 24 title came in early.  

1 hour ago, Jay said:

If you didn't read recent posts in this thread before posting then yes, you missed something: The clues Roger gives, the ones he posts every other week about their new titles.  The clue is here:

http://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?/topic/17656-the-official-intrada-thread/&do=findComment&comment=1501340

If you did read that and are still confused, then I'm not sure what to tell you.  The clue pretty strongly hints at The Mummy, wouldn't you say?

Indeed I did somehow miss that one. And you're right; it does sound very, VERY The Mummy.

Suits me fine! I like that one. :D

2 hours ago, Richard Penna said:

Nor can I - I think your explanation is probably closest, and that there must be lots of brief cues dotted around the film that weren't spotted.

Actually, look at it this way: the OST is 57 mins. I can quite easily find 13 mins of music from the iso score which covers set pieces or important scenes, to make that 70 mins. The rest is mostly atmospheric, or repetitive stuff, which I can imagine Goldsmith negotiating not to score.

100 min is still about 15 mins longer than the iso score, so there must surely be something alternative or unused.

The bookshelf domino cue certainly belongs to the additional 30 minutes. It seems out of place and uninspired. Like a comedic paint-by-numbers piece of music that was very hastily written.

You think so? I've always loved that cue!

Going through the full score now, I'd say there's a really solid 65 minutes in here, with most of the short cues removed and some of the repetitive/duller dramatic cues removed.

3 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I'd prefer that they announced the titles when they were initially going to, regardless of when the titles are ready to be sold/shipped.

I'd prefer that they ship them to me for free!

1 hour ago, Falafel said:

Wouldn't Conan be 3 disc like the first?

I don't know if Conan the Destroyer would have enough material to fill three discs (even if they include the original OST).

13 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I'd prefer that they announced the titles when they were initially going to, regardless of when the titles are ready to be sold/shipped.

Yep. Surely their ordering system can take orders but not take payment until dispatch?

I don't really see why they don't at least announce the titles, if the only thing holding them up is delivery to their office. Surely once all contracts are signed, it can't fall through. (or at least poses the same risk as releasing any normal CD)

14 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Patience is a virtue... 

10 hours ago, Incanus said:

I don't know if Conan the Destroyer would have enough material to fill three discs (even if they include the original OST).

Yeah, even with recorded alternates, even replicating the OST on a second disc, and even with filling out that 2nd disc with the complete score to The Adventures of Conan: Sword and Sorcery Spectacular as the Tadlow did (and remember, BSX had to pull that score from their Basil Poledouris Vol. 1 release after they'd announced it...maybe because someone else had licensed it out from under them?)

I would be beyond shocked if Conan the Destroyer was a 3 disc set. In fact I wouldn't even be surprised if it was a single disc, unless the Spectacular is being included with it.

Yavar

I have to admit that the only score of his I am really familiar with in any capacity is Labyrinth.

I think the only Trevor Jones scores I've ever bought are Cliffhanger and Dark City

21 minutes ago, Jay said:

I think the only Trevor Jones scores I've ever bought are Cliffhanger and Dark City

Trevor Jones has composed some good stuff. Fun themes in "Nate and Hayes/Savage Islands" and indeed ""Cliffhanger",

beautiful stuff in "Dinotopia" and there's something quite special about the first track of "Cleopatra" too.

On the other hand, his ""Around the World In 80 Days" is quite generic orchestral stuff that, for some reason, fails to really register with me.

9 minutes ago, Jay said:

I forgot I also randomly have the OST to his 1998 Merlin score

I like that too!  Mostly because I hardcore into that miniseries when I was 10 or 11.

5 minutes ago, Jay said:

I can't remember if I watched it or not at the time.  I probably did?

It was the age of the big budget miniseries events on network television.  My favorites were Merlin, Storm of the Century, and The 10th Kingdom.

I used to watch all the big Stephen King ones - The Stand, The Langoliers, The Tommyknockers.  Never saw The Shining or Storm of the Century though