The Official Intrada Thread

Trent B

As you know the Excalibur Collection releases are few and far between because they are expensive to produce. We came up with a new series of recordings we'd like to do and are going to try our own hand at a Kickstarter campaign, and we'll be launching the first in a few weeks. Supporting this recording not only gets it done, but also supports kicking off future recordings in the series. And if it doesn't fund, well that was that. But we want to find new and creative ways to bring some love and attention to these older scores. I would be interested in ideas of things people would like to receive for contributing. I'm working on the different giving levels now and would welcome input on things you might like to receive for supporting. Taking a page from others, we're offering advance copies of the CD, attendance at the recording for high level supporters, inclusion in the thank-yous and things like that. But welcome some fresh ideas. We've pretty much selected a conductor (you'll be thrilled) and a venue. More to come when we kick of the kickstarter!

http://www.intrada.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=7912

I wouldn't care that much about the money, but i'm also not inclined to support Golden Age recordings i have zero interest in. The tricky thing is that many great scores from the 60's onward would have to rely on special recording techniques, percussion and/or synthesizers to successfully reproduce, which might be a turn-off for labels.

3 hours ago, publicist said:

The tricky thing is that many great scores from the 60's onward would have to rely on special recording techniques, percussion and/or synthesizers to successfully reproduce, which might be a turn-off for labels.

A brand new re-recording of 100 Rifles would be cool, but for that reason I don't expect it.

Roger's clue for Tuesday's new title

A small title this time...low-budget horror webseries from a couple of years ago gets a CD release from one of our favorite horror composers.

http://www.intrada.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=7922

21 hours ago, kaseykockroach said:

Intrada sure knows what the masses want, don't they?

Do you just not want obscure scores ever getting released any more? It already happens so much more rarely than it used to. Richard Band horror scores tend to be excellent, so let's at least hold judgement until sound clips are put up perhaps? I miss Intrada's Signatures Editions line of more obscure scores done for composers they had a special relationship with (Randy Miller's Spartacus was darn good stuff!)...this feels very much in that vein even if it's technically in their Special Collection line.

Yavar

I'm just amused how often labels say "We can't release that, too obscure, sorry!" and then putting out stuff like that. And when it's something popular that people actually wanted like Mummy Returns, they butcher it.

I'm not sure I've seen label owners use "too obscure" as a reason something hasn't been released very often.  Usually it's "tied up in rights issues", "studio executives not interested" or other such bureaucratic reasons.

4 minutes ago, kaseykockroach said:

I'm just amused how often labels say "We can't release that, too obscure, sorry!"

Can you please link me to some examples of this happening?

I wouldn't stress about a lack of popular titles. When I look back at the past decade or so it's amazing how "complete" our collections have become. Some of those titles I wouldn't even dream of owning back in 2008. And even some of those "obscure" scores turned out to be real gems. For someone like myself, born in mid-1980's it has been quite an educational time. Some of those went out of print long before I started serious collecting.

Karol

1 hour ago, crocodile said:

I wouldn't stress about a lack of popular titles. When I look back at the past decade or so it's amazing how "complete" our collections have become. Some of those titles I wouldn't even dream of owning back in 2008.

Yeah, I never dreamt about Ravenwolf Towers. 

:lol:

1 hour ago, kaseykockroach said:

Rest assured, I'm not annoyed at the matter, just cheekily amused. Save the aforementioned Child's Play 2, pretty much all my holy grails have been answered. 

Image result for spanish inquisition meme

http://www.intrada.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7948

40042202_10155906159012169_5494629044198
DIAL M FOR MURDER - KICKSTARTER CAMPAIGN
Music Composed by DIMITRI TIOMKIN
Conducted by WILLIAM T. STROMBERG

Alfred Hitchcock's decade-spanning career involved many top composers, resulting in some of the finest film music composed for the cinema. Many recordings of the earlier works haven't survived, making it impossible to enjoy them outside of their films. Intrada is embarking on a mission to record some of these scores, and you are instrumental in making this happen.

The initial recording is composer Dimitri Tiomkin's final collaboration with Alfred Hitchcock, the 1954 thriller Dial M for Murder. Intrada chose this title because of Tiomkin's striking score. It accentuates an elegant thriller and features the knock-out star power of Ray Milland, Robert Cummings, John Williams and Grace Kelly (her first of four productions with Hitchcock, and whose introduction to the director was facilitated by Tiomkin).

Your support for this recording not only helps make this recording possible, but encourages future campaigns for a series of recordings that could include Shadow of a Doubt, Strangers on a Train, Suspicion, The Man Who Knew Too Much and many many more possibilities. And that's just Hitchcock! With your continued support there is no limit to what we could do — Jungle Book, The Haunting, Joan of Arc, Face of a Fugitive, Black Patch — who knows where this can lead us. Each project is expensive and time intensive to put together, and we need your help to make this and future titles available. The cost of undertaking a reconstruction and new recording are too high to recuperate their costs through the normal way of doing business.

For this release, Intrada has engaged the highly esteemed William T. Stromberg, who previously created a stunning recording of Tiomkin's Red River. Stromberg previously recorded many scores for the Marco Polo label, including early works by Max Steiner and Hans Salter, and then with his own label, Tribute, that boasted recordings of Bernard Herrmann including Mysterious Island and Battle of Neretva. Stromberg knows classic film scores and knows first hand the complexity and nuances of Tiomkin's work, enabling him to deliver a stellar recording of Dial M for Murder.

Intrada itself has been involved in many restoration and recording projects, including three with the prestigious Sinfonia of London — Miklós Rózsa's Ivanhoe and Julius Caesar, and Bernard Herrmann's Jason and the Argonauts, not to mention later albums of Rozsa's brilliant Red House and Spellbound, recorded in Scotland and Bratislava respectively.

The score will be assembled with the assistance of Tiomkin expert Patrick Russ and the composer's own publishing company and recorded with the Slovak National Symphony Orchestra in the Slovak Radio Concert Hall.

Please join us on this journey to start recording some classic scores to legendary Alfred Hitchcock films. We can't make it without your support!

To participate in the campaign, please visit:

I would have preferred a Herrmann recording (wasn't that in the cards?) But I hope this venture succeeds. A full recording of Rozsa's SAHARA or VALLEY OF THE KINGS would have been my choice.

Next week's clue:

The '80s was an interesting time, as a teen, to be really discovering film music. There were so many great scores coming out left and right by Goldsmith, Williams, Broughton, Barry, Morricone, Horner...Delerue, North. Just went on and on. But it was also the era where I'd walk into Tower Records and pick up the Ghostbusters album and see, wait...what? Just two cuts? Main Theme? Is that the cool opening scene in the library (it wasn't). Well, here's Karate Kid...ugh...no score at all? The Goonies...one track? Here's Gremlins...what the hell is a mini lp? It went on and on like that for years, but thankfully all of these I mentioned have been corrected. There are a few more minor ones that still haven't been addressed, two of which we're working on. One comes to you next week from the mid-80s. A harmless comedy with a big name composer attached. Not a substantial score but more than was represented by the two cuts on the LP. We include the vocals, too. And since it's still a relatively brief album, we've included enough alternates to make your head spin. 

See you Monday evening.

Karol

25 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Legal Eagles?

Roger's clue said the title in question only had 2 score cuts on the OST LP, and it looks like the Leagal Eagles OST album was mostly score, with 3 non-score cuts

http://www.soundtrackcollector.com/title/29357/

People on FSM think it's Beetlejuice which makes no sense as it also is a mostly score album with 2 non-score cuts.... and it's from 1988, which is not the mid 80s.

1 minute ago, Jay said:

Roger's clue said the title in question only had 2 score cuts on the OST LP, and it looks like the Leagal Eagles OST album was mostly score with 3 non-score cuts

http://www.soundtrackcollector.com/title/29357/

Ah. Bernstein is definitely the first that springs to mind when you hear 80s comedy, big name composer.  But I don't see any other mid-80s score for him that could fit.

On 8/30/2018 at 9:30 AM, Corellian2019 said:

Sounds like Goldsmith's The Lonely Guy. @Yavar Moradi would be happy

Indeed I am! A delightful score through and through! In fact it's my favorite Goldsmith score of 1984 by process of elimination (elements of each of the others bother me, so IMO the competition isn't great that year):

1. The Lonely Guy
2. Gremlins

3. Supergirl

4. Runaway

Yavar

Goldsmith basically confirmed. Quote from Doug's Corner (emphasis mine):

Second is a head’s up re our new CD release for this coming Tuesday, September 4. “They’re just bottle caps, Doug” was the now familiar comment the composer made to me (and many others over the years) during a lunch meeting way back when. But this one is a bit more. Only a few moments of the composer’s score made it out on records. Now you’ll be able to enjoy it all, including oodles of alternates, mastered from pristine stereo session mixes vaulted by the studio involved. Artwork, contents and sound samples will be posted here at Intrada on Monday evening prior. Orders begin shipping on Tuesday the 4th. As they used to say back in the 50’s, “Be there or be square.”

• 2 weeks later...

Hmmm features music you say? A 2-CD set? Must be the E.T. Botanicus Sessions double disc extraordinaire release. Now in even more muffled sound quality recorded straight from the theme park ride.

18 minutes ago, Incanus said:

Hmmm features music you say? A 2-CD set? Must be the E.T. Botanicus Sessions double disc extraordinaire release. Now in even more muffled sound quality recorded straight from the theme park ride.

The only thing that could bring Justin back!

28 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

The only thing that could bring Justin back!

But only if it had enough dynamic range!