The Official Intrada Thread

Trent B

38 minutes ago, Steve McQueen said:

Yeah, I knew about that Bartok inspiration.  Just different enough not to ruffle my feathers, but clearly it formed the basis of Horner's opening.

Yeah but combined with all of the Prokofiev (listen to the October Cantata clip I posted, for one example) it starts to add up in distracting fashion. Still, I'd buy an expanded Land Before Time in a heartbeat. Perhaps Balto is the first of several Universal animated Horner expansions....

Yavar

http://www.intrada.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=80454#p80454

Roger Feigelson said:

I almost forgot! We have a second release. Two scores on one CD. Same composer (and a class act as well). Both TV movies from the mid-80s. One featuring an actress I had such a crush on back in high school... Okay, TMI.

On 10/27/2018 at 12:12 AM, Yavar Moradi said:

Yeah but combined with all of the Prokofiev (listen to the October Cantata clip I posted, for one example) it starts to add up in distracting fashion. Still, I'd buy an expanded Land Before Time in a heartbeat. Perhaps Balto is the first of several Universal animated Horner expansions....

I am only bothered by the Peter and the Wolf stuff, the more lyrical stuff doesn't bother me. One buys these for updated (note how i din't say *bettered*) sound quality.

Doug's Corner

10/27/2018

Ok so this time it’s the 80’s and the 90’s. Two scores on one CD from two Fox TV movies from the 80’s by the same popular composer plus 1 greatly expanded 79-minute CD from a Universal film score released in the 90’s by another popular composer. Both artists notched Academy Awards into their belts during their highly successful careers. Artwork, contents and audio samples will be posted on our site Monday eve, October 29. Orders will begin shipping on Tuesday the 30th.

http://store.intrada.com/s.nl/sc.13/category.60330/.f?fbclid=IwAR3_2_M9ZgkfmkyjZOrL78viyUVrf-hTT4xInkv2zOvbJ0KK98hFYxPo1hE

1 minute ago, Laserschwert said:

The second one could be Apollo 13?

Nah, they already confirmed it isn't. But it's almost 100% Balto by James Horner. It fits all the clues.

Karol

On 10/26/2018 at 11:30 PM, Yavar Moradi said:

There are bits of Cantata for the October Revolution, Romeo & Juliet, and even Peter and the Wolf all throughout Land Before Time.

Horner pillaged Prokofiev's October Cantata also in Willow (General Kael's music) and mostly in Red Heat.

Willow is probably the only one where Horner's lame attempt to rationalize the loads of uncredited thefts makes some sense: the sheer amount of quotes and how effortless they play off against each other (different idioms/musical epochs) is masterful in a homage-y kind of way. 

Many others are not. Simple as that. And of course they are not better than the source (in some cases they are the same). They are just put behind a big, splashy fantasy movie et voilá: suddenly they make sense! *cf unnamed moviefan#459

On 10/28/2018 at 2:19 PM, NL197 said:

For someone who hates Horner as much, it’s curious that one of his more borrowed scores is so highly sought. 

You want "borrowed"?

I listened to COLLAGE, the other day. I thought it was a whole bunch of musical outtakes, from STAR TREK:II. Dreadful.

• 2 weeks later...

A clue for two next week's releases:

One is the premiere release of a score to a family adventure from the early '90s. You may not have ever heard of it. The second (if it comes in on time) is a legendary release of an early '80s adventure/western -- straight reissue of the original LP. That's all there was folks.

Karol

FSM people suggest Legend of the Lone Ranger by John Barry as the second title.

The first one...is there any unreleased James Horner from the early 90's?

Karol

Yes, there's a whole section of the movie missing.  Between "Escape From the Tavern" and their, er, escape from the snowy mountain village (the beginning of "Canyon of Mazes").

I did those isolated score videos using the OST, so I have a reasonably good grasp of what's there and what's not now.

Here's the lengths per some wicked old DVD rips I've had on a hard drive for like 2 decades or something

01-highaldwyn (1:44)
02-Death-Dog-Attack (2:17)
03-general-kael (1:13)
04-madmartigan (1:10)
05-cherlindrea (5:34)
06-inthetavern-1 (1:15)
07-dustofbrokenheart (0:28)
08-inthetavern-2 (1:45)
09-thesearchgoeson (0:32)
10-finraziel (3:42)
11-capture (1:48)
12-trekinsnow (1:13)
13-snowyescape (7:52)

TOTAL TIME - 30:33

All the actual cue names are known now thanks to Omni's release of the complete sheet music.