The Official Intrada Thread

Trent B

http://www.intrada.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=8069

APOLLO 13
Music Composed and Conducted by JAMES HORNER
INTRADA ISC 415

Intrada kicks off 2019 with a 2-CD set showcasing James Horner's stunning, Oscar-nominated score to the Universal Pictures film Apollo 13. The film was nominated for nine Academy Awards, winning for Best Sound Mixing and Best Film Editing. The film recounts the harrowing true-life story of the Apollo 13 mission that fails when an oxygen tank explodes, crippling the command module en route to the moon. The astronauts and Mission Control desperately team to prevent the capsule from drifting off into space or burning up during reentry. On film, the Apollo 13 team had composer James Horner along for the flight to envelop the audience in the astronauts' dire circumstances and hope for a safe return to earth. 

For this tale of quiet nobility and brilliant professionalism, director Ron Howard agreed with Horner not to turn Apollo 13 into an action movie, but convey patriotism and the American spirit instead, giving the score a majestic, sometimes ethereal soul. The main theme is correspondingly elegant, particularly when rendered with virtuosic grace by trumpet soloist Tim Morrison. While the astronauts triumph in what seemed certain disaster, their mission ultimately failed – a juxtaposition Horner musically captures with the haunting vocalise of Scottish singer-songwriter Annie Lennox.

At the time of the film's release, MCA released a concept album featuring period vocals, dialog and portions of Horner's score interspersed throughout. Horner had prepared a 59-minute score-only presentation for release, which was the original intent, before it morphed into the concept album. Nonetheless, MCA pressed up a limited number of promotional copies for Oscar consideration, featuring a black-and-white version of the cover. For this new edition, producer Mike Matessino accessed the 192k 24bit high-resolution transfers of Shawn Murphy’s original mixes on 1/2” tape, with all performance edits meticulously recreated. Disc one features the complete score, with the synthesizer tracks in a suite after the main orchestral program, while disc two recreates the original 59-minute program Horner had originally intended.

INTRADA ISC 415
Barcode: 720258541505
Retail Price: $29.99
NOW SHIPPING
For track listing and sound samples, please visit the Apollo 13 soundtrack page.
http://store.intrada.com/s.nl?it=A&id=11453

Our review is forthcoming. 

Nice assembly idea - I liked most of the electronic cues except the 'Nightmare' one. That's barely music.

Ordered this and The Mummy Returns (had been waiting for a score to pair it with to save shipping).

Nice. I'll play Horner's album assembly the most (as I already do...), Matessino's orchestral program second most, and a chronological program on rare occasions when I'm feeling especially anal. 😂

So the electronic cues are separated. And the alternates are not included.

Electronic cues:

3m1 Marilyn's Nightmare

7m0 Explosion

7m3 Bad News

8m2 Out Of Control

8m3 Odyssey Shutdown

10m2 A New Problem (Unused) 12m3 Pre-Manual Burn

15m1 Distant Thoughts

Not sure if it is corset. I guess by track time.

2 minutes ago, ManofDestiny said:

So the electronic cues are separated. And the alternates are not included.

Except for the alternates in Horner's intended album program, yes. Personally, I consider the remaining alternates no great loss, but will hold onto them thanks to the bootleg.

The sound quality seems to be much better than I expected. Thanks to all involved.Did you guys notice the 'exclusion' of the famous movie quote on the cd back cover.LOL!

It's accurate but "Aquaris" is just a typo. It's Aquarius. 

Just now, Erik Woods said:

Ummm... the artwork is... really... bad.

http://store.intrada.com/core/media/media.nl?id=16596&c=ACCT67745&h=60fdd4318b80012845c3

media.nl?id=16595&c=ACCT67745&h=7218f8e0

media.nl?id=16596&c=ACCT67745&h=60fdd431

-Erik-

It's of the same resolution as what we were given. Typically images are low resolution but text and colored panels are high resolution. I suspect it's just for preview purposes. 

I like the Failure quote over the Houston quote. That one's been done and then some. 

6 minutes ago, NL197 said:

It's accurate but "Aquaris" is just a typo. It's Aquarius. 

It's of the same resolution as what we were given. Typically images are low resolution but text and colored panels are high resolution. I suspect it's just for preview purposes. 

I like the Failure quote over the Houston quote. That one's been done and then some. 

I'm talking about the obviously BAD photoshop work.  You can CLEARLY see the cutout of the APOLLO 13 title on BOTH covers and the really shoddy deletion of the "Houston, We Have A Problem" quote right above the LEM.  The border work on the Hanks cover looks like it was created with a black sharpie. 

Yikes!

-Erik-

I know what you're talking about. This likely needs a quick contrast adjustment to make it all blend. 

I had made a cover for my own use several years ago, but I would likely change the font now: 

APOLLO 13 Complete Score front cover REVISED.jpg

6 hours ago, Erik Woods said:

I'm talking about the obviously BAD photoshop work.  You can CLEARLY see the cutout of the APOLLO 13 title on BOTH covers and the really shoddy deletion of the "Houston, We Have A Problem" quote right above the LEM.  The border work on the Hanks cover looks like it was created with a black sharpie. 

Yikes!

-Erik-

Also lots of clone-stamping artifacts above Hanks' head to remove the actors' names (although there's already a version of the poster available without the names in that area). I REALLY hope this is not the final art, which would be embarassing.

Or people might just be not sure where to look. The Apollo 13 black paintbrush wiggle above the spacecraft and the clone stamps above Hanks are definitely the worst out of these.

Wow, I hadn't looked properly at the Apollo 13 cover last night - the moon one particularly is really badly done. The cutout around the title is both obvious and very roughly done. It must've been done on a display that wasn't showing the colours correctly.

Creatively it's good - I've been using Trent's one which has the same composition.

Apollo 13 is a must-buy for me. I might bundle it with some more Horner or Goldsmith Intrada releases.

Anyway... in the midst of all this Apollo 13 on FSM artwork debate Roger mentioned something quite interesting:

An audio anomaly on a CD that people pay for is an urgent priority to get fixed. No one pays for the graphics and as time permits we can update the art, but sometimes we just forget and/or get consumed with the next priority project. Just sent another Horner score to the plant. Putting them up was a good deed -- that as with many good deeds doesn't go unpunished!

What could it be? What could it be? :lol:

Karol

I hope it's WILLOW!

It could be LOADS of things, really.  Intrada has great relationships with lots of studios Horner did scores for, and he was prolific for all of them