The Official Intrada Thread

Trent B

Info for Feb 28th release

We'll still announce on Monday but it won't ship until later in the week. It's a golden age title from the late 50s. First release from us stretching that far back from this studio's catalog. It includes the full score from the film, plus one side of an LP that had part of the score re-recorded. Otherside of the LP was unrelated material that wouldn't be of much interest.

http://www.intrada.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=8100

1 hour ago, Jay said:

unrelated material that wouldn't be of much interest.

I guarantee at least two people on FSM will be in a complete outrage since that throwaway unrelated material remastered or rebuilt was their Holy Grail.

3 minutes ago, Holko said:

I guarantee at least two people on FSM will be in a complete outrage since that throwaway unrelated material remastered or rebuilt was their Holy Grail.

Thor? :sarcasm:

5 minutes ago, Jay said:

How many late 1950s Rozsa LPs were re-recordings that had unrelated material on side B?

I haven't studied his LP programs in detail except for Ben-Hur.

7 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Seems boring.

Based on what? Just the title? You might give sound samples a listen first before you just make that announcement. Personally I’m interested to hear what this is like. I enjoy Bruns’s score to 101 Dalmatians and his awesome Tchaikovsky adaptation for Sleeping Beauty. I don’t really know his work in live action so I’m quite interested to hear this, and them going so far back in the Disney vaults makes me hopeful they might tackle Clifton Parker’s Treasure Island or Robin Hood....or William Alwyn’s Swiss Family Robinson.

Yavar

4 hours ago, Yavar Moradi said:

Based on what? Just the title? You might give sound samples a listen first before you just make that announcement. Personally I’m interested to hear what this is like. I enjoy Bruns’s score to 101 Dalmatians and his awesome Tchaikovsky adaptation for Sleeping Beauty. I don’t really know his work in live action so I’m quite interested to hear this, and them going so far back in the Disney vaults makes me hopeful they might tackle Clifton Parker’s Treasure Island or Robin Hood....or William Alwyn’s Swiss Family Robinson.

Yavar

It seems you like everything with the label "film music". I'd say it's healthy with a critical approach, as there's so much good orchestral music out there that surpasses many a mediocre film score.

:)

I didn’t say I liked the score; I said I looked forward to hearing sound samples. There are many film scores and pieces of music in general that I don’t like...I frankly don’t even understand your insulting comments in light of what I wrote.

You on the other hand seem predisposed to think in a judgemental and negative way of this release Intrada has clearly spent time and money to produce, without hearing a single sound clip. And then you insult my taste when I clearly wasn’t even familiar with this score! What’s the point? Just to make yourself feel superior?

Gotta tell ya, after what you wrote basically scolding me to be more discerning, the smiley face just makes you come off as even more of a jerk.

Yavar

3 hours ago, Yavar Moradi said:

I didn’t say I liked the score; I said I looked forward to hearing sound samples. There are many film scores and pieces of music in general that I don’t like...I frankly don’t even understand your insulting comments in light of what I wrote.

You on the other hand seem predisposed to think in a judgemental and negative way of this release Intrada has clearly spent time and money to produce, without hearing a single sound clip. And then you insult my taste when I clearly wasn’t even familiar with this score! What’s the point? Just make yourself feel superior?

Gotta tell ya, after what you wrote basically scolding me to be more discerning, the smiley face just makes you come off as even more of a jerk.

Yavar

You're the one who implied that I dismissed the score based solely on its title, so don't come here playing all innocent.

21 hours ago, Bryant Burnette said:

Been meaning to block Jurassic Shark for a while.  Thanks for reminding me to do it.

I rather like Jurassic Shark's comments generally, but his inexplicable asshole-ish-ness toward Yavar is making me consider adding him to the good ol' ignore list myself.

2/24/2019

Join us here on Tuesday for our newest Intrada CD release, turning the wheels backwards many decades to examine some exciting orchestral music from a period Disney film. We get mail asking us to pay attention to the legendary studio’s vintage years and not just their post-70’s soundtracks so for you folks - and everyone else, of course - here’s one from yesteryear.

And in a more-recent yesteryear tidbit, dating from 1995, and one just for fun, Jeff and I were processing orders during a summer afternoon when the phone rang. I reached out to answer it. Jerry Goldsmith was on the other end. His hello was brief and he jumped right into the purpose of his call. How were the sales on the new CD for First Knight? For anyone wondering if he cared about such things, the call kinda proves he did… albeit with qualifications. I said it was doing well, having literally just come in stock. I then told him the activity on Congo was also doing well. That’s the movie of his that came out I think just a few weeks prior to First Knight. He literally said “I don’t care about that one. I’m just wondering about First Knight.” Hence the qualifications. Sometimes he cared about how well his music was being received. Sometimes he didn’t.

Amusing Goldsmith tidbit!

On 2/23/2019 at 12:49 AM, Jurassic Shark said:

You're the one who implied that I dismissed the score based solely on its title, so don't come here playing all innocent.

I really didn't mean to start a fight; I just thought your "sounds boring" was unnecessarily dismissive of something Intrada clearly put a lot of time and effort into releases, when it seemed you didn't even know the score or film at all. I didn't *imply* anything in response; in fact I asked you a question which you neglected to answer: "Based on what? Just the title? You might give sound samples a listen first before you just make that announcement."

I'm not sure what you would have been basing your dismissive reaction on at the time, besides the title...but I did give you the benefit of the doubt by phrasing it as a question so you could have corrected me and said, "No, based on THIS: _____" (which you again, did not do). So you can clear me all up on this by telling me now: what did you dismiss this release on at the time, apart from the title? I am more than happy to have my baseless suspicion dispelled. ;)

Yavar

On 2/26/2019 at 8:52 PM, Yavar Moradi said:

I really didn't mean to start a fight; I just thought your "sounds boring" was unnecessarily dismissive of something Intrada clearly put a lot of time and effort into releases, when it seemed you didn't even know the score or film at all. I didn't *imply* anything in response; in fact I asked you a question which you neglected to answer: "Based on what? Just the title? You might give sound samples a listen first before you just make that announcement."

I'm not sure what you would have been basing your dismissive reaction on at the time, besides the title...but I did give you the benefit of the doubt by phrasing it as a question so you could have corrected me and said, "No, based on THIS: _____" (which you again, did not do). So you can clear me all up on this by telling me now: what did you dismiss this release on at the time, apart from the title? I am more than happy to have my baseless suspicion dispelled. ;)

Yavar

Hi Yavar, I agree that my first reply to you was a tad harsh, and for that I apologize. However, I maintain that "You might give sound samples a listen first before you just make that announcement" sounds quite biased and dismissive.

When I read about the release here on JWFan, I naturally checked out the few relevant clips I could find on the website www.youtube.com, which I believe you've heard of, and to me the clips were quite disappointing. But that's OK. No composer, even of the caliber of Bruns, hits gold every time. Hopefully there's some better cues on the Intrada release.

• 2 weeks later...

Update from Roger at Intrada board

In fact we have many albums done stuck in approvals so March may not have much. But a glimpse of some composers you can expect to see over the next several months - Joel McNeely, John Barry, Jerry Goldsmith, Basil Poledouris (sigh), Bill Conti, John Williams, James Horner, Hugo Friedhofer, Bruce Broughton, Craig Safan, Chris Young, Lalo Schifrin, Sylvester Levay and more!

http://www.intrada.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=8108

Let the speculation begin!  Wonder what the JW release will be?!?!?!  Maybe an expanded Spacecamp?  I'm not too familiar with the score so not sure what all is unreleased.  Perhaps Monsignor?

Excited about the Goldsmith, Horner, and Williams!

If the Schifrin is EARTH STAR VOYAGER I will dance a jig for weeks!

We should probably speculate about the Williams title over in the JW forum, and speculate about all the other composers here

47 minutes ago, Holko said:

The Studio list says Intrada did Monsignor in 2007 but it was not expanded. A redo, maybe?

That would have been great actually! I haven't got any album of this.

As for Horner...judging by Intrada's pattern I'd expect either The Land Before Time or An American Tail: Fievel Goes West. Either of which would be great!

Karol

32 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

Why Poledouris (sigh?) Don't do it on my account, Roger...

I'm assuming he's sighing because it took so long for Conan The Destroyer to wrap up, or he's sighing because it's not Conan the Destroyer and he knows everyone will ask about it

26 minutes ago, Holko said:

And if we're in that territory: how bout newly found first gen sources for NIMH as the Goldsmith one? ;) 

21 minutes ago, crocodile said:

Now that would excite me.

Karol

I've never seen that movie; Is the additional music from that that still hasn't been released a true missing highlight of the score?  Or just "would be nice to have" type cues?

I think the only Horner score that would get me is Willow, so I hope it's that.

After The Mummy, I'm happy without any Goldsmith, with the exception of an affordable rerelease of The Burbs.

Based on the sigh, I'm assuming the Poledouris is the long-gestating Conan sequel. 

I'll buy pretty much any Williams, assuming it's not a reissue of something I already have.

Willow is my last remaining Horner grail too, other than Romeo and Juliet, which would be for a completely different reason

Goldsmith I still really want Air Force One, though that's Varese obviously

13 minutes ago, Jay said:

I've never seen that movie; Is the additional music from that that still hasn't been released a true missing highlight of the score?  Or just "would be nice to have" type cues?

It's more of the latter...and upgraded sound. The last Intrada album was fine enough but I really do like the score (not so much the songs).

And yes, Willow is high up on my grail list at the moment. But I feel like they will carry on going through the MCA catalogue.

Karol

I just watched NIMH a month ago and quite liked it: gorgeous to look at and doesn't condescend to its primary intended audience. Haven't heard the OST but I know it's a Grail, if only for its unavailability.

3 hours ago, El Jefe said:

I wonder what the (sign) was next to Poledouris’ name meant?

4 hours ago, Jay said:

I'm assuming he's sighing because it took so long for Conan The Destroyer to wrap up, or he's sighing because it's not Conan the Destroyer and he knows everyone will ask about it

What are the last great Poledouris scores that have never been expanded, or never released at all?

1 hour ago, Jay said:

What are the last great Poledouris scores that have never been expanded, or never released at all?

https://filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=94331&forumID=1&archive=0

That list is reasonably complete and up to date. Hot Shots Part Deux and For Love of the Game are the two main Varese-controlled titles yet to be expanded. (I don't know if there's any remaining music left for It's My Party or Wired.)

Les Miserables is a biggie for me, because it's my single favorite Poledouris score and the existing album is incomplete and weirdly squished into four suite tracks. But what I want most of all is a complete release for his sweeping orchestral score for Free Willy 2. I'd buy an expansions of the first score as well, but the sequel is better: more orchestral and developed with great new themes added to the existing ones. It was a clear leap forward but nobody realizes how good it is because the soundtrack album only had three cues/10 minutes (compared with 30 minutes of score on the original's soundtrack album). Serial Mom is another really strong (exciting and delightful) orchestral score which deserves an expansion, in part because the MCA album features intrusive dialogue.

The most significant possible expansion might be Amerika, since it was a lengthy epic miniseries, and the Prometheus album was only a single disc.

I guess I'm most hoping for a Lassie expansion, because that original album was on Sony so I guess this is the last chance for a complete release!

Yavar

I rank it behind Basil's second, but I do really like it too. Ideally I'd buy a box set expansion of all three scores, but Eidelman's is owned by Varese in perpetuity. Which pretty soon will be a better situation than Basil's first two scores, because they were released by Sony. :( I'd forgotten, but just like Lassie the chances of expanding them will soon evaporate.

Yavar