The Official Intrada Thread

Trent B

Maybe Fielding “does nothing for” you precisely because you’ve “never heard of this movie or score”? ;)

This is easily my favorite score of Fielding’s...a unique dark western masterpiece.

Yavar

Since the complete score is only 33 minutes, why in the world didn't they include the LP program either before or after the complete score presentation on the same disc?  Disappointing.

Intrada is releasing the physical CD for Gregory Tripi's Ma score

https://vehlinggo.com/2019/05/22/gregory-tripi-ma-score/

The OST is already out digitally everywhere

https://open.spotify.com/album/5gNPSs3OhKnGvsq99rIL6H?si=O2jhN_BBRYGbVZcbSL5rjQ

On 5/21/2019 at 3:46 PM, Jay said:

Since the complete score is only 33 minutes, why in the world didn't they include the LP program either before or after the complete score presentation on the same disc?  Disappointing.

Wouldn't that be more expensive for them?

30 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Wouldn't that be more expensive for them?

No.  Why would it be?

27 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

If the rights to the LP program were seperate, it would. Or maybe they couldn't aquire them?

That's not correct, rights aren't for the "program", they are for the content.  The content is already on the disc (this wasn't a re-recording), so it wouldn't have cost them anything to put the LP program before or after the complete program.  Kritzerland does this all the time with short enough scores.

Roger Feigelson

This is a reissue of an earlier Intrada release that was originally just a straight LP issue. Not only do we have a much better master of that LP program, but we have the complete program as well. The mix is a little different on the complete program so we're presenting both on this new release. Film dates from the early '80s.

http://www.intrada.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=8163&sid=a61321cbef99acbb44771532ae32084a

Monsignor?

2 hours ago, El Jefe said:

Hmm I think there was a discussion in last years London concert meeting with Mike Matessino with the fans  about a possible redux of MONSIGNOR title ! And we know John Williams being on Intrada's 2019 agenda list so it could be possibly be just that ?. Lets see.

4 hours ago, Faleel J.M. said:

Would be nice if so, it would fill a gap in my collection.

That would be great. I haven't got this one.

Karol

Roger Feigelson posted on Friday

One more title we're announcing Monday is a score from this decade. A low-budget fantasy/horror score from one of our favorite low-budget fantasy/horror composers. This is a cool one, too.

http://www.intrada.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=8163&start=15

On 5/31/2019 at 8:18 PM, Yavar Moradi said:

"World CD premiere of pivotal John Williams soundtrack to Frank Perry drama with Christopher Reeve, Genevieve Bujold. After string of wildly popular scores for fantasy & adventure movies (JAWS, STAR WARS, SUPERMAN, RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK, E.T.) John Williams gets initial opportunity to offer serious, involved work. Important landmarks include expressive solo trumpet theme plus dense, somber string writing that foreshadows later JFK, NIXON, MUNICH music. Magnificent highlight: powerful "Gloria" for full orchestra plus massive choir with organ! Space opera fans will be happy Williams also manages nod to signature style with rousing "Meeting in Sicily" music, replete with allegro woodwinds, soaring French horns, resplendent brass fanfares. Composer prepares original 1982 LP with nearly complete score, omits only 3 minutes of music but adds 10 minutes not used in movie. Intrada presents dynamic CD from original master elements courtesy UMG. John Williams conducts London Symphony Orchestra."

http://store.intrada.com/s.nl/it.A/id.5552/.f

So this seems very likely. I wonder if the added 10 minutes were cues that went unused in the film, or concert arrangements like those five cues (~15 minutes) on Jane Eyre that weren't in the film. If the latter, it makes perfect sense that the complete film recording *and* original album would fit on a single disc here. If they were unused cues originally in the film (with the possibility of other ones existing that were left off both film and album), I might be more unsure of the ability to fit both programs on a single CD.

I'm fairly sure the "10 minutes not used in the movie" remark refers to "The Meeting in Sicily" and "At the Forum", both of which are concert-like arrangements that do not appear in the film. As for the unreleased music, it's known there are only a couple of cues missing (one of which can be heard almost in its entirety here). If they unearthed the original scoring sessions masters, perhaps they discovered some more music that never appeared in the film nor on the OST album. At the London meet-up with Mike Matessino last October, former LSO member Rodney Newton said Williams recorded more music than what ended up being used in the film, but he didn't specify. Anyway, whatever more unreleased music might be, I think it'll amount at a few minutes.

The clues also fit about the sound mix. The film has different takes and mix than the OST (especially the "Gloria in excelsis deus" piece).

http://store.intrada.com/s.nl/sc.13/category.60330/.f

From Doug's Corner, hope it's Monsignor since I missed it the first time around!

Busy week in our office right now. Ma, the latest horror movie from prolific Blumhouse Productions, released through Universal, just arrived in theaters and Intrada offers the soundtrack CD this week. Gregory Tripi tackles the atmospheric and scary scoring duties. Also coming in this week are not one but two more CDs, one premiering yet more scary soundtrack music from one of our favorite veterans of the genre, as well as an expansion of a masterful 80’s title scored by a true master. Artwork, contents and sound samples will be available here tomorrow (June 3) eve. See you then!

• 2 weeks later...

First clue for next week's title

Premiere CD release of a great horror/sci-fi score from earlier this year. Very prolific composer and new to the Intrada label.

http://www.intrada.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=8182

Did Bear McCreary score something that isn't on CD yet?

EDIT: Apparently "Happy Death Day 2U" is considered both horror and sci-fi, and had a download/streaming only OST on Backlot Music (just like Backdraft II which later got a physical CD by Intrada), so that's sorted then

“More scary music coming your way this Tuesday with Intrada’s latest new CD. It’s an orchestral frightmare. Compelling, energetic, full of musical twists and turns. It’s also our first time working with this popular composer, too. Look for artwork, contents and audio samples on our site this coming Monday eve, June the 17th and order if you you’re brave enough… or even if you just want some great new soundtrack music to enjoy!”

I’m more interested in this quote from Doug Fake.

More cool news. Currently working on one of my favorite soundtracks from the 60’s era. Our plan was to present the original album on CD in the best audio it has ever displayed but in a wonderful stroke of good fortune, the master elements we located revealed not only the pristine condition tapes we had sought but also the previously unreleased complete soundtrack, which had long since been determined to be lost to the ages. What a joy it is when discoveries like this happen… and what a joy to own this one should be for fans of this famous and prolific composer who during this period created one masterpiece after another. Stay tuned!

18 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Goldsmith, Herrmann.

I would think anything left unreleased of Goldsmith’s scores from the 60s would not be considered masterpieces. Same for Herrmann, unless it’s Psycho. 

There’s some speculation over at FSM that they may have found Bernstein’s Hallelujah Trail.

I could think of a few others, Laurence Of Arabia, Mysterious Island, In Harm’s Way (again), It’s A Mad Mad Mad Mad World or Zulu.

granted several of those composers weren’t on Roger’s list of artists the had upcoming titles coming from he posted earlier this year but things change.

2 hours ago, Omen II said:

Henry Mancini?

A Shot In The Dark?

5 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

I would think anything left unreleased of Goldsmith’s scores from the 60s would not be considered masterpieces. Same for Herrmann, unless it’s Psycho. 

5 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Well Psycho never had an original soundtrack album, so its not that.

Plus, the master tapes have been known to exist for a long time.

14 minutes ago, El Jefe said:

I could think of a few others, Laurence Of Arabia, Mysterious Island, In Harm’s Way (again), It’s A Mad Mad Mad Mad World or Zulu.

Lawrence would have been magnificent, but I doubt it. Anyway, the old Varese album covers the most important cues.

1 hour ago, El Jefe said:

There’s some speculation over at FSM that they may have found Bernstein’s Hallelujah Trail.

That was my first thought, as it seems to fit the description exactly. That would be wonderful news!

7 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

Goldsmith was composing one masterpiece after another in the 60s. Doug didn’t exactly say this one was a masterpiece, just that it was one of his favorites. There are three Goldsmith scores this could absolutely be:

In Harm’s Way — this is the least likely because Intrada already released a slightly expanded edition with much improved sound, but we all know it’s an absolute top favorite of Doug’s and it’s conceivable Intrada might have been pursuing another reissue with Sony before they closed third party licensing, and somehow discovered the complete score at last.

The Chairman — this is far more likely (and IMO totally is a masterpiece). All CD issues so far of the original stereo album have had to be mastered from vinyl, and the last CD from Prometheus was far from recent. It’s entirely likely that Intrada would have pursued a release of that album program, making the search again for original album masters, and then being surprised to discover not only them but the complete score at last, in the same place.

Hour of the Gun — I think this might be the most likely Goldsmith option, due to Doug’s wording about “previously unreleased complete soundtrack”...you see the film recording of this fine score has never ever been released at all; the album was a truncated re-recording with smaller orchestra (similar to Waxman’s Tara’s Bulba also from UA in the 60s...which is why Prometheus enlisted Tadlow to produce a new complete recording matching the full original orchestrations, as Tadlow had done for the Waxman score previously). I could well believe Doug would describe this as one of his favorites, Intrada having produced an album recording CD reissue in the past (before Varese did). Also, we’ve seen this before with UA titles of the era which are usually thought lost to time, but which can sometimes surprise show up as having been sent complete to the licensing record label and never sent back to the studio to be lost. Isn’t this what happened with Bernstein’s The Great Escape? (or maybe it was some other score of his I’m remembering)

Even though I think Hour of the Gun is most likely (and would be awesome), because we have that great Tadlow recording I’m instead crossing my fingers for The Chairman extra hard, because Tadlow was not able to get access to the original written scores for that produce a new recording like they wanted.

Yavar

Geez, leave 'Hour of the Gun' alone, it's a perfectly well-written score that doesn't need any more exposure after the re-recording. 'The Chairman' is great, but there just wasn't much more in that movie, either, so i hold out for 'Shot in the Dark' or 'HT'.

You’re likely to be disappointed then because you’re not paying very close attention. I very much doubt Roger would have omitted Bernstein from even his expanded list of upcoming composers...and “A Shot in the Dark” would be wonderful but it never had an original album that Intrada would have been pursuing a release of on its own, before discovering the complete score.

You’re also wrong about The Chairman. There is significant unreleased music as Jeff Bond continually brings up.

Yavar

Yavar, relax, we're not writing a thesis on this shit. And i once saw 'The Chairman' and there sure wasn't a significant amount of music left off (certainly not showstoppers like 'Fire Fight').