The Official Intrada Thread

Trent B

• 2 weeks later...

First clue for Tuesday's new title:

Mid-80s (mostly) action score features a re-issue of earlier Intrada release that was a quick sell out. But while that release was taken from a transfer of the composer's 1/4" copy of the score, this release features a new mastering from the first-generation multi-tracks housed in the studio vaults, providing a more detailed, crisper presentation, correcting a few pitch issues and featuring bonus tracks from composer's family member.

http://www.intrada.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=7804

My first 2 thoughts were RED DAWN by Basil Poledouris or BABY: SECRET OF THE LOST LEGEND by Jerry Goldsmith, but neither was sourced from 1/4" tape on their prior Intrada edition.  The press release for both indicated they came from the studio archives (BABY was a digital recording).

15 minutes ago, Jay said:

First clue for Tuesday's new title:

http://www.intrada.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=7804

My first 2 thoughts were RED DAWN by Basil Poledouris or BABY: SECRET OF THE LOST LEGEND by Jerry Goldsmith, but neither was sourced from 1/4" tape on their prior Intrada edition.  The press release for both indicated they came from the studio archives (BABY was a digital recording).

I wouldn't imagine this was a quick sell out but what do I know.

Possibly?

REMO WILLIAMS: THE ADVENTURE BEGINS

Reissue of exciting, fan-favorite soundtrack by Craig Safan to first REMO WILLIAMS tale, directed by James Bond veteran Guy Hamilton, starring Fred Ward, Joel Grey. (A short-lived TV series was launched after first film hit theaters.) Main theme appears during opening but Safan devotes bulk of his time to rousing adventure, pulsating action, sweet Korean theme. He writes with interesting use of brass section as one giant percussion device - in fact, at times entire orchestra plays resounding rhythmic ideas as complete themes unto themselves. Exciting! Intrada CD uses same 1/4" 15 ips two-track stereo mixes (from composer) as previous release but happily fixes incorrect channel balance issue for first time. (Even composer's masters were incorrect.) Complex score requires large orchestra, adds vibrant array of synthesizers, then adds layer of authentic Korean musicians. Each element was recorded separately, then mixed into composite two-track analog format. Numerous layers of analog tape adds degree of hiss to masters but crisp, vibrant recording compensates. Besides correcting reversed channel anomaly, Intrada places ferris wheel source music at end of album as "extras". Intrada release is primarily for fans who've missed out in the past and want another chance to own this dynamic soundtrack. Craig Safan conducts. Intrada Special Collection limited to 1000 copies!

6 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

BTTF2?

BTTF2 was sourced properly from studio elements, and is also late 80s not mid 80s

6 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

I wouldn't imagine this was a quick sell out but what do I know.

Possibly?

REMO WILLIAMS: THE ADVENTURE BEGINS

Oh, that's gotta be it.  Roger posted a little while ago that a Safan title was coming soon.

EDIT: Yup!  It sold out in 2 days.

http://www.filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=81073&forumID=1&archive=0

EDIT 2: Woops, he didn't say Safan was coming.  I was thinking of this comment and mixed up Safan with someone else.

Yea can't say I've ever heard it before.  Love his Last Starfighter score, though.

Sorta like how I was super excited to get D. Newman's Operation Dumbo Drop score last year mostly because I watched the movie 50 times on VHS in 1996.  Although I think people unfamiliar would be surprised how good that score is.

49 minutes ago, Jay said:

Yea can't say I've ever heard it before.  Love his Last Starfighter score, though.

Aren't we basically 80s kids? But no, I've never seen or heard it either.

Doug made a forum post about it:

I must mention it's really cool to read such interesting responses. You folks stay very well informed with this music and these composers and it really does help make the often high costs and frequent headaches in producing the albums for you a pleasant experience. As Roger mentions, this current release does indeed greatly improve on the previous version, primarily in correcting pitch issues caused by the original studio mixes going from digital through analog down to the composer and in roundabout fashion being further transferred for us, creating inconsistencies in pitch somewhere along the way. Happily having for the first time the actual first generation studio source masters now let us address the pitch errors as well as add some (really trivial) extras. :)

Anyway, I sincerely thank you for helping keep all of this alive! Now I turn you back over to Roger.
--Doug

http://www.intrada.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=79253#p79253

& Doug's Corner:

5/10/2018

Next on our docket for new CD releases is actually a revisit… but only of sorts. First issued over ten years ago and a fast sell-out, we’ve completely remastered it for the first time from studio vault elements. While our earlier release technically came from studio masters, it actually was a mix-down from digital formats, then hastily copied over to 1/4” analog tape for the composer who later re-copied it back to a DAT and then eventually copied it again over to us. Somewhere along the way, this resulted in pitch issues amongst other anomalies. Everything now comes from studio-vaulted first generation session multi-tracks and arrives for your enjoyment on CD this coming Tuesday, May 15. We’re even premiering a couple of source cues conducted by the composer at his sessions as well as some minor contributions from one of his family members. Golly! Sound samples, artwork and contents should appear here early Monday evening prior. It’s a great one if you love action, especially remastered. Order away!

Also check out what our fellow film-music-producer-in-the-trenches, Lukas Kendall, is up to, now embarking on a new career path. Check out this link and consider helping him become the future movie director he deserves to be: egg.me/at/skyfighter

Whether it be film music or the movies the music goes with, it’s an exciting time!

http://www.intrada.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=7809

Since the 2006 edition of Remo Williams was be Perseverance Records (Intrada's edition was 2011), it doesn't seem to be that.  So we're back to square one.

How many soundtrack composers were there who would have family members help out with their scores? Other than Williams, Goldsmith and the Newmans, I can't think of any.

Oh sure, the initial clue immediately made me think of RED DAWN by Basil Poleodouris (Zoe could have provided something) or BABY: THE SECRET OF THE LOST LEGEND by Jerry Goldsmith (Joel could have provided something), but then both were ineligible when I saw the prior Intrada edition was not sourced by composer-provided 1/4" in either case.

• 2 weeks later...

Roger's clue for next week's title:

Late 60s fantasy gets its premiere release. And through a quirk of timing makes it look like we're running on a theme. But just briefly.

http://www.intrada.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=7824

Exciting new haul from Universal - upcoming from Intrada in 2018:

Doug Fake chimed in at their Intrada forum:

Closed off? Someone forgot to inform us or our friends at Universal about this. We have a whole pile of Universal titles coming up. As someone once said, more titles than you can shake a stick at. It all depends on which studio clears what projects at any given point in time. We proudly work with every one of them. And in Universal's corner, quite a few projects are nearing the finishing line. Yayyy. --Doug

http://www.intrada.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7831

35 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

Yeah that made me think of The Mummy too.

The Mummy would be most welcome. 

My dream will always be a twofer of Sugarland Express and The River, but that's a fool's hope.

Born on the Fourth of July or Far and Away would be great!

3 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Born on the Fourth of July or Far and Away would be great!

I could live with those.

My most wanted at Univesal:

Williams - DRACULA & Eiger Sanction, Earthquake, Far and Away

Horner - APOLLO 13 & Pursuit of DB Cooper, batteries not included, Sneakers, Casper, A Beautiful Mind

Elfman - Midnight Run, Nightbreed, Darkman, The Frighteners, Pyscho

Silvestri - Death Becomes Her, Mummy Returns

Goldsmith - Small Soldiers, The Mummy

and Army of Darkness by Joseph LoDuca

Roger has posted the first clues for Tuesday's new release

I'm giving a clue a day early because we're going to announce a day early since I'll be traveling next week. One CD, two scores. Two LP programs actually from mid-60s films that were on board the 60s spy craze. Ish.

One was previously released "over seas" the other has not been on CD before.

http://www.intrada.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=7838

Those are spy movies?

Yep, just looked up up on wiki, they are spy parody films.  TIL.