DONATIONS REQUIRED TO KEEP JWFAN RUNNING Read more... ×

On 6/11/2018 at 6:07 AM, Jurassic Shark said:

So does the Mainstream label have anything interesting in their vaults to look forward to?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mainstream_Records

Well in addition to this latest twofer and Mandel's Harper, Intrada has in the past few years also done new editions from the original tapes for Jerry Goldsmith's The Trouble With Angels (expanded with film stems) and the unique Stagecoach album recording, paired with Malcolm Arnold's The Heroes of Telemark.

Maybe a new release of The Collector by Maurice Jarre from original tapes?

A new edition of Goldsmith's A Patch of Blue? Intrada put out their last edition of this over 20 years ago.

Barry's King Rat?

Rota's Juliet of the Spirits?

There are also works by other obscure but talented film composers like Ruby Raksin (David Raksin's brother), Elliott Kaplan (no relation to Sol Kaplan as far as I know), and more...

Yavar

6 hours ago, Jay said:

Small update from Roger about their continued work with Universal:

We have a couple of Universal titles coming out next month if they can get through the system in time. Not Conan though. Still working through paperwork on that one.

At this point I usually keep forgetting whether they've released it yet.

The original recording of The Destroyer is so awfully performed that I'm really not interested in a possible upcoming expansion from Intrada. Both re-recordings are gorgeous though.

I still want it because Basil conducted it. Plus, I'm hoping that the performance can be "improved" in similar fashion to what Michael Mattesino painstakingly did for Superman IV, piecing together the best parts from multiple takes:

http://www.jwfan.com/?p=4066

"NSB: The biggest job for the shortest film. That makes a lot of sense. Can you explain the differences between having every recorded take and the selected takes?

MM: It means you have a lot more material to listen to, which means a lot of data to manage. Creatively it means you have the extra step of figuring out the accurate performance of each cue. Paperwork is sometimes helpful with this, because selected takes are often circled, but quite often I have to check cues against the film to determine exactly where edits were done, and so on. As Superman IV progressed, however, I took a bit more liberal approach since much of the music hadn’t been heard and the performance was shaky, mainly because the budget allowed for very few takes per cue, but having them all gave me the opportunity to create the best musical performances possible.

NSB: And you did this by not only combining takes, but also replacing individual instruments at times, right?

MM: Definitely. That’s one of the advantages of having the multi-track. If there’s a noise or a bum note you can take care of it right at the source without having to touch the tracks not affected by it. I fixed a lot of clams in one take by finding the same note played correctly in another, which is something they weren’t doing until all music editing started going digital. The disadvantage of multi-track is when you’re remixing something that has already been released because it’s very easy for it to go astray and end up sounding different form what listeners are used to and what the original artists intended. With Superman IV, however, the movie didn’t sound very good and there had never been a soundtrack release, so in a sense this freed me up in how I could approach it, which was basically to make it the best musical presentation possible."

Yavar

Intrada is working on at least 3 Horner titles and 2 Goldsmiths, no Williams though

Coming the rest of the year, albums by Jerry Goldsmith, Alan Silvestri, Bill Conti, James Horner, More Goldsmith, more Horner, Andrew Powell, Arthur B Rubinstein, even more Horner, possibly Max Steiner, and more

http://www.intrada.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=7848

I wonder what the Silvestri could be

2 minutes ago, Jay said:

Maybe Flight of the Navigator?  I'm not hoping for it, it's dated as heck and not one of his best as I remember it.

Fingers crossed for a complete release of The Lonely Guy, the only remaining JG score to receive a soundtrack LP (albeit with only two score cues and a song he was involved in) but no CD. It's a wonderful orchestral score (actually my favorite work of his by far in 1984) and I can't wait for other people to discover it.

Yavar

2 hours ago, Jay said:

Goldsmith and Silvestri were mentioned back to back. So maybe... 

...wait a minute! Are these emoticons :john: :jerry: :james: supposed to represent specific composers?!

So maybe it could finally be The Mummy and The Mummy Returns.

2 minutes ago, Brundlefly said:

Are these emoticons :john: :jerry: :james: supposed to represent specific composers?!

Yes

Let's see, as far as Horner goodness goes...well, while I have Land Before Time and find the album perfect as is, I'm sure folks would be quite ecstatic to see it reissued. 

Fievel Goes West's album is also fine, though there's some unreleased music I've always missed. While I prefer it to the original American Tail (both score and film), I've always been baffled this bit wasn't on the album.

3 hours ago, Brundlefly said:

Goldsmith and Silvestri were mentioned back to back. So maybe... 

...wait a minute! Are these emoticons :john: :jerry: :james: supposed to represent specific composers?!

So maybe it could finally be The Mummy and The Mummy Returns.

Oh gosh, from your mouth to God's ears...(and I'm not even remotely religious) :)

I really hope you're right!

Here's my top want list for Goldsmith releases from Intrada though:

1. The Lonely Guy 
2. A Tree Grows in Brooklyn
3. The Last Castle 
4. MacArthur
5. Leviathan
6. Anna and the King 
7. S*P*Y*S
8. The Don Is Dead
9. The Reincarnation of Peter Proud
10. The Mummy / Mulan (these three are at the bottom of the list only because I can make do with the unmentionables I have for now, though I'd love complete official releases with great packaging/liner notes/sound)

For Horner I'm hoping for Willow expanded and Romeo & Juliet rejected of course, but also Volunteers (which Roger has been trying to do for some time) and Young Guns rejected...

Yavar

4 minutes ago, Yavar Moradi said:

3. The Last Castle 
4. MacArthur
5. Leviathan
10. The Mummy / Mulan

These are the releases I'm hoping for. I don't know the rest that good, so right now it's much lower priority for me. Of the aforementioned titles I just own The Mummy, because The Last Castle can get an expansion at any time, MacArthur is OOP, Leviathan is OOP and the OST of Mulan doesn't seem to be worth owning, so I'm also waiting for that one.

Apollo 13, I hope is one of them. Fully expanded to its complete form and not as a repress of the promo program. 

Willow I hope happens this year. We know it's been in the works. 

I'd love to see The Land Before Time grace as a 2cd project. 

4 hours ago, Amer said:

Willow I hope happens this year. We know it's been in the works. 

Both of which celebrate their 30th anniversaries this year.

Karol

21 hours ago, Amer said:

Considering the film itself was very short at only an hour and nine minutes, stretching the score (which wasn't quite wall-to-wall) to 2 CDs would indeed be an impressive feat. :)

There was only a single cue (though fairly lengthy, as most of the cues in this score) left off of the original release, Amer. I would love to get an expansion with it though! (Also Balto is missing around a quarter hour of music, mostly really good stuff!)

Yavar

Meanwhile, at Intrada

For those who are pining for something completely new that's not a reissue or expansion, pay attention! Our latest album comes from a marvelous orchestral score from a late '80s drama. One uber soundtrack fan will be in heaven over this release.

http://www.intrada.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=7852

"Late 80s drama that never had a score album" certainly has a TON of options, but "One uber soundtrack fan will be in heaven" makes me think its a Conti for henry.

Apparently Conti scored the US cut of Besson's The Big Blue?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Big_Blue

Apparently all CD versions have only been Serra's original score

http://www.soundtrackcollector.com/title/1708/Big+Blue%2C+The

People on both FSM and Intrada have guessed Andrew Powell's Rocket Gibraltar, but I dunno what that has to do with an uber soundtrack fan

22 minutes ago, Jay said:

Meanwhile, at Intrada

http://www.intrada.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=7852

"Late 80s drama that never had a score album" certainly has a TON of options, but "One uber soundtrack fan will be in heaven" makes me think its a Conti for henry.

Probably an OST reprint for Thor.

Doug's Corner on tonight's new Intrada title:

6/24/2018

Going on sale Tuesday, June 26 is not only our newest CD, but the first one produced with our friends Peter Hackman of Varese Sarabande and Edwin Wendler expressly in mind. Peter rates this score as having been his own “holy grail” until now. It’s certainly a rich and rewarding, never-before-released gem from the Columbia Pictures catalog. Listen to sound samples and peruse the artwork and contents on Monday evening prior.

http://www.intrada.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=7857

That confirms it's Andrew Powell's Rocket Gibraltar, then.

3 hours ago, Jay said:

Doug's Corner on tonight's new Intrada title:

http://www.intrada.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=7857

That confirms it's Andrew Powell's Rocket Gibraltar, then.

There were some nice sample cues posted on the FSM board from this, back when it was a mystery title. Interesting release!

Check them out for yourself here:

https://www.filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=113673&forumID=1&archive=0

Yavar

I have been listening to Battlestar Galactica, Volume 1 (Stu Phillips). What a magnificent recording of a great score! I haven’t done a side-by-side comparison with the old Anthology, but the Intrada sounds way better than I remember the Anthology being.

Roger's clue for next week's new Intrada title

Coming July 10th

Or maybe a few days later, but it's a 2-CD set from a late 90s action/adventure/thriller/horror/comedy...frankly I'm exactly sure how to classify the film. Massive epic score though and finally due its expansion.

http://www.intrada.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=7864

I'm 90% sure that this is finally The Mummy!

Or maybe a few days later, but it's a 2-CD set from a late 90s action/adventure/thriller/horror/comedy...frankly I'm exactly sure how to classify the film. Massive epic score though and finally due its expansion.

The description of the genre as well as a few other clues fit perfectly the description of The Mummy

1 minute ago, Brundlefly said:

The later is not necessarily massive, is it?

I would say it is definitely among the largest in Elfman's career.

Karol

The complete score of Sleepy Hollow ABSOLUTELY requires 2 CDs, it's not even close to all fitting on one CD.

But Roger's clue clearly indicates The Mummy, not Sleepy Hollow.