1 hour ago, Falafel said:

Wouldn't Conan be 3 disc like the first?

I don't know if Conan the Destroyer would have enough material to fill three discs (even if they include the original OST).

13 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I'd prefer that they announced the titles when they were initially going to, regardless of when the titles are ready to be sold/shipped.

Yep. Surely their ordering system can take orders but not take payment until dispatch?

I don't really see why they don't at least announce the titles, if the only thing holding them up is delivery to their office. Surely once all contracts are signed, it can't fall through. (or at least poses the same risk as releasing any normal CD)

14 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I'd prefer that they announced the titles when they were initially going to, regardless of when the titles are ready to be sold/shipped.

Patience is a virtue... 

10 hours ago, Incanus said:

I don't know if Conan the Destroyer would have enough material to fill three discs (even if they include the original OST).

Yeah, even with recorded alternates, even replicating the OST on a second disc, and even with filling out that 2nd disc with the complete score to The Adventures of Conan: Sword and Sorcery Spectacular as the Tadlow did (and remember, BSX had to pull that score from their Basil Poledouris Vol. 1 release after they'd announced it...maybe because someone else had licensed it out from under them?)

I would be beyond shocked if Conan the Destroyer was a 3 disc set. In fact I wouldn't even be surprised if it was a single disc, unless the Spectacular is being included with it.

Yavar

21 minutes ago, Jay said:

I think the only Trevor Jones scores I've ever bought are Cliffhanger and Dark City

Trevor Jones has composed some good stuff. Fun themes in "Nate and Hayes/Savage Islands" and indeed ""Cliffhanger",

beautiful stuff in "Dinotopia" and there's something quite special about the first track of "Cleopatra" too.

On the other hand, his ""Around the World In 80 Days" is quite generic orchestral stuff that, for some reason, fails to really register with me.

9 minutes ago, Jay said:

I forgot I also randomly have the OST to his 1998 Merlin score

I like that too!  Mostly because I hardcore into that miniseries when I was 10 or 11.

5 minutes ago, Jay said:

I can't remember if I watched it or not at the time.  I probably did?

It was the age of the big budget miniseries events on network television.  My favorites were Merlin, Storm of the Century, and The 10th Kingdom.

I used to watch all the big Stephen King ones - The Stand, The Langoliers, The Tommyknockers.  Never saw The Shining or Storm of the Century though

1 hour ago, Jay said:

How about WILD PALMS, there's a 90s miniseries nobody remembers but me

I sure don't!  Of course it aired in '93 which is a few years before my age of rabid TV consumption.  I was so into TV between ages, like, 9 and 13.  I knew the lineups of every broadcast network (remember I only had ABC, NBC, CBS, PBS, and FOX).  Then I got older and realized most of TV sucks haaaaard.

Well. Roger at Intrada just dropped the clue for the second 2cd set. 

Also coming 7/17, a 2-CD set from a early 00s action/adventure/thriller/horror/comedy...frankly I'm exactly sure how to classify the film but it was overly frenetic. Not like the more fun earlier one. Massive epic score though and finally due its expansion, especially since nothing from the last part of the movie made it to the album

spacer.gifit's THE MUMMY RETURNS! 😉

1 hour ago, Amer said:

Well. Roger at Intrada just dropped the clue for the second 2cd set. 

Also coming 7/17, a 2-CD set from a early 00s action/adventure/thriller/horror/comedy...frankly I'm exactly sure how to classify the film but it was overly frenetic. Not like the more fun earlier one. Massive epic score though and finally due its expansion, especially since nothing from the last part of the movie made it to the album

spacer.gifit's THE MUMMY RETURNS! 😉

Prepping my wallet for some purchases then.

Fate intervened and freed Goldsmith of another impossibly bad movie with 120 minutes of score - he was already seriously ill in 2001 - and gave instead Silvestri a chance to shine, and that he did. Only in retrospect these bold adventure scores appear as a fin de siecle. 

Doug wasn't wrong. Silvestri really packed heck of a punch with his music and the score is if not his finest among them surely.

The Mummy is equally amazing late career Goldsmith. Every time I listen to it these days I get a bit nostalgic thinking how no one outside a select few writes/is allowed to write action/adventure stuff that way anymore.

1 hour ago, Holko said:

Huh. Gonna check out the OST then, maybe the movie if I really like it.

3 tracks in, I'll definitely watch the movie, no matter how shitty, for a full score evaluation.

I was a big fan of the first movie (and score) and couldn’t have disliked the sequel more if Fraser had turned to camera and started insulting my mother.

This alone has kept me over the years from checking out Silvestri’s score.  I will remedy that, though, don’t you worry.

2 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

I was a big fan of the first movie (and score) and couldn’t have disliked the sequel more if Fraser had turned to camera and started insulting my mother.

This alone has kept me over the years from checking out Silvestri’s score.  I will remedy that, though, don’t you worry.

The score has its moments, but is quite repetitive. It'll be interesting though to get the music from the last part of the film.

The main heroic theme reminds me a lot (what a weird coincidence) of The Cowboys' Mischief motif in its structure. Listen to the OST on Spotify, it's pretty good.

Yep, the OST's great, except noticeably unfinished. Even if I didn't know it has no material from the third act (or something) I would feel very unsatisfied. But that bloody song was needed. In other words: the material the OST is built from is great, but the way it's selected is not.

6 hours ago, Holko said:

3 tracks in, I'll definitely watch the movie, no matter how shitty, for a full score evaluation.

Personally, I quite like it. I really, really like adventure films on the whole anyway; especially of the Indiana Jones kind.

The first film is by far the best, but if you just go along for a fun ride, there's enjoyment to be had with both the sequels as well.

(Oh dear... NOW I've gone ahead and done it...! :P )

18 hours ago, publicist said:

Jup. Couldn't pass on either, though Mummy Returns is arguably the more necessary expansion.

Will it really win me over when the only thing on the album that managed to somewhat hold my interest was the suite at the end?