The Official Intrada Thread

Trent B

The movie is a howler: a Di$ney cold war 'adventure' movie about the true case of two families that escaped from East Germany by balloon. It looks like a WW2 propaganda movie complete with nazi officers right out of RAIDERS (and Goldsmith imagining east german 'folk' music that sounds like a french musette waltz).

Either way, almost entirely forgotten now (except in Germany where it is shown regularly on german union day) it afforded Goldsmith with several of his favourite themes, the exuberance of flying, the struggling family overcoming insurmountable odds and a larger-than-life goverment conspiracy. Stylistically an amalgam of BLUE MAX, CAPRICORN ONE and the Vejour music of STAR TREK, it's Goldsmith at the height of his powers, the strokes are larger than life, the orchestra massive and it consists almost entirely of through-composed set pieces that are just gone since the early 80's. If you don't have it you're in for a treat.

Yeah those scores you mention seem to be very close stylistic cousins. Gladly also some of my favourite Goldsmith. I am so happy that I have quite a bit of Goldsmith to discover which will last for several years. I get to listen to these "new" scores for a long time. :)

But damn this music puts so much of modern film music to shame with character and sheer energy.

Either way, almost entirely forgotten now (except in Germany where it is shown regularly on german union day)

I'm German as well, and never heard of the movie before ;)

Well the circle is compete, Roger has gone from giving clues, to outright just saying what the titles are, to giving no clues or information at all... all the way back to clues again.

For next week's titles:

one new Excalibur title coming which is a little different than usual, featuring choral music from two famous films scored by the biblical film composer master himself.

The other is a late 90s thriller/action flick on the high seas, nearly doubling the running length of the original CD.

http://www.intrada.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=6215

It's very easy to figure that one out, especially when combined with Doug's recent comment that a Disney expansion is coming out next week.

Dinosaur came out in 2000 and what does it have to do with high seas adventure?

Doug confirmed it on their forum

Did we really need more Deep Rising?

A personal comment, admittedly defensive, and why I'm happy to have JWB no longer a member of our Forum discussions:

The answer to his obviously sarcastic query is no. Of course it's no. We don't "need" any of these albums. Therapy aside, we don't need these albums to survive. One can argue about the genuine necessity of music for survival in a world of chaos, but I'm not articulate enough to make the case.

However, in spite of JWB, I have devoted a literal lifetime to making these albums available for those precious listeners who "want" them. Some are hits, some are misses, some people like, some people don't. But the the efforts to preserve them remain valid because I'm also helping preserve and perpetuate a magnificent musical art form for future generations. Sure, I have opinions about the music. I'll play The Wind And The Lion a hundred more times before playing La Cage Aux Folles III again. But that's only my opinion. I would try not to "judge" either one's musical merits per se, but would instead prefer to see them both saved so others down the line could contemplate the merits for themselves.

To me, the music of Jerry Goldsmith, including Deep Rising, is as valid a component of our global musical heritage as is the work of Brahms and Beethoven and Copland and so on and so forth. Be it "better" music, or "worse" music... well, thankfully, we get to make choices like that for ourselves.

Only 33 minutes of Goldsmith's hour long score were presented by Hollywood Records, and even those highlights have been unavailable for some time. I am happy - in fact I am proud - to be able to put together the entire hour for anyone who may find pleasure in the efforts. I'm grateful to Roger, in fact to our entire team, for sharing the goal of making as much film music available as we can, allowing each of you the chance to decide for yourself whether the various projects are worthy of your time and money.

I have no idea who JWB is - but he's not the listener I had in mind when I sweated blood to make the album possible. I'm confident he'll never achieve dreams as big as what we've done here at Intrada... the same kind that all those Townsons, Kendalls, Kimmels, Gerhards, Thaxtons and many others have also sweated blood to realize. And why am I so sure JWB will likely remain an unimportant and self-centered individual? The answer comes from his own words. To him the world revolves only around what "he" wants. He can think no farther.

Thankfully, the world is a lot larger than he.

--Doug

http://www.intrada.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=69222#p69222

And how is Deep Rising? Run of the mill 90's Jerry action/adventure score or perhaps something more?

You decide:

It's premium Jerry crap for a premium crap movie. I never understood Jeff Bond giving it hell for being dumb and simple: there's a time in life for simple pleasures as there is for intellectual exercise.

Miklos Rozsa

Label: Intrada MAF 7134

Date: 1959 / 1961

Time: 0:49:12

Tracks: 13

In modest departure for Intrada's Excalibur Collection, we stay ostensibly with film scores by Miklos Rozsa but travel into his original choral writing domain. Project is a favorite of our conductor, Allan Wilson, encompassing twelve choral presentations drawn from Ben-Hur and King Of Kings.

In modest departure for Intrada's Excalibur Collection, we stay ostensibly with film scores by Miklos Rozsa but travel into his original choral writing domain. Project is a favorite of our conductor, Allan Wilson, encompassing twelve choral presentations drawn from Ben-Hur and King Of Kings, prepared for public performance by school, church choirs, albeit not necessarily intended for performances of all twelve at once. Intrada release is first in decades to feature entire cycle. Most were arranged by Rozsa shortly after respective films were relased (1959, 1961), published by Robbins Music, publishing arm of MGM, with all of them scored for chorus plus either piano or organ. In this recording, organ is heard. Two include then newly-composed material: "The Mother's Love", "The Sermon On The Mount", making them of particular interest. Rozsa made no attempt to literally transcribe his orchestral sonorities into these pieces, rather he exploited colors, ideas best represented in choral terms. Fun to note this present recording came about after Intrada premiered Rozsa's The Red House, where chorus was needed in certain key sequences. Working with conductor Wilson, producers Paul Wing, Paul Talkington, it was natural to engage superb singers of Westminster Cathedral. That fortuitous relationship led to current choral recordings. In addition to "The Twelve Choruses", Intrada CD features incredibly complex original Rozsa choral work, drawn from text of "The Twenty-Third Psalm, Op. 34." This remains one of Rozsa's most challenging choral pieces, with multiple tonal centers, challenging rhythmic material maintaining interest throughout. Notes by Frank DeWald, conductor Allan Wilson, engineer Niall Acott. George Castle plays organ. Allan Wilson, George castle conduct Winchester Cathedral Chamber Choir. Beautiful music results!

01. The Christ Theme – From Ben-Hur 2:27

02. Star of Bethlehem – From Ben-Hur 2:10

03. The Nativity – From King of Kings 2:29

04. The Kings of Bethlehem 5:28

05. Adoration of the Magi – From Ben-Hur 2:03

06. Blessed Mary – From King of Kings 2:17

07. The Mother’s Love – From Ben-Hur 4:16

08. The Prayer of Our Lord – From King of Kings 2:32

09. The Sermon on the Mount – From King of Kings 4:49

10. The Way of the Cross – From King of Kings 4:44

11. Pietà – From King of Kings 5:32

12. King of Kings Theme – From King of Kings 2:53

13. The Twenty-Third Psalm, Op. 34† 7:08

http://store.intrada.com/s.nl/it.A/id.8814/.f?sc=13&category=-113

Jerry Goldsmith

Label: Intrada Special Collection Volume ISC 278

Date: 1998

Time: 1:07:43

Tracks: 35

Premiere release of complete original soundtrack by Jerry Goldsmith for Stephen Sommers underwater monster picture starring Treat Williams, Famke Janssen, Wes Studi, Djimon Hounsou.

Premiere release of complete original soundtrack by Jerry Goldsmith for Stephen Sommers underwater monster picture starring Treat Williams, Famke Janssen, Wes Studi, Djimon Hounsou. Paraphrasing composer: picture had elements of fun but was too graphic for adventure-style music in vein of King Solomon's Mines or the Indiana Jones movies. It had elements of suspense but where Alien relied heavily on sustained scary mood with just short bursts of violence, Deep Rising went full bore with intense action throughout. Therefore, the final score plays for hardcore action emphasising the violent monster attacks. Fans of Goldsmith reap the benefits! Resulting music has ample suspenseful sequences but puts spotlight on aggressive action. While composer's trademark keyboards play role throughout, this time Goldsmith emphasizes large orchestral pallette, elevates brass section to prima donna status, giving trumpets, French horns, trombones and tuba all manner of virtuoso ideas. Even primary "Ottoio" theme, written for gruesome monster of the same name, is usually heard in massive, unison low brass fortissimos. Powerful idea! Hollywood label issued relatively brief 33-minute disc at time of movie's original 1998 release. Intrada now releases the other half of this hour-long score! Many new cues appear but special nod goes to climactic "Not Every Day", where monster is fully revealed, inexplicably missing from original album. Here Goldsmith takes command with his signature brass-driven ostinato writing in dynamic fashion. Great cue! Also included is unused opening sequence as originally scored by composer plus subsequent re-scored version used in final production. Bruce Botnick goes back to Disney's 48-track digital session elements, which he himself recorded with Goldsmith, newly mastering entire CD in vibrant stereo sound! Exciting package prepared by Joe Sikoryak offers flipper cover with choice of artwork plus detailed notes by Jeff Bond. Jerry Goldsmith conducts. Intrada Special Collection release available while quantities and interest remain!

01. Underwater Grave–The Saipan (2:11)

02. The Screen–The Ship (1:33)

03. Wallet Overboard (1:02)

04. The Crates (1:36)

05. Mexican Standoff (1:06)

06. The Necklace (0:47)

07. No Gentleman (0:30)

08. The Torpedo–Lost Communication–The Intruder* (3:20)

09. Pit Stop (0:42)

10. Collision Course (1:15)

11. Boarding The Ship (3:47)

12. Empty Ship (1:54)

13. Wet Repairs (3:41)

14. Stay Close (3:03)

15. On The Road–Dragged Under (1:24)

16. Free Fall– Muscles (2:25)

17. Let’s Make A Deal (4:24)

18. The Ottoio (1:00)

19. Surfing (1:09)

20. Loose Arm (1:17)

21. I’m Out Of Here (1:32)

22. A Fish Story–The Shadow (1:41)

23. Lurking Monster (2:46)

24. Wall Of Water (3:21)

25. Last Meal (1:35)

26. Where Are The Keys (0:37)

27. Leila’s Gone (1:42)

28. The Flare Gun (1:15)

29. Not Too Fast (0:37)

30. Not Every Day (1:53)

31. The Shirt (1:17)

32. E Ride (3:39)

33. Hang On–End Title* (2:55)

The Extras

34. Underwater Grave–Main Title (Original)* (2:38)

35. Wild Drums* (0:23)

* Not Featured In Film

http://store.intrada.com/s.nl/it.A/id.8815/.f?sc=13&category=-113

The Goldsmith sounds actually like something that would appeal to me. But I'll wait with the purchase for now.

The Rozsa disc will make for a great Christmas album. :)

Karol

• 2 weeks later...

INTRADA Announces:

10429221_10152224951947169_5084582310734

BILL & TED'S EXCELLENT ADVENTURE

Composed and Conducted by DAVID NEWMAN

INTRADA Special Collection Vol. 269

In spite of the great amount of source music and guitar performances, David Newman's score to the 1989 film Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure gets a considerable amount of screen time. In fact, it dominates much of the funny and fanciful history lesson with serious, orchestral writing that plays it straight. “It was pretty clear where music was going to go, and what it needed to do,” explained Newman. “It needed to let the jokes play, but it needed to play Bill and Ted’s relationship seriously and with some heart—without being sentimental. We didn’t want to comment on what goofy idiots they were, but we wanted the audience to be able to laugh at it and laugh with them."

A soundtrack album released in 1989 was filled with rock and metal songs, but David Newman’s score was completely absent. Now the composer’s witty, playful and heartfelt companion to the excellent adventures of Bill and Ted makes a triumphant appearance on compact disc, displaying his penchant for sweetness and melody in the comedy genre, along with the action and excitement of a full-blown sci-fi epic. All of the music Newman recorded at his sessions is featured in crisp stereo sound and presented from the original ½″ three-channel session masters and a two-track stereo session DAT that contained some of the electronic keyboard cues.

In the film, Bill S. Preston, Esquire (Alex Winter) and Ted “Theodore” Logan (Keanu Reeves) are two best-friend dudes trying to make a most triumphant video for their band, Wyld Stallyns. Their career aspirations are jeopardized by the threat of flunking history most heinously, so Rufus (George Carlin) flies in from the future to help them and keep the excellent future they will spawn on course. Careening in a high-tech phone booth through time, the two distinguished colleagues bag several notable figures from their class assignment— Billy the Kid, Socrates, Joan of Arc, Abraham Lincoln—to arrive at the school auditorium just in time to make one bodaciously triumphant presentation (and pretty much save humanity).

INTRADA Special Collection Vol. 269

Retail Price: $19.99

Available NOW

For track listing and sound samples, please visit

http://store.intrada.com/s.nl/it.A/id.8816/.f

World premiere release of exciting David Newman soundtrack for Stephen Herek history-upside-down tale starring Keanu Reeves, Alex Winter, George Carlin.Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure consists of time travel both past and future, replete with history lessons come to life: Napoleon, the wild west with Billy The Kid, medieval England, Socrates, Joan Of Arc, Freud, Abraham Lincoln. Newman responds with vivid, action-packed score playing straightman to antics on-screen. Long in coming CD presents all of Newman's scoring in stereo from once-missing actual 1/2" three channel orchestral session elements plus DAT of all additional keyboard cues, guitars, additional fanfares, more. Highlights abound but rousing "Execute Them", haunting "Meet The Princesses" deserve extra spotlight. The pop world was graced with all-song album from A&M label many years ago. At last, score fans get their due! Colorful design from Joe Sikoryak plus informative liner notes by Tim Greiving tie nice package up with a bow. David Newman conducts. Intrada Special Collection Release available while quantities and interest remain!

01. History Lesson (1:22)

02. Future Bill & Ted Leave (1:53)

03. Rufus Lands (1:02)

04. A Lot More Than That (1:00)

05. Austria, 1805 (2:02)

06. Short Dead Dude (2:54)

07. Old West (0:45)

08. Saloon Tack Piano (1:52)

09. Billy The Kid (0:27)

10. Brawl And Ancient Greece (3:33)

11. Medieval England (5:00)

12. Meet The Princesses (1:40)

13. Execute Them! (With Hoo-Hahs) (3:16)

14. Bag Freud (1:31)

15. Prehistoric Pit-Stop (3:43)

16. Thanks, Rufus (0:23)

17. Napoleon Hesitates (0:35)

18. Mall Mayhem (1:30)

19. Wild Speech Montage (2:01)

20. Jailbreak (3:34)

21. America The Beautiful (Ward, arr. Newman) (1:07)

22. Thank You San Dimas High (0:29)

23. Saloon Tack Piano (Alternate End) (1:56)

24. Execute Them! (Orchestra) (3:16)

25. Trumpet Fanfare (0:07)

26. Go Faster (Film Version) (0:18)

27. Coda With Echoplex (0:06)

28. Fleur De Lis (Beethoven, arr. Newman) (0:44)

29. William Tell Overture (Rossini, arr. Newman) (0:39)

INTRADA Announces:

10492101_10152224952277169_6452054650906

CRAWLSPACE

Composed by PINO DONAGGIO

INTRADA Special Collection Vol. 279

The 1986 Empire production Crawlspace afforded composer Pino Donaggio the opportunity to create an exciting, tension-filled score. Donaggio opens the program with the score’s most striking composition: a haunting, elegiac Hebrew vocal, heard in “Falling From Grace With The World.” Most of Donaggio’s music in Crawlspace alternates between mounting-tension-and-suspense cues and occasional flashes of empathetic lyricism representing the relationships of the various young women living in Gunther’s apartment complex. The composer’s chaotic“Main Title” offers a sprinkling of electronics that adds additional color to the score.

This premiere CD release of Pino Donaggio’s chilling horror score for Crawlspace was mastered from the original ¼” 15 ips two-track stereo album master prepared at KM Records and engineered by Michelle Stone for the Varèse Sarabande label in 1986. The master tape was vaulted in pristine condition.

In the film, Karl Gunther (Klaus Kinski) is an apartment building landlord who peeps into the lives of his young female tenants. Crawling from vent to vent in order to observe their sexual activity, Karl isn’t just a Peeping Tom, but a serial killer—a former doctor who practiced euthanasia before moving on to other, less subtle forms of murder. Inspired by his Nazi father, Karl keeps a woman in a cage. He’s rendered her mute by cutting out her tongue, and he slays anyone who comes near his secret upstairs lair. Ultimately, his most recent renter, Lori—a Brown University graduate (Talia Balsam)—proves to be a pluckier heroine than her predecessors. Gunther’s series of brutal killings comes to an end when he gets a taste of his own medicine in the picture’s climax.

INTRADA Special Collection Vol. 279

Available NOW

http://store.intrada.com/s.nl/it.A/id.8817/.f

First CD release of Pino Donaggio soundtrack from David Schmoeller horror thriller with Klaus Kinski as serial killer acting as landlord, peering into private lives of female occupants. Renter Talia Balsam proves to be tough adversary. 1986 film, shot in Italy, is product of Charles Band film production company Empire Pictures which later evolves into horror specialty film group Full Moon Productions. Pino Donaggio steps into his comfort zone, creates music with slashing strings, zigzag figures over pulsating rhythms, other scary musical trademarks. He balances with very attractive themes underscoring lives of occupants. Unusually interesting color is elegiac Hebrew lament, representing landlord Kinski's family ties to Nazis and designed in director Schmoeller's own words to "remind the viewer of the terrible tragedy of the Holocaust". Album originally appears on Varese Sarabande label in 1986, prepared by composer at time of film's release. Intrada CD premiere comes from pristine 1/4" two-track stereo album master made at KM record manufacturing facilities, originally engineered by Michelle Stone. CD retains composer's LP sequencing and audio preferences, including split-second pauses between certain tracks. Graphic booklet design by Joe Sikoryak includes informative liner notes by Andy Dursin plus Flipper artwork that allows you to choose your favorite cover. Natale Massara conducts. Intrada Special Collection release available while quantities and interest remain!

01. Falling From Grace With The World (0:32)

02. Main Title (2:15)

03. The Chase (2:43)

04. Sorry, Kitty (5:25)

05. “Lovers Tonight” Rehearsal (1:44)

06. Voyeurs/Who’s Swimming In Your Bathtub? (4:13)

07. Martha’s Lament (1:40)

08. Rats (1:03)

09. I’m Coming (2:32)

10. The M & M Murders (1:01)

11. The Teaser (2:28)

12. Goodbye, Mr. Steiner (2:02)

13. I’m A Happy Man, Martha (2:01)

14. Blowpipe Blues (1:59)

15. Goodnight, Lori (1:20)

16. Martha’s Lament/End Titles (2:11)

INTRADA Announces:

10511153_10152224952682169_268045700299710376917_10152224952687169_5960138478240

MASTER OF THE WORLD/GOLIATH AND THE BARBARIANS

Composed by Les Baxter

INTRADA MAF 7135

When Intrada previously released a 2-CD set featuring Les Baxter's scores to Master of the World (1961) and Goliath and the Barbarians (1959), it sold out within a day of its announcement. Now Intrada has reissued the soundtracks to these two colorful American Pictures International spectaculars to ensure anyone who wanted a copy could reasonably get one. Master of the World tells the tale of a man determined to end war, even if he must destroy the combined military forces of the world himself. Vincent Price plays Captain Robur, a monomaniacal airman targeting warmongering countries from his fabulous zepplin, the Albatross. A kidnapped scientist named Prudent (Henry Hull) his daughter Dorothy (Mary Webster) and government operative John Strock (Charles Bronson) are unwilling passengers who strive to undermine Robur’s plan from within.

Two years earlier, Baxter would score Goliath and the Barbarians. Set in the year 587 AD, innocent Italian villagers find themselves beset by a vicious horde of marauding barbarians. What the villainous crew fails to realize, however, is that Goliath’s father is among the casualties and the aggrieved son must settle the score. Disguised as a simple woodcutter Goliath is tested by the barbarians in a series of baroque physical challenges, not to mention the erotic wiles of the daughter of the Duke of barbarians. Goliath eventually leads the charge and sends the barbarians packing.

For both films, Baxter broke away from his usual hit pop/cocktail lounge music and composed colorful, epic adventure music. The original LP release for Master of the World was a rerecording of the score, and that stereo LP presentation is presented here in its entirety. After an exhaustive search for the first release, Intrada had located and included 20 minutes of the original film recording of the score, in perfect stereo sound and featuring most of the key set pieces from the film. Goliath and the Barbarians also presents the entire stereo LP program.

INTRADA Signature Editions MAF 7135

Retail Price: $24.99

IN STOCK JUNE 25th

http://store.intrada.com/s.nl/it.A/id.8818/.f

Reissue of Intrada 2-CD set featuring two terrific film scores by Les Baxter, both from American International movies. [Contents identical to earlier release.] First is actual soundtrack in dynamic stereo from 1961 Jules Verne tale, Master Of The World, starring Vincent Price, Charles Bronson, scripted by Richard Matheson, directed by William Whitney. Intrada release from 2009 was first ever presentation of music from original stereo scoring session mixes. Every cue surviving on rolls is included here. Interesting to note that 20 minutes seems cherry-picked from longer score, perhaps destined for one side of LP that never happened. Observation has validity since suite includes main title, vigorous "Topage" cue, impressive main flight theme sequence, two most prominent set-pieces, end title plus actual vocal "Exit Music" recorded for initial screenings of picture. All choice pieces! Also interesting to note film running time is approximately 102 minutes but Baxter scored 14 reels of film, suggesting it was once planned at closer to two and a half hours! Fun thought! CD also features complete original 1961 re-recorded album first appearing on Vee Jay label, presented from stereo album masters prepared subsequently in late 1970's for Varese Sarabande LP. Audio is dated with significant reverb locked in but otherwise excellent. Film itself finds monomaniacal Albatross pilot "Robur the Conqueror" (Price) launching aerial attacks on warmongering countries below. Government operative John Strock (Bronson) determines to stop him. Baxter offers incredibly tuneful score with soaring main theme, dynamic flight music, powerful battle set piece ("The Mountains" on soundtrack, "The Conquerors" on re-recording) plus many other pieces. Worthy of spotlight is lengthier battle piece from soundtrack has entirely different opening, closing as well. CD 2 features original 1959 soundtrack album from American International label, then simply called "Les Baxter's Barbarian". During heyday of Italy "peplum" series of muscle bound ancient warrior movies, Steve Reeves of Hercules fame also made Goliath And The Barbarians, launching successful Goliath franchise. Intrada presents album from pristine condition stereo master tapes vaulted by MGM. Considering age of actual recording, sonics are dynamic, superb! Les Baxter conducts soundtrack forMaster Of The World, Cal Carter conducts "100 Men" for re-recorded album, Muir Mathieson conducts London Sinfonia for Goliath And The Barbarians. Music with muscle!

CD 1 MASTER OF THE WORLD

Suite From The Original Motion Picture Soundtrack

01. Main Title And Dreams Of Flight (2:24)

02. Topage (1:53)

03. Betrayed And Discipline (4:20)

04. Flight Concerto (2:18)

05. The Mountains (5:07)

06. End Title (1:44)

07. Come Dance With Me [Exit Music] (2:17)

Suite Time: 20:21

Original 1961 “Sound Track Music” Album

08. Overture (2:21)

09. Topage (1:52)

10. The Albatross (2:22)

11. Mediterranean (2:50)

12. Over The Rocks (4:39)

13. Master Of The World (1:45)

14. Flight Concerto (2:16)

15. Philadelphia (1:59)

16. Drifting Clouds (3:11)

17. The Conquerors (4:26)

18. Balloon Waltz (2:18)

19. Finale (1:47)

Original Album Time: 32:43

CD 1 Total Time: 53:16

CD 2 GOLIATH AND THE BARBARIANS

01. Goliath’s March (Main Title) (0:55)

02. Landa (Love Theme) (1:51)

03. Barbarian Games (Noisy Village) (3:02)

04. The Sacred Crown (4:22)

05. Sword Dance (3:24)

06. Mountains Of Mystery (5:00)

07. Ride Of The Barbarians (1:44)

08. Night Attack Of The Stranger (2:58)

09. Love’s Farewell (2:37)

10. Rape Of The Village (2:27)

11. Fire Dance (2:50)

12. March Of Victory (End Title) (2:52)

CD 2 Total Time: 34:53

• 2 weeks later...

Clues for next week's releases:

Roger Feigerson writes:

"We have a trio of releases coming on Monday. One is a premiere release of the last movie score by this world-class composer -- a 70s horror film known by two names, but the second and its poster are are pure 70s exploitation at its best. In beautiful stereo from 1/2" masters.

The second features two obscure scores by a man who could easily go from jazz to big orchestral force and dissonance. One is a rejected score and the other is a documentary. Good luck with this one.

The third is a reissue of AIP goodness that went out of print in about a day but deserves a little more time on the market given its profile."

Karol

Doug just confirmed Intrada will release Artie Butler's The Rescuers and Bruce Broughton's The Rescuers Down Under

Patience, people. We're working in those Disney vaults with their hard-working folks just as fast as is practical. In fact, on my plate now are not one but two very big Disney projects I'm now editing and assembling. And many more are in Randy's hands being developed and prepared for licensing as we speak. Gads, we've come out with a LOT of Disney albums over these last couple of years. And we're also working with virtually every other film studio on numerous other soundtracks as well. Randy has a cool slate of things for us to tackle as we and him can position them into our schedules. No one is relaxing around here, that's for sure.

Even at six albums a month it would take years to turn every Paul Smith, George Bruns, Oliver Wallace etc. Disney scoring project into a CD reality. And that says nothing of all the endless still-to-be-discovered-and-restored scores from elsewhere by Goldsmith, Horner, Williams, North, Steiner, Waxman, Friedhofer, Herrmann, Rozsa, Zimmer, Bernstein, Poledouris, Jarre... well, you get the idea.

Will Rescuers happen? Sure, at some point. And a complete restoration of Broughton's Rescuers Down Under, too. But please be patient. I am absolutely thrilled to have Disney also hard at work with the classic animation projects that are happening... but again, it will take everyone there years to get all this stuff pulled from the vaults, evaluated and prepped for transfers, scheduled for restoration, mixing and editing and whatnot. The future holds tremendous excitement for all of us fans of that whole Disney music world, songs and scores both!
--Doug

P.S. For all those individuals who tend to complain that everything has been done and there is so little left to release, I can only point to our plate with Disney alone and say you are so very very wrong. :)

http://www.intrada.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=69689#p69689

The only Disney stuff I'm really wanting now are The Rocketeer, Mulan, and Earth Star Voyager

Oh, btw, Intrada released three new titles this week

INTRADA Announces:

10391395_10152252552857169_8750122738895

DIE SISTER, DIE!
Composed by Hugo Friedhofer
INTRADA Special Collection Vol. 282

In 1976, composer Hugo Friedhofer took on the scoring assignment for The Companion, what would be his last big screen assignment. It was a horrifying tale of family greed, jealousy and murder that ultimately became known as Die Sister, Die! The film gave Friedhofer ample room to display his seldom-heard gift for writing with a brittle, challenging harmonic vernacular. Using an orchestra of strings, woodwinds, a modest contingent of brass, xylophone, vibraphone, glockenspiel, bell tree, harp, piano and a small percussion section, Friedhofer delivered the requisite shudders and thrills. Even amidst all of the contemporary ideas for strings and the significant number of transparent woodwind solos, Friedhofer’s signature Americana harmonies found their way into the score. The resulting score is a rich meld of classic Friedhofer with an all-new voice.

To present this world premiere stereo release of Hugo Friedhofer’s masterful score for Die Sister, Die!, Intrada was fortunate to have access to the original scoring session mixes made by ace scoring mixer John Richards at The Music Centre on 1/2″ three-channel stereo tape. These had been preserved in flawless condition by Michael Lonzo, the director of cinematography for the picture in 1976. The genuine stereo image is crisp and clear with considerable detail

The plot centers on Edward Price (Jack Ging), who hires Esther Harper (Antoinette Bower) to care for his ailing—but also cantankerous and shrewish—sister Amanda (Edith Atwater). His real intent, however, is to convince the nurse to help him murder his malicious sibling so he can claim the family inheritance. Esther gradually uncovers the family’s nasty secrets—including the existence of a second sister, Nell (Peg Shirley).

INTRADA Special Collection Vol. 282
Available NOW
http://store.intrada.com/s.nl/it.A/id.8875/.f

Delicious treat for Hugo Friedhofer fans! World premiere release of original soundtrack from Die Sister, Die!. At tail end of legendary career, Friedhofer scored this independent 1976 Randall Hood horror tale (aka The Companion) starring Jack Ging, Edith Atwater, Kent Smith, tightly written by Theodore Strauss (credited as Tony Sawyer), classily shot by Michael Lonzo. Friedhofer created complex, often frightening score, recorded it in London with members of National Philharmonic Orchestra under orchestrator Carl Brandt. Complete multi-track stereo session masters have been long lost - until now. Surviving in pristine condition after more than four decades, we can all finally enjoy the rewards, intact, presented in dynamic stereo! Though often erroneously credited as a 1972 project, film in fact was shot in 1975, scored in September of 1976 at The Music Centre with veteran John Richards as engineer. Academy Award-winning composer (The Best Years Of Our Lives in 1946) rarely made foray into horror movies but took assignment at personal request of director Hood and cinematographer Lonzo. This gem shows he had natural instinct for genre just the same.

Highlights abound but two intense back-to-back cues ("Visitors Of The Mind", "First Nell, Then Father") are worthy of additional spotlight. Friedhofer moves between suspense, terror in both lengthy sequences with equal aplomb. "Knife For Jethro", "Rooftop Struggle" bring excitement into the shudders. Cool extra: For early scene in cocktail bar, Friedhofer invited his dear friend Jeri Southern to write source cue for piano. Southern, an accomplished torch-singer, jazz pianist, teacher and composer (1940's through 1960's) wrote terrific source piece for London session pianist, then opted to record it herself back here in her home literally with her own equipment. Incredibly, the master for that cue also survived. A rare treat for her own fans! Highly personalized notes by cameraman Lonzo plus graphic design by Joe Sikoryak wrap up this chilling package.

Sad footnotes: Director Hood died during post-production in August 1976 at the young age of 48, just before Friedhofer had finished his score. The news shocked the composer, who was slated to record his music literally just a few days later. Friedhofer continued a period of self doubt, depression, then sadly passed away himself in May of 1981. This CD presents a rare opportunity to hear the work of a master composer nearing the end of a magnificent career. Carl Brandt conducts members of National Philharmonic Orchestra. Intrada Special Collection CD available while quantities and interest remain!

01. Main Title (4:55)
02. Find A Companion (1:29)
03. A Taste Of Ivory (Jeri Southern) (1:55)
04. Esther's Arrival (2:53)
05. Locked Cupboard (1:19)
06. The Word Is Murder (4:29)
07. Visitors Of The Mind (7:01)
08. First Nell, Then Father (6:24)
09. Amanda Is Gone (2:49)
10. The Confessional (2:25)
11. The Ring (2:08)
12. Knife For Jethro (4:43)
13. Rooftop Struggle (3:27)
14. Corpse In The Cellar (2:16)
15. End Title (2:05)

INTRADA Announces:

10488169_10152252553177169_1557468041724

HOUSE OF USHER
Composed and Conducted by LES BAXTER
INTRADA MAF 7136

Back by popular demand! One of the most famous Les Baxter/AIP film scores makes its return to CD after the first issue sold out in record-breaking time. Les Baxter was well known for writing in a diverse set of styles. And while probably most famous for his classic lounge music albums, his work on the AIP Edgar Allen Poe films is probably equally famous. Few of Baxter's original session tapes survive from this period. “We went in a hurry, monaurally recording directly to the soundtrack,” Baxter recalled in 1981, “and nobody really thought of or took much interest in running off a quarter-inch protection. Neither did anyone think of preserving the original tapes for any sort of purpose. As soon as the film was recorded and the music tracks dubbed in, then they were erased or dumped into the garbage can." A true tragedy, which until now seemed to have also applied to his most famous AIP/Poe effort -- the 1960 adaptation of the Poe tale House of Usher (alternatively known as The Fall of the House of Usher).

Nonetheless, a music editor's cut of the music surfaced, in pristine, mono sound quality. While the sources presented the music as assembled in the film, with some volume adjustments to allow for dialogue (many of which were removed during the restoration for this album), it is none the worse for wear and presents a glorious listen to this classic score. The score features an elegantly multifaceted theme that binds the film together, and the score squeezes every possible bit of the Gothic scale, haunted hallway suspense, macabre terror, and melodramatic romance out of the horror genre. The most overtly ghostly presence on the score belongs to the vibrato wailing of an adult chorus—the cursed spirits of the Usher dead. “[James Nicholson] gave me absolute carte blanche,” Baxter fondly reflected. “I had an old castle, and Vincent Price with a strange disease where he hears things from the dungeon and is sensitive beyond belief to touch and sound...What more could I ask for? It was a composer’s dream...Usher was very sensitive for a horror film...The music was very much on the sensual side—in some scenes, almost to the point of passionate.”

INTRADA MAF 7136
AVAILABLE NOW
]For track listing and sound samples, please visit[
http://store.intrada.com/s.nl/it.A/id.8874/.f

Reissue of original Les Baxter soundtrack from landmark 1960 debut of American International Pictures cycle of highly successful Edgar Allan Poe-themed horror movies featuring Vincent Price. (Contents identical to Intrada 2011 release). Also known as The Fall Of The House Of Usher, Roger Corman directs, Richard Matheson scripts. Intrada presents entire score from only surviving music elements available through MGM - the music-only dubbing masters used in final production of film. Happily these include no dialog or effects, albeit assemblies and edits of many cues were, of course, already locked in. For early screenings of movie, Baxter supplied an "Overture" to get audience into proper mood. Cue was dropped from subsequent re-releases of film and initial home video presentations but happily was present on scoring elements and also appears on our CD. Baxter scores for full orchestra plus chorus, writes music both soothingly tonal, frighteningly dissonant. Score is lengthy, covering some three-fourths of the picture! Informative notes by Tim Greiving, handsome graphic design by Joe Sikoryak. Score recorded at Samuel Goldwyn Studios in May 1960, Les Baxter conducts. Intrada CD, an integral part of any Les Baxter collection, now available in our MAF series!

01. Overture (3:03)
02. Main Title (2:00)
03. Roderick Usher (4:02)
04. Madeline Usher (2:50)
05. Tormented (2:24)
06. Lute Song (1:00)
07. Reluctance (3:58)
08. The Sleepwalker (4:12)
09. The Vault (2:36)
10. The Ancestors (2:58)
11. House Of Evil (4:53)
12. Catalepsy (4:13)
13. Pallbearers (2:03)
14. Buried Alive (8:14)
15. Fall Of The House Of Usher (13:50)

INTRADA Announces:

10516887_10152252552522169_3565426068538

SOUNDER/DECISION FOR CHEMISTRY
Composed and Conducted by Alex North
INTRADA Special Collection Vol. 284

Alex North had a deep affinity for the music of the American South, and following his landmark 1951 score for A Streetcar Named Desire he’d been given frequent opportunities to harness this love. One such opportunity came in the form of 1972's Sounder, based on the beloved young adult novel by William H. Armstrong. It takes its name from a hunting dog belonging to an impoverished family of Southern black sharecroppers, telling the story of young David Lee Morgan and his quest to find the chain gang where his father is serving hard labor after stealing food. North’s empathy for the careworn Morgan family is apparent from the score’s opening bars. The main title begins with a haunting, gospel-tinged melody for flute and strings, backed by a soft guitar line. This is followed by a cheerful passage highlighting harmonica, before the piece concludes with an impassioned viola solo— a microcosm of the film’s hardships, joys and sorrows, all masterfully distilled into ninety seconds. Early in the production, producer Robert Radnitz had hired the prominent blues musician Taj Mahal to portray a minor character and perform on screen. Radnitz ultimately became so enamored of Mahal that he insisted the bluesman be commissioned to provide all-new background music, tossing North's score into obscurity. Until now.

The 1953 corporate short film Decision for Chemistry runs a little under an hour in length and was produced by Monsanto Chemical for screenings at schools and other assemblies across America. Its stated purpose was to intrigue boys and young men with exciting scenes from the world of cutting-edge chemical engineering, in the hope that they would choose chemistry as a career track (or at least gain a greater appreciation for the work of Monsanto). North’s score is robustly American through and through. In its grandest and most inspirational moments, it swells with broad, sweeping melodies that conjure the vast and limitless potential of the spirit of enterprise. This is counterbalanced by more intimate passages that sketch, with bucolic whimsy, the life of typical small-town lads. It is the lengthy industrial montages, however, where North is really able to cut loose, deploying kinetic jazz rhythms and lots of busy overlapping lines. Appropriately, North uses modernist touches for the more scienceoriented scenes. It all adds up to an energetic portrait of an artist in full command of his creative powers.

Both scores, taken from mono sources, premiere here and capture a slice of quintessential Americana.

INTRADA Special Collection Vol. 284
Available NOW
http://store.intrada.com/s.nl/it.A/id.8873/.f

Treat for Alex North fans! Two previously unreleased gems, one, in fact, never-before-heard! First on CD is rare early documentary soundtrack for Decision For Chemistry, scored by North in 1953. Industrial film from Monsanto Chemical Company was designed to illustrate wonders of chemistry and science to college-age youth contemplating career paths. North gets incredible opportunity to write full symphonic score, rich with animated ideas, colorful nuances, complex material underscoring numerous chemical discoveries. Moments of brisk activity meld with reflective music, then segue into excitement. Terrific film score!

Second work on CD is never-used score for critically acclaimed 1972 drama Sounder, helmed by Martin Ritt, starring Paul Winfield, Cicely Tyson, Kevin Hooks. Score was ultimately dropped in favor of authentic blues-style music from Taj Mahal. North anchors his work with specific colors representing weary life of sharecropping family and "Sounder" the dog. Harmonica over strings, lazy trumpet, rich harmonies from brass, jazzy solos of all manner, heartfelt orchestral passages… and always that Southern flavor North excelled at in music for numerous films with similar locales: A Streetcar Named Desire, Sound And The Fury, Long Hot Summer, many others. Striking idea worthy of mention: though much of score plays to burdens of family in tale, including incarceration of father, North often uses major keys, not minor, to underscore drama! Combination of mournful ideas underscoring impoverished family set against optimistic educational aspirations of young David Lee make for emotional listening indeed!

Both scores presented in excellent mono sound from composer's personal master tapes, courtesy the Margaret Herrick Library of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences and the North Music Group. Two decidedly different voices from one magnificent composer! Alex North conducts. Intrada Special Collection release available while quantities and interest remain!

Decision for Chemistry
01. Main Title/A Boy’s Choice/Places to See/Back in the Twenties (4:01)
02. Odd Jobs/Frontier Science/Chemists of the Future 2:20)
03. Zero Minus Thirty/Stirring With Life/Industrial Skyline/Research (3:33)
04. Phosphorus Plant/Scientific Supermarket (3:35)
05. Wood Pulp Mill/Vanillin (1:29)
06. Dirty Clothes (3:36)
07. The Silkworm/Spin Dope/Synthetic Fibers (5:36)
08. The Soil Demonstration/Decision for Chemistry (6:10)
Total Time: 30:34
Sounder
09. Main Title (1:33)
10. Father and Son (3:40)
11. Rebecca/David to School (1:46)
12. To the Ball Game (0:49)
13. Sounder/Goodbye, Mama (3:40)
14. Work in the Cane Field/Family Work (2:49)
15. Sounder Returns/Act Like One (2:42)
16. Thanks/Disclosure (2:12)
17. Dream (1:01)
18. Odyssey, Version A (3:27)
19. Odyssey, Version B (3:40)
20. Dejected (1:19)
21. Where’s Daddy (2:46)
22. Work (1:08)
23. Nathan Returns, Version A (1:42)
24. Nathan Returns, Version B (1:46)
25. Home (1:25)
26. Search for David (2:06)
27. Departure (2:36)
28. Source Music (2:24)
Total Time: 45:15

Doug just confirmed Intrada will release Artie Butler's The Rescuers and Bruce Broughton's The Rescuers Down Under

Patience, people. We're working in those Disney vaults with their hard-working folks just as fast as is practical. In fact, on my plate now are not one but two very big Disney projects I'm now editing and assembling. And many more are in Randy's hands being developed and prepared for licensing as we speak. Gads, we've come out with a LOT of Disney albums over these last couple of years. And we're also working with virtually every other film studio on numerous other soundtracks as well. Randy has a cool slate of things for us to tackle as we and him can position them into our schedules. No one is relaxing around here, that's for sure.

Even at six albums a month it would take years to turn every Paul Smith, George Bruns, Oliver Wallace etc. Disney scoring project into a CD reality. And that says nothing of all the endless still-to-be-discovered-and-restored scores from elsewhere by Goldsmith, Horner, Williams, North, Steiner, Waxman, Friedhofer, Herrmann, Rozsa, Zimmer, Bernstein, Poledouris, Jarre... well, you get the idea.

Will Rescuers happen? Sure, at some point. And a complete restoration of Broughton's Rescuers Down Under, too. But please be patient. I am absolutely thrilled to have Disney also hard at work with the classic animation projects that are happening... but again, it will take everyone there years to get all this stuff pulled from the vaults, evaluated and prepped for transfers, scheduled for restoration, mixing and editing and whatnot. The future holds tremendous excitement for all of us fans of that whole Disney music world, songs and scores both!

--Doug

P.S. For all those individuals who tend to complain that everything has been done and there is so little left to release, I can only point to our plate with Disney alone and say you are so very very wrong. :)

http://www.intrada.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=69689#p69689

YES!!! I freaking love Rescuers Down Under's score. It was missing a number of things, including any use of the villain's actual theme, if I remember correctly!

• 2 weeks later...

SWEET!

Doug says:

We are posting a two week sale, running from this coming Tuesday (July 22) through August 4. Our upcoming releases for this year will take whatever room is left in our two small warehouse rooms which sit within our regular office complex. The office environment is being overtaken by the warehouse environment. We're creating office cubicles out of boxes now... which isn't ideal. Employees keep disappearing behind various rows!

We love where we are and don't want to move to another location but the discussion is now actually on the table here. I say pooh on that IF we can move enough of these boxes from our hands to yours.

So... the sale will include EVERY Intrada label release, including all MAF, Signature and Special Collection titles with the single exception of the Disney/Intrada co-branded releases such as Toy Story 3, The Avengers, Captain America: The Winter Soldier and so forth. (Those have certain pricing restrictions.) But all other CDs on our label, be they recent or ancient, be they amongst our hits or our misses will be included with this special sale. The discount will apply to what we have in stock during the sale and while supplies last, of course. We will hold off for these two weeks on our new releases while the sale runs.

The discount will be 30% off of normal retail and all specially-discounted prices should be posted on the site so you need not have to calculate anything. Unless doing math is one of your other favorite hobbies - the first, of course, being to acquire new soundtracks. :)

--Doug

P.S. As to creating more space here vs. moving to a new location... we're probably just kicking the can down the road. But hopefully this sale may make it easier for you to take the plunge and acquire something you've been sitting on the fence about. In any case, thank you for checking things out.

Roger adds:

And just to clarify...we're running this sale in lieu of new releases, so you have a chance to catch up. We'll resume our schedule two weeks following.

Source: http://www.intrada.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=6294

It only works if you order direct from Intrada, not if you order from them through Amazon, or on SAE or MovieMusic, etc.

Alien, BTTF, Conan, Red Dawn and Rambo 1 & 3 for me!

Might just give this a whirl for the likes of Star Trek VI, Generations and Best of Both Worlds. Ideally the BSG78 CD's but they're all sold out.

The sale's only on items that were actually released under the Intrada label. Generations and Best of Both Worlds weren't.

Alien, BTTF, Conan, Red Dawn and Rambo 1 & 3 for me!

You never got BTTF before? For shame, it's worth owning! Definitely is a time to get it especially with it being close to being OOP.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Two new titles coming Monday night

One is a reissue of a previously available CD. Remastered -- of course -- to give it a more natural sound (i.e. less processing!) and resequenced. Plus I really wanted a better cover! Part of a famous director/composer relationship and a follow on to two other albums we've done featuring this same relationship. It's a neat score to a neat film.
The second is pretty obscure and just from the past couple of years. Composer usually known for horror/thriller/action, but also has done jazzy, quirky and melancholy comes some new raucous rock band/country stylings score. Gotta give the guy credit for always trying to reinvent things.

http://www.intrada.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=70199#p70199

Everyone on Intrada and FSM is saying the first is Blow Out by Pino Donnagio and the second they think is a Christopher Young

Yea The Last Starfighter is looking to easily be the #2 catalog release of the year for me (after EOTS), depending on what else comes out