The Official Intrada Thread

Trent B

Both titles were mid-90s, and originally the Biopic was coming out first. Then they announced it was dealyed by the manufacturer and both would come out, then this mid-90s sequel came in early.

Between this and the *disc2 not included error, their manufacturer seems to have some serious organisational and communications issues.

There are less and less pressing plants existing on the planet all the time, and the ones that are left don't have to be competitive because they know there are no alternatives (most of these specialty label CDs are contractually required to be pressed by a plant connected to the film studio in some way)

And now there's a "known manufacturing issue" with CD 2 of *batteries, and they are working with the factory to get a fix.

Oh well, listen to what I can until a fix arrives. Plenty of other goodies to bide the time.

7 hours ago, Jay said:

There are less and less pressing plants existing on the planet all the time, and the ones that are left don't have to be competitive because they know there are no alternatives (most of these specialty label CDs are contractually required to be pressed by a plant connected to the film studio in some way)

I often wish the labels were able to do these releases digitally. Very few of us (I suspect) actually need to have them on CD and these plant issues seem to make the whole think harder.

And yes, I know that for some people, holding the CD, looking at its cover art and having a nice booklet are all stuff they enjoy (me too to an extent), but that sort of physical nostalgia should never come before the actual practicalities of releasing the music.

36 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

And yes, I know that for some people, holding the CD, looking at its cover art and having a nice booklet are all stuff they enjoy (me too to an extent), but that sort of physical nostalgia should never come before the actual practicalities of releasing the music.

That's not the reason. I want CDs, because I want to HAVE the music - whenever and wherever I am. And it's WAV and not shitty MP3.

On the FSM board, LLL said they make virtually nothing whatsoever from any sort of digital release, as they just don't have any real stake in that and in those rare times they do, it's such a loss it's not remotely worth it. I can't recall what page but I think it was a Transformers score they cited as an example. 

Well you have to consider that the consumers of film scores are also collectors and these labels gear their releases to those people.

Isn't it already the case that more scores are released digitally sans any form of physical media, and maybe vinyl if you're lucky?

I also see it from the perspective that non-US customers have to wait a week+ and pay almost as much as the CD in shipping. It just feels a somewhat old fashioned way to deliver music.

And when a pressing error results in thousands of CDs being thrown away, that I have a problem with.

I completely understand the problems with digital business models. I just see a lot of downsides to releasing CDs these days.

From the Intrada messqage board:

The delayed release arrives! The subject of which is honored on a statue that can be found in Central Park in New York City.

Balto?

Most likely Balto. Which is great for fans of the score, but I was personally hoping that Intrada had somehow made an inroad that LLL couldn't regarding scores composed by Goldenthal for WB, i.e. Cobb or Michael Collins. Ah well. Can't do anything about bad blood

17 minutes ago, kaseykockroach said:

I'd be surprised if Balto gets the specialty treatment before either Fievel scores, but what the hey, I'd be game for that one too.

Surprised? But there is a statue of Balto in Central Park. It's pretty much a guaranteed title after that clue.

The album plays fine as is despite missing about twenty minutes, so the added stuff wouldn't exactly revolutionize what's already a good score, it'd just...make a good score last longer! And obviously, that's a splendid thing indeed.

Yeah, he wrote some of his best scores for those types of films. I'm not as convinced by some of his "adult" scores. There's often something terribly melodramatic about those. He's really chewing the soundscape with those, if that makes sense. ;)

Karol

1 minute ago, kaseykockroach said:

I think the only non-cartoon Horner score I really truly love is Aliens. 

Oh I didn't mean those types of scores. I meant his drama...which are usually a drama. ;)

Karol

I'm kind of a weird Horner fan, in that I don't give a shit about any of the scores I'm told I'm supposed to care about. Who the hell voluntarily listens to Willow when Land Before Time kicks its ass? 

Balto is a bit heavy on Don Davis-influence but entertaining enough. No rush I feel. 

Just now, kaseykockroach said:

I'm kind of a weird Horner fan, in that I don't give a shit about any of the scores I'm told I'm supposed to care about. Who the hell voluntarily listens to Willow when Land Before Time kicks its ass? 

Both are much, much superior.

1 minute ago, Incanus said:

Hmmm I haven't heard a note from Balto. Would you guys recommend it?

Balto's indeed fairly minor in the Horner library, and I assume you'll shudder and exclaim "Eww, cartoon music! Mickey-mousing! No thank YOU! Give me Apollo 13 instead! Hmph!", because you're not me who likes Mickey Mouse (but prefers Donald Duck because I'm a badass). 

There are indeed cats in America. The streets were not paved with cheese. That film was all lies. They lied to children. 

And never say never was a thing way before Bieber came along. 

11 hours ago, Incanus said:

Hmmm I haven't heard a note from Balto. Would you guys recommend it?

Yes. There are some less mickey-mousey elements from time to time, but then there's amazing stuff like the last few cues...

If you don't like that cue, definitely don't bother ordering. :) Personally it might be my favorite Horner score for an animated film (and it was his last). The Land Before Time is also great of course but I find the Prokofiev quotes somewhat distracting, and it's honestly just as mickey-mousey at times.

Yavar

3 minutes ago, Yavar Moradi said:

The Land Before Time is also great of course but I find the Prokofiev quotes somewhat distracting, and it's honestly just as mickey-mousey at times.

For me, it does not really sound any more mickey-mousy than a ballet would.  What are some examples of the Prokofiev quotes?

There are bits of Cantata for the October Revolution, Romeo & Juliet, and even Peter and the Wolf all throughout Land Before Time. Here's a particularly blatant lift:

Also check out the second minute or so of this Bartok ballet:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYEijXHFY1w

To one familiar with these pieces, Horner's little quotes are distracting. I still really like Land Before Time, and Balto isn't free of this stuff, but somehow I find the quotes in LBT more prevalent/distracting/bothersome.

Yavar