Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Warrior of Wet Dreams said:

“may look a bit dated compared to Coco or Moana”

 

And close window, fuck this review, bye, that’s the dumbest thing I’ve ever read.

 

Thanks. Don't let your ass hit the window on your way out. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What he meant by dated is that it’s a little rough around the edges. Has anyone seen the Blu-ray or Netflix transfers of Land Before Time? They’re in serious need of cleanup or they need to use a master that doesn’t look like it needs serious DNR.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They're dated because they look like someone hand drew them. That's so dated. Animated films are supposed to look photo realistic, with high resolution computer generated graphics created by sweat shops in remote third world countries. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wouldn't know. I don't watch Disney / Pixar animated shit. The guy who wrote that line probably does. He mentioned "Variana" or whatever the European title for "Moana" is, and when I changed it he said it's because of some dead porn star.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think that starting in the early 1990s - around Aladdin, maybe, or Lion King - , at least in mainstream US movies  hand-drawn animation has its own distinct flavor, probably as more and more of the work was done on computers.  Very bold/bright colors, very smooth lines.  (IMO, animation lost a little bit of character in that transition, but that's just me).  Mainstream US animated films of the 1980s (not just Bluth movies like Land Before Time and American Tail, but also things like The Rescuers) definitely have a look and a feel to them that, to me, feels like it's very "of the time" - or at least the tail-end of an era that began, as someone mentioned above, in the 60s.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's not even an insult to say that. It's just obvious. Look at visual effects. Everything is of its time with regard to visual effects, and I prefer those old fashioned dated visuals of ILM and other companies with models and miniatures over CGI any day. 

Look at that, I used the word dated. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

Info for Feb 28th release

 

We'll still announce on Monday but it won't ship until later in the week. It's a golden age title from the late 50s. First release from us stretching that far back from this studio's catalog. It includes the full score from the film, plus one side of an LP that had part of the score re-recorded. Otherside of the LP was unrelated material that wouldn't be of much interest.

 

http://www.intrada.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=8100

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jay said:
Quote

unrelated material that wouldn't be of much interest.

 

I guarantee at least two people on FSM will be in a complete outrage since that throwaway unrelated material remastered or rebuilt was their Holy Grail.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Holko said:

I guarantee at least two people on FSM will be in a complete outrage since that throwaway unrelated material remastered or rebuilt was their Holy Grail.

 

Thor? :sarcasm:

 

5 minutes ago, Jay said:

How many late 1950s Rozsa LPs were re-recordings that had unrelated material on side B?

 

I haven't studied his LP programs in detail except for Ben-Hur.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Seems boring.

 

Based on what? Just the title? You might give sound samples a listen first before you just make that announcement. Personally I’m interested to hear what this is like. I enjoy Bruns’s score to 101 Dalmatians and his awesome Tchaikovsky adaptation for Sleeping Beauty. I don’t really know his work in live action so I’m quite interested to hear this, and them going so far back in the Disney vaults makes me hopeful they might tackle Clifton Parker’s Treasure Island or Robin Hood....or William Alwyn’s Swiss Family Robinson.

 

Yavar

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Yavar Moradi said:

 

Based on what? Just the title? You might give sound samples a listen first before you just make that announcement. Personally I’m interested to hear what this is like. I enjoy Bruns’s score to 101 Dalmatians and his awesome Tchaikovsky adaptation for Sleeping Beauty. I don’t really know his work in live action so I’m quite interested to hear this, and them going so far back in the Disney vaults makes me hopeful they might tackle Clifton Parker’s Treasure Island or Robin Hood....or William Alwyn’s Swiss Family Robinson.

 

Yavar

 

It seems you like everything with the label "film music". I'd say it's healthy with a critical approach, as there's so much good orchestral music out there that surpasses many a mediocre film score.

 

:)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I didn’t say I liked the score; I said I looked forward to hearing sound samples. There are many film scores and pieces of music in general that I don’t like...I frankly don’t even understand your insulting comments in light of what I wrote.

 

You on the other hand seem predisposed to think in a judgemental and negative way of this release Intrada has clearly spent time and money to produce, without hearing a single sound clip. And then you insult my taste when I clearly wasn’t even familiar with this score! What’s the point? Just to make yourself feel superior?

 

Gotta tell ya, after what you wrote basically scolding me to be more discerning, the smiley face just makes you come off as even more of a jerk.

 

Yavar

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Yavar Moradi said:

I didn’t say I liked the score; I said I looked forward to hearing sound samples. There are many film scores and pieces of music in general that I don’t like...I frankly don’t even understand your insulting comments in light of what I wrote.

 

You on the other hand seem predisposed to think in a judgemental and negative way of this release Intrada has clearly spent time and money to produce, without hearing a single sound clip. And then you insult my taste when I clearly wasn’t even familiar with this score! What’s the point? Just make yourself feel superior?

 

Gotta tell ya, after what you wrote basically scolding me to be more discerning, the smiley face just makes you come off as even more of a jerk.

 

Yavar

 

You're the one who implied that I dismissed the score based solely on its title, so don't come here playing all innocent.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Bryant Burnette said:

Been meaning to block Jurassic Shark for a while.  Thanks for reminding me to do it.

 

I rather like Jurassic Shark's comments generally, but his inexplicable asshole-ish-ness toward Yavar is making me consider adding him to the good ol' ignore list myself.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote
2/24/2019

Join us here on Tuesday for our newest Intrada CD release, turning the wheels backwards many decades to examine some exciting orchestral music from a period Disney film. We get mail asking us to pay attention to the legendary studio’s vintage years and not just their post-70’s soundtracks so for you folks - and everyone else, of course - here’s one from yesteryear.

And in a more-recent yesteryear tidbit, dating from 1995, and one just for fun, Jeff and I were processing orders during a summer afternoon when the phone rang. I reached out to answer it. Jerry Goldsmith was on the other end. His hello was brief and he jumped right into the purpose of his call. How were the sales on the new CD for First Knight? For anyone wondering if he cared about such things, the call kinda proves he did… albeit with qualifications. I said it was doing well, having literally just come in stock. I then told him the activity on Congo was also doing well. That’s the movie of his that came out I think just a few weeks prior to First Knight. He literally said “I don’t care about that one. I’m just wondering about First Knight.” Hence the qualifications. Sometimes he cared about how well his music was being received. Sometimes he didn’t.

Amusing Goldsmith tidbit!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/23/2019 at 12:49 AM, Jurassic Shark said:

 

You're the one who implied that I dismissed the score based solely on its title, so don't come here playing all innocent.

 

I really didn't mean to start a fight; I just thought your "sounds boring" was unnecessarily dismissive of something Intrada clearly put a lot of time and effort into releases, when it seemed you didn't even know the score or film at all. I didn't *imply* anything in response; in fact I asked you a question which you neglected to answer: "Based on what? Just the title? You might give sound samples a listen first before you just make that announcement."

I'm not sure what you would have been basing your dismissive reaction on at the time, besides the title...but I did give you the benefit of the doubt by phrasing it as a question so you could have corrected me and said, "No, based on THIS: _____" (which you again, did not do). So you can clear me all up on this by telling me now: what did you dismiss this release on at the time, apart from the title? I am more than happy to have my baseless suspicion dispelled. ;)

Yavar

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/26/2019 at 8:52 PM, Yavar Moradi said:

 

I really didn't mean to start a fight; I just thought your "sounds boring" was unnecessarily dismissive of something Intrada clearly put a lot of time and effort into releases, when it seemed you didn't even know the score or film at all. I didn't *imply* anything in response; in fact I asked you a question which you neglected to answer: "Based on what? Just the title? You might give sound samples a listen first before you just make that announcement."

I'm not sure what you would have been basing your dismissive reaction on at the time, besides the title...but I did give you the benefit of the doubt by phrasing it as a question so you could have corrected me and said, "No, based on THIS: _____" (which you again, did not do). So you can clear me all up on this by telling me now: what did you dismiss this release on at the time, apart from the title? I am more than happy to have my baseless suspicion dispelled. ;)

Yavar

 

Hi Yavar, I agree that my first reply to you was a tad harsh, and for that I apologize. However, I maintain that "You might give sound samples a listen first before you just make that announcement" sounds quite biased and dismissive.

 

When I read about the release here on JWFan, I naturally checked out the few relevant clips I could find on the website www.youtube.com, which I believe you've heard of, and to me the clips were quite disappointing. But that's OK. No composer, even of the caliber of Bruns, hits gold every time. Hopefully there's some better cues on the Intrada release.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...