The Official Intrada Thread

Trent B

4 minutes ago, MrJosh said:

Why does Roger sigh about Basil? 

4 hours ago, Jay said:

I'm assuming he's sighing because it took so long for Conan The Destroyer to wrap up, or he's sighing because it's not Conan the Destroyer and he knows everyone will ask about it

The Last Castle, Mulan, Six Degrees of Separation, Leviathan, Legend, Supergirl, Raggedy Man, The Boys from Brazil (Reissue), High Velocity, MacArthur, Twilight's Last Gleaming, Breakout, ...

That and much more could be the Goldsmith release.

Williams is hopefully Born on the 4th of July or Nixon.

• 2 weeks later...
16 hours ago, Richard Penna said:

Unfounded speculation: It's such a big or obvious title that if Roger said anything else, we'd guess it.

Conan the Destroyer.

On 3/22/2019 at 5:06 AM, crocodile said:

We have a splendid Tadlow recording. It was a perfect solution and it is the end of this subject for me.

Karol

It’s not for me!

On 3/22/2019 at 4:26 AM, Brundlefly said:

Why does everybody want Conan The Destroyer? The original recording and performance sound like shit!

Because I sold my damn copy of the original when Intrada said they were working on Destroyer and the first film!

😉

11 minutes ago, crocodile said:

Poltergeist II is not a bad score at all. The opening cue is fantastic.

Karol

THE POWER is, indeed, a great cue. In fact, the OST is a very good representation of the score.

"Inner groove distortion" my ass.

21 minutes ago, crocodile said:

Poltergeist II is not a bad score at all. The opening cue is fantastic.

Well, Conan the Destroyer isn't a bad score at all*, either, and its opening cue *is* fantastic and up to par with anything from the first score. I like it more than what little I can remember from Poltergeist II, and no matter how often I play it, I can hardly ever remember anything.

*) Mind you, I still haven't heard the original recording, but the Tadlow is certainly worth having.

16 minutes ago, Richard said:

THE POWER is, indeed, a great cue. In fact, the OST is a very good representation of the score.

"Inner groove distortion" my ass.

Which OST? There's a billion of them!

The biggest problem with Conan the Destroyer is how much Basil had to straight re-purpose from his first score due the the insane lack of time he had to work on it. That's why my preferred Conan sequel score is the short one he wrote for The Adventures of Conan: Sword and Sorcery Spectacular which had all new material in the same vein.

Destroyer has some fantastic highlights like the Hall of Mirrors sequence, which was so good Tadlow even included it as a bonus on their original Conan the Barbarian recording, before they knew whether or not they would tackle Destroyer (and I do also really like the new main theme...sounds almost like a western!)

That said, I will almost certainly buy Intrada's expansion of Conan the Destroyer (obviously will, if it includes the original recording of Sword and Sorcery Spectacular as a bonus like the Tadlow did). Why, Brundlefly? Because, despite all its faults, it's the version conducted by the composer himself, and Basil is one of my favorites. Also, Mike Mattesino was able to use alternate takes and modern tech to work *wonders* with the mess of recording sessions (with two different orchestras in two different recording spaces) for Superman IV. Everyone used to talk about how poor the performance was on that but he used patching and careful reconstruction to make it really sound good, and now I enjoy that complete score as a listen even more than the original.

Poltergeist II is a step down from the original, for me, but I appreciated it more after the great sounding Kritzerland release, and I respect it for *not* re-treading the same ground as its predecessor. It's kinda akin to Damien: Omen II (though I like that score more) -- leaner and meaner than the original, if not quite as viscerally affecting.

Yavar

20 hours ago, publicist said:

Which is utterly useless. I'd go for Willow but probably get The Perfect Storm or Hidalgo (both suit me fine).

I mean, I don't disagree. The Prague recording of Destroyer is all I'll ever need, personally, it just seemed like a good guess for an Intrada title that they didn't want to spoil by giving a clue.

19 hours ago, Yavar Moradi said:

Destroyer has some fantastic highlights like the Hall of Mirrors sequence, which was so good Tadlow even included it as a bonus on their original Conan the Barbarian recording, before they knew whether or not they would tackle Destroyer (and I do also really like the new main theme...sounds almost like a western!)

It reminds me of Rambo II

19 hours ago, Yavar Moradi said:

Poltergeist II is a step down from the original, for me, but I appreciated it more after the great sounding Kritzerland release, and I respect it for *not* re-treading the same ground as its predecessor. It's kinda akin to Damien: Omen II (though I like that score more) -- leaner and meaner than the original, if not quite as viscerally affecting.

I know that the first score is better, but I prefer listening to the second one. Don't ask me why, but it gets twice as much spins in my player as the first score.

So is the Kritzerland 2cd set the better sounding than the new Intrada redux? I have both sets but have not opened the Intrada set. 

10 hours ago, Amer said:

So is the Kritzerland 2cd set the better sounding than the new Intrada redux? I have both sets but have not opened the Intrada set. 

The Kritzerland is the exact same master as Disc 2 on the Intrada. To me, this analog master is a more pleasant listen. I found the digital master on the Intrada Disc 1 to be harsh and friggin ear piercing, especially when Goldsmith uses those synthy shrieks and drones and other high pitch sounds. The Kritzerland/INTdisc2 calms all that.

2 hours ago, dougie said:

The Kritzerland is the exact same master as Disc 2 on the Intrada.

That’s...not at all the case. Yes, those were both taken from the same analogue sources, but they are not remotely the same master. Entirely separate restorations. And when it comes to the analog, most people at FSM seem to think the Kritzerland restoration was superior. Here’s the original Kritzerland release thread for details on that restoration which made the score sound great for the first time:

https://filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=98350&forumID=1&archive=0

and here’s the Intrada thread where people compare it with the Kritzerland. Some folks seem to prefer the Intrada digital disc to the Kritzerland analog, but no one prefers the Intrada analog to either of those, that I remember...

https://www.filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?pageID=1&forumID=1&threadID=119975&archive=0

Here’s the first comparison post, to skip forward to that part of the thread...

294B192A-259E-46D3-AA8D-739E4A366327.png

3 minutes ago, dougie said:

I noticed the tape spinning sound but I didn't know it was tape spinning! I thought it was some weird sound effect that wasn't present before.

Bet Goldsmith recorded the tape spinning alongside the orchestra and it was supposed to be a part of the score... because it's post-modern and shit.

Karol

1 minute ago, crocodile said:

Bet Goldsmith recorded the tape spinning alongside the orchestra and it was supposed to be a part of the score... because it's post-modern and shit.

Karol

Maybe there's a hidden message in the LP...

8 minutes ago, crocodile said:

So I don't really need the Intrada set then.

If you’re a true completist you do, because it has two substantially unique alternates not present on any prior release...and it has the best sounding version of the digital sources. Also better liner notes and packaging than the Kritzerland.

But the Kritzerland has the best sounding analogue program; that doesn’t seem to be getting argued the other way.

Yavar

Considering all these comments, I decided I will keep my (more exclusive) Kritzerland version and relinquish the Intrada set, although I am a Goldsmith completist. I know, I won't listen to the additional alternates that often. Since the main program is the most important part and that one seems to be perfectly represented on the Kritzerland version, that's the one for me.:wub:

• 2 weeks later...

Update from Roger on the Intrada board...

An update to the list: Joel McNeely, John Barry, Jerry Goldsmith, Basil Poledouris (maybe...no promises yet), Bill Conti, John Williams, James Horner, Hugo Friedhofer, Bruce Broughton, Craig Safan, Chris Young, Lalo Schifrin, Sylvester Levay, Richard Band, Laurence Rosenthal, Jerry Fielding, Bear McCreary, Randy Edelman, possibly Frank DeVol and more! And sometimes more than one by these composers! This includes some world premieres, reissues, expansions...a little of everything.

http://www.intrada.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=8108&start=45